I have been on and seen both side of this.

I have with my boys been very firm on not having them cut weight.

I have always felt that wrestling is a hard enough sport that as young kids this is a issue that drives smaller kids away from the sport if their parent do in fact have them cut weight.

I have a boy this year that is kind of stuck inbetween two weights. That usually isn't to big of a deal and I would always just bump him up to the next weight. In 12U the diffeence is 10 pounds so it changes the game a bit.

We currently have been eating better cutting out the sweets and pop and have been able to stay at the top of the lower weight. I don't see that cutting wieght rather than managing it.

When and if he get to a point to having to stop eat or great reduce it he will be at the higher weight without hesitation or how it will effect his ability to win.

So overall I am against "cutting" which I consider that not eating.

I am all for managing the intake and eliminating the luxury items to help maintain their weight.

As far as cutting to dodge, it happens all the time and in my experiences with that it doesn't matter where you go if you are dodging someone it usually doesn't work out in the long run.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS