Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: Cokeley] #133276 12/09/08 01:09 PM
RJW1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley

I would expect this kind of response from 321A. smile However, you state you are from Colby which is 4A????

I'm guessing he is in college here at Colby Community College!

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: Cokeley] #133281 12/09/08 01:48 PM
Z
ZeezDAD Offline
Z
If you a have a big dog that can fight why would you want to keep him in the kennel at home?

Ask Mike Vick... lol

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: RJW1] #133283 12/09/08 01:54 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: RJW1

I would expect this kind of response from 321A. smile However, you state you are from Colby which is 4A????

I'm guessing he is in college here at Colby Community College!

Coach,
You might find out. I am quite sure CCC doesn't want this kind of public endorsement of the quality of education they offer!

ZeezDad, very clever!

The thing that bothers me the most is the number of coaches that I talk to that want to see change in the KSHSAA rules which apply to wrestling but very few vocalize their desire. Somewhere, somehow if the majority supports change we have to figure out how to make it happen. Apathy will not get it done.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: Cokeley] #133351 12/10/08 04:11 AM
321a Wrestler Offline
You have a potential big dog why would you throw them to the wolves and especially so early in a season chance of injury or embarassment 90% of all kansas wrestlers would not do very well in any of the big 3 tourneys that you talk bout. I just think you guys get all hot and bothered over this and for wat reason our debate on this forum means nothing. You want the best for a handful and sacrifice the whole army. I see your point but your logic just isnt in for the good of the state just your self

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: 321a Wrestler] #133354 12/10/08 05:10 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
321A Wrestler,

Freedom is a good thing you must agree? Wrestling, for the most part is an individual sport so certainly there is selfishness involved. 99% would never need to leave the sacred 500 mile boundry barrier but the 1% who want to should not be denied the FREEDOM to do so. You make it sound like I am suggesting that everyone from Kansas should go to one of the big three. I never said that! You tell me how it harms the rest of the state if one team or one wrestler goes to one of the big three tournaments? Just give me one valid reason a willing and able wrestler should not be allowed to attend the tournament of their choice. My logic is: Keep government out of sports! Those who choose to go will and those who don't won't. Neither party stands to gain or lose by allowing the other the freedom to choose. Some wrestlers put in up to 30 matches before the HS season begins. Point blank, I am telling you there is no more risk for injury or embarrassment for many Kansas wrestlers. This debate is beyond this forum and there will be meaningful discussion regarding this topic very soon.

Freedom to choose is good for me and for everyone in the state. That is why we live in the US!

By the way: What, not wat and I feel like my dog is one of the wolves.

Last edited by Cokeley; 12/10/08 11:57 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: Cokeley] #133355 12/10/08 11:52 AM
coach craig Offline
“So have your kid not go out til after christmas,and take him on your own raise the money on your own. I bet past ellite kansans will tell you they got recruited by placing and winning in Fargo. Jayhawk is rite bout that 10%. Which is prolly relevant to the number of kansas get recruited. A big factor is that many wrestlers wouldnt be on the mat in a tourey like that who improve over the course of four years and become state qualifiers,placers, and champions. Why would you want to discourage a young potentially great wrestler by throwing him to the wolves. College coaches know who the big names of kansas wrestling are they will get looked at regardless.”

“Gteat Bend so low hmm. Iam calling that Great Bend will be a schocker in 5a this year with 5 ranked and some kids that set out last year that will make an impact and louis Burley in the mix wouldnt surprise me if walked away with a team trophy this year.”

“cody hanel will need to be taken out of the mix he tore an acl during football finished football and went to wrestling practice for awhile but now has decided to have surgery. im sure he is going to miss the weight cutting,grueling practicesbut still will traveling with the team”

After reading through these posts and others I think there is a greater problem plaguing our school systems. That problem is horrible spelling and lack of coherency. Don’t get me started on the run-on sentences. The butchering of the English language is ridiculous on this forum. These kids need to worry about their grades more than their wrestling right now. I am not perfect in any way, but the stuff I am reading is embarrassing. If you can't spell...use spell check.

