Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Ben Dover] #150513 09/23/09 02:57 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Steve,

You stated that you would hope that a competitive wrestler, responsible parent and a competent coach would choose the HS division over going for another Kids title. So now we are back to the JV level HS wrestlers supposedly helping themselves by wrestling middle schoolers. There are plenty of seventh graders that have pre 9/1 birthdates and wrestle 14U. I can think of two sophomores in the past that also wrestled 14U. Kansas is in the extreme minority that still has High School wrestlers chasing Kids medals after their season rather than advancing their skills by FS/GR competition or off season HS Folkstyle. It's not a "fair" issue. It's a competitive advancement issue.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: doug747] #150514 09/23/09 03:00 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: doug747
I don't know if I would call 80% and 76% a good turnout.

I'm always more concerned about who showed up as opposed to how many! But you're right we should always have a hundred percent attendance.

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: sportsfan02] #150516 09/23/09 03:42 PM
Beeson Offline
I'm not sure Kansas is the minority, Tulsa Nationals and Reno Worlds, have a 15U division. What about your High School Froshmen that weigh 80-90 lbs.? By not allowing them to wrestle 14U they will be giving up 10-20 lbs. in the High School Division.

Speaking of weights, what will the High School weights be? My suggestion: Keep 100 and 250. For the rest of the weights add 5 lbs to the High School weights plus the weight allowance after certification. This way High School kids will be able to wrestle basically the same weight they did in High School and have a True Grand State Champion.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Chief Renegade] #150519 09/23/09 03:55 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
Steve,

You stated that you would hope that a competitive wrestler, responsible parent and a competent coach would choose the HS division over going for another Kids title. So now we are back to the JV level HS wrestlers supposedly helping themselves by wrestling middle schoolers. There are plenty of seventh graders that have pre 9/1 birthdates and wrestle 14U. I can think of two sophomores in the past that also wrestled 14U. Kansas is in the extreme minority that still has High School wrestlers chasing Kids medals after their season rather than advancing their skills by FS/GR competition or off season HS Folkstyle. It's not a "fair" issue. It's a competitive advancement issue.

The wrestlers are still divided into two year age divisions. The label of JV wrestler or Middle school wrestler is irrelevant! The wrestlers still fall into the same two year age division regardless of what grade they happen to be in and enjoy no more of an advantage or disadvantage then any other age division Even if you do perceive an unfair advantage for the freshman surly you understand that in the following year the 8th grad would enjoy the same advantage. And again if you think its not right, how can you accept that 14year olds would be wrestling 18year olds in the High school division? Don’t misunderstand me I like the Idea of a High school division but logically speaking you are on both sides of the fence on this issue. How does a division of wrestlers by two year increments hinder competitive advancement? I think you may be bestowing some power or influence into this issue that just doesn’t exist. You mention the High school kids should be improving their skills with off season folk style practice. Isn’t that exactly what they are doing by participating in the USA Wrestling folkstyle series?? There is plenty of time for the freestyle season and I would like to see evidence that participation in the folkstyle series negatively effects the advancement or participation level of our freestyle wrestlers!By adding the High school division we will actually be increasing the number of “High school wrestlers chasing kids medals” So does this mean you think it’s a positive or a negative change?

Last edited by Steve Earle; 09/23/09 05:47 PM.

Steve Earle
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Ben Dover] #150520 09/23/09 04:43 PM
Beeson Offline
Some High School seniors could be 19, so you could have an 8th grader wrestling a 19 year old. Give the option to wrestle 14U or High School if your in the age group, that makes the most sense. As stated before, these kids have been wrestling each other, every other year since they were 6. Why should it change at 14?

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Beeson] #150522 09/23/09 05:10 PM
Cokeley Offline
Lets not get into a debate about the fairness of 8th vs 9th or 9th vs seniors or anything else for that matter. Lets all join hands and raise our voting cards when asked to pass this CHANGE. The CHANGE has to be ratified “AS IS” for the coming season or it will get sent back to the board for discussion, study and revision that may lead to its death! One thing that cannot be argued is that it gives a greater number of wrestlers the opportunity to compete in the state tournament series. A good measure of the success will be the numbers in the HS division at subs versus the 16U numbers from 2009. Another good measure will be the number of USA Cards sold to those above 16U. I am willing to be big money that you will see a significant increase in both of these numbers.

To me this opens up the door for even more opportunities in the future. USA Wrestling has a Cadet and Junior division at Folkstyle Nationals. We should create these divisions in our state tournament. Lets support the most significant, positive change in years to our state tournament series and see how it works before we pass judgment based on negative speculation. Try it this year and we will get some data to work with.

I voted yes!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Cokeley] #150523 09/23/09 05:33 PM
Beeson Offline
Will, I do not believe that this has to be passed as is. Last year we made some changes to the how the coaches would receive passes for the state tournament. As I recall several different ideas were presented before the vote was taken on the ammended change.

Richard would you please clarify for me?

I personally would not vote for it "As Is". It will not take effect until next year if it does pass. I'm just saying 14U should be 14U, they should not have to be forced to the High School division. They should have the option....sound familiar? whistle

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Beeson] #150527 09/23/09 05:53 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
It sounds as if it will take effect for THIS upcoming season. Correct me if I am wrong.

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Cokeley] #150528 09/23/09 05:56 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Steve,

1. The label of High School and Middle School divisions are certainly not irrelevant. That is precisely why they compete against only themselves the entire season.

