Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: doug747] #168519 04/14/10 12:25 AM
WillyM Offline
I believe taxes should always be as low as they can be--along as they provide the essentials we need. In this country we do not have the choices to say exactly how our taxes are spent. I would probably cut somethings you think are essential, and you would cut somethings I think are essential. So, we are not arguing about taxes, we are arguing about essentials. Tell me the things you want to support and what you want to cut, I will give you my lists. Taxes are an agreement between lots of people, groups, etc., for lots of different things, programs, etc. No one gets it only their way.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: Kirk Berggren] #168521 04/14/10 12:36 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
"a rhetorical question, why would they spend all that money just for the same education they can get at a public school? It's not just the extra religion class. Every church offers Sunday school and religious training for all children for far less than the cost of attending the catholic grade and high schools. I believe there is an intangible "more" they seek."

Let me answer your question...I have put 3 boys through Catholic grade school, 2 through Aquinas and my youngest will be a freshman there next year. You obviously have no idea what happens at Catholic schools...the kids are immersed in the Faith. Prayer every morning, Mass at least once a week. Other Sacraments offered on a regular basis. 4 years of theology is required (sorry can't get that in CCD class). Our kids are free to celebrate CHRISTMAS and EASTER (not winter break). Mission trips, service hours (required) and opportunities to live the Faith are offered. This on top of very challenging academic standards (which are recognized by colleges).

My middle son was fortunate to be at Aquinas at a time when two State championships were won in wrestling. We can only be so lucky if that happens at least once when my youngest is there...but wrestling or sports in general is not the reason we are there...we are there because of the above mentioned opportunities in Faith and academics.

Every family has choices (for now) ... and our choice was to educate our kids in Catholic schools. This has come at a great sacrifice, we live in the same small house, drive cars until they basically die (last van had about 180,000 miles before we got something new), don't go on vacation except for sports and trust me when that monthly payment to Aquinas starts up again in June we will feel it.

From my perspective it is worth every penny.

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: doug747] #168522 04/14/10 12:43 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Originally Posted By: doug747
Are KC school districts the same?

Doug,

In Olathe public schools you are allowed to choose which high school you attend, I'm not sure of the rules if you want to transfer to a different high school after you started.

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: doug747] #168523 04/14/10 01:21 AM
K
KC Sportsmom Offline
K
BY JOANNA CHADWICK
The Wichita Eagle
A survey of Kansas high school administrators by the state's governing body for high school sports found that many think private schools have an unfair advantage over public schools.

Note to Contrarian: I did get my facts straight! I said "KS governing body."

Contrarian, as I have stated previously, the MULTIPLIER is a form of discrimination which is mainly focused on targeting private and parochial schools. It doesn't work because I know from personal experience. It kills the competitiveness of SMALL schools and HAS NO EFFECT on big ones. I have had two sons competing in wrestling in two different Catholic schools in both MO and KS within the last three years. Both are elite athletes and NEITHER were recruited by a high school. My eldest faced unrealistic and unfair competition, especially noticeable in soccer, due to the MO multiplier. Why is it so important to you to "level the playing field" by utilizing the multiplier? Lansing is in the KC Metro, you have choices. Bishop Ward is within driving distance. Oh that's right, they're only noted to be a powerhouse in baseball and your a wrestling Dad. Let's punish Bishop Ward, a very small, urban school that does a lot of great things in KCKS, in all the other sports just because you think its unfair. That makes sense. Need I go on and belabor this subject about the Thomas More Prep like schools that would suffer. To punish a SMALL number of private schools to, in your eyes, HELP the humongous number of public schools is a proven bad idea that is why so few other states do it.

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: doug747] #168525 04/14/10 01:27 AM
M
mfe Offline
M
Coachise: A good question! Why would parents pay all that money for the same education! The number one thing you need to have a great learning enviroment is discipline! The Wichita Catholic schools I drive by all wear the same uniforms. (usually white shirt or blouse and tan slacks or skirts). No pressure to outdress or compete. The public schools west of Wichita that my children and grandchildren went and go to voted to have uniforms. They are emulating success of the privates. They even have a uniform and book garage sale prior to school and also use the large purchasing power to buy at a lessor price for the ones that want new ones. Orders are taken at the garage sale for new items. Next, the teachers are not NEA union members so the private schools can quickly get rid of the "duds" (teachers). It is a pleasure to visit the private schools and see first hand the polite students and play them in sports. Kind remarks and gracious winners and losers is the standard practice for both teams, private or our public. I cherish the letters our public school, Andale, gets from teams we have both beaten or got beat by, about the great sportsmanship during the game and the teams getting together and intermingaling over a meal afterwords. Topeka Hayden comes to mind first. They are a class act! It would be sad if we couldn't play them again due to reclassification. Thanks, Matt

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: wrestlingmom] #168528 04/14/10 02:44 AM
K
Kirk Berggren Offline
K
Originally Posted By: wrestlingmom
"a rhetorical question, why would they spend all that money just for the same education they can get at a public school? It's not just the extra religion class. Every church offers Sunday school and religious training for all children for far less than the cost of attending the catholic grade and high schools. I believe there is an intangible "more" they seek."

Let me answer your question...I have put 3 boys through Catholic grade school, 2 through Aquinas and my youngest will be a freshman there next year. You obviously have no idea what happens at Catholic schools...the kids are immersed in the Faith. Prayer every morning, Mass at least once a week. Other Sacraments offered on a regular basis. 4 years of theology is required (sorry can't get that in CCD class). Our kids are free to celebrate CHRISTMAS and EASTER (not winter break). Mission trips, service hours (required) and opportunities to live the Faith are offered. This on top of very challenging academic standards (which are recognized by colleges).

My middle son was fortunate to be at Aquinas at a time when two State championships were won in wrestling. We can only be so lucky if that happens at least once when my youngest is there...but wrestling or sports in general is not the reason we are there...we are there because of the above mentioned opportunities in Faith and academics.

Every family has choices (for now) ... and our choice was to educate our kids in Catholic schools. This has come at a great sacrifice, we live in the same small house, drive cars until they basically die (last van had about 180,000 miles before we got something new), don't go on vacation except for sports and trust me when that monthly payment to Aquinas starts up again in June we will feel it.

From my perspective it is worth every penny.

Mom,
I apologize. My question was asked with a bit of sarcasm directed at those who think the reason we send our children to Catholic schools is for the sports programs. If my kids didn't play sports at all, I would still spend the money to send them to the Catholic schools for the very reasons you state and more. Most of us sending our children to private school sacrifice cars, vacations, nicer homes, eating out and new clothes for this opportunity. I don't whine about the expense or expect anyone to care. It is the choice we make. Other people don't want to spend their money that way. That's up to them. But they shouldn't be complaining because I did. I've been through the parking lot on a school day at Olathe East. I have never owned as nice of cars as I see 16 year olds getting for their first car. And there aren't that many nice cars in the lot at STA or SJA. Again, I don't begrudge them. Everyone makes choices. We are not rich people trying to buy a state champion. We are simply trying to give our kids the things they really need in life , like an education centered in faith, so they can succeed in life.

And you are right. It is and was worth every penny.

Last edited by Coachise; 04/14/10 02:48 AM. Reason: typo

Kirk Berggren
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: Kirk Berggren] #168533 04/14/10 03:20 AM
Cokeley Offline
Contrarian,

Do you think SJA recruited Ryne?? Do you think we were attracted to their stellar wrestling program that had less than 10 kids out the year before Ryne enrolled? I produced some facts and I don't think the number of state championships won by private schools is out of line over the past 30 years. I put up so now you can shut up.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: Cokeley] #168537 04/14/10 09:30 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Do stand alone communities have an advantage with just 1 high school? I think it is great going into those communities and watching their support and traditions, and competing against
that pride and determination to be the best they can be.
You can see the hundreds of volunteers sporting the school colors with some neat quote.

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: Cokeley] #168538 04/14/10 09:47 AM
WillyM Offline
KC Sportsmom. What does KSHSAA, the governing body of Kasnas school sports, have to do with taxes--or with governing Kansas as a State. No connection. You are mixing apples and oranges. Again, go get smart on a subject before commenting on it. And Bishop ward, I have empathy for them. If there were to be exceptions--I surely agree they should qualify. In an inner city with a growing Hispanic population, Ward with a large Hispanic enrollment, serves a special need. With a multiplier I doubt Ward would be bumped a class--to small to start with. And yes I live in Lansing. What choices do I have that you are refering to. I am totally satisfied with where I live and with my public HS. And state championships at Lansing, maybe one in volleyball. Lansing wrestling--up and down--up the last couple of years-will be down for a few years when these kids graduate. Not all public schools are bad and need shutting down as many of you seem to advocate--in fact the vast majority of public are doing very well at what they are supposed to do. If you and Cokely had your way you would lump Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley schools in with the very hard core inner city schools. I am not jealous of private or parochial schools, but sometimes your elitist attitudes stick in the craw. And I am not just a wrestling dad. My older son played football and my youngest played soccer and wrestled. I have coached youth T ball, baseball, football, basketball, and soccer In soccer I sponsored (equipped and suited-free to several financially challanged players) managed and coached a successful competitive level team--a team that sent four players to William Jewel College in Liberty, and another four players to Kansas Community Colleges to play soccer.

Cokely. He want to cite sports history back to 1980---way before many of today's private schools existed (new comer KC area schools I know of: STA, SJA, KCC, Maranatha Academy)(do not know when out of area private schools were established--the only big private school with a sports history seems to be KMC). THe big parochial school in KC area prior to 1990 was Miege---and they have a sports history of extraordinay success. A couple of people have mentioned that both Miege and KMC were sanctioned by the KSHSAA in the 80s--what was that all about. By using sports history between 1980 and 1995--STA came in I think in about 1990 and started their sports run the best I can determine in 1992--Cokely can cite low private school state championships--a time when there were not very many private schools. Why not shorten the time period and include soccer and volleyball--sports dominated by private schools since they became KSHSAA sanctioned sports.

Did SJA recruit Ryne (Cokely). The thought never entered my mind. However, there has been a lot of speculation about Moeder. I accept Mr. Moeder's post without question. However, I have thought how did Miege got the two Releford all staters. Understand they were in public schools in KCMO. Two tuitions at Miege must be a bank account buster. Were they Catholic and offered financial assistance "based on need". If not Catholic and given financial assistance, how many deserving Catholic kids were denied financial assistance. Way too many dark spots.

Still looking for the spel chker.

Last edited by Contrarian; 04/14/10 02:07 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: WillyM] #168540 04/14/10 10:23 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Contrarian - What does KSHSAA, the governing body of Kasnas school sports, have to do with taxes--or with governing Kansas as a State.

None of my business - but KSHSAA is funded by members - many many members are public schools and their schools administrators, athletic directors, teachers, coaches, are board members. The board members make legislative recommendations on changing Kansas laws pertaining to school athletics and other activities. All of the activities cost money which are funded by Kansas residents as well as KSHSAA which is predominantly funded indirectly by Kansas residents.

Now comparing apples and oranges. The NCAA funded by public and private schools and big business. The KSHSAA is most likely funded by property taxes, sales taxes and income taxes - indirectly of course by member fees. You have to go way back to see the origninal intent of the NCAA - they have strayed a little
away from their original mission. Originally they were for all sports and student athletes - now they lean a lot more towards the revenue sports only.

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: smokeycabin] #168544 04/14/10 11:14 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
I was trying to find out budgeting information and came acrossed this article.

KSHSAA holds up in audit

Web Link to article:
http://cjonline.com/sports/2009-07-11/kshsaa_holds_up_in_audit
Audit findings often don’t support concerns prompting study

BY RICK DEAN
Created July 11, 2009 at 7:06pm
Updated July 12, 2009 at 12:47am
Let’s put this into a perspective most taxpayers might understand.
Imagine you are facing an IRS audit. You are an honest person, yet you haven’t done everything perfectly. You await the government auditor with the anticipation common to root canals.
Anxious months later, you get his report. He disallows a single deduction; you owe a tax bill of $50. You aren’t overjoyed. Yet somehow you feel like celebrating.
That is a sense of what the Kansas State High School Activities Association, the governing body of the state’s athletic and scholastic activities programs, felt after its first appearance before the Legislative Division of Post Audit — the performance watchdog of Kansas government.
Fourteen months after a legislative committee authorized an audit in April 2008, the KSHSAA learned in the summary of the auditors’ June 25 report that “although the majority of (Association) members appear to be satisfied with most aspects of rules and regulations, a significant number are unhappy with some aspects.”
The resulting sound of silence was broken only by a quiet sigh of relief from the KSHSAA headquarters in west Topeka. Was that it? Is that the worst you found?
Gary Musselman, a KSHSAA executive for 22 years and its executive director for the past 13, was hardly floored to learn that well-intentioned people are uphappy with some aspects of Association policy.
When, after all, was anyone ever completely happy with every policy implemented by a statewide body representing 779 junior and senior high schools from Leavenworth to Liberal, St. Francis to St. Paul, and which governs activities as diverse as football and forensics, baseball and band?
“When your responsibility is to govern, there will always be concerns about, ‘Are you being fair? How do you make rules?’ ” Musselman said. “And in a state as diverse as Kansas, it’s hard to get everyone feeling the same about anything.”
Moreover, the data state auditors interpreted as “significant” dissatisfaction with Association policy read like poetry to an administrator more accustomed to having angry coaches and parents question his motivation, his judgment. Occasionally, even his parentage.
State auditors, for example, found it significant that one out of five coaches surveyed said the Association was “unresponsive” to the concerns of Kansas high school athletes.
Musselman found it more significant that 67 percent of coaches — long the most outspoken of KSHSAA critics — called the Association “responsive” to those concerns.
“I find the report interesting in that when it says 60 percent are in support and 40 percent have concerns, the 40 percent are what we talk about,” he said.
“I guess I should have spoken to that because I’ve had school superintendents say they read the audit and that (the Association) did a super job, but they were concerned about the somewhat negative stance.”
The 40 percent figure that generated headlines was the percentage of surveyed coaches who, according to the auditors, believed Kansas high school athletes “didn’t have enough opportunities to develop their athletic skills.” It is an age-old lament from coaches who see Association rules limiting games and practice opportunities as hindering the development of their players.
But their concern was blunted some by the auditors survey that ranked Kansas No. 2 among the seven Big 12 states in per capita production of Big 12 athletes in football and men’s and women’s basketball, the three showcase sports surveyed.
Texas, needless to say, produces more Big 12 football and basketball players than the six other states combined. But when population is factored in, Kansas produces five athletes per 100,000 residents, trailing only Nebraska.
“It’s a case where reality is not always in sync with perception,” Musselman said.
“There’s a perception elsewhere that we’re a bunch of small, backwater schools. Well, Jordy Nelson (a Kansas State All-American from tiny Riley County now in the NFL) did all right. So did Jackie Stiles (who made it to the WNBA from Claflin). You can go up and down a list (of small-school Kansas success stories).”
Numbers don’t lie
The effect of Association rules on the development of Kansas athletes was one of three major concerns legislators — responding to personal or constituent complaints — told the auditors to consider.
Others involved what legislators called a “cumbersome” governing structure that made the Association unresponsive to the wants of member schools; and revenue-sharing policies that, in the words of the pre-audit scope statement, “cause schools to lose money when they host (Association-sanctioned) postseason events.”
Again, figures compiled by the auditors in a survey of some 3,100 coaches, administrators, superintendents and school board presidents failed to support those contentions.
The auditors’ survey found only one in four respondents from the Association’s governing boards thought the board was too large. Only one in three thought it didn’t adequately represent schools of all sizes. Some survey respondents also said small schools (classes 1 through 3A) were under-represented.
In breaking down the Association’s 78-member Board of Directors, auditors found one Board member for every eight small schools, compared to one for every four large schools (classes 4 through 6A). Yet in analyzing student representation, small schools had one board member for every 759 students compared to one for every 2,619 students in classes 4 through 6A.
Kansas’ big-vs.-small rift, as prominent in the Statehouse as it is in the KSHSAA, shifted in 1992 when the Association sought legislative permission to expand its then 60-member Board of Directors, which included one representative from each league regardless of school size.
Today, leagues with combined enrollments of more than 4,000 students have a second representative — who must be a woman or from a minority population — on the 78-member board. Leagues with combined enrollments of 8,000 can get a third representative.
The change has tipped the big-small balance, Musselman said, but it came about through a democratic process.
“Prior to 1992, the over-simplified, seat-of-the-pants criticism was that the small schools ran the organization,” he said. “Now those small schools might say a shift in power has finally happened, that we can’t control our destiny because we’ll be outvoted by this larger block.
“But in 21 years here I haven’t seen that many issues break down to large school vs. small school. The issue about summer coaching may have come as close to that as anything.”
Fiscal restraint
The legislative concern about schools losing money when hosting KSHSAA-sponsored postseason events also didn’t stand up to auditing scrutiny.
Auditors did note the KSHSAA tends to keep a higher percentage of postseason gate receipts — 70 percent, a revenue stream that provides almost 90 percent of the Asssociation’s nearly $4 million operating budget — than do the other six Big 12 states surveyed. Two of three administrators surveyed thought they should retain a higher percentage for postseason events they host.
But auditors also noted the Association — which pays for officials, trophies and liability insurance at all postseason events — makes up the difference when a host school’s expenses are greater than its 30 percent take.
The auditors also reported the Association spends a larger share of operating revenue on its staff than does any other comparison state. Moreover, the KSHSAA maintains a $5.5 million cash reserve, more than any other state surveyed.
Nearly 40 percent of the Association’s budget goes to staff compensation.
Musselman said staff salaries, determined by the Association’s Executive Board, reflect a low turnover rate and resulting high service time among his top administrators.
“Stability is an indication of people finding meaning in their work, and you tend to reward that,” he said. “They know what they’re doing, and you want to retain those folks.”
Solid fiscal management, Musselman added, helped the KSHSAA build its large cash reserves. The Association exercised the option to pay off the 15-year bonds on its new $3.2 million headquarters in only five years, thus saving some $900,000 in budgeted interest payments.
The Association now plans to return some of that cushion to its member schools in tight budgetary times.
In the 2009-10 school year, membership dues — $400 annually for high schools and $125 for junior highs — will be cut in half. The KSHSAA also will pay 16 percent of the annual catastrophic insurance premium paid for every Kansas student who participates in a sport.
The Association in the past two years also made $10,000 contributions to help restore the activity programs at tornado-ravished Greensburg and Chapman.
“In these financial times, we’ll look at what can we do to help our member schools,” Musselman said. “If we can find creative ways to help schools cover costs, we’re going to look into it.”
The legislative auditors offered no recommendations for KSHSAA improvements, other than to use the data it compiled as a guideline for future considerations of rule or policy revisions.
It was the kind of inconclusive conclusion Musselman had been hoping to hear.
“Nothing in (the report) makes me ashamed,” he said. “We work hard to do right by our schools, because if we don’t, they’ll let us know. After all, we work for them.”

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: WillyM] #168547 04/14/10 12:13 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Contrarian

Cokely. He want to cite sports history back to 1980---way before many of today's private schools existed (new comer KC area schools I know of: STA, SJA, KCC, Maranatha Academy)(do not know when out of area private schools were established--the only big private school with a sports history seems to be KMC). THe big parochial school in KC area prior to 1990 was Miege---and they have a sports history of extraordinay success. A couple of people have mentioned that both Miege and KMC were sanctioned by the KSHSAA in the 80s--what was that all about. By using sports history between 1980 and 1995--STA came in I think in about 1990 and started their sports run the best I can determine in 1992--Cokely can cite low private school state championships--a time when there were not very many private schools. Why not shorten the time period and include soccer and volleyball--sports dominated by private schools since they became KSHSAA sanctioned sports.

Did SJA recruit Ryne (Cokely). The thought never entered my mind. However, there has been a lot of speculation about Moeder. But, I accept Mr. Moeder's post without question. However, I have thought how Miege got the two Releford all staters. Understand they were in public schools in KCMO. Two tuitions at Miege must be a bank account buster. Were they Catholic and offered financial assistance "based on need". If not Catholic and given financial assistance, how many deserving Catholic kids were denied financial assistance. Way too many dark spots.

Still looking for the spel chker.

Mr. Contrarian Mason,

The MAJORITY of private schools that exist today were established before 1980. STA was St. Josephs, Ward, Miege, Schlagle, KMC, BC, etc were here. Get smart before you get on here and make uneducated comments. Isn't that what you said?

The Moeder's sold everything they owned and moved 400 miles from a dieing rural area to a thriving metropolis. SJA was hardly in a position to recruit. They had taken exactly one wrestler to state before Taylor enrolled. Those speculations are nothing short of completely stupid.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: Cokeley] #168552 04/14/10 12:45 PM
WillyM Offline
Cokely, get a life.

Schalge is not a private school, its a KCKS public school. St. Josephs may have preceded STA, but was it a high school. I see no sports history for St. Joseph. I can believe that Miege, just down the street in Mission was at capacity and the Catholic community wanted another HS, a HS out SW to support the growing Johnson County population--thus STA on or around 1990. Having lived here and a HS sports fan and parent for 26 years, I probably know as much sports history as you.

As for Mr. Moeder, he must have realized-or was told-there was speculation on how his son got to SJA from far west Kansas--if not-why did he do his post. Well written and very straight forward. I am sure there was more than one speculator-he would have not felt the need to post if there was only one. Even if the speculations were wrong, why does that make them stupid.

Still looking a better response to the history of state champions--a history that include all the big sports-boys and girls-and soccer and volleyball. You originally asked for a 20 year history. You must have started a review yourself and found that only 20 years did not support your arguement, so you stretched it to 30 years when the the newer private schools-schols that have been winning state championships-did not exist. If nothing else you are devious. Me, I just keep asking the same questions and then watch the dancing.

You asked me my IQ. That in itself was an attempted slam. I told you what it was 37 years ago--back then I was a lot younger, 70 pounds lighter, and a lot more handsome and dashing.
What did you say your IQ was? To come up with pussfication??it must be in the extreme range.

Last edited by Contrarian; 04/14/10 12:56 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: WillyM] #168554 04/14/10 01:05 PM
M
mfe Offline
M
Coachise: Thanks. People like Bill Mason can't get it through their thick skull that a lot of parents actually take the responsibility to raise our own kids and send them to a school that demands discipline and accountability. Others want the goverment to pay and feed and raise them and whatever the gov. provides, it isn't ever enough. Then when the gov. finnally runs out of money, they start attacking the privates and try to bring them down to their level. We are wasting our time trying to educate Contrarion, he's not worthy of our time. I can appreciate the hardship you and other parents go through to get the best education for your children and if any consulation, as a 70 year old goat like me, you will reap the rewards like i have and be VERY proud of the children and grandchildren you raised to be a credit to society. Thanks for your support@ Matt

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: mfe] #168556 04/14/10 01:15 PM
M
mfe Offline
M
Sorry. I didn't mean to say I raised grandchildren. I just try to spoil them and send them home to get re-educated!

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: WillyM] #168557 04/14/10 01:22 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
.. St. Josephs may have preceded STA, but was it a high school. I see no sports history for St. Joseph. I can believe that Miege, just down the street in Mission was at capacity and the Catholic community wanted another HS, a HS out SW to support the growing Johnson County population--thus STA on or around 1990. Having lived here and a HS sports fan and parent for 26 years, I probably know as much sports history as you.

Just to answer your question about St. Joseph High School and to correct your assessment of how Aquinas was created. St. Joseph High School of Shawnee was definitely a high school. It started around 1930 and a new building was dedicated on 1/29/1952. It has been around a long time and definitely has a rich sports history before it was renamed to Aquinas High School in 1980. The school was relocated to the current Aquinas building in 1988. So you can see the addition of Aquinas had nothing to do with Miege reaching capacity. I am not positive which high school was established first Miege or Aquinas. Miege evolved from the old St. Agnes High School but I am not sure if St. Agnes High School was started before 1930. Here is a history of St. Joseph/St. Thomas Aquinas High School that I found on an internet search:

History of St. Joseph Catholic Schools
Shawnee, Kansas
St. Joseph School has played an important part in the history of Shawnee. Many
Belgian immigrants settled in Shawnee in the late 1800s, and great great grandchildren of
many of those immigrants are in our school today. In 1873 the first parish school, a small
two-story red brick building, was constructed behind the church that had been built in
1868. Unable to find a teacher, the pastor of St. Joseph Church, Father John Pichler,
assumed the teaching duties himself until 1876. Lay teachers soon became available and
Benedictine Sisters from Atchison came to assist in 1906. Because of a teacher shortage
to accommodate the rising enrollment, the grade school was closed from September 1912
until September 1915.
In 1921, a larger two-story native stone school was built. High school courses were
added to the curriculum in 1930, with classes being held on the top floor of the grade
school building. As enrollment grew in both the grade school and high school, a
separate high school was built one block west of the grade school. St. Joseph High
School was dedicated on January 29, 1952.
Between 1952 and 1958 the number of children in both schools nearly doubled. Every
available corner was used for classrooms, with the basement of the grade school being
put into classroom use, and the Knights of Columbus Hall providing space for students.
Grade school enrollment increased so much that some classes were held in the high
school, forcing high school classes into the cafeteria and the gym-auditorium.
In the summer of 1955 eight Brunswick bowling alleys were installed in St. Joseph
High School at a cost of $51,000. They provided many hours of entertainment for
members of the parish and the community. Increased space demands in 1968 saw them
removed and the area converted to additional educational use.
In 1958 a modern red brick grade school was built at 59th and Flint, with dedication
ceremonies November 23, 1958. About 850 students occupied the new building; with 11
Benedictine sisters and 5 lay teachers. The old stone grade school was used from 1958
until 1968 for supplemental classrooms. It was razed in 1968 to make room for the new
church.
St. Joseph High School was serving several nearby parishes, and was renamed
Aquinas High School in 1980 to reflect a change to operation by the archdiocese.
Although most of the students still came from St. Joseph Parish, many were from
surrounding parishes.
In the fall of 1988, the Aquinas football field was named Mirocke Field in honor of
Gennaro Mirocke, better known as “Rocky” or “Coach”. Coach Mirocke had taught and
coached sports at St. Joseph/Aquinas High School for 41 years when he retired from
coaching in 1992. He continued to teach for three more years at the new St. Thomas
Aquinas High School in Overland Park. When he retired from coaching he was one of
the winningest coaches in Kansas, being one of only three coaches to win over 250 games
in the state. He passed away in 1995.
When St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Overland Park opened in 1988 the Aquinas
High School in Shawnee was officially closed. That same year, the old high school
building was converted into the St. Joseph Early Education Center (EEC) for preschool,
kindergarten and day care. A new gymnasium was added to the building in 1994.
Another addition to the building was made in 1995 to accommodate infant care.
St. Joseph Grade School celebrated its 125th anniversary during the 1998-99 school
year. The students and staff observed the anniversary in several special ways throughout
the year, including: historical notes in the school bulletin recalling facts or events from
the parish’s and school’s past, special displays developed by parents, students and staff, a
banner placed on the east side of the school calling attention to the event, and a
photograph of the entire student body and school staff in a “125” formation on the school
grounds. Archbishop James Keleher concelebrated a 125th anniversary Mass on Friday,
January 29, 1999 with several school alumni involved in the service.
Construction on a new state-of-the art grade school building began in 2002.
Archbishop James P. Keleher dedicated the St. Joseph Education Center September 21,
2003. Capable of accommodating 720 students, the building consolidated grades
kindergarten through 8 and religious education classes which had been spread out among
three buildings on the parish campus. The facility includes 36 classrooms, including
music, art and computer rooms, a large cafeteria/commons/auditorium area, and full
wheelchair accessibility. The faculty includes 37 certified teachers and support staff.
More than 600 students were enrolled for the 2005-2006 school year.
Classrooms on the top floor of the old grade school were remodeled in 2003 to provide
space for the Padre Pio Academy, a private, independent Catholic school. The Academy
is an alternative between home schooling and the traditional Catholic school system,
providing education for students in grades kindergarten through eight.
The old grade school building became the Parish Service Center in 2004. The main
floor classrooms in the old grade school building were renovated to accommodate the
Christian Formation Office staff, the Grade School Development and Accounting office,
and the parish copy shop. Adult and youth ministries occupy the lower floor.
(Note: Included in this history are excerpts from “History of St. Joseph Church: 1868-
1968,” compiled by Mrs. Henry J. LeCluyse.)

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: Husker Fan] #168560 04/14/10 01:41 PM
WillyM Offline
OK. Thanks. I stand corrected. But I still see no sports history for for a St Josephs or STA prior to 1992. Lots of Miege history.

What sport did Coach Mirocke coach and in what sport did he win 250 games?

Added: I find one state championship by Shawmee St. Josephs--3A football in 1971.
I find one state championship by Shawnee STA--All Class Softball in 1982.

The earliest State championship I find for the current STA is 54321A Soccer in 1992.

Last edited by Contrarian; 04/14/10 02:04 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: WillyM] #168565 04/14/10 02:16 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
OK. Thanks. I stand corrected. But I still see no sports history for for a St Josephs or STA prior to 1992. Lots of Miege history.

What sport did Coach Mirocke coach and in what sport did he win 250 games?

I am pretty sure it would have to be football since it said they named the football field after him. It would make sense too with 250 divided by 41 seasons coming up with an average of 6.098 wins a year. Which is good but not particularly a dominating record. I think it does show the value of the long term service record of a coach that you can keep at a school long enough to build a program like this coach or Terry English Miege girls basketball and Gwen Pike Miege volleyball both of whom have been coaching there over thirty years in their programs. I think it would help any program public or private to have good coaches with many years in their programs.

You might be having a more difficult time finding earlier sports history on St. Joseph/Aquinas High School in the school's earlier years before 1988 than Miege either because they might not have as many state championships as Miege or possibly they may have been in a lower state classification than Miege due to lower enrollment in the years before the high school moved to Aquinas' current Overland Park location.

Vince Nowak

Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: WillyM] #168567 04/14/10 02:31 PM
WillyM Offline
Smokey:

KC Sportsmom was talking school budgets and state educational funding and was insinuating that KSHSAA was the Kansas governing body doing all the money manipulation. Wrong. Wrong KS governing body, wrong KS budgeting agency, wrong tax authority, wrong education funding authority. Apples and oranges!!

If you don't want school activities and athletics, they cost too much, tell your local KSHSAA reps, tell your local state senator and congressman. Nothing is free--everything costs. If we can't afford something, eliminate it, take it out of the budget. If we want to cut, many would start with cutting all girls sports--they should be taking HomeEc any way. Next goes soccer, boys and girls--any way, soccer is that girly sport they play in Europe. Cut volleyball-another girls sports, plus those tight shorts are almost indecent. In the fall the girls can be cheerleaders for the true HE Man Sport-football. Cut wrestling--no one cares. Basketball, cut the girls, undecided about the boys. While we are cutting, cut music and art. We can play music off a CD at football games.

Dam, this cutting is fun!

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Private vs Public Education Advantages [Re: WillyM] #168568 04/14/10 02:41 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H

Another reason you found so much Miege history prior to 1992 in comparison to Aquinas is all those state girls basketball titles that the Terry English coached teams won during that period and the girls volleyball state titles that the Gwen Pike coached teams won during that period. Again very good coaching that over that period of time will build a program that produces a lot of state championships and high placing finishes. It can be shown with public schools too like Van Rose with the SM Northwest cross country program. By the way that cross country program also has built an extremely strong program spirit and anyone who has seen the team compete at State can attest to it.

Vince Nowak

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 232 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)