Posted By: Anonymous

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 02/28/07 08:58 PM

walking in tallcotton if you ask me.

33. Campbell County Wy.
34. St. Thomas Aquinas Kans.
35. Minooka Ill.
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 02/28/07 09:13 PM

Very Tall Cotton. Just being mentioned with the other teams on the list is a great accomplishment. Just being mentioned with Manhattan, Goodard, Garden City, Bishop Carroll, Hutchinson, Ark-City, Clay Center, Rosehill, Andale, Beloit, Smith Center, & Norton has a good ring to it also.
Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 02/28/07 09:29 PM

They must be recruiting...
Posted By: wrestlingmom

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/01/07 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth
They must be recruiting...

Instead of making recruiting accusations why don't we celebrate the fact that a Kansas Team is on this list!

Way to go boys.
Posted By: Chase

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/01/07 02:23 AM

I think Curtis was making a joke wrestlingmom
Posted By: wrestlingparents

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/01/07 03:23 AM

I am very proud of STA! Good job...keep making Kansas proud.
Posted By: Shark16

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/01/07 04:45 AM

Can we somehow turn this into an evolution vs. religion debate like the last STA forum became.
Posted By: chewbacca

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/01/07 05:26 AM

we can sure try!

lets see, St. Edwards and St. Paris Graham are both in the top 3, which obviously means that God and creationism schools trump those heathen evolutionary schools.

actually im surprised that Poway CA is rated as low as they are. they qualified all 14 of their wresters for state and i believe they did very well the Reno tournament this year.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/01/07 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: chewbacca
....actually im surprised that Poway CA is rated as low as they are. they qualified all 14 of their wresters for state and i believe they did very well the Reno tournament this year.

I was surprised that Oak Park High School of Kansas City, Missouri was not in the top ten.

This is another nice achievement for Aquinas. Congratulations to the wrestlers, Coach Parks, Coach Budd and the rest of the coaching staff and managers. Everyone of you had a great year and are deserving of this national ranking.
Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/01/07 01:03 PM

Sorry wrestlingmom, I was only kidding. Congrats to STA for making the rankings.
Posted By: usawks1

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/01/07 08:18 PM

Oak Park, arguably the best in this area, did travel and sought out tough competition. In doing so they were beaten in dual competition by a few of the front runners!

Kind of the opposite of Branden HS in Florida!

If you get far enough away from the house ... you stand the chance of getting whooped!
Posted By: wrasslinfan

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/02/07 03:10 AM

There is no way possible sta would beat tulsa union or ponca for that matter way way way way overrated we have good individuals but the teams in kansas are not even close.

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/02/07 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: wrasslinfan
There is no way possible sta would beat tulsa union or ponca for that matter way way way way overrated we have good individuals but the teams in kansas are not even close.

It seems to me that you said earlier in the year that Carroll beat Ponca at the Perry tournament. And I am in no way trying to rub it in on Carroll (they are an excellent team) but Aquinas did finish ahead of Carroll at State last week so it would seem reasonable that Aquinas should be rated over Ponca based on those two tournament results. I am not familiar with Tulsa Union and whether they had any common opponents with Aquinas this year.

But anyway it looks like Aquinas is fortunate that you evidently do not have a vote for the rankings! \:\)
Posted By: JFinkeldei

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/02/07 07:57 PM

STA does deserve to be ranked in the nation. Bishop Carroll was ranked 31st in that same poll almost all year (since we beat Ponca City at Perry). Ponca was then ranked 34. We were ranked 31st right up until STA beat us, and then rightly so STA was put in the rankings. Maybe both teams should be ranked but if only one is going to get ranked then STA deserves to be the one.
I am glad to see that the rankers are paying attention to what is happening around the country and starting to realize we have good wrestlers in Kansas who derserved to be ranked.
Jamie Finkeldei
Bishop Carroll

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/03/07 02:14 AM

Coach,

Both teams deserved to be ranked in my opinion. I am sure Bishop Carroll will be ranked in that poll next year and I would guess you will end up pretty high in the poll by the end of the year. That is quite a squad you have coming back.

Good luck to all you and all your wrestlers in the off season and congratulations on the great season you had this year.

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/06/07 03:48 AM

JFinkeldei im not saying we don't have good individuals because we have some of the best, but we don't have great teams we have good teams, and if you think we have great teams your a catholic school im pretty sure there is no rules on traveling see if they would even consider you or sta for the beast of the east, they would probally decline.
Posted By: Andy Hurla

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/06/07 08:01 AM

The KSHSAA does not grant special priviliges to schools for being Catholic, so any school wishing to compete in state-sanctioned activities has to follow all of the rules, including travel restrictions!
Posted By: Beeson

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/06/07 11:50 AM

KSHSAA BITES!!!
Posted By: Shark16

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/06/07 09:05 PM

Andy, a big difference between the Catholic and public high schools is the area from which they can draw their students. And that is a big difference that the public schools don't have. For example, STA has drawn students from as far away as Lawrence to play soccer and from Missouri for other sports. As a specific example, your school's track state championship a few years ago was won almost single-handedly by a kid from Paola. I believe Drew Moreno was his name. The kid was a fantastic athlete, and I'm guessing he piled quite a few miles on his car to go to STA. I'm not saying that's anybody's fault. Just saying that Paola's quite a ways away from that school as opposed to, say ... Overland Park, Lenexa, Shawnee and Olathe.
Posted By: usawks1

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/06/07 09:41 PM

... and Moreno was a stud! Simply a tremendously gifted athlete! I know schools in the Frontier League were elated when we made the change ... except for Paola that is!
Posted By: Wrestlin Scholar

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/07/07 03:40 AM

National rankings are a very subjective thing. The two things that lend credibility to the rankings are inter-state competition of teams and individual national rankings.

The big national two national tournaments are the Iron Man and Beast of the East. Also there are other significant events.
But of course KSHSAA will not allow Kansas teams to travel to events like these. So the people who vote or make up the rankings don't see teams like Aquinas or Bishop Carrol. So Aquinas is lucky to get any votes at all. Yes, a Kansas team might make a short excursion to Oklahoma or Missouri and wrestle an Oak Park or Ponca City. If you want real respect in the rankings, go to the big shows. National guys don't really care if you're whipping up on the Wichita City League or the East Kansas League.

The promoters of the Ironman or Beast would love to have Bishop Carrol or Aquinas at their tournament. If they did, do you think they could place a kid or two?

Second I looked at the rankings. I looked at USA wrestling and WIN magazine. Really didn't see any Aquinas kids ranked. Think I saw on Carrol kid. Maybe I missed them. You can say the rankers show a little more bias to the Eastern kids, but if the Kids place at Fargo and others, they will get recognition. If you have 2 or 3 nationally ranked kids, you will have a good chance at improving your ranking.

Re: STA ranked 34th in latest national poll - 03/07/07 07:08 PM

No way neither team places any at the beast maybe one of the kellers thats it...............
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums