Kansas Wrestling

Best kid never to win a state title

Posted By: Scarecrow_103

Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 03:20 PM

Since i have been up here, i have had a lot of crap talked on kansas wrestling. I find it kind of ridiculous. Our team record against kansas kids is 3- alot (2 of the matches involve ME losing too a teammate, the other is Schroeder getting beat in overtime by our captain) It makes me wonder, Who are the best kids from kansas never to win a "state title"

Shumate
Schroeder
Rush
these names come to mind
Posted By: D Petrie119

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 03:27 PM

goodwin add yourself to that list.. lol
Posted By: JFinkeldei

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 03:39 PM

I don't know how they compare to ohters in the state but the two best from Bishop Carroll are Karl Brown (04) 124 wins with a 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd place finishs at state and JD Johnson (00) with 121 career wins with 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 2nd place finishes at state.
Posted By: wrestle007

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 04:41 PM

i know hes not really kansas kid anymore but heavyweight elijah madison took 2nd as freshman in kansas wrestling for salina central and then went on to get 3 straight 3rd place finished in mo. he lost soph and junior years to dom bradley who was ranked a #1 ranked wrestler in the country. he got upset this year in the first round by a kid who shouldnt not have beat him, he avenged that loss on the backside. hes beaten some great heavyweights in zlatnick and disney...

i dont believe st. thomas aquanis's jed mamie ever won a state title, he was in some pretty stacked weight classes, i believe his soph, junior, senior years he took 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, but i'm not sure. he was a stud though.

turner has some good kids never quite win it. matt bailes went 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, got stuck behind a kid from ark city whose name escapes me at the moment, he gave him a couple great matches but couldnt beat him. that kid beat him at least 2 of those years.

its impossible to say who the best was, but those are a few recent kids that come to mind. i saw schumate wrestle quite a bit and i def. agree that was a great kid who never came out #1 at state.
Posted By: LancerLou

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 04:50 PM

Jed Mamie took 2nd as a Junior wrestling with a broken leg. He wrestled on one knee. Pretty impressive.
Posted By: Ol' AC Dog

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 04:54 PM

If little Flynn (and I hope he does) doesn't win it this year. He definitely belongs on this list!!

Brett Fienne (sp) (Valley Center); Loved the 5 on 2...
Posted By: hugz

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 05:40 PM

Going back a few years but Olathe South HC Steve Mesa from Garden City. 3x runner-up (SO, JR, SR) and 3rd place finish as a Freshman

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 05:55 PM

yea mamie was a tough kid, he wrestlin anywhere in college?
Posted By: LancerLou

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 06:34 PM

I believe he is at Lindenwood near St. Louis.
Posted By: Dawg at Heart

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 06:35 PM

Cody Lambotte
Posted By: Gus

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 06:37 PM

I think Nick Shumate should be on that list. He was a runner up twice and 3rd his senior year
Posted By: LoveToWrestle

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 06:50 PM

I couldn't believe Marcus Bowman never won state. Karl Brown was a great call. I remember Karl and Tanner Gardner had an epic match at Derby about 5 or so years ago. Joey Heershche is another that comes to mind.
Posted By: Nate Naasz

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 07:14 PM

Trevor Richard of St. Francis
2003 5th @103
2004 2nd @103
2005 2nd @112
2006 2nd @119
Posted By: kansaswrestler6

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 07:34 PM

Rj Nill could be considered. 3x State Place,4th,3rd,2nd. And I believe, correct me if i am wrong the last guy not to get pinned or tech falled wrestling Romero Cotton.
Posted By: Scarecrow_103

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 08:24 PM

yaaa sounds right.
Jesse Hardy
Marc Sommers
Mertins

Now that i think about it did mike steinmetz ever win one, i know he wrestled payne 3 yrs in a row, lost 3yrs in a row.
Posted By: tksnkc

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 11:07 PM

I beleive way back in late 70's or early 80's a kid from Smith Center was a 4 time runner up all to the same kid from Beloit... How that had to stink.

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 11:32 PM

stienmetz was a champ his freshman year, i believe at 152. then lost to payne at 60, 71, and 71.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/20/08 11:44 PM

Brian Roberts from Kansas City Turner.

1988 3rd with only 1 loss to the state champion
1989 2nd with only 1 loss
1990 2nd with only 1 loss
1991 2nd with two losses, one loss at regionals and one at state

Posted By: papa scarecrow

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 12:51 AM

Kevin Callahan or Matt Noblet. One of them is not going to win a State Title
Posted By: SFoster

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 02:39 AM

Derek Ross from St. Francis took 3rd three years in a row...

Fr:DNP
So:3rd
Jr:3rd
Sr:3rd
Posted By: Devader, Dennis

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 02:56 AM

Jesse Strawn from Holton got 2nd his freshman and sophmore year at 160 then won state at 89 his junior and senior going undefeated both those years and breaking the takedown and pin record his senior year.
Posted By: Wes Park

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 03:03 AM

shumate
Posted By: Cofaloaf

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 03:04 AM

Dan Sample from Blue Valley Northwest. Not sure what year it was but he was a senior when Zach Roberson was a sophomore and he got second. Our coach was telling us that Roberson's hardest matches were against Sample in the room.
Posted By: D Petrie119

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 03:08 AM

dennis wood from lansing high school
Posted By: Jason Halling

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 03:52 AM

I would add Tad Greer to the list.
9th grade - 6th
10th grade - 2nd (4 losses)
11th grade - 4th I believe (2 losses)
12th grade - 3rd (1 Loss)

Three of his 7 losses were to Jordon Bedore in his final three trips to the state tournament. All close matches within 2-4 points. There may have been another loss or two along the way, but this is from memory and it ain't what it used to be.
Posted By: Jaguar

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 11:05 AM

Mike Bammes from Manhattan was a 3rd place finisher and then was injured his senior year. He then wrestled on a college national championship team and is now the head coach at Dodge City.
Posted By: parkwayred

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 01:28 PM

To kind of fill in the blanks on Mikey B! 4th as a soph and 3rd as a jr 99-16-2 with 66 falls to the list. Hurt the day before state tournament Senior year, he was also ranked #1... And still had HAIR!
Posted By: McLovin11260

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 04:08 PM

Jake Kober Santa Fe Trail
Posted By: McLovin11260

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 04:09 PM

Jake Kober Santa Fe Trail
Posted By: chewie

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 04:29 PM

Jake Kober won last year.
Posted By: hobbes332

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 04:52 PM

Wyatt Bechtel from Eureka never won a title, but did finish runner up his junior and senior year, losing to Bainter from Norton twice I believe. His junior year he had a heck of a tournament, upsetting Matt Mikelbrink in the first round and upset his way to the finals. The funny thing was that he finished fourth in the Eureka regional that year and then was a state finalist.
Posted By: jwatkins

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 05:34 PM

Two wrestlers that stand out in my mind from Wichita West were Earl Henry who finished as runner-up twice to Scott Coleman from Manhattan. Charles Knox Jr. who twice finished as runner-up twice and kept Cody Garcia from being a four timer.
Posted By: John Lynch

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 06:03 PM

bechtel from eureka lost to broeckelman not bainter or at least i know that is who beat him last year.
Posted By: nd07

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 06:35 PM

i remember a wood kid from phillipsburg in 123A that always beat the best guys in the state, including a state champ that was a friend of mine. but i dont think he ever was ever in the finals in hays. Did this kid ever wrestle after HS?
Posted By: Z'sDAD

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 06:53 PM

Did Weatherbee from TMP ever win state? Or Orazco from Ellsworth? I remember this was going to be the match of the State tourney until both were upset in the Semi finals. Although as it turned out Pyle winning wasn't that much of an upset.
Posted By: N. Zahm

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 07:04 PM

Marcus Bowman
Posted By: caylor2010

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 07:34 PM

i'd have to say curtis chenoweth
never won a kansas state championship
but goes on to win an naia national championship
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Z'sDAD
Did Weatherbee from TMP ever win state?

Yes - 2006 - 140 lbs.
 Originally Posted By: Z'sDAD
Or Orazco from Ellsworth?

Ben Orozco - 1999 - 119 lbs. & 2000 - 125 lbs.!
Simon Orozco did not win a State Championship!
Posted By: Holliday Hays

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 09:49 PM

Actually Richard...Tait Weatherbee was a 130lb 4A champ in '06.

I'd have to throw Travis Martin of Ellsworth into the mix - a three time state runner-up.
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 10:05 PM

Brian Roberts of Turner. Best three time runner up in my time in coaching. Brian was a great one.
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/21/08 10:08 PM

Marty Dean of Schlagle in 1993. Beat the 3A, 4A (White from Columbus 10-2), and 6A (kid from Manhatten 9-1) and lost only to Shuman of Salina South (3 timer) on a takedown in overtime in the state semi's. Marty was a pretty tough hombre at 36-1 and ended up third that year.
Posted By: lylegeyer

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 12:50 AM

Steve Mesa 3rd as fresh, 3x runner up, and Brandon Cruth high school All-American and never won state.
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 01:20 AM

wow ... is this the real Lyle Geyer!
Posted By: Red02

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 01:28 AM

Eric Stewart was the kid from Smith Center. It was in the early 80's. too young to remember if it was to the same kid all four years though.
Posted By: Red02

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 01:32 AM

I do recall a kid that finished 1st(9th), 2nd(10th), 3rd(11th), 4th(12th). Just can't remember where his was from. I think it was bank in the late 80's early 90's
Posted By: ErmDogg00

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 04:21 AM

Aaron Madill from Lawrence. He only lost one match his senior year.
Posted By: MES

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 06:01 AM

Brandon Campbell of Sabetha in the early 90's. 4A Runner up 2x and then was ranked #1 all of his Sr. year, got very sick the week of state and finished 6th after reaching the semi finals.
Posted By: markrat

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 01:42 PM

Wasn't there someone from Ellis who was a 4x runnerup in late 90s ?
Posted By: Travis Phippen

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 02:53 PM

Zack Allen has beaten Dusty May, Dusty Spaulding and Jeremy Long. He was also an Junior National freestyle runner up.
Posted By: Jaguar

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: jwatkins
Two wrestlers that stand out in my mind from Wichita West were Earl Henry who finished as runner-up twice to Scott Coleman from Manhattan. Charles Knox Jr. who twice finished as runner-up twice and kept Cody Garcia from being a four timer.

Earl Henry didn't finish 2nd twice. Scott Coleman wrestled Henry once, some tall skinny white dude (sorry can't remember the name) and Aaron Lane in his 3 state finals matches. However, Henry was a bad-a. I played with him in the Shrine Bowl and I remember thinking, "wow. I bet Earl's the only one of us who makes money playing this game someday." Any idea what happened to him?
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 03:55 PM

I believe he went to Pitt State to play football.
Posted By: jwatkins

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 04:04 PM

Earl Henry plays indoor football for the Wichita Wild. I believe this will be his 3rd or 4th year with the team.
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 04:07 PM

Did he play at Pitt?
Posted By: Broeckelman 2

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/22/08 08:25 PM

Actually, Bechtal finish 3rd at his regional because Matt finished 2nd, and then last both years to Broeckelman in the finals.
Posted By: Young William 00

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/23/08 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol' AC Dog
If little Flynn (and I hope he does) doesn't win it this year. He definitely belongs on this list!!

Brett Fienne (sp) (Valley Center); Loved the 5 on 2...

Well, when you wrestle to not get pinned, like Flynn wrestling Detmer in the semis, it's kind of hard to win a state championship. But go ahead and add him to the list anyways.
Posted By: Shark16

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/23/08 06:30 PM

"Well, when you wrestle to not get pinned, like Flynn wrestling Detmer in the semis ... "

Are you kidding??? Did you even watch the match? Flynn wrestled to WIN the thing. He's the first guy to put Detmer on his back all year. He lost by a point and went after the win.

Ask Detmer if he thinks Flynn wrestled "to not get pinned." I'm thinking he will tell you a much different story. And I'd trust his judgement over yours any day, because Detmer's an absolute beast.
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/23/08 06:34 PM

Wow, very cool. Yes, putting your opponent on HIS back is definitely not my idea of wrestling "to not get pinned". Congrads to young Mr. Flynn.
Posted By: olderigetbetteriwas

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/23/08 07:47 PM

From my vantage point(young william, I was in Hutchinson, Kansas at the 5A tournament, were you?) Flynn gave him all he wanted. It appeared to me that Detmer wasn't too keen on even getting in the top referee's postition against Flynn. I'm more of a purist and I don't think the ol' hands on back and immediately trying to come around to a front headlock is real wrestling. Maybe when you're so strong and have relied on(and had crazy good success with) muscling the opponent then it's hard to get away from when the need arises. Sorry for the rant. I just get disappointed when such a great athlete is unable to give credit to a great competitor. What a pompous quote in the paper Kyle.
Posted By: Shark16

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/23/08 08:20 PM

I stand corrected. "Young William" must be either Detmer or a relative of his, based on the quote in the eagle (thanks olderigetbetteriwas for pointing it out).

the quote is:
"I knew he was going to stall the whole time and not wrestle, and that's what he pretty much did," Detmer said. "That's what he did last year in the finals, just a defensive match trying not to get pinned."

Detmer might not be honest enough with himself to admit he was getting worked (and it should be noted that it was detmer who fled the mat at the end and took a stall).
Fortunately detmer's older, wiser and classy coach told the real story:

"But (Flynn) was up to the challenge. He was on fire, he was coming after us. He was wrestling a great match. Those things put together caused it to be a very big scare to us."

enough of the rant, but the facts are what they are.
Posted By: 14oldschool

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/23/08 09:13 PM

Back to the original topic of this thread (best kid never to win a state title), anybody remember a kid named Chance Humble out of Coffeyville?

He definitely had the talent to win multiple state titles, but he never made it to the end of a season.
Posted By: deeohh

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 02/24/08 04:57 PM

Dan Gentzler aka the runner up! His kids pickup for his slacking though. Congrats Jake 112 State Champ
Posted By: lylegeyer

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/18/10 09:19 PM

yes it is!! sorry so late!! lol
Posted By: k.patton

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/18/10 10:17 PM

I would throw Dylan Loyd from St. Francis in the mix. Dont remember his placings but beat a lot of good kids in his high school career.
Posted By: ShakinHandz

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/18/10 11:07 PM

Brandon Pfeifer from ellis and Kevin Hadley from Phillipsburg have to be in the mix. Both were 3 time runner up 3 years in a row.
Posted By: MATT-FAN

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/18/10 11:46 PM

Bryce Bahe Goodland, 6th,2nd (Lost to Tovar from Abilene in O.T. Sophmore vs. Senior) 2nd,3rd.

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/19/10 12:19 AM

Mike Howell went on to becoming a 2 or 3 time DII national qualifier.
Posted By: 321a Wrestler

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/19/10 01:51 AM

Hadley was a 2 time runner up 6th as a sophmore Englebert beat Samulson in the finals at 45 that year. I would throw the names Jamal Davis from Lyons, Scott Wise from Plainville Matt Davidson from Smith Center Jeff Dannenberg from Osborone Blake Thybault from Osborne, and Brock Huchison from Smith Center Trent Vaneaton from Stockton Troy Reicheck from Hoxie all pretty good names
Posted By: Coach Brown

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/19/10 02:48 AM

Jordan Meyer from Sabetha, Fr. Did not qualify Soph.Qualifier Jr. 2nd. Sr 3rd. undefeated all year until he lost to Engstrom in the quarter-finals at State and fought all the way through the backside to defeat Engstrom for 3rd.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/19/10 04:22 AM

Aaron Meister? Finished I think 5th as a Senior, went on to become a NJCAA champion?
Posted By: Jeremy Molloy

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/19/10 01:36 PM

Dustin Bahm of Ark City 2x runner up to Temor Terry.
Posted By: J. Storm

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/19/10 03:20 PM

Michael Scott from Heights 1999. 2 or 3 time state runner up to Spaulding. If I remember right in 1998 and 1999 he beat Spaulding at regionals but lost to him at state
Posted By: BrandonPigorsch

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/19/10 03:23 PM

Brandon Pfifer was a 3x runner up from Ellis. I know he lost to Nate Lawrenz from Herington 2x in the finals.
Posted By: Coach Davies

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/19/10 03:31 PM

Derrick Weller would have to be thrown into the mix. 2nd, 4th and 3rd at state and in his career has beat numerous state champs.

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/20/10 03:24 AM

Aaron Meister won it his senior year
Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/21/10 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Storm13
Michael Scott from Heights 1999. 2 or 3 time state runner up to Spaulding. If I remember right in 1998 and 1999 he beat Spaulding at regionals but lost to him at state

I would say Michael Scott has parlayed his tribulations on the mat into a successful career and life.

He is currently the focus of a TV documentary where he is the Regional Manger of Sabre Paper Company formerly Dunder Mifflen. He also opened his own paper company for a short time under the title of Michael Scott Paper Company.

He is quite the jokester telling innuendo laced "that's what she said" jokes.

Here is a bio for Mr. Michael Scott.
Posted By: lakemats

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/22/10 01:10 AM

Aaron Meister I believe was 5th twice in 4A. NJCAA Champ, 2x NCAA DII All-American.
Posted By: WPetterson

Re: Best kid never to win a state title - 11/22/10 09:48 PM

Doug Knoll from Osborne was a 4x state runner up back in the 70's. Lost to a different guy each year. I think he had only 5 losses in his H.S. career or something close to that. Frewen from Sainty beat him one year in the finals. That might have been the year Sainty qualified 4 guys to state and they all won it for runner up team finish.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums