Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: Husker Fan] #166193 03/23/10 02:06 PM
M
mfe Offline
M
Contrarion: I think you will find that the reduced and free breakfast and lunch program is funded by the USDA (agriculture dept) and cost USDA more money than ALL farm subsidies combined.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: Husker Fan] #166206 03/23/10 02:48 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Husker Fan
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
If I had to guess, I would say the additional classifications won't fly. Nor do I think you will see private schools put into a classification by themselves. What I do think will happen is there will be a multiplier enacted for private schools as is used in various other states.

That multiplier may be enacted but I am not sure how much it is going to change things. I still think Aquinas is going to have dominant boys and girls soccer teams, Miege girls will still do very well in volleyball and basketball as long as Gwen Pike and Terry English are coaching. Bishop Ward will still have a successful baseball team as long as Coach Hurla is there.
The private schools may win less state titles but my guess is that they will still win their disapportionate share. Aquinas won in wrestling in 6A and 5A in 2005 and 2007. Hutchinson has won football titles in both 5A and 6A. It is hard to beat good coaching and dedicated athletes.

They might still be successful, but they might have to do it at a higher classification depending on their enrollment numbers. Using the two largest classifications as examples is probably not appropriate since they have the fewest private schools in them. It is the classifications from 4A on down that are most effected by private schools.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: Husker Fan] #166288 03/23/10 09:53 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Husker Fan
Yes it is a public school but my point in mentioning it in my last post is to point out that good teams with good coaches and dedicated athletes at either private or public schools are going to probably be successful no matter what class they compete in. Hutchinson's current football team with its great coach and athletes is a prime example of that as was the Aquinas wrestling teams of 2005 thru 2007. Both of these teams have won state titles both in 5A and 6A. Hutchinson's football team has done it multiple times in both classes.

Understood and agreed. Was just checking for my own clarification. I was pretty darn sure Hutch was a public school but sometimes the context of others writing and the way my brain works - sometimes, I need to double check.

Thanks.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: sportsfan02] #166289 03/23/10 09:55 PM
Cokeley Offline
So, how will that work?? You take the top 32 schools and put them in 6A. Uh oh, one is STA??? Do we kick them out?

Ok lets say there were none in 6A. The next 32 go to 5A. Uh oh, BC, STA, KMC etc are in 5A so they get moved up to 6A. I assume this will move the same number of schools out of 6A into 5A. Then we go to the next 64 in 4A (by today’s classification) and then you move those schools up so some 5A get moved to 4A. And so on… Then you have an even bigger disparity in student populations in 4A. Great idea.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: sportsfan02] #166290 03/23/10 10:10 PM
WillyM Offline
Free and reduced meals are still managed and served on a day to day basis by the schools and in the school. So it does not take district money, it does take time and effort to get the kids enrolled, to prep and serve the meals, etc. Perhaps time and effort that could be best used for academics.

But, these are very likely the only meals many of these kids may get each day. My wife is an educator and I know she and a whole lot of teachers have a lot of desk drawers filled with snacks and treats they give out to the kids. They also spend a lot of time, effort and their own money collecting and cleaning coats, hats, gloves , shoes, shirts, etc to students in need.

I guess a related question is How many kids on free or reduced price meals at our affluent suburban parochial schools. Bet not many! Be nice to attend or work in a school where the biggest problem is probably dad wouldn't let Johnny or Bambi drive the Beemer to school today.

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/23/10 10:12 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: Husker Fan] #166291 03/23/10 10:43 PM
WillyM Offline
Ok. Good coaches and good programs win trophies. No arguement. Stll doe not account for the disparity in the state qualifers or champions in all sports from the parochial schools.

Only two ways too really resolve this issue. 1) Have a coach exchange between some parochial and public schools and measure the results or differences. 2) Have a toal student athlete exchange between schools----parochial scool kids to play for public school coaches at the public school--and vice versa. After this is all done, what was accomplished. Nothing!

You are trying to rationalize if you do not accept that the parochial school teams are loaded and you are ignoring a problem with the level of athletic achievement in those schools.

How would Aquinas or Miege do in boys and girls soccer if they were reclassified to 6A. Probably still pretty good. But, those KC area 5A schools-with soccer-are not near the same as the 6A schools Aquinas or Miege would have to play in the 6A Soccer Regionals to get to State. Bonner Springs, G/E, Harmon, Schlagle, Turner, Washington, Wyandotte, Lansing, Pittsburg, and Mill Valley are no way close to the Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, or Olathe 6A schools in soccer. Same situation for the Wichita area 5A parochial schools if they had to qualify in the Wichita Regionals. Same can be said for several other sports.

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/23/10 10:46 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: WillyM] #166294 03/23/10 11:17 PM
M
mfe Offline
M
contarion: You see to have some hatred in your heart for any of the schools that are high achievers and that they are able to get good teachers to work for less pay because they are working with children of parents (PLURAL) WHO HELP THERE KIDS AT NIGHT, discipline them and don't worry about getting a lawsuit filed against them for not allowing them to come to school looking like a pimp or prostitute. My public school mandated uniforms. I drive by a Jr. High and grade school every AM and PM and it's a disgrace for these kids to dress like 15% dress. Don't you think that's a distraction for the rest? All the excuses you offer for sub-par achedemics and sports only enable the child to stay in that envirorment. You need to realize that money does not equal a good education. If it did, I'd be a bum now as one of 9 children. It doesn't take money to help a child study or compete in a sport, if you REALLY want to compete. Someone will step up. Sorry, to pick on you but I just get fed up with excuses for failure. Thanks, Matt

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: mfe] #166299 03/24/10 12:37 AM
WillyM Offline
MFE. Do you have your white hood and sheet on. The only thing you apparantely know about inner city schools is what you see as you drive by on th way to your lily white world. Plus, you can see a lot of the same at our suburburan public schools. And, I have seen many of your boys and girls at various activities and it seems that away from school they dress and act just like the city kids---and they play their RAP music just as loud. Must be nice to live in isolation.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: WillyM] #166317 03/24/10 03:28 AM
RedStorm Offline
I am guessing there are a few beemers in the Blue Valley West parking lot. I have not seen one in TMPs. We have rich kids and poor kids but it is hard to tell them apart because they are all in uniform. We have a sped program, I mean Catholic kids have larning disabilities too but that teacher is paid by the coop, same one that pays the sped teachers at Hays High, LaCross & Ellis. We also have free & reduced, my own children would qualify if I signed them up. If you look back about eight years ago, TMP girls were 0-20, then Alan Billinger came in and they got better, same with softball.

I am guessing there is not much beef here with the Mighty Monarchs but your angst against Miege and STA affects us pretty good.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: RedStorm] #166322 03/24/10 03:57 AM
Beeson Offline
First of all, Why argue with Contrarian? He is just trying to get everyones goat. Fishing are we? He doesn't really care one way or the other. He is just a grumpy, long winded, old man that likes to stir the pot. Ignore him and he will go away.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: RedStorm] #166333 03/24/10 12:02 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: RedStorm
I am guessing there are a few beemers in the Blue Valley West parking lot. I have not seen one in TMPs.

Pickup trucks with hay haulers, same same!

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: sportsfan02] #166345 03/24/10 12:08 PM
M
mfe Offline
M
Your right Beeson. Why argue with someone with so much hate in his heart for some of us who got off their butt and made their school better. The kids deserve better than some cry baby blaming race and money for their own failures and by that, giving the kids a reason for failure. I, my kids and grandchildren all went to public schools all 12 years. I loved it and loved the standards that private schools set for us in many ways. For a while they kicked our butt but we changed and now it's the other way. You can tell who the people on this site are that are a "positive" influence on the kids they are around. You also can tell who the "whiners" are who want to bring others down to their level so they can now compete. I'm through posting on this subject! It's a waste of time trying to reason with a negative person. Have a good day! Thanks, Matt Contrarion: If you knew me, You would be embarassed for your stupid racist remark!

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: mfe] #166356 03/24/10 02:38 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Illinois Population 12,400,000 with 4 classifications in basketball and 3 in wrestling

Kansas Population 2,800,000 with 4 classifications

Minnesota population 4,900,000 with 3 classifications

Missouri population 5,600,000 with 3 classifications

Wisconsin population 5,600,000 with 3 classifications in wrestling and 4 classifications in basketball

I will check the number of high schools in each state.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: smokeycabin] #166430 03/24/10 10:58 PM
WillyM Offline
Mfe.

Contrarian--Bill Mason here.

If I you knew you, WHY would I be embarassed for my stupid stupid racist remark!

Not aware I made any racist remarks. It was your words about the kids, I assume black kids, looking and acting like pimps and prostitutes.

I am going to make a wild assumption that you are a token black at a big suburban parochial school. Why else wou you attack some kids----or, you really do have a white hood and sheet!

I did not bring money or special education into the issue. I think it was actuallly Cokely who is always spouting about money, public school inefficiency, etc., and it was he who for some reason also brought SPED to the table (something like SPED could not be much of a distraction in public schools). Yes, learning disabilities are SPED, and you may have some LD kids in your schools. How many severe CP kids in crutches or wheel chairs do your schools have? How many BD kids? How many kids on reduced /free meals. I have yet to see ananswers on these questions from a 5A or 4A KV area suburban private school. If SPED is not a problem go talk to the Kansas budgeteers and the SM, Olathe and BV school districts.

This forum stated out as a discussion abour the possibility of KSHSAA changing the current school classification system. Some how it has very lately degenerated into name calling and accusations, and very little related to the KSHSAA. At least Husker Fan and Cokely ( in some cases), and a few others, use some facts or cogent points to try to present the parochial school side of the issue--the same as I and several others try to present the issues of percieved or actual points/facts concerning the disparity in private versus public school athletics (percieved to be because of the recruitment--promotion as Cokely calls it- by private school and by the fact there are no restrictions on the area that private schools can draw or recruit students. I suffer no angst towards Aquinas or Meige--they are just near bye to where I live and I am more aware of their athletic successes.

At lastly, I included my name.

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/24/10 11:16 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: WillyM] #166451 03/25/10 01:16 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
The Public and Private School Study Committee
Report to the KSHSAA
September 26, 2007

There were 18 committee members 14 from public schools and
4 from private schools on the committee. I will get a full copy of the report as soon as possible.

Meeting dates were:
March 27, 2006
May 1, 2006
February 14, 2007
June 21, 2007
September 13, 2007

Conclusion of the report:

The Public-Private Committee Study Committee recognizes and agrees that inequities exist between member schools; however, not all inequities fall between public and private lines. The numerous factors referenced in this report help distinguish one school from another and provide differing opportunites for school communities to achieve and grow. The Committee challenges each school to dedicate its efforts in working to achieve goals and principles of a healthy interscholastic program.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: WillyM] #166464 03/25/10 02:39 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: ReDPloyd
Originally Posted By: justwrestle
I'm still trying to get past the spelling and grammar in the original post! Come on.... I know A LOT of you were thinking the same thing!

If you continue to be a member of this discussion forum, you are going to have to understand one thing: not all wrestlers, wrestling fans, wrestling coaches, wrestling parents, or wrestling officials are Ernest Hemingway. Many of them are not even close, but that is alright. Every one of them is passionate about the toughest sport that an adolescent or young adult can compete in. I do not grade them on their writing skills, I grade them on their loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity and personal courage. These are the seven core army values, and as long as they emulate these values, I am appreciative of their service in the sport of wrestling. Some of us stray at times, I know that I have, but in the end, there are few communities of practice that emulate these values in a manner that the soldiers of our military could be more proud of.

I wrote this on the youth forum tonight. Just something to think about. For most of us with military ties today, times have changed. We rely on each other to get through the fight. It doesn't matter who you are or where you are from, whether your parents were affluent or whether they lived in a mobile home (mobile mansion as I like to refer to it). I am sure that there was a time that "no one gets left behind" didn't always stick. It does now, and the ones that don't believe in it, need to find another occupation.

Lee Girard
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: ReDPloyd] #166548 03/25/10 04:23 PM
Cokeley Offline
If a private school is in 6A by the original count what happens? If the new rule is put in place they would bump up to UNCLASSIFIED??!! Seriously, the Frontier League hasn't addressed that one yet! Maybe they just roll back down and join 1A.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: Cokeley] #166553 03/25/10 04:48 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
At this time there are no 6A private schools in Kansas and if there were they would stay in 6A; it is the "unlimited class" of high schools!

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: GregMann] #166563 03/25/10 05:53 PM
Cokeley Offline
Their proposal doesn't address that issue. STA has recently been in 6A. I am still laughing at the reshuffling that will occur. Preposterous!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: Cokeley] #166583 03/25/10 08:59 PM
WillyM Offline
I think a few years back-at least 10 or more- Aquinas was in 6A for a short time--they were there due to their enrollment numbers. Since that time several new schools have been built across Kansas that came in or grew up to 6A: Olathe East, SM NW, Olathe South???, a couple of Blue Valley HSs, others???, forcing Aquinas down to 5A. I think Olathe North was a 6A, forced down to 5A, and grew back into a 6A.

Bill Mason Lansing
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 233 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)