Originally Posted By: Dean Welsh
Originally Posted By: Rford
[quote=GregMann]Back in the day penalty points could be awarded for repeatedly taking your opponent down. It was considered to be intentionally humiliating your opponent and was considered to be unsportsmanlike. It did not exist for very long.

Anytime I see an offensive wrestler leave his feet with his opponent and "pile drive" the defensive wrestler, (especially if the defensive wrestler does not have full use of both arms), into the mat with the defensive wrestler taking the full force of the move before any part of the offensive wrestler hits the mat, I see "slam."

I am seeing MMA having an unhealthy influence on our sport.

JUST MY OPINION.

I don't recall the take-down let up being illegal ever. Danny Knight, a good wrestler from Iowa used it when he was in HS.
It is illegal (taunting) to let a kid off his back repeatedly. That was an interpretation that came out after the taunting rule was adopted. The takedown situation is, or was, a case book example as being allowed, though. But I'm still a young man so I don't remember everything that happened in the day.

Having an arm trapped puts your opponent at risk and as this situation reveals, it can cost you a point, or a match.

MMA is absolutely causing a bad influence in wrestling. As is a general lack of sportsmanship in all sports and in society in general. Too many jerks with not enough societal pressure to be civil and treat each other with respect. Even on this forum you sometimes see people being rude to one another.

Yikes.

One could infer from the above that you think Isaac is a 'jerk'. I think he was just wrestling hard. I don't think his intent was to 'hurt' or 'punish' any one.

Oh for crying out loud....you don't have to worry about needing to infer what I think...I'll tell you bluntly. Please don't infer that I have any opinion at all about this match or this call or this 16 year old outstanding wrestler. As far as I can tell, he's as good as they come and I would not have a clue as to his personality or any personal traits.

My comment was directed at MMA and how that type of activity, combined with what I believe is the obvious, well-known erosion of civility causes. It has nothing to do with this one match and one minor penalty point and I never tied the two together. It was an unnecessary roughness call and I don't have any opinion on it at all.

Last edited by Rford; 02/26/13 02:02 AM.