I believe South Dakota and Wyoming have state laws that prohibit boys and girls from wrestlind each other, I could be wrong of course, but that would show that Title IX does NOT give girls the "right" to wrestle.

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I keep hearing about this SMS kid that got "screwed" out of a chance for state. He did get to wrestle, yes? So he was banking on beating a girl for his ticket to state? Then what? and who guantees that he wins this match, I don't know anything about any of them.

I have been in several regional tournaments where a questionable slam/injury default (where the slammed kid later wrestled, hmmm?) sent the slammer (usually a high seed) to the back bracket and really blew things up, that's why if you play the bracket and things go haywire, those are the breaks.

I had a senior lose in a consolation semifinal, to an underclassmen from a private school that transferred in that year to wrestle and was wrestling at a different school in a different classification the next year. I suppose the argument could be made that had that other kid not switched schools around, my kid, who showed loyalty to one school for all four years would be going to state. Bottom line, we had an opportunity to make it to state and didn't get it done. We got over it and went on to bigger things.

You all can quit crying now.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan