Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Cokeley] #212041 01/21/13 02:16 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
These are kids! Not men, not HS kids. When you enter two weeks ahead things happen. Jack and Chad, we are trying to grow this sport. People spend hundreds to come to this tournament and maybe the little guy had a growth spurt and just couldn't make it or it became obvious that it wasn't safe to go down? This is a kids sport, there is no reason to be a hard a$$ or you will just run off many potential competitors. I am just saying you would allow, for a $50 penalty, a bump up one weight class. At Fargo you get bumped up for free. TN is no bigger or better than USA FS/GR Nationals and those are HS kids not 8 year olds.

Cutting weight is a part of wrestling. Allowing kids(or parents) to sign up and then not make weight is not the answer. Scratch the kid and don't let them wrestle, then next time they will either move up a weight class or make weight.

Another problem is that a kid(parent) will see the competition and then "not make weight" and move to an easier bracket. The right thing to do is make weight. I don't care if the wrestler is 6 or 60....MAKE WEIGHT.

If the rule for making weight is not followed, how can you expect any other rule to be followed?

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Beeson] #212044 01/21/13 02:36 AM
C
Cluckner Offline
C
Unfortunately the idea of "cutting weight is necessary in wrestling", is true, but to me that is just plain stupid for these kids. Parents that decide to either make their kids cut a ton of weight, no matter the reason, or just "miss weight" so they can move to an easier bracket are dumb. They need to stop living through the kids, and let the kids be whatever they are going to be. That is just my opinon. After cutting a ton of weight when I competed, I will never put my son in the position to do that. The simple rule I follow, as Beeson said, is that if I as a parent choose to enter my son at a specific weight then he will make that weight. I wont put his well-being at risk because I want to pound my chest that he is great.

Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Cluckner] #212058 01/21/13 11:59 AM
Cokeley Offline
There is fine line between teaching a lesson and running off a customer. The sport has to be commercially viable as well as disciplined within the rules. If you are only allowed to move up one weight class I don't imagine there is a lot of running room available, if any. These events are about the ONLY events left that take a hard line and if the numbers continue to fall you will see flexibility just like you do NOVICE Tulsa Nationals and HARD LUCK tournaments. Adapt to survive or disappear.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Cokeley] #212062 01/21/13 02:12 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
There is fine line between teaching a lesson and running off a customer. The sport has to be commercially viable as well as disciplined within the rules. If you are only allowed to move up one weight class I don't imagine there is a lot of running room available, if any. These events are about the ONLY events left that take a hard line and if the numbers continue to fall you will see flexibility just like you do NOVICE Tulsa Nationals and HARD LUCK tournaments. Adapt to survive or disappear.

I commend these events for taking that hard line and making kids and parents toe that line. Shame on the tournaments that don't. That make it easy. Shame on them for teaching that you don't have to make weight, that you don't have to sacrifice, that you don't have to be disciplined. Wrestlers have always been looked up to for being very disciplined. Weaken the sport by allowing kids to not make weight and you are contributing to the pussification of America.

Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Beeson] #212067 01/21/13 02:41 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I allowed overweight kids to move at Hutch this weekend. For reasons like will said, we are competing against several other tournaments and if moving 5-6 kids (which is about what it was)help get return clubs then good deal.

I do commend the clubs that contacted me about the overweight kids, they could have easily gave them a pass since it was home weigh in.

I do however think on a National level that it should be hard lined. Kids and parents know what they are up against when they sign up for those types.

The local weekend open/novice are to help develop new kids and parents along and help retain those kids as long as possbile.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Teamroper] #212074 01/21/13 03:32 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Teamroper

I do however think on a National level that it should be hard lined. Kids and parents know what they are up against when they sign up for those types.

The local weekend open/novice are to help develop new kids and parents along and help retain those kids as long as possbile.

I agree with you on both statements.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 76 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)