Will:

You are asking for feedback and although I no longer have anyone actively wrestling I guess I am still interested enough to be actively supporting the Kansas College Wrestling Fund and to still occasionally be getting on to this forum so I am going to give you some feedback.

First in general I really like the idea of this type of Grand State tournament. If accepted by the Kansas wrestling community I think it could be as close as we could expect to the Grand State concept. I think it is innovative and good you are trying to plan such a tournament. Here are a couple of questions I have though.

I am not sure why you are setting up an extra $10 registration entry difference for those who do not wrestle at their KSHSAA weight. It seems like you have set weights with a reasonable five pound weight allowances set up so why the extra $10?

I am not sure if high school coaches are allowed by the Kansas State High School State Association to coach underclassmen in a post season event like this. I really do not know but I thought maybe they might be restricted from doing so. Do you know for sure if they are allowed to?

You state on the donation part that it will go to Fort Hays State University Bob Smith Wrestling Endowment or the Kansas College Wrestling Fund. Does this mean that the wrestler on his registration will get to choose where he wants his donation to go between the two funds? If so why just Fort Hays State as a specific school option? Or does this mean the wrestler will be able to choose another college if he prefers to have it designated specifically to say Newman, Baker, Benedictine, Ottawa, or other universtiy. Since this is a statewide tournament perhaps it would be best just to designate the donation to the Kansas College Wrestling Fund or as an alternative give the wrestler the option to be able to designate his donation to the Kansas college wrestling program of his choice. That way senior wrestlers who have already committed to another Kansas college could designate their donation to their future school or perhaps one where another family member is currently wrestling. I think it would be a mistake to limit a specific school donation to only FHSU.

The registration fee of $31 or $41 might be a little rich for some Kansas wrestling families especially when they need to also plan for other traveling expenses. This might keep some quality wrestlers from participating and thus lessen a little the Grand State competition.

The danger of giving feedback is that it can be seen as all negative. I really do not want you to think I am all negative on this. I like the overwhelming majority of your idea for this tournament.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions