Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Biggest Week End in HS Sports #164043 03/07/10 10:37 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
This past weekend--4, 5, 6 March--is probably the biggest week end in high school sports across the country. HS basket ball sectionals, regionals, districts, sub-districts, what ever they may be called in any state. I would think more games, players, teams, students, cheerleaders, fans, pep bands, parents and grandarents, filled gyms than any other weekend. I know some out their have voiced their negative opinions about BB, but accept it, a great sport and a great weekend.

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/07/10 10:38 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: WillyM] #164045 03/07/10 10:42 PM
S
shudog Offline
S
And?
So?

Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: shudog] #164047 03/07/10 10:52 PM
Bender Offline
Umm this is a high school wrestling forum... this belongs in the "other" section of the forum

Bite my shiny metal @$$
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: WillyM] #164048 03/07/10 10:52 PM
M
master blaster Offline
M
No chance, rather watch figure skating (women's), pregnant curling teams or old folks playing checkers.

Who run Bartertown!
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: Bender] #164053 03/07/10 11:01 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I agree! You can always take this topic over to the ******ball board. How embarrassing to have the PA guy at Hartman Arena giving KU updates yesterday! Get a clue people!

Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: sportsfan02] #164068 03/07/10 11:47 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
oh contrere mon frere, the opening week of football is bigger guaranteed. there is no way b-ball brings in more. silly pumpkin pounder, gyms are fuller for the opening football pep rally than they are for basketball. i don't mind if basketball has more fans, than wrestling, wrestling is tougher. tougher for the athletes, coaches, fans, parents, all across the board, tougher sport, fewer fans. i promise the fans are more loyal. ever had a bad basketball team, everyone leaves shortly after halftime. at a dual fans stay until the big boys are done!!!

Last edited by HEADUP; 03/07/10 11:51 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: HEADUP] #164069 03/07/10 11:59 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Bunch of real hardasses out there.

If you don't have a kid in another sport than wrestling, a niec or nephew, or a kid down the street, and you don't go watch and enjoy some or all of those other sports, you are denying yourself a real pleasure. Athletes are athletes, what ever sport they play!!

I just watched 2 night of a 4A BB substate at Basehor Linwood. At least three, if not four times as many fans as during the Bobcat Classic. Full up student cheering sections with bands. Lot and lots moms and dads, lots of grandparents, lots of older folks from all communities, and lots of BB fans not associated with any of the schools. I truly do like HS wrestling. But what you get in attendance at a wrestling tournament is a few close friend of a few wreastlers, plus maybe mom and dad. Most of the seats are taken by wrestlers laying on the seats and their equip bags and food coolers cluttering the aisles. Hs wrestling is mostly a family affair and not a community affair.

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/08/10 12:01 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: HEADUP] #164070 03/08/10 12:05 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Not hardly. One of the biigest gripes on this forum is that fans leave as son as junior has finished. Plus, the gripe that the gyms are deserted when the HVY Wt get on the mats.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: WillyM] #164072 03/08/10 12:36 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Oh we might do all those things you describe. What we DON'T do, is come on a wrestling board and talk about it!

Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: WillyM] #164073 03/08/10 12:38 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
The problem is, most people just don't get it. I played that other sport in JR High (in addition to wrestling, football, track, baseball, any other recreation sport I could fit in), and I am also an avid KU (other sport) fan. The collegiate television exposure that the other sport gets is what drives the fans to high school (other sport) games. If the general population understood what wrestling is, what wrestlers have to endure, what it means to compete without the help of teammates (except for cheering you on), they would have a lot more appreciation for what these gladiators are all about and why they are so special. I wish that wrestling had more exposure on television - collegiate, high school or Kids Federation. I would be glued to the tube.

Lee Girard
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: WillyM] #164097 03/08/10 02:31 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Contrarian
I just watched 2 night of a 4A BB substate at Basehor Linwood. At least three, if not four times as many fans as during the Bobcat Classic. Full up student cheering sections with bands. Lot and lots moms and dads, lots of grandparents, lots of older folks from all communities, and lots of BB fans not associated with any of the schools. I truly do like HS wrestling. But what you get in attendance at a wrestling tournament is a few close friend of a few wreastlers, plus maybe mom and dad. Most of the seats are taken by wrestlers laying on the seats and their equip bags and food coolers cluttering the aisles. Hs wrestling is mostly a family affair and not a community affair.

I gave you a free pass when you did not know the difference between Freestyle, Greco, and Folkstyle. I figured that you just needed to be educated. You are NO FAN of HS Wrestling. You are a pumpkin pounder through and through. A spy to tarnish the good sport of wrestling. We as a WRESTLING COMMUNITY took you in. Tried to educate you. Tried to expose you to this great sport. You in turn disrespected us by belittling our sport and our kids, on a wrestling website of all places. I am proud to be part of a WRESTLING FAMILY that you will never be a part of or understand.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/08/10 02:37 AM.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: Beeson] #164102 03/08/10 02:52 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Contrain wrote this:

"wrestling is mostly a family affair and not a community affair."

