2. Define professional coaching staff. If you are defining by having paid coaches then there are a lot of clubs that have professional coaching staffs. In fact, depending on how you define professional, some could argue that a lot of club teams have more professional coaching staffs than a lot of high school programs based on time committed to sef development, involvement in the sport of wrestling, experience, resume's etc. NOT CLUB IS PRACTICING 6 OR 7 DAYS A WEEK. 90% OF THE CLUBS PRACTICE 2 OOR 3 TIMES A WEEK. THE HS PRACTICE SITUATION IS MUCH DIFFERENT AND MORE CONVENIENT FOR THE HS WRESTLERS. In fact, schools are much more limited on the level of "professional" coach they can hire due to the fact they usually have to ensure it is a teacher (I know, not necessarily true for private schools, just us folk in public schools). RULE 10 COACHES ARE HIRED BY PUBLIC SCHOOLS QUITE OFTEN SO THAT IS NOT TRUE.

3. 7th and 8th grade wrestlers are not restricted by all of the KSHSAA rules that you rant about on the high school forum. THEY ARE IF THEY WRESTLE MS WRESTLING. They can practice 7 times a week if they choose. They can go to camps, they can get private training. In fact they have a lot more opportunity when they are wrestling for their club than kids do when they are under the KSHSAA rules in hs or ms wrestling. NO CLUB PRACTICES 7 TIMES A WEEK. GIVE ME A BREAK. YOU ARE REALLY REACHING SHAWN. ON TOP OF THAT THERE ARE NOT ANY HS KIDS PRACTICING WITH THE CLUBS SO THEY ARE ONLY WRESTLING OTHER 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS. YOU KNOW THE PRACTICES ARE DIFFERENT IN MANY WAYS.

Some high school wrestlers do compete agains middle school wrestlers when they are in Cadet age group. I AM SPECIFICALLY TALKING ABOUT THE THREE WEEK KANSAS KIDS FOLKSTYLE STATE SERIES SHAWN. DON'T TWIST THIS! ALSO, CADETS ARE DEFINED BY A DIFFERENT DOB CUTOFF.

9. Irrelevant useless point. Nobody has used that example.
TOTALLY RELEVANT IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THE CADETS IN YOUR ARGUEMENT. THE CHANGE IN THE DOB WOULD ELIMINATE NEARLY ALL OF THE HS 14U COMPETITORS.

Again, get on the national talk forums and appeal to USAW to change the Cadet age and requirements to something similar to what you are proposing for us in KS and I will quit arguing with you. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPIC. YOU ARE TWISTING THIS ARGUEMENT.

Will's quote: I don't feel that ANY HS wrestlers should be allowed to wrestle 14U. IN THE KANSAS KIDS STATE SERIES!!!

So are you saying you will not let Sammy wrestle Cadets at Fargo when he is a Freshman? He may have to wrestle an 8th grader that is in the Cadet age divsion that hasn't benefited from all the stuff you listed above. Personally, I will let Brock wrestle Cadets as a freshman and understand he will wrestle some 8th graders. In fact I a looking forward to him wrestling Cadets this year as an 8th grader and can't wait for him to get a chance to compete against some high schoolers. I AM NOT SAYING THIS AT ALL. I AM SAYING ONCE YOU ARE IN HS WRESTLING YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO WRESTLE DOWN TO 14U TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE DIFFERENCE IN THE PRACTICE AND COMPETITION YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO DURING THE PAST FOUR MONTHS THAT GIVES YOU AN ADVANTAGE OVER THE GENERAL POPULOUS OF 14U FOLKSTYLE WRESTLERS. GEEZE SHAWN.

What I really don't understand is where you are coming from on this. Of all people you are usually the one pushing kids and pushing the rules to make things less restrictive and encourage more opportunities to go and seek the best competition. I feel like we are living in a different world right now with your perspective on this.

Also, you can provide specific rebuttals to my other post and I invited them however, at least publically acknowledge that conceptually the breaking up of kids state and getting it over sooner was something you have been trying to influence for years. We talked about what I laid out over 3-4 years ago. I ANSWERED YOUR POST.

Bottomline: Will is still a good friend and I would do anything for him (accept support this proposal). He does a lot for wrestling and I greatly appreciate these healthy debates we have.

Shawn Budke

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com