i know hes not really kansas kid anymore but heavyweight elijah madison took 2nd as freshman in kansas wrestling for salina central and then went on to get 3 straight 3rd place finished in mo. he lost soph and junior years to dom bradley who was ranked a #1 ranked wrestler in the country. he got upset this year in the first round by a kid who shouldnt not have beat him, he avenged that loss on the backside. hes beaten some great heavyweights in zlatnick and disney...

i dont believe st. thomas aquanis's jed mamie ever won a state title, he was in some pretty stacked weight classes, i believe his soph, junior, senior years he took 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, but i'm not sure. he was a stud though.

turner has some good kids never quite win it. matt bailes went 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, got stuck behind a kid from ark city whose name escapes me at the moment, he gave him a couple great matches but couldnt beat him. that kid beat him at least 2 of those years.

its impossible to say who the best was, but those are a few recent kids that come to mind. i saw schumate wrestle quite a bit and i def. agree that was a great kid who never came out #1 at state.