Kansas Wrestling

126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac

Posted By: Enetophobic

126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 06:10 AM

Top. Hayden kid ff to a girl and a kid got dq'd in the finals.
Posted By: jayhawkpride

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 01:26 PM

How many pounds was that kid over at 126 Friday night?
Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jayhawkpride
How many pounds was that kid over at 126 Friday night?

Yeah, what happened with Marc Reiss of Rock Creek at 126? He looked like he might make quite a bit of noise at the state tournament in Salina.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 04:55 PM

This happened to another wrestler two years ago who was guaranteed a State placing but swelled up throughout the first day of competition and could not make weight that night being DQ'd from the tournament.
Posted By: MATT-FAN

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 07:51 PM

Sorry 7lbs over its ridiculous, my thoughts along with many other people , did he actually make weight at home weigh in?
Posted By: kansasbuckeye

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 07:59 PM

Matt-fan, it was 2 pounds. Not seven.
Posted By: BrandonPigorsch

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 08:24 PM

That girl is a tough wrestler and if you want to stir up discussion on the girl vs boy and Catholic denomination subject their is another thread. She was just as upset that she did not get to wrestle that match than her opponent.
Posted By: WillyM

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 08:51 PM

Another qustion: why would a coach enter a wrestler with a 0-14 record---especially if there was the possibility of a FF against a girl wrestler. Seriouusly have to question if the coach should be allowed to continue coaching. As a simple courtesy the coach should have pulled his wrestler after seeding and before the statr of competition.
Posted By: DeMaranville

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/17/13 09:54 PM

Any coach would put a wrestler in to try and win team points no matter the record. it's not a question if he should be allowed to coach its simple any wrestler can be beat any day so you have to give your kid a chance to help the team.
Posted By: BDRan

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: WillyM
Another qustion: why would a coach enter a wrestler with a 0-14 record---especially if there was the possibility of a FF against a girl wrestler. Seriouusly have to question if the coach should be allowed to continue coaching. As a simple courtesy the coach should have pulled his wrestler after seeding and before the statr of competition.

Anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Also, if that kid has 14 losses, obviously, he's wrestled 14 matches, making that his spot and he has the right to wrestle his spot at regionals. Kudos to that young man for going and trying his best to make it to the big show!
Posted By: John Johnson

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 12:55 AM

Any wrestler who finishes the season, having cut weight, gone thru practice and survived the season, deserves to be taken to regionals if the team has a spot for them. Wrestling is a hard sport and win/loss record is not the most important thing. The important thing is the wrestler survived the season. In fact, a wrestler who has an 0-14 record, but stays out for the sport, probably deserves more respect then a state champion. If you can take that kind of beating and still stay out, you are kind of like Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke and they have my respect. No one else disparage them!!!

In regards to the weight issue, this is a Kansas problem. We allow too many allowances. I am not saying anyone cheats, its just the pound here, pound there you are allowed throughout the season. You get a pound because someone wrestled the night before, and another because someone else wrestled the night before that. Kids frequently never have too make a true weight. Also, kids do not wrestle a weight prior to Christmas, but they certify at that weight - ??? Weigh-ins should be an hour before the meet - in front of a ref like it was years ago.
Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 01:00 AM

Well saidJohn. especially the first paragraph.
Posted By: RedStorm

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 01:22 AM

Edited by John Johnson (13 minutes 54 seconds ago)
Edit Reason: grammer

Not to be "that guy" but this is pretty funny.

and I agree with your post.
Posted By: MATT-FAN

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 02:45 AM

I agree totally John weigh ins should be like they used to be at the sight of the event and 1 hr prior. I think most of us know there are some home weigh ins where some kids make weight but are not actually making weight.
Posted By: drix

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: kansasbuckeye
Matt-fan, it was 2 pounds. Not seven.

If it had only been 2 pounds a 126 pounder would be able to make weight. I know this because I'm the wrestler who received this default so I know 2 pounds can come off within the alloted time. In this case maybe he wasn't seven but you can't say he was only 2 pounds or I would have had a match.

Another note this is a sport that is focused around making weight shouldn't we all worry more about wrestling and lower the amount of weight we cut just to win. I will admit in previous years I had cut some weight, but realizing this year that when you don't cut weight you have energy and love the sport way more. I feel this sport shouldn't be pushing kids to cut weight just to win. This is just a bad influence on young kids that can cause severe injuries.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 02:52 AM

The coach did no one a favor by entering the 0-14 9th grade kid: the kid, the girl, or himself, especially if there was a possibility he would later default for non injury reasons. This and the similiar incident at the Mill Valley Regional was very very flagrant bad sportsmanship. The coach should have used some discretion---his team was not going to be a be a strong competitor, nor was his wrestler--no need to flim flam for a couple of useless points.

All that BS about training, making weight, etc was just that, BS
Posted By: usawks1

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: WillyM
The coach did no one a favor by entering the 0-14 kid: the kid, the girl, or himself, especially if there was a possibility he would later default for non injury reasons. This and the similiar incident at the Mill Valley Regional was very very bad sportsmanship. The coach should be called on the carpet!!!

I disagree completely!

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 03:09 AM

Your perogative!!!!

Posted By: Westfahl

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 03:18 AM

John, Kansas really doesn't do it any differently than many other states. Most use a very comparable system to the one used here. This is Ohio's rule book, you will notice it is nearly identical to the rules here:

"6. GROWTH ALLOWANCE / EXTRA WEIGHT
1. The OHSAA Weight Monitoring Program includes growth allowance. A two-pound growth allowance
will be given on December 25.
2. Growth allowance may not be utilized to achieve a lower minimum weight for a wrestler.
3. In order to utilize the growth allowance, a wrestler shall compete at his/her lowest allowable weight in the
desired weight class at least once prior to using the two-pound growth allowance.
4. A one pound allowance will be give the second day of a two day event.
5. With 48 hours notice, teams will be given a one pound allowance if a team in the event had a match the
day before.
6. In the event of inclement weather and a school is unable to practice the day before a scheduled contest,
each team is granted one additional pound at weigh-ins. See NFHS Rule 4-5-5 page 17 NFHS Wrestling
Rule Book."

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 03:51 AM

Sir, I don't care what the rest of the states do, you remember what your mom told you about jumping off of bridges. smirk

The point is there is a right way to do this. A fair way. A way that doesn't put kids in a spot where, even by following the rules, they have only made their regional weight a couple of times during the season.

It works, I was a terrible wrestler on a good ACCHS team in the late 70's and we made weight. No allowances.

My son is a senior and I really don't care any more, he was 1.5 under this morning. So all is good. But, weigh-ins are a problem that Kansas needs to fix.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 03:57 AM

And, Willy M, Really!!! What world do you live in???? I think your reasoning shows a total disrespect for any wrestler who has limited talent, but is still a great team member. Maybe it was the kids decision to compete. I know the Mill Valley coach and he is a class act, where do you come off disrespecting him???

I love the fact you follow the sport, but come on...give it a thought before you comment.
Posted By: KAWKS38

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 04:06 AM

I completely agree with your statement. If a wrestler is a freshmen at 0-14 and he's still going, he has a lot of heart and deserves to compete to maybe acquire his first high school career win!

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 04:20 AM

John, we actually have met a few times though I don't think you remember me much. Your point was that Kansas weight problem was Kansas own problem and I just don't agree with that point. People spend a lot of time on here ripping everything Kansas and, respectfully, I simply disagree with this particular point. I think the weight allowances are a very good thing when you factor in the growth that is taking place in these kids. I understand the logic to it, and my use of Ohio in my post was made simply to illustrate that it is not a "Kansas" thing. Quite a few thoughtful wrestling people came up with this rule nationally, and they had the best interest of the wrestlers in mind when they did it. By the way, I am a fan of your son, he has done a great job. Good luck to him this weekend.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 04:34 AM

Thanks, my intent was not to rip Kansas as a whole, sorry it it was taken this way.
Posted By: kansasbuckeye

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 04:35 AM

In Ohio, at a two day tournament. A wrestler may weigh-in the morning of the second day. That option does not exist in Kansas.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 04:38 AM

I am talking about the weight allowances for growth and competition. We actually did have second day weigh-ins until a few years ago but people didn't like that and they changed it. No matter how you do it, someone is going to not like it. Everyone has a different opinion on every issue. Likely it will someday return to the way it was, it usually does.
Posted By: Carroll

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 04:48 AM

We need to follow national weigh-in rules on site 1 hour before a dual and 2 hours for a tournament. For a 2 day tournament we should weigh-in Friday morning then again Saturday morning. It would also allow the officials to do skin checks right away.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 04:57 AM

Josh, old school is not always the best school. (don't hit me, I break). If you take the Bobcat for example and you wait until two hours before the tourney starts and try to weigh in all those kids, reshuffle the brackets for the kids that don't make weight, have a seeding meeting reflecting all of those changes, and then we would start the first day about two o'clock instead of 11:30. For tourneys of that size, it is just almost a physical impossibility to do that.

I was involved with thirty two state tourneys in my time, and I never ever understood why anyone worries about making weight for the second day. I have always thought that everyone should make weight the first day shoulder to shoulder, and then to hell with it. Let them eat, let them wrestle strong and be done with it. Why starve them all day long on the biggest baddest day of their wrestling life and have them walk out on the mat for the semi finals calorie down and in the worst possible shape to wrestle that match. I say make them make weight on Friday and make it the last time. They will never do that, but they will also never be able to come up with a valid reason why they have that second weigh in besides the obligatory "because we always have". Ok now you can hit me. By the way, good luck this weekend and I will see you at 4:00 on Sunday. Call me.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 10:22 AM

This incident happened at the Abilene regional---not at mill Valley. Different place different circumstance. Seen a lot of coaches pad the brackets with non-varsity wrestlers. Thats OK for in season tournaments---its developmental for the young wrestlers and win, lose or default, there are no other consequence. The regional tounaments, the qualifers for the State Tournament, are a different matter. Nothing really wrong with entering the 0-14 kid, except for the possibility of a later non injury default for not willing to wrestle a female. That has unnecessary consequences.

The similiar incident at Mill Valley probably denied the 18-16 SMS wrestler his trip to State--a very bad consequence. An 18-16 record in the very tough Sunflower and in Johnson County is a lot different than a 0-14 for the Hayden wrestler. The SMS wrestler was evidently much further along in his development and I assume a valid varsity class wrestler.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 10:33 AM

I like your suggestion for only one weighin--makes a whole lot of practical sense. In a two day tournament (16 bracket) do not the winners advance to the championship on the first day, weigh in the first night, ahd then eat and drink all day on the second day waiting for the championship match. Even if they have a championship semifinal match in the morning of the second day, they can then eat and drink all day before the championship match.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 11:48 AM

I like the 2nd day weigh in. Keeps kids from sucking down, ballooning up and then repeating the next week. If these kids are going to wrestle in College they are going to have to continue making weight the 2nd day. They might as well get accustomed to it now. I also think it is a disadvantage to have kids do home weigh ins the morning of a meet. Shoulder to Shoulder 1 hour before the match, just like in college. We need to prepare these kids for the next level.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 12:02 PM

haha Beeson thats what coaches are for. I bet Wayne could tell you not to wolf down and bunch of food and you would listen to him. By the way, only talking about State here. There is no next week. I brought it up one time in a coaches meeting at state. They looked at me like I had three eyes but not one coach could come up with a reason why we were doing that second weigh in except that It was the way we had always done it. It was just dogma.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 12:06 PM

Bill I am just talking about State. It is unique because it is the last rodeo, there just isn't any reason for kids to hold weight for that second day. NCAA's are the same thing. Why make anyone make another weigh in for Saturday. Let them weigh in on Thurs and Frid and then just wrestle. There isn't any competitve advantage for one kid over another because they ate one meal. I think all other tourneys should have the second weigh in but for the last one of the year? Never made sense to me.
Posted By: doug747

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 02:37 PM

Because we need to be teaching our kids how to be better wrestlers, not better weight cutters.......

I realize that "for the team" someone might have to cut weight, but I totally agree with 2nd day weigh ins, and only wish they were matside......
Posted By: D.W.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 02:46 PM

A. What Carroll said!

2. What Doug just said!

Not interested in watching a finals match 36 hours after weigh-in, where one contestant is 25+ pounds heaveir than the other (except maybe HWT).
Posted By: rcreek

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 03:31 PM

In Nebraska kids are only allowed to loose a small percentage of weight a week, based on their body fat. This prevents kids from letting their weight fluctuate much, making the art of cutting weight much healthier and safer. If a kid was supposed to weigh in at 123, based on their weight loss plan, but they weighed 125 at weigh-ins, their weight loss for next week would also be adjusted.

I know there is still the possibility that kids can balloon up, but when they are not allowed to drop large amounts of weight at a time, they tend to be more reasonable and just eat healthier to loose the 2-3 lbs that they need to for that week.

I'm a huge believer of eating healthy to cut weight, and I make my guys, regardless of weight class, eat this way. We had two kids this year that made weight and come Monday they were 12 lbs heavier. As a coach, I felt it was my responsibility, since I encourage them to cut weight, to prevent them from continuing this life hindering cycle, so I held them out of all the competitions for the following week. It never happened again and even a week after season they are still eating healthy and maintaining their weight. I know I have way less experience as a coach than most of the coaches, but I am here to make my wrestlers better for the future, teaching them to diet properly is something that EVERYONE can benefit from.
Just my 2 cents on the whole topic, but having the second weigh in limits the amount of weight that a person can cut using a crash diet, which ultimately is more beneficial to the child.

Ricky Creek

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/18/13 09:46 PM

Doug starving kids the second day of the State tourney doesn't really teach them too much. If both kids have an opportunity to eat lunch in a grueling day of wrestling and get to wrestle the semi finals with some fuel in the machine, I really don't think we are failing them that much. I am not really understanding that whole "life lesson" deal, I am talking about physiology here and the health of the wrestler. I am not talking about any other tourney, I am talking about the end of the season tourney whether it be the state or the NCAA tourney. That same day weigh in when you aren't going to make that weight again in your life is ridiculous. How much heavier do you think some of them are 20 hours later when they wrestle in the finals? We do that last weigh in because it is a ritual. There is no real reason for it.
Posted By: Little_Hughes

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac - 02/21/13 01:45 AM

Very well put Rick!
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums