I don't have a dog in the fight at this point in time, but I will reflect on personal experience. My son had the always talked about "bad birthday" late August, so while he was in the 7th grade he wrestled 14u. We could have had the ole pitty party and complained about the rules, but that would not benefit anyone and have done nothing but give him the ole "dad says" reasons for getting his butt kicked or excuses for not working to improve his technique and skills. This was the first year of the HS division and as we looked at the sub and district bracket found the mountain very tall. He didn't shy away but embraced the challenge. He ended up qualifying 3rd at district and had to wrestle a HS state placer at district. Went on to state and first match got beat by HS state placer, but went on to beat 2 other HS kids and beat that same HS state placer in consolation semi finals. Moral of the story embrace the challenge and work to beat those kids and you will always have fond memories, and you might just set them up for a successful HS career. I'm positive my son would not trade the experience it gave him and prepared him for HS wrestling. I also know he wouldn't trade 3 HS team championships for the world.

Paul Finch
Garden City

Last edited by P Finch; 03/14/17 05:52 AM.