Kansas Wrestling

Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS

Posted By: Doug Vander Linden

Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 12/26/18 10:38 PM

Dear Kansas Wrestling -

Looking for some information for a Kansas Wrestling Coaches Association project focused on Dual Winning Streaks in Kansas.

Over the years, we have heard stories that the honor may go to either Emporia, Coffeyville or Ark City.

We need real data! Can you help us?

Please reply to this post to share the History of our Great Sport!

Thank you!
Doug Vander Linden
Burlington Wrestling
KWCA Vice-President
Posted By: Kit Harris

Re: Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 12/26/18 11:34 PM

For some reason, 123 or so for Emporia rings a bell. Is there a banner in their gym with this on it, seems like?

Re: Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 12/27/18 01:25 AM

That is what I remember as well. Field Kindley--Coffeyville High School broke their streak and then had one of their own until Emporia broke it the following year.

I seem to remember a pretty good Ark City streak being talked about also???
Posted By: J. Storm

Re: Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 12/27/18 02:14 AM

Might not be the longest, but still impressive. Bishop Carroll had 105 straight dual wins ended in 2009??? by W. Heights.
Posted By: N. Broeckelman

Re: Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 12/27/18 03:27 PM

In our year book it shows that Great Bend beat Kapaun in the 1987-88 season ending a 123-0 win streak. May need to check with KMC but that was in our yearbook that year.

Re: Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 12/29/18 04:29 AM

Great info Nathan and Jason!

We are following up on: Emporia, Coffeyville, Ark City, Bishop Carroll and Kapaun.

Others please share information that you know about and can be verified by news media or the schools themselves.

Thanks!
Doug
Posted By: Wrestlin Scholar

Re: Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 12/31/18 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Vander Linden
Great info Nathan and Jason!

We are following up on: Emporia, Coffeyville, Ark City, Bishop Carroll and Kapaun.

Others please share information that you know about and can be verified by news media or the schools themselves.

Thanks!
Doug

I found this blurb in the Leavenworth Times. It doesn't say how many exactly but does have details on the match.

In 1978, the wrestling team defeated Emporia 26-16. This was the first dual loss for Emporia since 1965 — well over a 100-dual match win streak was snapped by the Pioneers. Some key wrestlers were Paul Purcell, Darrell Nichols, Gary Horton, Randy Engle, Mike Deal and Sid Abramowitz, heavyweight. Coach of the team was Gary Rosso.
Posted By: objective

Re: Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 01/01/19 07:47 PM

Prior to I think 1971 the limit was 10 days competition of which 2 could be tournaments and the other 8 single duals with one team only. I think in 1971 it was changed to allow 3 tournaments but still limited to 10 dates with no double duals. The limit may have increased around 1977
Posted By: Black Machine

Re: Longest High School Wrestling Dual Streaks in KS - 01/10/19 06:49 PM

Beloit had a streak in that 80's dynasty run. Wanna say 120 some straight dual wins until Lincoln ended it against Beloit's JV squad that counted as a varsity dual. Yes I said JV. SMH! Perhaps the HC at Beloit could tell you the exact number.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums