Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: GregMann
"Place the top 4, all other places do not matter." Beeson

Not following your thought process here. What is wrong with wrestling as many matches as is possible/practical? This tournament "cost" the same number of participation points whether a kid wrestled two, three or six times during the two days of competition.

Greg, My thought process, back in "the good ole days" it meant something to place at some of these tournaments. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around placing 8. Is everyone looking for QUALITY matches, or watered down QUANTITY matches? What were the medals? 1st Gold, 2nd, Silver, 3rd Bronze, 4th Copper, 5th Lead, 6th Wood, 7th Ribbon, and 8th Paper. Kind of like reverse Anniversaries. grin

As a coach and a coaches kid who used to and still does enjoy the seeding meeting process when ran well. I think that in a 32 man bracket, seeding 8 was simple and logical, just as well as 8. Team races, back door/consolation bracket matches, bonus points, and how well the teams near you in team points just add to the fun of the whole sport.

For instance, when a Kansas Team places in the U.S. Top 10 it is a very proud moment. But they can't just get the team points by having a handful of wrestlers in the finals, they need people winning as many matches as they can at other weight classes, getting 3rd, 4th... all the way to 8th. And Newton TOC's 8th placers will be state placers in their respective classes.