Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: badbo] #181756 02/11/11 05:12 PM
U
up4wrestling Offline
U
If the kids are beat and burnt by now...then why does everyone push for the next level? Why not ask you son if he wants to wrestle at Kids State? We are already looking ahead to hopefully either Sr Nationals or a tournament in Iowa...and then onto Brute and any other tourney to come up..and looking forward to the Freestyle Greco wrestling...as far as the Denver Dual team(s) if you aren't in the top two in all state you prob. don't have to worry about being asked to attend with a Kansas team if I read the post correctly..so much for wanting to "expand" our wrestling world.
Let the kids wrestle if they want to but if you as a parent are the ones behind the "want" then maybe you should find an old timers tourney...they are out there!

Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: shwrestlingmom] #181764 02/11/11 06:12 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: shwrestlingmom
How many HS wrestlers competed last year at Kids State?

Last year was the first year for the HS division as most know. I would say it was a great success. Although it was somewhat short of being a "Grand State" in my opinion, the majority of the brackets were very solid. There were several HS state medalist that failed to place. There was even at least one state champ that didn't even place and Brute champions that did not win it.

Last edited by XGHSWC; 02/11/11 06:13 PM.
Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: HEADUP] #181778 02/11/11 08:46 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
if you don't show, you can't claim it.

So in other words, exactly as it is now.

yep in words easier for all to understand chief's ranking don't mean anything, except that he has lot's of free time, and enjoys spending it with usawks, and kwca.

Not sure what precipitated the last comment above but I disagree.
Also, my boy won this "Grand State" thing last year and I don't remember no crown. Is that some new deal they are implementing this year?
Anyway, all he really cares about is winning HS State. "Kid's" State is good practice though.

Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: XGHSWC] #181779 02/11/11 09:38 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
i don't think anyone is trying to take away anything from high school state, especially myself. i just saw this thread as a way to "drum up" some competition. i myself remember being in hs and wanting nothing more than come home after school and relax, instead of continuing the season. but you said it yourself that some hs placers will not place at kid's state so even though i think extra mat time is good no matter where you get it. you are right it is good practice.

and trust me i meant no disrespect to chief, just sayin, the talk about who is best only goes so far. i have seen some of the best matches ever at kids state because hs school schedules, classifications, etc. don't allow two wrestlers to meet, during the season.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: HEADUP] #181786 02/11/11 11:19 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
10-4 HEADUP.

Ok, just seemed kind of derogatory, especially the free time comment. I am sure that Chief is just as strapped as the rest of us if not more and is running on overload this time of year. I for one appreciate his commitment and sacrifice, I am sure that I am not alone on that.

Agree, have seen "some of the best" matches at "Kid's" State. But I have also seen some of the best matches at HS State, Basehor, etc.

Oh, and I do appreciate you, smokeycabin, Enetophobic and whoever trying to "drum up" business for Kid's State. It is a great thing and a great experience, my son has been there the last 8 years in a row. But we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that right now, HS State is the "real" State, no disrespect intended.

Just being honest right Badbo.

Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: XGHSWC] #181788 02/11/11 11:32 PM
T
tbau Offline
T
Most high school wrestlers could care less about kids state,We are never going to have a grand state unless kshaa sanctions it. Kids state is not grand state, most of the top wrestlers will not be there

Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: tbau] #181792 02/11/11 11:48 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
it's just that "everyone" "wants" a grand state, but we really can't figure out a better way. i think badbo might be onto something, let's ask the kids what they want.

probably the most suggested grand state structure is a 16 man, bracket composed of the top 4 from each classification. the date would be one week after the current state tournaments.

why can't usawks promote this?? remove the hs division from kids state, and have a tournament the week after hs state. make the brackets up as mentioned before, using 5th and 6th placers to fill in for no-shows.

just ideas, no0ne trying to say kids state is anything better or a "real" grand state, and i hope that chief knows me enough to know it was tongue in cheek. everyone appreciates what he does. btw he will usually stand up for himself if he thinks someone has crossed his "line" lol.

Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: HEADUP] #181794 02/12/11 12:12 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
using 5th and 6th placers to fill in for no-shows.

Its all good but this. These guys deserve to be there too because some of them could beat some of those 1-4 guys.

it's just that "everyone" "wants" a grand state,

Cool, but I would rather see a dual state.

Chief will usually stand up for himself if he thinks someone has crossed his "line" lol.

True dat.
I am certainly not compelled to stand up for Chief. If he knows you like you say he does then he would know it was "tongue and cheek", but other readers would not, I certainly didn't but I'm straight now.

Good day to you.

Last edited by XGHSWC; 02/12/11 12:14 AM.
Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: XGHSWC] #181798 02/12/11 12:55 AM
BLT Offline
So here's a question...
What if a club wanted to do this tournament and charge admisson? I think admission and concessions is the only way to even break even here. Do you think there would be enough support and people would show up for it?

Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: BLT] #181807 02/12/11 02:10 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: BLT
So here's a question...
What if a club wanted to do this tournament and charge admisson? I think admission and concessions is the only way to even break even here. Do you think there would be enough support and people would show up for it?

only one way to tell.

Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: HEADUP] #181843 02/12/11 11:29 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It is a way for the young men in the state of Kansas to validate skills against each other. It is the only championship series where these guys can sign up and wrestle to the top over a 3 week period. Nothing else in the state is set up in this format. The tournament can be called what ever - but it is the only opportunity for the 4 classifications to square off head to head - in one qualifying series tournament format. The only thing missing is calling it the "Grand State Championships" - the format is real.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 02/12/11 11:49 AM.
Re: Grand State is in place - opportunity exsists!! [Re: smokeycabin] #181994 02/14/11 12:14 AM
W
Warriordad Offline
W
The more posts that are put on here I read, makes me wonder if this isn't a topic for the kids folkstyle forum. KSHAA isn't going to endorse it, period.
Personally, I think this is a great idea. It's just never going to happen for the same reasons there isn't a "grand state championship" in football, basketball or any other sport where schools are involved.
Think of the movie "Field of Dreams", if you build (promote) it, they will come.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 153 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)