Understandable Mike,

Its been my experience thats its pretty easy to tell when a coach is just saying something in the heat of passion, and when he is trying to be belligerent. There are a few coaches up in east Kansas that have rode me a few times, and I really didn't think anything about it because I knew they were just fighting for their wrestlers. And then there were the coaches who knew they were going to say the wrong thing, so I gave them a warning (only two this year).

I haven't ejected anyone this year, I'd like to think its because most of the calls I've made were good ones. But I let coaches know pretty much up front that certain topics are not up for discussion. The ones that are civil to me I explain to them that I'll give them a brief explanation of what happened at the table, and if they want a more detailed description to see me after the match. I try to be as civil with a coach as they are with me. I really appreciate when a coach has a cool head comming to the table.

By all means if you want to vent your frustrations about someone go ahead, but please keep in mind that a few missed calls doesn't make a poor official, and neither does one that follows the rules by the letter.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS