"What a bunch of garbage.

I believe we can all agree success breeds success. Not all students at Immaculata or Leavenworth are basketball players. The recent success of the football program at Leavenworth High School, a one year turn around by a new coach, proves my point. Fact is the lack of producing a winning program at Immaculata directly impacted participation by students who were not basketball players. Last I knew, part of the job of the high school coach is to promote the program in school and recruit in school athletes to participate and grow the program.

Sadly, the former coach was unsuccessful in his endeavors and the program was dropped."

Richard,

My quote of Leavenworth being a "basketball town" might have been a small exageration and was not meant to slight the success of other sports there, especially wrestling. It was more of a statment that the success of Leavenworth basketball overshadows other sports in that town. Kind of a problem the whole state can identify with.

I am always glad to tout the success of Leavenworth Wrestling. I believe last year there were 4 LHS grads wrestling at the college level and Leavenworth has been one of the more consistent teams in Kansas City for the last 30 years. No one works harder than coach Schmidt.

I think the success of one football season is not a good comparison. If the new LHS coach leaves after four years and Leavenworth goes back to the door mat in the sunflower league, are you going to call him unsuccessful.

I believe VS Vike Coach had a lot hurdles to overcome at Imac than a coach at Seaman would have to overcome. For example, and please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure, but VS Vike coach wasn't a teacher at Imac, but was solely employed to do wrestling. Under these circumstances it's very difficult to "promote the program in school and to recruit kids".

Like I said earlier, Imac wrestling was in serious trouble before VS Vike coach arrived. There were teams with 4 or 5 kids on it. Give the guy a break.