2. I do perceive that the high schoolers have a distinct advantage. However that's not the main reason for my position.

3. Undeniably, states that have recognized this reality have moved into the passing lane with their level of freestyle/greco competitiveness. Some of our high schoolers are spending an entire month chasing a kids division medal instead of competing in either a grand state scenario or jumping in on FS/GR.

4. Ask yourself these questions. Why have the top wrestling states in the nation changed from our current format to theirs? Has it contributed to their success? They place higher than us at national events and provide more DI opportunities for their wrestlers. Could it also help us?

We will never know until we try.

Eric Johnson

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Chief Renegade] #150529 09/23/09 05:58 PM
Beeson Offline
Chief, then why have a 15 year old middle school kid wrestle High School? And, Do we really want a 12U division, an 8th grade division, and then a High School Division? The 8th (14U) division would be a one year only division.

Last edited by Beeson; 09/23/09 06:07 PM.

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Beeson] #150531 09/23/09 06:00 PM
Cokeley Offline
Missouri DOES NOT allow HS wrestlers to compete in their Kids State tournament regardless of their age. We are in the process of evaluating all of the kids state tournaments to get more data. We could eliminate this problem if we would move Kids state during high and create a middle school state. Even so at some point age and grade are going to collide and cause a splitting issue.

I will argue until the cows come home that HS wrestlers have a clear advantage over 8th graders. Five day a week practices, full time professional coach, competing against much older competition all year, etc. Of course there are always exceptions like Levi Eck, Ryne, and other successful 8th graders. I would vote to allow them the freedom to move up. I clearly think the some kids who have just gotten introduced to wrestling in MS or JH might take on the Kids Series if they didn't have to wrestle high school wrestlers. If nothing else it will give them an opportunity to qualify for state as the spots will be open.

The solution would be to have Cadets and Juniors so you would basically have 8th, 9th, and 10th in one class and 11th and 12th in the other. We will then have to align with the date of birth being January 1 instead of Sept 1. Of course this will be unpopular for one year as those who are negatively impacted will not like that either.

Chad,
I do agree with your statement about being able to amend it but at this past weekend's meeting I was told we COULD NOT amend it. I think we might have set precedence last year and I hope you are right. If a little tweaking can make it work then lets do it. One thing we CANNOT do is add more wrestlers to the state tournament which this plan does not do.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Cokeley] #150534 09/23/09 06:15 PM
Beeson Offline
Leaving 14u the same and adding the High School division will not add wrestlers to the State Tournament either. With the weights I proposed it would actually eliminate some. Why would the birthdate have to go to Jan. 1st? Just out of curiosity.

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Cokeley] #150535 09/23/09 06:19 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
There are lots of other freshmen that could still wrestle 14u that should wrestle high school, and I know most of them probably will, under this new scenario. Haralson, Johnson, Bradley, just to name a few. I get uncomfortable when someone points out one of my kids when there are lots of others deserving of the same mention, not that you were trying to slight anyone......you know what I'm saying.

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: doug747] #150536 09/23/09 06:22 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Here is the million dollar question: as a club representative, are you going to risk the lashes from parents on your club, if you vote FOR this change? I feel like, though it isn't perfect, it is what is best for most of the kids. A LOT of people will NOT see it that way. Kind of like Pelosi and crew pushing thru their health care bill, when the majority of Americans are opposed to it. Their excuse is that it is for the "common good". I happen to feel like this would be for the common good of KS wrestling, and Pelosi is crazy enough to think the health care plan is for the common good, even though I think it is all about gaining control over more of our lives. There will be lots of people saying the same thing about those of us that vote for this change. I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that it will help KS wrestling in the long haul. The numbers will tell the story. There are lots of kids' state champs that didn't do well in high school, and it may well be because they weren't pushed like this change will do. They worry about kids' state titles instead of high school state titles. Obviously, both means something, but one means more than the other. Just like winning high school state doesn't mean as much as winning NCAA. etc etc.

Last edited by doug747; 09/23/09 06:27 PM.
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Beeson] #150538 09/23/09 06:29 PM
Cokeley Offline
Cadets and Juniors, By USA definition use the Jan 1 birthdate. In fact, the majority of state and USA events use teh Jan 1 birthdate. There is NO WAY we want to create the confusion of having the age groups with the same name but a different date range. We already have enough issues with our Sept 1 as of date when going to other tournaments.

I agree with your assessment on the number of participants.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Cokeley] #150539 09/23/09 06:32 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I would also support, and get a lot of parents mad, changing to the USA weights. We would see more good matches if we narrowed down the number of weight classes. Why did I bring this up? Fire away.............

Last edited by doug747; 09/23/09 06:32 PM.
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: doug747] #150542 09/23/09 07:30 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I have contacted 25 different State directors about their rules for Kids state.

So far:

Missouri
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Georgia

All four of these states do NOT allow High School wrestlers in their Kids state brackets.

Eric Johnson

Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: Chief Renegade] #150544 09/23/09 07:49 PM
in it to win it Offline
And how many allow kids from their border states to enter their own State Tournament?

Just wondering.

In it to win it.
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: in it to win it] #150545 09/23/09 08:07 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: in it to win it
And how many allow kids from their border states to enter their own State Tournament?

Just wondering.

Another topic for another day.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Executive Board meeting! [Re: in it to win it] #150546 09/23/09 08:20 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Don't know that or the price of their nachos at the tournament. smile

Eric Johnson

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 283 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)