We have a 6 & under and Elementary Folk Style State Tournament
Then we have a Middle School Folkstyle Championship (this is used to create national dual teams)
Then we have the USA WKS folk style "State Championship"

We use to only have 1 Folkstyle state tournament with 16 & under as the oldest division, 14U, 12U, 10U, 8U. I liked that - the 16U (typically kids who do not start wrestling until high school) was a good way to develop some the JV guys and not as experience freshman and sophomores who made varsity but may not placed at HS state. Our more experience/accomplished wrestlers will find national events and competition. Taking the older kids state and seperating the young kids state - I do not agree with that. Those 8 & 10 year olds look up to those 12, 14 & 16 year olds for "leadership" at practices and at tournaments. Those are just a few of my thoughts.

The other State Tournament has stayed about the same FS/GR

I think having 2 "State" tournaments is enough - 1 FS/GR and the other Folkstyle.

I think our national dual teams can be determined from the 2 state tournament series. We have been taking a lot of multiple teams to these out of state events and I think they can be very valuable. We need to look very very closely at the attrition rate and where and what age groups we are losing kids and why. My thought process in the morning is more clear when I am at a computer - instead of typing on this phone - so I will share more ideas and experiences with the committee when I get a good nights sleep.

One more thing - length of folkstyle season is about 3.5 -4 months for our clubs open wrestlers - it is about 1 month shorter for the novice group - but they can chose to continue with the open group. The kids from our club have the opportunity for about 3.5 - 4 months for FS/GR. In general a very very small percentage of the approximately 1,500 kids that I have coached over the last 35 years do or did wrestle 8 months of the year.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 01/29/16 10:34 AM.