Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: jeremy sekavec] #241998 08/15/16 09:31 PM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
Jeremy - I get it, grew up out there in the sticks. I would think Hays High or even Russell both of which have 2 gyms might be able to host it. Packed full sure but not crossing 3/4 of the state to get there.

The numbers are a bit confusing however. Here are the changes with the new boundaries:

D1 -11
D2 +15
D3 -17
D4 +13

I only checked the mileage in D4 because lets be honest all others are close. 101 miles was added to the North part and 33 less miles in the south.

And you could be right about reaching Topeka soon. Johnson County, Wyandotte (KC) and Douglas (Lawrence) are projected to have the most growth over the next few years (84% of the states growth). Riley and Sedgwick are the other two in the top 5 growth. Dodge City is the only real Rural area with growth projections.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: sportsfan02] #242000 08/16/16 06:51 PM
B
B.Mannel Offline
B
[sportsfan02] I could drive diagonally from corner to corner of District 2 in 3 hours and D-2 was held in centralized Mulvane if I'm not mistaken. Sportsfan, I think somebody stopped for breakfast or it was granny slow driving an LTD wagon for grandson in order for it to take +three hours for those to get to the tournament in D-2. grin The counties being added to D-4 like Cloud or Ottawa aren't going to be the "Western Kansas natives" that expect travel times they are getting thrown at them. Hutch is more "western" than Cloud or Ottawa. Those two counties should be in District 3. Regardless, someday Hutch will get sucked back into District 4 kicking and screaming because of the head counts growing in Districts 1-3.

The "exceptions" Mike Juby speaks of in the southern counties are likely the Hugoton and Liberal clubs. Yes, we understand longer travel times are expected but to ADD to travel times for us let alone those in Ottawa and Cloud (specifically) is a large stick in the eye. It appears more so that the lesser populated counties were thrown under the bus after Hutch people ground out a long drive to Goodland ...just my two cents. A spade is a spade...and Bones1768 is calling it.

[To Daniel DRW] As J.Sekavec has noted, very few facilities are capable of hosting D-4. Beloit might be capable (I haven't been to their facilities in +20 years) but it is approaching a 5 hour drive for us. Liberal has a capable facility as well but hosting the district tournament would be an injustice for many in D-4 given Liberal is less than a 5 minute drive from Oklahoma. I would feel really bad for those in Concordia packing for a SOLID (and I mean very SOLID) 5 hour drive. Sekavec is spot on about Gross Memorial cost/availability. No offense to the great Goodland people but that location was rough on those in the far SE corner of D-4 ....and Goodland was splitting at the seams for seating with a fire marshal that was harassing a couple of our parents about them standing. There was no more seating... After Hays' Gross Memorial coliseum, facility capacity concerns pretty much leaves Garden City and Dodge as the most centralized AND CAPABLE facilities to host the D-4 tournament. It's not like we want to throw down some mats at the bottom of a hillside pasture outside Ness City in early March on account of centralization (although I could probably arrange such!). It's not an easy situation but you are trading one county's travel time being moderately shortened (assuming Dodge or Garden or even Pratt is hosting) for a handful of new counties added to D-4 having travel GREATLY increased when placed in D-4.

[To Sekavec]A survey can be misleading. Who is responding? A mountain of Hutch people? You know how that survey is going to turn out wink They won't have to grind out a long drive to Goodland! You are also spot on about travel costs discouraging competition in western KS. Not quite half our kids in the club regularly travel to tournaments largely due to travel costs.

Just the view from an unaffected party...unless Concordia or Beloit hosts a D-4.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: B.Mannel] #242003 08/16/16 11:01 PM
B
bountyhunter Offline
B
While they did a good job with the tournament, Goodland was very undersized for hosting districts.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: bountyhunter] #242004 08/17/16 01:09 AM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
B. Mannel - I agree with pretty much everything you and Sekavec have said and would try to advocate for D4 even though I'm not in it.

If you reference the numbers I listed above the district #'s changed so minimal that I don't understand the logic at all. All it really did was make D4 travel worse than what it was. I think most in D4 understand there is going to be travel but to add 101 miles for extremely minimal changes in #'s is odd.

As for places to host a District I agree not a ton of locations. What's your thoughts on Hays High with 2 gyms and a wrestling room? Russell has 2 gyms and a wrestling room also, main gym has lots of seating. Could put the heavier HS kids in the wrestling room with a few chairs, we have done that before. Typically they don't bring as many fans as the younger wrestlers. Based on D4 #'s last year and a quick swag I think those options could work to be more central.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: smokeycabin] #242009 08/18/16 01:53 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Curious...

Who all got these surveys? I don't believe our club got one.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: L.Geyer] #242010 08/18/16 05:09 AM
Pelland Offline
Pratt could physically handle D4. In addition to all of our smaller motels, we have 4 newer motels out by the college giving everyone options. We also have 3 gyms all in the same general vicinity of one another. Gym 1 our current HS gym, gym 2 our middle school gym which is down the hall and connected to our current HS, and gym 3 our old HS gym which is approximately 70 yards across the parking lot to the west of our current HS. Each gym would provide ample seating.

W/out any research, HS division & bigger 14u kids in the old HS gym (2-3 surfaces), 14u & bigger 12u kids in the middle school gym (3 surfaces), and the rest in our current HS gym (6-7 surfaces).

We could start weigh ins super early on Friday like 1:00pm. Weigh-ins wouldn't be such a congested cluster Friday night giving everyone ample time to slide by the Chapeau and snag a pizza taco and a cold beer.... eek . We would be done by 3:00pm on Saturday, and those traveling back to Goodland would be home in time to watch the NCAA finals.... grin

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: Pelland] #242011 08/18/16 10:49 AM
M
MSvikings Offline
M
I got a survey emailed to me a couple of weeks ago.

Josh Parker

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: L.Geyer] #242012 08/18/16 11:06 AM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
It's whatever email address that is listed by the club director when they submit their excel to Kathy for card purchase. Some clubs just use one single club email address for their entire club, therfore none of the members will recevie it.

Matt said to have people contact Joe Knecht if they didn't get it.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: Pelland] #242019 08/18/16 08:27 PM
B
B.Mannel Offline
B
Pratt has the facilities and past tournaments are well run. Only negative is Pratt location being almost as brutal for travel times for those in the NW as Goodland was for those in the SE of D-4. Pratt's separate gym not very convenient for a parent or coach pulling double duties however gym 3 is not really needed either. There is enough capacity with gym 1 and 2.

It is my understanding that Hays outgrew its high school facilities seating capacity for hosting and why their tournament is held at Gross. Someone like Geyer would be better qualified to answer that question.

Russell isn't the worst of geographical locations IF there is indeed seating capacity. You need the mat space of course but also physical capacity to put butts in seats....with the additional questions of if the Russell club would WANT to host, volunteers, etc. Like Hays question, only someone from Russell club or history with therein is qualified to answer that question. D-4 geographical expanse is what it is...Cloud and Ottawa getting the shaft IMO. Leave 'em in 3.

BTW, our club didn't receive a survey either. Is this the senate or the house style of survey? Should one get more clout by number of emails a club has or one survey per club? Hutch might have a lot of email addresses...with Cloud and Ottawa needing/wanting a lot more email addresses tied to their clubs now. grin Like I wrote before, a survey can be misleading.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: B.Mannel] #242021 08/18/16 08:48 PM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
Originally Posted By: B.Mannel

BTW, our club didn't receive a survey either. Is this the senate or the house style of survey? Should one get more clout by number of emails a club has or one survey per club? Hutch might have a lot of email addresses...with Cloud and Ottawa needing/wanting a lot more email addresses tied to their clubs now. grin Like I wrote before, a survey can be misleading.

When clubs purchase cards for their members they send an excel document to Kathy Juby, if the club doesn't enter the individual email address of each wrestlers parents then they won't get the survey unless you contact Joe Knecht, that document is the only way for them to have that info at the state level. Some clubs leave it blank others use the main club email address for all members.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: B.Mannel] #242022 08/19/16 03:01 AM
Pelland Offline
Originally Posted By: B.Mannel
Pratt has the facilities and past tournaments are well run. Only negative is Pratt location being almost as brutal for travel times for those in the NW as Goodland was for those in the SE of D-4. Pratt's separate gym not very convenient for a parent or coach pulling double duties however gym 3 is not really needed either. There is enough capacity with gym 1 and 2.

Thanks for the kind words Mannel. You might be right about the 3rd gym, however if the HS division stays, and we add the 6u division to the series, I think we probably would need the extra surfaces. The 2nd gym isn't terrible. The stroll down the hall gives you a chance to cool off and enjoy the silence.... cool

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: B.Mannel] #242027 08/19/16 07:37 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
You are correct we changed to Gross Memorial when our tournament started pushing 1000 entries.

Re: State Body Meeting October 9th [Re: Matthew Treaster] #242261 09/30/16 03:52 PM
B
bountyhunter Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Matthew Treaster
Yes, the results will be shared.

Has this been done already and I missed it?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 165 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)