I know that this is a wrestling forum and we should talk wrestling, but some of this stuff is hard to get past. Listen in class then work on your takedowns. Please. College coaches do look at grades.

Coach Craig Adams
Carroll Jr. Wrestling

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: coach craig] #133358 12/10/08 12:10 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Coach Craig,

I couldn't agree with you more but did you have to pick this thread? I think it is worthy of being a thread topic! On top of the horrible spelling and grammar, kids do not have decent handwriting skills. The schools rely so much on computers today that good penmanship is becoming a lost cause.

Back to this thread...

Coach, shouldn't we allow travel beyond 500 miles from the Kansas border? smile

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: Cokeley] #133359 12/10/08 12:17 PM
coach craig Offline
Yes we should. I think if a wrestler has the means and does not put it ahead of his team he should be able to compete wherever they want.

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: coach craig] #133361 12/10/08 01:00 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: coach craig
After reading through these posts and others I think there is a greater problem plaguing our school systems. That problem is horrible spelling and lack of coherency. Don’t get me started on the run-on sentences. The butchering of the English language is ridiculous on this forum. These kids need to worry about their grades more than their wrestling right now. I am not perfect in any way, but the stuff I am reading is embarrassing. If you can't spell...use spell check.

I know that this is a wrestling forum and we should talk wrestling, but some of this stuff is hard to get past. Listen in class then work on your takedowns. Please. College coaches do look at grades.

Coach Craig Adams
Carroll Jr. Wrestling

Well said Coach!

It is difficult to give credibility to a poster when the post(s) are filled with grammatical and punctuation errors.

I would strongly suggest StudentOfTheGame and his new alter ego Scouter concentrate on academics in order to ensure their eligibilty to participate in high school athletics. I hope your posts are not indicative of your academic prowess, however the incoherent and error filled writing style are difficult examples to ignore.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: RichardDSalyer] #133432 12/11/08 03:40 AM
321a Wrestler Offline
Sorry fellas i work 12 hours a day and type my posts in less than 2 minutes didnt think this was a formal writting contest. But rather a place to voice your thoughts. Its selfish of you Cokely, budgets are tight for smaller schools. Traveling out of state letting alone 500 miles pretty big deal. What i dont agree with is that other school organizations go all over the united states to conventions with out much thought. In smaller schools its typical to have good athletes torn between basketball and wrestling,a lot to them depends on whether they can make varstity rite away. They have the ability to be great, so why would you want to get them hurt, embarassed, and or discourage their progress. Its acts of selfishness that hurt our sport I realize that you want to see all of our great wrestlers get recruited. Finally it dont matter where Im from, only that I totally am for the growth of our sport and against the decline of our sport.

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: 321a Wrestler] #133456 12/11/08 04:29 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
321A=JV Wrestler,

You still haven't told me how the elimination of the 500 mile travel restriction hurts the sport? If you can't afford to go then don't. If you figure out a way to fund it and you feel like your team is ready then go. If a team doesn't go they are in the same place they are today. If a team does go how does that put the rest of the teams at a disadvantage? I think it is selfish to say that if you don't or can't go no one else should be allowed to. That is exactly what kills the sport! "I don't want to coach in March, April, and May so I don't want to let the other coaches do it either!" These are the rules that make it impossible to grow the sport and make our wrestlers better. Open your mind 321A!

Last edited by Cokeley; 12/11/08 07:26 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: 321a Wrestler] #133466 12/11/08 05:22 PM
Ron James Offline
Originally Posted By: 321a Wrestler
Sorry fellas i work 12 hours a day and type my posts in less than 2 minutes didnt think this was a formal writting contest. But rather a place to voice your thoughts. Its selfish of you Cokely, budgets are tight for smaller schools. Traveling out of state letting alone 500 miles pretty big deal. What i dont agree with is that other school organizations go all over the united states to conventions with out much thought. In smaller schools its typical to have good athletes torn between basketball and wrestling,a lot to them depends on whether they can make varstity rite away. They have the ability to be great, so why would you want to get them hurt, embarassed, and or discourage their progress. Its acts of selfishness that hurt our sport I realize that you want to see all of our great wrestlers get recruited. Finally it dont matter where Im from, only that I totally am for the growth of our sport and against the decline of our sport.

How is it selfish to want schools/athletes that can afford to be allowed to wrestle the best in the country? How many wrestlers that are worth anything are going to be discouraged if they lose to the best in the country? It gives them something to work towards. Earlier you spoke about a "potentially" great wrestler coming away from these tournaments discouraged and not self-confident. As one of my former coaches used to say, "All potential means is that you ain't poop yet." Only he didn't say poop. You have also stated that you support the growth of our sport. How is discouraging KS wrestlers to compete nationally helping wrestling grow?

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: Ron James] #133484 12/11/08 07:40 PM
321a Wrestler Offline
Sorry Cokely not all of us schools out in western kansas have life handed to us on a golden platter. I do agree you should wrestle anywhere you choose. How many of total high school kansas wrestlers would actually place? I go out on a limb and say less than 5. Our main concern out here is consoldation and keeping the sport alive. Its not feesable for smaller schools, wreslers go out of state and pumpkin pounders feel they need to as well. And another issue is that its unlikely school boards will approve such a trip, We all know school boards are buddy systems and in 5 of the schools im familar with thats the total number of members on those school boards combined pretty sad I know. Im looking at it from a logic standpoint out here and its not logical at all unless they go out on their own

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: 321a Wrestler] #133486 12/11/08 07:59 PM
RJW1 Offline
I'm positive that our administration would never approve a trip for our wrestling team that is that far away in our current financial state, but I have no problem with other schools who have the means traveling as far as they want to compete.

Another thing that seems pretty apparent to me concerning most of these rules is that the vote of school administrators far outweighs that of coaches when state and league decisions are made.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: 321a Wrestler] #133487 12/11/08 08:12 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry Cokely not all of us schools out in western kansas have life handed to us on a golden platter. I do agree you should wrestle anywhere you choose. How many of total high school kansas wrestlers would actually place? I go out on a limb and say less than 5. Our main concern out here is consoldation and keeping the sport alive. Its not feesable for smaller schools, wreslers go out of state and pumpkin pounders feel they need to as well. And another issue is that its unlikely school boards will approve such a trip, We all know school boards are buddy systems and in 5 of the schools im familar with thats the total number of members on those school boards combined pretty sad I know. Im looking at it from a logic standpoint out here and its not logical at all unless they go out on their own

Dude,
You are the epitomy of close minded! You don't get it! If most won't do it they why do you need a rule?! What golden platter are you refering to? Do you know where I am from? Do you know anything about me? I am offended by that comment! That is worthy of a cage match challenge! If it is only 1 team that should go each year they should be allowed to go! Just because you can't no one else should be able to... That is total b.s.!

I wish that western Kansas' main concern was how to consolidate instead of fighting it. I hear "If they close the school the town will die!" Well, if that is so, the town needs to die! You don't have any funds because your teacher and adminstrator to student ratio is WAY out of whack! We have too many schools, too many schoolboards, too many county seats, too many county governments and yet everyone doesn't understand why our tax dollars are running out! If your school has an eight man football team it is time to find another school to partner up with! For crying out loud, we crown two eight man football teams as state champs! To me that is flat out ridiculous! Quit crying about your problems and start finding some solutions!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: Cokeley] #133488 12/11/08 08:18 PM
S
S Biddle Offline
S
321A=JV Wrestler, Will, was does this mean? U knocking 321A or what.

Scott Biddle
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: S Biddle] #133490 12/11/08 08:49 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
I am on my anti 321A whiner podium today. If you are 321A and you aren't taking shots at the 4,5, and 6A guys then I am not knocking you. I am weary of the plite of the small school when it goes to the extreme of punishing the larger schools. See All Class Rankings post... Don't take it personal smile

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: 321a Wrestler] #133510 12/12/08 02:51 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D

321a, taking your wisdom to heart, I am no longer going to send any of our kids' club kids to Tulsa Nationals, USJOC, LIberty, etc. I am only going to take them to tourneys that they can win. According to you, the risk of getting hurt (by those mean out of state studs), getting embarassed (I assume this means losing a match), and getting discouraged (I assume you quit when you don't win) are bad for my kids. Do you offer any type of counseling for any of these unfortunate events, should they happen? And it would also be selfish for any of my kids to go and make themselves better at one of these out of state events, and enable him to score more team points for his team come state tourney time. Is there anything else that I might be doing wrong that I can change for ya? I assume you don't want any of my kids to see any sort of adversity. I must be in the wrong line of work. I guess the jobs these kids will get when they get out of school will be all milk and cookies. I guess all that my parents and grandparents taught me is hog wash. We no longer go to tourneys to get better, we go to get medals or trophies. I'm starting to get it.

I'll give a good example of the 321a complainers, that has gotten to me as well. Someone has complained about Colt Rogers not being ranked #1. Sorry folks, but, not taking anything away from Colt, but he is not in Cox or Cokeley's league. I would venture to guess there are several other listed below that he is not capable of beating also. Beau Hentzen comes to mind. But I don't hear Beau's dad, mom, coach, etc complaining on here. Bottom line, these rankings don't mean anything, and sooner or later, the center of the mat will show who belongs where. If everyone wants to see who the Top Dog is, let's do the Grand State again.
1. Trent Cox - 12 - MZ - 6A
2. Ryne Cokeley - 10 - SJA - 4A
3. Colt Rogers - 11 - SC - 321A
4. Bryce Hood - 11 - LOU - 4A
5. Chase Sanchez - 10 - EMP - 5A
6. Spencer Blew - 10 - LS - 5A
7. James Medlin - 12 - HS - 4A
8. Kaenon Keiswetter - 11 - NO - 321A
9. Zach Jesseph - 12 - CH - 4A
10. Trey Houlden - 10 - GD - 6A
11. Beau Hentzen - 10 - BC - 5A
12. Josh Hanson - 11 - BAL - 4A
13. Koty Russell - 11 - LFS - 6A
14. Lane Greenlee - 11 - GC - 6A
15. Alex Bontz - 9 - WI - 4A
16. Jason Harper - 10 - WC - 6A

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: doug747] #133527 12/12/08 04:14 AM
321a Wrestler Offline
Alright brother this is the last time, I could care less bout the rankings never have never will they mean jack. What place did Colt kids at federation 3rd oh well that proves hes no where near the best Im not closed minded Like I said the rules are different for us in western kansas because our budgets are smaller. Enercyst in hays shuts down loss of workers families, Petersons in Smith center shuts down loss of families. You guys dont have them problems we do. Also with the oilfield so irratic thats another problem. Im not whinning bud just stating that school boards in smaller towns very different and would never allow such a trip. Take my advice and hold your kid out til after christmas he can wrestle all the big darn maches he wants. And yes I said golden platter And you have never once answered my question of how many placers the state of kansas would have in any of these tournaments. How is it relevant to the number of wrestlers we have. And a cage match really tap it or snap man u really dont want any.

Re: Ironman Seeds [Re: 321a Wrestler] #133531 12/12/08 04:51 AM
T
tbau Offline
T
What does it matter if the kids place at these tournaments. The point is that if they want to go and have the means to go they should be allowed to go.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 276 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)