Depends on the community. Go to Norton or Ark City or Lansing, or Goddard or Oak Park, MO, or Oak Grove, MO, or a million other NEB, Iowa, etc towns. . . and tell me that wrestling is not a 'community affair'.

As if that is the standard of the quality of excellence of this great sport . . .

My home town didn't care much about wrestling. That belittles my home town, and not wrestling.

To each his own. Diversity is good and needed. But, no need to run down things that others love. Unless, you are a hater. If you are a hater, sad deal for YOU.

Dean Welsh

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: Beeson] #164103 03/08/10 02:54 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Beeson,

I love your passion for wrestling, and I share it with you. I know that you will be a spokesman for this sport as long as you live, and I am very thankful for that.

Lee Girard
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: ReDPloyd] #164104 03/08/10 03:03 AM
C
Chewbac Offline
C
its probably not about the topic but oh well...the only thing i like about basketball courts is when the wrestling mats are on the court

Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: ReDPloyd] #164105 03/08/10 03:03 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Amen Red, and Beeson also has the best signature on the forum!

Not that I am a rough dude. I am not. ;-) But I understand the need for it to excel at this sport.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: Beeson] #164108 03/08/10 03:06 AM
bubbasmom77 Offline
I agree with Beeson 100 percent. You come on here and try to pawn yourself off as someone who is interested and just needs a little education on the sport and then try to promote every sport but wrestling. The wrestling community is a bigger kinder family than any other sport in the world. This is a family that developes lifelong bonds and friendships that noone can understand unless you have done it. As for the fan base I just explained that as well, people don't understand the passion and committment that these boys put into it for just a short amount of time on the mat,and when you have never done it then you make fun or ignore it. It is one of the original sports ever thought of and for you to speak negatively about it is just sickening.
Mike

Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: bubbasmom77] #164129 03/08/10 12:02 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
at tourneys people leave early, not duals, i have never seen and emptied out gym at a dual. it may not be full, but they are there until the end. i like all sports even girls softball, but don't respect someone who tries to come on a wrestling thread and shove b-ball down our throats. let me ask you this.......... HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A SIMILAR POST ON A B-BALL THREAD BY A "CASUAL" B-BALL/ WRESTLING FAN.

IT IS STILL NO WHERE NEAR THE ATTENDANCE AS ANY FOOTBALL WEEKEND!!! NO WAY!!!

Last edited by HEADUP; 03/08/10 12:03 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: HEADUP] #164152 03/08/10 01:56 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought wrestling was over!!! All I have read on this forum for the last 2 weeks was som kind of inainity about a Big Pin and a seniors' tussle between L Baker and who? (beeson), plus lots of inaine side comments by numerous others.

Have ben to pep rallys. Never seen a full gym--regardless of the size of the gym. All students. No or few parents. Same for grandparents and community fans.

Yeah, football is big. Usually a good homr town crowd. Visiting crowds usually a lot less. Mom and dads, some student, even a few older fans. Every place is not a Smith Center.

Did not intend to shove anything down anybodies throat, nor did I make fun of the sport, the wrestlers, or the fans.

Have been to lots of week night wrestling matches and weekend tournaments. Stand by my statement that wrestling is a family and not a community affair. Does not draw much from the community. May draw better at smaller schools and towns--more community identification. My comments do not diminish the sport or give it a bad characteristic.

Two local high schools plus my wife's school. (Leavenworth Challanger is a very good wrestling tournament. Wish Lansing would apply and Leavenworth would let them in. Will never happen--no sports between the two schools. Quote from the previous Leavenworth AD: "will never play Lansing in any sport, too much to lose and nothing to gain"). I watch and enjoy teams from all three schools: VB, FB and boys soccer in the fall. G's and B's BB and wrestling in the winter, G's SB and soccer and boys' baseball in the spring--even do a couple of track meets. Can't say I have ever gone to watch HS tennis and golf.

At least I am out. My impression is that most on here, especially after the last weekend in February, sit by their computer and mostly argue about what was or happened in the past. Get a life, go watch some HS sports--will be good for your constitution.

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/08/10 02:10 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: WillyM] #164154 03/08/10 02:23 PM
Q
Quagmire Offline
Q
Why do you care what people do with their own time? If some people would rather check out the forums instead of watching some bball then that's their preference. Not everyone has to be like you.

Re: Biggest Week End in HS Sports [Re: Quagmire] #164157 03/08/10 02:34 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
I also love fishing. About all i can do any more. Enjoy catching anything. Throw everything back. Some times I do not even bait the hook--just sit back and enjoy being on the water.

Its a great moment when you feel the tug and jerk. This post was almost like fishing. Sure got a lot of bites and jerks!!!!

Can probably reel them in for the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/08/10 04:24 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 148 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)