Originally Posted By: shawnbudke
Why don't we all be honest about what is really going on here...

There are a group of folks that want the kids season to end earlier and they want to work towards some form of a high school aged Grand State. THAT WAS NEVER A GOAL. HS WAS ADDED TO ALLOW MORE HS KIDS AN OPPORTUNITY TO EXTEND THEIR SEASON. THE STATE PLACERS WERE NEVER EXPECTED TO FLOCK TO THE SERIES.
You can't get there from here if high schoolers are involved in the kids state series. So the first step was eliminate the 16U division and create a high school division. THIS WAS DONE BECAUSE WE SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO ADD AN AGE GROUP. ALSO, THE NUMBERS WERE PITIFUL FOR 16U. WE DON'T EVEN NEED TO HAVE SUBS FOR HS BECAUSE THE NUMBERS ARE LOW AND THEY ARE THE LEADING AGE GROUP FOR SCRATCHES AT SUBS.

The second step was to create a USAWKS sanctioned 6U state. IT WAS TESTED SUCCESSFULLY THIS YEAR. WE LIKE KEEPING THEM ALONE BUT THE LOGICAL STEP WOULD BE TO ADD 8U AND 10U AND HAVE THAT AS A THREE WEEKEND SERIES THAT ENDS THE SAME WEEKEND AS HS STATE. THIS GIVES THESE GROUPS TIME TO ENJOY SPRING BREAK, DO OTHER SPORTS, OR CONTINUE IN THE NATIONAL EVENTS IF THEY SO DESIRE. WE ONLY ATTRACT ABOUT 45% OF OUR CARD BUYERS TO THE STATE SERIES AND WE NEED THIS PERCENTAGE TO BE HIGHER.

The following steps have yet to come to fruition. If we can create a bylaw to not allow hs wrestlers to wrestle 14U then it becomes easier to create a separate kids state series that could include the 6U but not high schoolers.
After that it becomes easier to create a USAWKS sponsored grand state for high schoolers a week or so after high school states.

THAT SEEMS TO MAKE SENSE BUT THE REAL ARGUMENT IS THAT THE MAJORITY OF 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS ARE NOT PREPARED TO WRESTLE HS WRESTLERS YET AND THE HS WRESTLERS HAVE A STATE TOURNAMENT ALREADY. SO IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE THAT SO DO THE MS WRESTLERS THEN WE COULD DO THIS. 6U, 8U, 10U, MS AND HS. CALL IT GOOD.

Will if I missed anything please fill in the mistakes.
I only bring this up becauseI can't believe that a few of the people I know and respect feel so strong and react so emotionally to this 14U/HS debate. Also, I find it pretty offensive when I hear these folks making blanket statements about kid ducking competition and running. IF YOU ARE A HS WRESTLER AND YOU CHOOSE 14U ARE YOU DOING IT BECAUSE IT IS MORE CHALLENGING? GIVE ME A BREAK SHAWN. THERE IS ONLY ONE REASON, TO HAVE AN ADVANTAGE.

I do agree with Beeson.....I don't think this will pass if it is brought to the state body....AGAIN! EVENTUALLY IT WILL. CHANGE IS A SLOW PROCESS. MOST CAN BE EDUCATED AND THOSE WHO CAN'T WILL FALL BEHIND.
Shawn Budke

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com