Kansas Wrestling

tips for a freshman

Posted By: WRESTLINWONDER4

tips for a freshman - 03/22/04 02:06 AM

Okay - all you high school guys have finished your season. Time to reflect. I will be a freshman next year. What is the top three things I need to be doing to get ready to wrestle in high school? Plus how much weight will I be expected to pull if any?
Posted By: rocknraider

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/22/04 02:15 AM

1. Wrestle in the off season.
2. Lift weights ridiciously hard.
3. Conditioning hard 2-3 months before the season starts.
Posted By: Baseball81

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/22/04 02:18 AM

get yourself mentally ready for tough matches
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/22/04 03:54 AM

I don't know what weight you plan on being at but #2 is important. Lifting weights is huge...if you have to get a training partner to go through the pains with you. Work on things that will work your lower body like lunges, squats, and such so you build up leg power for your shots. Also bench press is overrated for wrestling, you do a lot of pulling to set up moves....do weighted rows, ripcords, bicep curls and things like that.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/22/04 07:13 PM

id say the one thing that can replace lack of strength great conditioning and MAT TIME...whether it be from practice or an offseason wrestling meet. U probably shouldve been doing kids wrestling earlier this month.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/22/04 08:22 PM

stretch a lot...keep limber, get in something like karate...or believe it or not dance to stay flexible, many people have been succesful with the added limberness.
Posted By: Dingbat

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 03:29 PM

Go to cadet/junior freestyle and greco nationals (do both styles!). Even if you go 0-2, that mat experience is priceless. I wrestled at freestyle nationals (22 mats on the floor) before state (9 mats). After fs/greco, high school state seemed like small potatoes. Then I won the first of my state titles.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 03:30 PM

Also, if you're not on it already, join the football team. Wrestling makes you a better football player, and vice versa.
Posted By: JhrisCennings

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 03:41 PM

Eat a lot of food and go up to 215. That is the most excellent weight class of all time.
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 04:16 PM

1) Eat a lot of food.
2) Practice your funny jokes.
3) Buy a lot of briefs.
4) Wedgie yourself. Pretty soon you'll develop an immunity to the pain.
5) Attend Fitness Week, do nothing but squats.
6) Play football.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 04:45 PM

7) Don't get purple wrestling shoes.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 04:50 PM

8) Unless they're free, in which case you rock those mofos for all they're worth. ($0)

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 05:20 PM

9) Under NO circumstances accept free purple shoes. They were free for a reason. They're trash.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 06:51 PM

10) Never listen to Jhris. He never knows what he is talking about.
11) Read the book "How to be Cool" by Prant Garker.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 07:10 PM

12) Prant was once dumped by a guy. True story.
Posted By: LancerM

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 08:15 PM

That wasn't a rule Jhris, just a statement. That means rule number twelve is still available to be made.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 08:37 PM

Prant-
All i have to say is anyone who has purple shoes is cool in my book. For i am an owner of gold shoes and our strange colored shoes r a dying breed. Keep the dream alive my fellow hue shoe brother.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 09:37 PM

12) Don't get dumped by a guy when you're dating a girl.

Better LancerM?
Posted By: LancerM

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/23/04 09:46 PM

Perfect.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 02:00 AM

Thank you.
Posted By: Tity Boi

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 02:05 AM

don't do anything until wrestling season starts and just work ur anal region off and u'll be good

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 02:40 AM

13. Don't kiss a girl on the teeth.
14. Wear a cup if you have someone on your team named Matt who likes to uppercut jimmy sacks.
15. Embrace the swirlie.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 02:41 AM

16. No matter what your loins tell you, ignore the urge to let everyone know that you think the Taco Bell man is cute.
Posted By: n4cer_jr

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 03:34 AM

i would have to disagree with dingbat you should run cross country, that will get you in much better shape than football with and whenever you get into shape for anything you need a base so when wrestling season starts you will ahve that base cause you ran cross country.
Posted By: RHS152

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 04:06 AM

17. i say, be lazy during the season, drink as much pop and eat as many twinkies as possible. then turn all that fat into muscle
Posted By: RHS152

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 04:08 AM

be lazy during the off season that is
Posted By: Jason A. Ross

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 12:47 PM

18. Do not eat a snickers bar for energy directly before a match. You will puke.

Exception: If you are incredibly out of shape, eat a snickers bar right before your match. Puking will give you time to catch your breath.
Posted By: Jason A. Ross

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 12:48 PM

19. Bite your lip or slam your nose in the ground for blood time.

Note: Rule 18 exception and Rule 19 are only valid for freshman and weaklings.

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 02:46 PM

20. If on bottom and you haven't been able to do anything neutral or on top and you are getting pounded...grab your opponets wrists and try to force their hands together to get a locked hands call...get enough and win by DQ!

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 06:40 PM

21. If u know ur opponent is a beast before hand at a dual, this is what u do: 6 hrs before the match, gulp down some lemon flavored liquid laxatives. Sit anxiously and eat food. When the dual begins and ur wrestling the stud, u will crap urself, get DQed and be able to walk away w/ some dignity. I cant tell u how many times i did that in high school.
Posted By: lol@u

Re: tips for a freshman - 03/24/04 07:59 PM

rules for freshman

1 learn to bob and weave (to aviod getting smacked by the upperclass.
2 make friends with the managers (unless they are ugly).
3 do not volunteer first. always let someone one else get embarassed.
4 rent vision quest dont return it and memorize every line.
5 stay quiet (it is better to remain silent and look like a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt).
6 WORK YOUR $$$ OFF EVERY DAY AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums