http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/members...;twId=111444009

Sportsfan02,

The fact the we are high-jacking the HS tread to discuss this ought to give you a clue. It doesn't even rate it's own forum on this site. Nobody cares about MS wrestling in KS. The only people who seem to really care is the parents. KSHSAA, apparently cares enough to control MS wrestlers but doesn't offer them much for it.

My son whom I have posted his track wrestling profile above is one of those kids this system hurts. He loves the idea of being on a team and was thrilled to be a part of his Middle School team and the AAU Team that went to Iowa last season. He also was thrilled to be on the FS/GR team in Indiana last season. He was also on a team this season at Park Hill Duels. So being on a team is not an issue.

The problem stems from not having anyone to practice with and or wrestle with at local Tournaments. He practices with adults exclusively now since nobody else will touch him. We get turned down at tournaments since he is big and too good to wrestle with. Had to back out of VC tournament this last weekend as nobody would wrestle him. Can't move up an age group @14U and can't move up a weight group when your HWT. Our option is to wrestle out of state till the HS boys get done with state in about 2 months. I do what I can but it is expensive to wrestle out of state.

The choice to wrestle MS is one that basically puts his wrestling progress at a standstill. He will have very few matches in MS. If he gets 10 this year I will be surprised. He basically schooled the HWT class at Pioneer League Tournament as a 7th grader. However, the HS boys he will have to wrestle at state will have had over 20 matches by that time.

It would be more beneficial for him to be able to wrestle MS during the week and be able to catch a few National tournaments on the weekends when possible. Most other states are not quite so controlling and do allow this. My OK wrestling friends think we are retarded for doing this to the kids. They even allow the HS wrestlers some options to wrestle major national tournaments while in season.

If you do take the time to look at his Track page listed above, note the number of hits he has on his page. People are watching him and his progress. Some of those people will likely be colleges looking for a good HWT. Tell me that not having real options is not hurting him.

Thanks, Troy Fowler

Fortune assists the daring.