I really can't speak on the mindset of other officials, but I honestly cannot see how an official could have a "favorite" wrestler. It is far too easy to spot an official who would be making calls for a specific wrestler over and over again.

When I was in high school, our team used to think this one official hated us, because so many calls went for the other team. But then when it came time for State this same official made the same number of calls our way. Later on as a coach and then official I got to know this particular person and see him officate other matches and I found out that he called every match the exact same.

I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility for referees that aren't impartial, but you have to ask yourself, what would these officials really gain from siding against any particular wrestler? The answer is nothing, in fact they could get in serious trouble, and lose any credibility that they might have had. I don't think that would be worth it to most any official you would find in our state.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS