Kansas Wrestling

Nationals in Kansas

Posted By: Anonymous

Nationals in Kansas - 03/24/03 11:09 PM

Why is it that the Nationals may not return to Topeka or Kansas next year?
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 03/25/03 01:28 AM

This is the 3rd or 4th year the Nationals have been in Topeka. Unfortunately, this tournament is one week following the Kansas Kids tourney. Since the same volunteer pool does both tourneys, it is getting to be a bit much on them. We in Kansas are very proud of our volunteers and their ability to put on a quality tournament but perhaps it is someone elses turn.
Posted By: Coachjt

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 03/25/03 03:12 AM

Folkstyle National entries are due by March 26 (Wednesday). We will accept late entries, but they will be subject to a $50 late fee! This is likely the last year it will be in Kansas - don't miss this great opportunity! Kansas wrestlers should enter thru their clubs, and do not need to include copies of their USAW cards.

This year, for the first time, Cadets (born 1987-1988) are welcome at the USAW Folkstyle Nationals. In addition to our regular qualifier, Kansas Cadets can qualify for this event if they competed in their high school's Regional tournament.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 03/25/03 01:14 PM

My family and I have been traveling to Topeka for the last 4 years and we really hate to see the Nationals move to somewhere else. However, we understand the dedication and committment it takes to support, organize and run a tournament as well as you folks have in Kansas.
Thank You.
Posted By: Mike Juby

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 03/25/03 02:01 PM

It has been a difficult decision to allow the Folkstyle Nationals to move on. The tournament was started in 1997, with Missouri serving as tournament host. It moved to Kansas in 1998, making this the sixth year that it has been held at the Topeka Expocentre.

We've made a lot of friends around the nation during these past six years, and hope to continue to see many of you in other events. It is our hope to make this year's tournament the best one yet.
Posted By: Kit Harris

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 03/26/03 02:27 AM

In past years, if a kid did not make the weight class he entered, he was simply moved up to the next weight. In other words, whatever the kid weighs at weigh-ins after his second attempt will be the weight he competes at. Is this the way weigh-ins will be handled again this year?

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 03/26/03 12:52 PM

The bracketing is not done until after the conclusion of weigh-in. Wrestlers will be placed in brackets based on their actual weight at weigh-in, regardless of what weight class they indicated on their entry form.

No one will not wrestle because they didn't make weight.

Kit ... how's that for a triple-negative?
Posted By: Noblet

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 04/01/03 11:18 AM

We are looking forward to this weekend. As stated earlier we have met a lot of people from all over. I was asking at the State Tournament where the Nationals would be next year but never got an answer. Does anyone know and will there be a cadet division next year? Thanks, Dan
Posted By: Olathewrestlingmom

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 07/21/03 12:17 PM

Has anyone else heard the wonderful little rumor that Kansas is going to get the 2004 Kids Nationals? I heard that last week and I was just wondering if anyone else had?
Thanks.

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 07/21/03 01:03 PM

I'm currently in Fargo attending the Junior & Cadet National Championships. USA Wrestling uses this week-long event to also host the annual national convention, including meetings of all of the various divisions. I've been told that the final decision on where the 2004 Folkstyle Nationals will be held will be made at the Kids/Cadet National Council meeting on Wednesday (July 23). After that meeting, I will let everyone know where the tournament will be held.

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 07/24/03 12:15 AM

The 2004 USAW Folkstyle Nationals will not return to Kansas. They will probably be in Iowa, Wisconsin or Missouri.

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 07/24/03 02:20 AM

That is so disappointing. Why not Kansas...did it get voted down? When will the announce the location?
Thanks for the information.

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 07/24/03 03:45 AM

It was not put to a vote. USA Wrestling decided to accept bids, and have their staff make the final decision. Kansas probably doomed our own chances when we insisted that USAW change some of their requirements for the tournament, which were boilerplate from their other events, primarily freestyle and Greco-Roman. In our view, the changes we requested would improve on the event. However, I think that USAW was reluctant to allow changes, out of fear that they might impact other events.

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 07/24/03 12:01 PM

Do you know when they will announce the location?

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 08/19/03 04:02 PM

We know that 2004 Nationals will not be back in Topeka, but do we know when they will announce where it will be held? I would think they will be able to give some type of notice to the wrestlers and their families.

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 08/19/03 05:01 PM

USAW announced earlier this month that it will be at the UNI Dome in Cedar Falls, Iowa. I think that the Iowa people will do their best to continue to make this a high quality tournament.

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 08/20/03 04:00 PM

Thank you for the information. I have been looking, I just missed it.
Posted By: 24/7

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 08/25/03 06:03 PM

Will this be the 3rd and 4th?

CoachDad

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 08/25/03 06:36 PM

Yes, the tournament will still be the first weekend in April.
Posted By: wrestlersdad63

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 02/15/04 02:51 AM

Hello Mike
Posted By: chs189

Re: Nationals in Kansas - 03/04/04 03:47 PM

i think Baldridge, Cornejo, and Anderson will take nationals at there weight classes...
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums