The dates for this year’s event are THURSDAY April 13th, FRIDAY April 14th and SATURDAY April 15th. It is held at the Mid America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa. This is one of the nation’s elite team events with top notch competition guaranteed. Our middle school teams attend this event also.

The qualifying tournament for this event is Sunday Feb 26, 2017 at the Salina Bicentennial Center. This year, Kansas is taking 6 teams plus alternates. We will be wrestling for 7th/8th at the qualifier so it is easier to select alternates. Every year there are changes to the teams because of injury, etc. With so many changes to the teams last year, there was some confusion as to what team certain wrestlers were on. If a wrestler who finished above you at the qualifying tournament can’t go, you automatically move up one spot. In other words, if you finished fourth and the second place wrestler drops out, you move to third team and the third place finisher moves to second team. The placers below you all move up one spot and the 7th place finisher then has the option of going. The top 6 finishers in each weight will receive the required forms etc at the awards podium the day of the qualifier.

We will meet at the Ramada Inn – 605 SW Fairlawn, Topeka, KS 66606 - Thursday April 13th between 9-10 am to pass out gear and load up on the buses for the trip to Council Bluffs. We will leave by noon in order to arrive and get checked in to our hotel before weigh-in. Weigh-ins are at 5pm and we will be there early to be one of the first in line to weigh in. Everyone has to weigh in from 5-8pm Thursday – there is no Friday weigh-in. I understand this location is not convenient for everyone. If it is out of your way to come to Topeka first, I will give your wrestler their gear at the hotel in Iowa after the weigh in.

This year, I will be doing the same thing as the middle school in regards to the shorts for Team 1 – sublimated shorts for Team 1 members. Also this year, we will have 2 buses for the wrestlers to ride on. Depending on how many alternates we have, there may be one van needed. We believe this is safer and it is one less thing to worry about.

I will have someone smarter than me post a link to the singlets.

The wrestlers will be staying at the same hotels as last year – Best Western Plus at 2510 Abbott Plaza and Candlewood Suites at 2601 Abbott Plaza. These are right across the street from each other. I will have a block of rooms for the parents at both hotels and will also have additional block at the Sleep Inn – which is 1 block away.

Keep an eye on the talk forum for additional information as we get closer to the event.

Dal Eck
dal@matteck.com
316-641-4913