Originally Posted By: mommy
I believe it is quite clear why this boy decided to wrestle up instead of where he should have wrestled. He had an advantage...fewer kids...easier competition..better chance of placing?? That is the only time he made it to the finals....hasn't done so well the other years..when he actually has to wrestle the competition. I think it is really too bad that parents would allow their child to "cheat" ...just so they would have a better showing a state. It is even worse that a club would allow this to happen. How many other kids in this club were allowed to do this as well?? Might be something worth looking into. How do we keep this from happening again? Providing birth certificates at Subs? This might be something to be discussed at the State Body meeting next year.

NO MORE PAPERWORK!!!!!!!

Come on folks! There is NO WAY we want to do that. No matter how many "rules" you make someone can circumvent them. I personally, and I would venture to say that the vast majority of those who read this, do not have ANY problem with a wrestler moving up a age group. That is NOT CHEATING! Are we trying to become KSHSAA?

We just started requiring the presentation of a birth certificate this year. Which, by the way, USA wrestling does not require. This rule was created because one of our executives DID NOT do their job and review the birth dates of wrestlers before entering them in a tournament. Kansas ended up with egg on our face because we had a wrestler INADVERTENTLY wrestling in an age group below where he should have been. That whole deal could have been prevented if an ADULT would have done their job. Instead the youth is paying the price for this situation. Just as in this case. The CLUB DIRECTOR should be on top of this or the parents. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not advocate making wrestling more paperwork intensive! Give up this post and move on!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com