Originally Posted By: Coach Beck
This is the last time I'm going to post on this topic. The previous post wasn't aiming at anyone's opinion but my own. I am saying we are missing low. We are behind multiple states within our region, let alone nationally, results clearly show that. Neither of the states leading our region have scheduled competitions per trackwrestling.com, March 21.

I don't buy the we don't have a D1 program so we suck opinion either. There are a vast number of monetary, logistical, social, and political issues leading up to the addition of a program. I also feel that being one of the lone states to compete on the weekend of the Division 1 wrestling tournament wouldn't look like a positive to a committee looking at the support levels for a prospective program.

Finally, I agree that there would be at least 4 tournaments that weekend full of Kansas youth, which is tremendous. Though, it could have to do with the fact that it is a mandatory qualifier for the state tournament. Those same four tournaments would also be full if they were held the weekend prior.

I'm saying even if we end our season before NCAA's there will be at least 4 invitational youth tournaments that same weekend. If we want to create fans of the sport, we need to do it on the local and state level first and foremost. The vast majority of our kids never get to see a high school match until they themselves are in high school. I have for years advocated a statewide moratorium on tournaments the weekend of high school state in order to encourage our coaches and parents to attend. Doesn't matter to me either way, because that is where my youth wrestler will be.