Quote:
Originally posted by proud mom101:
....I do have questions about the District tourney. I am sorta a new one at this so bare with me. Can anyone tell me, do they always make the 1st place kid from Sub District wrestle a 4th place kid from Sub District? Make more since to have the 1st place from S go against the 1st place from N and so on...
That is the way it is done at tournaments that have qualifying tournaments or a seeded tournament. The State tournament does it the same way. I believe the theory is that you want the top wrestlers to meet in the later rounds and ideally the top two in the championship match. Basically the objective of the tournament is to structure the brackets so the best wrestler will finish first in the tournament, the second best wrestler will finish second, and so forth. This would not happen if the two best wrestlers meet in the first round unless it is a round robin bracket.

You earn this higher seed advantage either thru the qualifying tournament (Subs) or thru past performance (which is how the wrestlers are seeded for Subs or tournaments like the Park City Classic). Just about all sports that have tournaments do this like tennis and NCAA basketball as examples. In these qualifying tournaments where the 1st place wrestler from one Sub faces the 4th place wrestler from the other Sub, I have seen the 4th placer wrestler win the match several times. It happens at State too.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions