Nowak

Vincent
Posted By: bigwillyxl

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/15/08 03:23 AM

152- T. Curtis GEHS
171- G. Curtis GEHS
Posted By: CoachDeYoe

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/15/08 03:34 AM

Let the winners get their hands raised. Good luck to everyone wrestling this week.
Posted By: D Petrie119

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/15/08 03:36 AM

Dremel
Williams
abrahms

Moeder
Boyer
petrie

Stokes
Petrie
Neal
Wittmore

Lawrence
Tanenbaum
Haug
Wassel
Ambrose

Cokeley
serbousek

French

Madl
Peoples

Johnson
Middleton

Perez
Curtis
fausset

Worrel

Lalo

Nowak

Vincent

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/15/08 03:40 AM

Making a list is preposterous when you do not even know, obviously, who is going to be entered into this tournament.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/15/08 12:09 PM

Ahhh. Let em guess.
Posted By: back in the day

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/15/08 01:13 PM

Peoples and Madl 140? that should be a good match.

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/15/08 04:22 PM

My opinion doesn't hold nearly as much weight as some other coaches. Understanding that many wrestlers are reading this forum, I will use Dan Gable's words on what pressure can do to a kid from a chapter on "Bringing Out Athlete's Potential":

Gable says, "... on the other extreme are the athletes who look like superstars in practice but who don't perform up to their potential in matches. Most often this problem is more psychological than physical, and it can be extremely frustrating for coaches and athletes. Such a problem is probably more prevalent at the high school level, but it can happen as well at the college level. Sometimes it can happen to a wrestler who has been successful in the past but who has recently suffered some difficult defeats.

Whatever the circumstances, you need to analyze what might be holding your wrestler back and help him over this psychological hump. It is not an easy task... where you are working with an athlete who has years of a psychological debilitating pattern already ingrained. Each athlete has a different set of experiences and a certain button to push in terms of motivation and match performance. One unusual case was the wrestler who responded best to his father's blunt criticism. I [Gable] asked the kid if he wanted to avoid his dad's harsh comments, but he said it helped him push himself to improve and that treatment was okay. Although unusual, this approach worked well for him."

Back to Coach DeYoe's advice: Let the brackets be drawn, support and encourage your children and wrestlers, and make the focus be on winning against the opponent that the bracket places on the mat in front of them. All the other stuff is added pressure that kids don't need during finals week. They are reading this, they know who they need to beat. We, as coaches, know who they need to beat and have been doing what it takes to help them achieve success.

We are molding young men in high school; not college or professional athletes. Until they are wrestling on a scholarship, rankings mean nothing. Ask Jordan Keller (unranked H.S. National Champion). I personally don't think they need any more pressure beyond what they have from school (with finals this week), their own teams, and most importantly- the pressure they put on themselves.

If you want to really help Kansas wrestling improve: encourage more kids to participate in summer programs and send letters to the colleges and universities in the state to start up programs. Thank you to everyone who has already taken on this role.

Posted By: bigblueballs

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/15/08 07:59 PM

Cmon Coach. These talk forums dont hurt anyone. Yeah there are some higher ranked wrestlers that may feel a little pressure, but there are also some wrestlers who are not highly ranked and hyped that may work harder to become that wrestler that people talk about. It works both ways, relax. I think having to cut a lot of weight before a tourney more negatively impacts a wrestler than any message board talk
Posted By: Crossface King

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 02:00 AM

I enjoyed your post and agree on the difficulty faced in motivating our individual student/athletes. I keep reminding my kids that all these matches we wrestle are to prepare them for regionals and state. Now is the time to work out the bugs and on daily improvement.
Posted By: JesusNmark1

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 02:26 AM

Looking forward to a great tournament!

Dremel
Williams
abrahms

Moeder
Boyer
petrie
TJ Stokes

Stokes
Petrie
Neal
Wittmore

Lawrence
Tanenbaum
Haug
Litvack
Wassel
Ambrose

Cokeley
serbousek

French
Flora-Swick

Madl
Peoples

Johnson
Middleton
Ingram

Curtis
Perez
fausset

Worrel

Curtis
Lalo

Nowak
Pacheco

Vincent
Thomas
Posted By: rrever

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 02:40 AM

Lalo wrestles 160.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 03:50 AM

Cannon is a sleeper at 145.

Originally Posted By: CoachDeYoe
Making a list is preposterous when you do not even know, obviously, who is going to be entered into this tournament.

I am puzzled by this statement coach? While there may be a few changes, the wrestlers have settled into their weight class. Obviously we know it will be all of the Johnson County High Schools so a quick review of the first two weekends of results give everyone a pretty good idea who will be wrestling in each weight class.

Putting a list up provides motivation for those who are on the list that want to stay there and motivation for those who are not on the list to work harder to get there.

The athletes are in high school to prepare for life. Life is full of challenges, inequities, more losses than wins so I think this is a healthy use of this space. I did it to promote the tournament, if kids are reading this and worrying about who they are going to wrestle instead of studying for their finals, that is their choice. I doubt there is really any merit to that statement.

Go Thunder!!
Posted By: Brett Shoffner

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 01:37 PM

What school is hosting this year?
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 01:41 PM

I could not help myself from posting on this, because there are some guys I am aware that have not been mentioned at all that I can tell.

First, I got to mention Jake Walker of our Aquinas team. He is wrestling great and he will be a threat to win at either 145 or 152. He took second at Eudora to a very good wrestler Nathan Sommer last week and Jake defeated a top ranked national wrestler from Missouri the week before. Believe me Jake Walker is a strong contender to win this weekend.

No one was mentioned at 189 but two guys that need to be are Jarad Sanches of SM West and Ryan Revoir of Olathe East if they are both going 189. Brett Newell of Blue Valley is also going to be contending for the title this weekend. David Blazevic of Olathe North is a contender at 171 or 189 for the title.

At 215 besides the two mentioned already (Jacob and Pacheco), I think we have a pretty strong weight class. Jake Wooten second at 6A last year has not been mentioned and will be a strong contender for the title. Others that I know will be in the hunt for the title are Nick Pearch of Blue Valley, Leo Beck of Mill Valley, Josh Sanches of SM West, and Jake Carroll of Olathe North.

Lucas Vincent is defending champion and the strong favorite at 285. I know Gardner-Edgerton has a strong 285 Pat Thomas who should place high this weekend. Matt Lausman, the Blue Valley North 285 wrestler, is looking good this year too and should be a placer at this weight class.

I know I probably missed mentioning some deserving heavier wrestlers and I apologize for that and I hope someone else will mention some others. I just felt the wrestlers I mentioned needed to be recognized as contenders this weekend for the Johnson County Championship.

Posted By: OnHwt10

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 02:02 PM

Eric Grant olathe north will be at 152

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 02:21 PM

I did forget to mention Taylor Kettler of Spring Hill at 215. Taylor was another placer at Eudora this past weekend.
Posted By: Wes Park

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Brett Shoffner
What school is hosting this year?

blue valley always does

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: CoachDeYoe

I am puzzled by this statement coach? While there may be a few changes, the wrestlers have settled into their weight class.

It is called letting the wagon pull the horse. I explained it all to you in the PM. Here is why it is literally preposterous:

Preposterous comes from the Latin word "praeposterus" which literally means "in the wrong order". The definition by webster.com is : contrary to nature, reason, or common sense / absurd.

Until the brackets are drawn and the the first whistles are blown we don't know who will be where, who will be healthy, and who will have what draws.

Making predictions on a public forum, like I said before, while 14-18 year old young men are trying to complete their finals, is added pressure. They are not college athletes or professional athletes yet.

Also, you have kids listed who have lost to kids who are not listed in the same weight classes. If it is promoting you seek to accomplish, promote the full spectrum.

Don't let the wagon pull the horse though. Wait until the brackets are drawn and then get excited for what is to come.

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 03:58 PM

these "irresponsible" posts are not going to disrupt any student athletes thoughts about finals. They are mostly posted by old guys like me who remember the fun and joy of competition.

The young athletes that I see have more on their minds than who is going to be where or what weight...

But you are right this is a team contest- who do you think will win the team title this year? Oh wait, it will take some individuals to compete to make it happen so lets wait on that also.

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 04:07 PM

Coach,

Prediction: a statement made about the future.

A prediction made before an event is "in the right order". On the contrary, the kids mentioned above are in no order. They are just a sample of who is likely to be at that particular weight.

Any reasonable person would agree that scholastic achievement far exceeds athletic pursuits in priority. There has been no mention on this thread that contests that. This forum is the exact outlet in which to have these conversations. I would be surprised if the anticipation for the tournaments this weekend or duals this week could be materially altered by a discussion on this thread. There are always conversations, challenge matches, dieting issues, etc. for nearly every event. Rankings, predictions and robust conversations enhance our sport and are certainly not irresponsible. (Unless of course, they disagree with me!) grin

Posted By: bigblueballs

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 06:27 PM

Why dont we just have no weight classes for the tourneys this week. I GUARANTEE the wrestlers spend much more time trying to make weight than reading some message board. Everyone knows you cannot possibly study your best when you are dehydrated and have not eaten anything solid in days. They have dehyration tests now, but anybody that has any common sense knows that extreme weight cutting is still going on. This is much more harmful to the wrestler's study habits than the internet. Hey Coach, Why dont you take away their Ipods, dvd's, laptops, x-boxes, playstations, and facebook profiles while your at it and then these kids might get some studying done.
Posted By: bockman

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 11:26 PM

studying, are you talking about studying. i never did study and I almost graduated. so why study now.
Posted By: nclayton

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/16/08 11:47 PM

So back to the Classic...what is going to be the best match up of the weekend? Madl-Peoples?
Posted By: 10056

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 12:53 AM

What format will this tournament be in
Posted By: KCRealtor

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 01:15 AM

Several 5A wrestlers not already mentioned:

103 - Hodges, Mill Valley - 6th last year, 2nd at Eudora last week
145 - Mullin, Mill Valley - 1st at Eudora last week, Beat 6th and 8th All Class Ranks, Ranked 3rd in 5A
152 - Good match-ups: Curtis, GE - 1st last year @ 145; Walker, STA 4th last year @ 135, 2nd at Eudora last week
171 - Curtis, GE; VanHolland, Mill Valley - 6th last year @ 160, 2nd at Eudora this year
215 - Strong Weight Class - Pearch, BV; Beck, MV

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: 10056
What format will this tournament be in

Four 5 man pools followed by an 8 man bracket. I believe there will be 4 rounds on Friday.
Posted By: Brett Shoffner

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 11:48 AM

thanks.
Posted By: WrestlingFan14

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: nclayton
So back to the Classic...what is going to be the best match up of the weekend? Madl-Peoples?

215 Woten/Nowak

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 05:14 PM

125 - Lawrence/Tanenbaum

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 05:45 PM

215 is looking pretty deep...

In no order:

Nowak - STA
Woten - OE
Pearch - BV
Carroll - ON
Bullis - BVW
Sanches - SMW
Beck - MV
Pacheco - GE
Posted By: BVWJAGS

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 05:46 PM

What was the outcome when they met Lawrence / Tannenbaum met earlier this year?

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 06:16 PM

Chaz Lawrence won the match. Not sure of the score.

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/17/08 11:21 PM

So we will win the team title this year?

Gardner?
Olathe North?
BVN?

sta not this year!

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/18/08 12:13 AM

Good candidates would be:

Gardner - #3 ranked/5A
Blue Valley - #6 ranked/6A
Olathe North - #9 ranked/6A
Mill Valley - #9 ranked/5A
Posted By: wrestlingparents

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 01:11 AM

Anyone know the start time on Friday? I have heard 2, 3 and 4....
Posted By: moeder

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 02:56 AM

wrestlingparents:

2, 3, 4... I'm going to give you another one! smile
The email information I received from the St. James coach says that the tourny starts Friday at 2:30. Although I'm not sure Medina is that trustworthy, (ha) I'm going to count on a 2:30 start time.

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 03:04 AM

Thanks Tim...now I am really confused...I probably won't sleep tonight. And to think, I was going to make you some BBQ....

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 04:43 AM

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE! BRING THE BBQ!!!!! If it's not scheduled for 2:30 and I am wrong, I'll exhibition with Lucas. If I'm right -- have napkins handy, I will be hungry! smile See you tomorrow.

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 04:57 AM

SEEDS: Assuming these wrestlers make weight.

103:

1. Ryan Hodges - MV
2. Tom Abrams - BVNW
3. Adrian Medina - ON
4. Michael Nemer - SH
5. Zach Dremel - OS
6. Tommy Williams - STA
7. Geoff Wright - BVW
8. Chandler Gordon - SMNW
9. Francisco Mora - ONW

112:

1. Taylor Moeder - SJA
2. Adam Petrie - BVNW
3. Trevor Boyer - MV
4. Caanan Coker - SMW
5. Nick Colbert - BVN
6. T.J. Stokes - GE
7. Nick Bauerly - OS
8. Sam Coen - SME
9. Logam Bjorgo - BV

119:

1. Tyler Stokes - GE
2. Ross Whitmore - SMNW
3. Josh Neal - ON
4. David Petrie - BVNW
5. Todd Atchison - DS
6. Jacob Berggren - STA
7. Trevor Bolerjack - OS
8. Lukas Bjorgo - BV
9. Connor Grantham - BVW
10. Nick Ecker - SME

125:

1. Chaz Lawrence - OS
2. Zach Tanenbaum - BVN
3. Jerry Wassel - BVW
4. Sasha Ambrose - BM
5. Doug Kliewer - SMW
6. Rory Haug - SJA
7. Zach Litvak - GE
8. Dylan Swoyer - SMNW
9. Zach Atchison - DS
10. Ethan Becker - SMS

130:

1. Ryne Cokeley - SJA
2. Luke Serbousek - BVNW
3. Daniel Baylog - BV
4. Glen Schongar - SMNW
5. Devin Ellison - MV
6. Joey Stinson - SMW
7. Carter Kerr - SME
8. Justin Erker - BVW

135:

1. Micah Flora-Swick - GE
2. Sean French - BVW
3. Thomas Lewis - SMS
4. Andrew Jones - SMN
5. Brandon Royle - SME
6. John Hanson - BM
7. Cord Powell - SMW
8. Sam Nelson - BVNW
9. Charlie Briggs - SH

140:

1. Parker Madl - BV
2. Linwood Peoples - BVNW
3. Ryan Jalowiec - BVW
4. Shane Slyter - SH
5. Paul Speckin - STA
6. Casey Kidwell - GE
7. Chase Woofter - SME
8. Jacob Hoopes - BVN
9. Anthony Goldfield - SMN
10. Andrew VanHolland - MV

145:

1. Jake Walker - STA
2. Pat Cervantes - BM
3. James Mullin - MV
4. Tripp Hiller - OS
5. Kyle Needham - SMN
6. Conner Middleton - ONW
7. Tanner Johnson - SME
8. Will Greenhaw - SMNW
9. Jacon Ingram - GE
10. Tom DeHart - BVW

152:

1. Todd Curtis - GE
2. Eric Grant - ON
3. Mike Arend - BVW
4. Michael Perez - BM
5. Jeff Lyons - BVNW
6. Kyle Brunson - MV
7. Brandon Vukas - DS
8. Ryan Blankenship - STA
9. Eric Palafox - SMS

160:

1. David Lalo - OE
2. Anson Worrell - BVNW
3. Andrew Rogers - MV
4. Mike Norris - BVW
5. Jake Smith - ONW
6. Matt Kane - BM
7. Cordi Pascal - SMW
8. Jeff Rutherford - SME
9. Patrick Drinkard - OS
10. Rob Cashman - SMN

171:

1. Greg Curtis - GE
2. David Blazevic - ON
3. Josh VanHolland - MV
4. Mike Dulle - BM
5. Jarad Hoopes - BVN
6. Tyler Allen - SMW
7. Nick Caldwell - SMNW
8. Shane Burtin - BV
9. Justin Dierks - SMN
10. Tony Neal - OS

189:

1. Ryan Revoir - OE
2. Brett Newell - BV
3. Jarad Sanches - SMW
4. Eric Rose - OS
5. Rick Haynes - ONW

215:

1. Jacob Nowak - STA
2. Jake Woten - OE
3. Nick Pearch - BV
4. Jake Carroll - ON
5. Kyle Pacheco - GE
6. Tyler Bullis - BVW
7. Josh Sanches - SMW
8. Leo Beck - MV
9. Tyler Kettler - SH
10. Ricky Ashley - SMS

285:

1. Lucas Vincent - ON
2. Pat Thomas - GE
3. Matt Lausman - BVN
4. Josh Motti - BVNW
5. Richard Pierson - SMN
6. Alex Meek - SMW
7. Grant Berning - SMNW

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: moeder
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE! BRING THE BBQ!!!!! If it's not scheduled for 2:30 and I am wrong, I'll exhibition with Lucas. If I'm right -- have napkins handy, I will be hungry! smile See you tomorrow.

I hope they start at 2:31.

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 05:08 AM

Chief - the key word was "SCHEDULED", I did not say the time it would "START". Be honest, you surely wouldnt let Lucas get ahold of me would you? I've already pushed my limit with him about turning down the one-hit wonder Jayhawks smile

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 12:06 PM

So you are out on a technicality. I would have told him, "No bear hugging Mr. Moeder!"

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 01:15 PM

LOL. I have heard it is 2:30 from another source...so I will be bring BBQ on Saturday! I just started up the smoker!!!

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 01:21 PM

"Injecting 2 big pork Butts" that is kind of scary for the vegans among us as well as for the porkers! I heard 2:30 also
Posted By: 24/7

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 02:59 PM

Dremel will win 103. He is too big for the rest coming from 120.

24/7

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 03:34 PM

Him and Williams getting the 5 and 6 seed was interesting.
Posted By: 24/7

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/19/08 03:37 PM

Dremel has to stay down to make weight again. Could even the playing field with who he wrestles tonight.

24/7

Re: Johnson County Classic Predictions - 12/21/08 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Husker Fan
I could not help myself from posting on this, because there are some guys I am aware that have not been mentioned at all that I can tell.

First, I got to mention Jake Walker of our Aquinas team. He is wrestling great and he will be a threat to win at either 145 or 152. He took second at Eudora to a very good wrestler Nathan Sommer last week and Jake defeated a top ranked national wrestler from Missouri the week before. Believe me Jake Walker is a strong contender to win this weekend.

No one was mentioned at 189 but two guys that need to be are Jarad Sanches of SM West and Ryan Revoir of Olathe East if they are both going 189. Brett Newell of Blue Valley is also going to be contending for the title this weekend. David Blazevic of Olathe North is a contender at 171 or 189 for the title.

At 215 besides the two mentioned already (Jacob and Pacheco), I think we have a pretty strong weight class. Jake Wooten second at 6A last year has not been mentioned and will be a strong contender for the title. Others that I know will be in the hunt for the title are Nick Pearch of Blue Valley, Leo Beck of Mill Valley, Josh Sanches of SM West, and Jake Carroll of Olathe North.

Lucas Vincent is defending champion and the strong favorite at 285. I know Gardner-Edgerton has a strong 285 Pat Thomas who should place high this weekend. Matt Lausman, the Blue Valley North 285 wrestler, is looking good this year too and should be a placer at this weight class.

I know I probably missed mentioning some deserving heavier wrestlers and I apologize for that and I hope someone else will mention some others. I just felt the wrestlers I mentioned needed to be recognized as contenders this weekend for the Johnson County Championship.

I looked over Cokeley's original post and Will you did pretty good. You missed a few weight classes but overall you did very well in predicting.

I think my post was pretty much on the button in the guys I predicted to be in contention in the upper weight classes of 189, 215 and 285. I still can't believe that no one else mentioned Jake Walker as a contender for the title before my post! Great job in winning 145 this weekend, Jake Walker.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums