Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: C. Frazell] #225362 02/17/14 07:12 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I always hate being the contrarian but if we changed the contact rules for coaches that would ultimately mean the same for all sports. If that were the case, then what would prevent the football coach from having spring drills at the same time you want the kids doing FS/GR? Then to take it a bit further, what would prevent the baseball coach from having indoor practices during folkstyle season? While the summer contact rules have been great for our program, I would bet there are other wrestling programs it has hurt. We have to keep in mind, that wrestling is 3rd to 4th best in the hearts and minds of parents, athletes and most importantly AD's. As it stands now we only have to compete with one sport for the kids during folkstyle season and I am fine with that. But if you add another ball driven sport to the competition I'm not sure wrestling would fare so well.

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: sportsfan02] #225364 02/17/14 07:40 PM
Cokeley Offline
They expanded contact to football in the last few years. Football coaches get their hands on the kids the day after Memorial Day now. The ONLY time wrestling coaches get to have their kids without a conflict with football is during wrestling season.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: Cokeley] #225366 02/17/14 07:53 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
They expanded contact to football in the last few years. Football coaches get their hands on the kids the day after Memorial Day now. The ONLY time wrestling coaches get to have their kids without a conflict with football is during wrestling season.

I know, they expanded the contact for football as a result of the summer contact rules for wrestling I believe. As I said, this has still been great for our wrestling program, primarily because we had coaches in both sports willing to work with each other. My guess is, in some schools that has not been the case and football has dominated the summer activities. There is already a strong desire for spring football amongst many fans. Seeing as how football carries the financial load for most other sports it wouldn't surprise me if a change in spring contact for wrestling was accompanied the same for football. Be careful what you wish for!

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: sportsfan02] #225372 02/17/14 08:52 PM
Hossus Offline
Summer football conditioning programs are taking the kids summers away from them. Really don't like that they start that crap in June and have them out there in the heat like that. Call it what want it is still a practice if it counts against you later for missing some of it.

Fortune assists the daring.
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: C. Frazell] #225376 02/17/14 10:33 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: C. Frazell
I was there....It was NOT an accident. There was way more to the situation even after that incident, and I thought the official handled the situation perfectly, and never raised his heart rate. With that said I hate to see the athlete lose the whole season!!

The official requested a lifetime ban, while in a separate incident, KSHSAA ignored a referee shoving a 14 year old to the ground.

Last edited by Chief Renegade; 02/18/14 12:01 AM.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: Chief Renegade] #225379 02/17/14 11:38 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
I was there....It was NOT an accident. There was way more to the situation even after that incident, and I thought the official handled the situation perfectly, and never raised his heart rate. With that said I hate to see the athlete lose the whole season!!

The official requested a lifetime ban, while KSHSAA ignored a referee shoving a 14 year old to the ground.

So KSHAA thought the lifetime ban was not warranted and did not fulfill the request. Why did the official shove the 14 year old to the ground? If he felt threatened and the 14 year old, who has been trained in fighting (wrestling), pushed or shoved first, I say shove him to the ground. If a 14 pushed me, I guarantee I would put him on the ground.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: Beeson] #225382 02/17/14 11:57 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Frazel. I'm not sure what else you think happened. I was there too. I have been there every since too. I do not condone the behavior nor do or have i defended it but for you to get on here with your expert witness b.s. and say what was or wasn't intentional is a joke. And what happened next, get ready folks.... drum roll...... The athlete went home. He did not take a dumb bell to a toilet (happened same day at a different tourny) didn't punch anyone (happened same day at a different tourny) didn't leave in handcuffs (happened same day different tourny) didn't run into stands and shove spectator to the ground. Oh wait, that was a college basketball player. Older more mature and got a 3 game suspension. Look, I appreciate my sons supporters as well as Josh Biera detractors as I happen to be both. Mr. Biera did not handle the situation perfectly Frazel. In fact he did everything in his power to ensure this would happen, then reportedly a similar situation happened 1-2 week later? Where is the pattern? My son is taking his punishment like a man and is flattered that he is relevent in so many grown people's lives. He wishes you all well and looks forward to not being a topic next year except from Wyatt or Chief. Good day.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: Beeson] #225384 02/18/14 12:03 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade

The official requested a lifetime ban, while KSHSAA ignored a referee shoving a 14 year old to the ground.

So KSHAA thought the lifetime ban was not warranted and did not fulfill the request. Why did the official shove the 14 year old to the ground? If he felt threatened and the 14 year old, who has been trained in fighting (wrestling), pushed or shoved first, I say shove him to the ground. If a 14 pushed me, I guarantee I would put him on the ground.

I edited my post and should have clarified that the official that pushed a kid down was a separate incident.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #225385 02/18/14 12:07 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Chad old friend. Might want to stick around the Ark City area. You as an adult being paid to officiate a child's tourny do not have the authority to batter my child no matter what he or she does! You may not legally put your hands on my child in an aggressive Manor. Period. Actually no ref should ever touch a competitor other then to let them know the whistle has blown in a loud atmosphere. If a wrestler who is legally a child touches the ref for any reason while emotional they are done for the season? But if the ref does the same or worse and is arrested, charged and convicted in court and nothing? Still able to officiate? Can't wait to here the rebuttal for this post.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: Chief Renegade] #225386 02/18/14 12:13 AM
Beeson Offline
Thanks Chief. I do not know what happened in either incident. It sounds like the official in Mr. Cavanaugh's requested too strict of a punishment. KSHAA did not agree and enforced a lighter sentence. To the Credit of the Cavanaugh's they are taking their punishment and learning from the entire experience.

I would be interested in the whole story with the official pushing the 14 year old to the ground. Although I would assume that KSHAA heard the entire story and dealt with it as they saw fit.

Now as for a kid taking a dumb bell to the toilet...inexcusable for any reason. Punching an opponent, sounds like that wrestler should be done for the season also. Going away in Handcuffs, season needs to be over also.

Hearing all of this that happened in one weekend. What are you parents teaching your children? More importantly, coaches what are you teaching your wrestlers? KSHAA shouldn't have to deal with it. Coaches and Parents should be handling this crap.

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: Beeson] #225387 02/18/14 12:14 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
AGREED!!!

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #225389 02/18/14 12:24 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh
Chad old friend. Might want to stick around the Ark City area. You as an adult being paid to officiate a child's tourny do not have the authority to batter my child no matter what he or she does! You may not legally put your hands on my child in an aggressive Manor. Period. Actually no ref should ever touch a competitor other then to let them know the whistle has blown in a loud atmosphere. If a wrestler who is legally a child touches the ref for any reason while emotional they are done for the season? But if the ref does the same or worse and is arrested, charged and convicted in court and nothing? Still able to officiate? Can't wait to here the rebuttal for this post.

Patrick, I don't want to fight with you over this. I just posted how well it seems that your family is handling this unfortunate situation. With that being said I will say this. If a 14 year old came up to me in a threatening manner and shoved me, spit on me, head butted me or assaulted me in any way. I have every right to legally protect myself, and that would include aggressively putting my hands on the child. I am not saying that I would beat the child to a pulp. I would protect myself and embarrass the child. Children, and we are talking about 14 year old children that are the same size and strength of adults need to know that in the real world there are real consequences for attacking someone. That usually includes taking a butt whooping if the child was ignorant to think nothing would happen because they are a minor. Just don't threaten or attack me and there is absolutely no issue.

Now as far as the official that shoved the child to the ground that Chief is talking about. I do not know what happened, but if he was arrested and convicted it sounds like KSHAA made a serious error in judgment.

Apparently these were two separate issues, one having nothing to do with the other.

Patrick, I feel bad for your family for what has happened, but I applaud you handling it in the manner in which you have. I hope only the best for you and yours in the future.

Chad

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: Beeson] #225391 02/18/14 12:40 AM
J
JamyD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Sooo.... 2500+ views and 31 replies later the answer to my original question is...hahaha...

Jamy Dunbar
Osage City Wrestling Club

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: Beeson] #225392 02/18/14 12:42 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Yep. Got caught up in the moment. Adrenaline pumping. Don't even have a horse in that race other then to point out kshsaa inconsistencies. Good luck to you and Jake going forward too. Thank you.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #225394 02/18/14 12:44 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Ha. Jamy, welcome to the dysfunctional club of having you thread hijacked. My apologies. Nice write up in this month's USA mag though. Congrats.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #225395 02/18/14 12:45 AM
J
JamyD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
BTW....

Osage City Summer Tourney is projected for Mid to Early August time frame. Look for us on trackwrestling this Summer. Hope to see you there.

Hey this has now become free advertisement. I started this post, I can do what I want, haha.

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: JamyD] #225397 02/18/14 12:53 AM
J
JamyD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
No worries Patrick, your post made me almost drop my computer laughing. Thanks on the congrats on the USA Mag article. It really helped our club out.

And hey, we are all one big happy dysfunctional wrestling family here in Kansas, haha.

Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: JamyD] #225410 02/18/14 02:15 AM
J. Dale Offline
At what age are you to old to refer to Burger King as Booger King?

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: J. Dale] #225412 02/18/14 02:34 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Dual Coaching question [Re: sportsfan02] #225429 02/18/14 02:15 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: Cokeley

I know, they expanded the contact for football as a result of the summer contact rules for wrestling I believe. As I said, this has still been great for our wrestling program, primarily because we had coaches in both sports willing to work with each other. My guess is, in some schools that has not been the case and football has dominated the summer activities. There is already a strong desire for spring football amongst many fans. Seeing as how football carries the financial load for most other sports it wouldn't surprise me if a change in spring contact for wrestling was accompanied the same for football. Be careful what you wish for!

Sportsfan, I respectfully disagree with the highlighted statement. Football can't even pay for itself at the high school level. ANY HS that claims that football is a cash cow is either cooking the books, under insured or using equipment that is not current. Add it up: insurance, helmet, shoulder pads, pants for practice, pants for games, jerseys, coaches, football field capital cost, football field maintenance, utilities, travel costs, etc. Wrestling might be the least expensive sport for a school to offer.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 213 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)