Kansas Wrestling

Most improved wrestler?

Posted By: kswrestling85

Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 04:28 PM

Who was the most improved senior wrestler this year from the time they started as a freshman to the end of this year?
Posted By: Campus Colts Number 1

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 04:45 PM

I think Mark Zavala from Campus has improved a lot since the beginning of the year.
Posted By: JhrisCennings

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 05:16 PM

Okay, I'm going to argue in favor of myself here. As a freshman, I was 5-4 on JV the ENTIRE year. I was soooo bad, it was crazy. I'm not good now, but my improvement was pretty sweet. I also would have lost to Prant freshman year, and as we all know, now I could pin him.
Posted By: Dingbat

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 06:04 PM

How about May D Ayes? Didn't compete as a freshman. Began the sport as a sophomore, wrestled 1/2 the season. JV junior year. Senior year, 30-5, 5th at state. He gets my vote.

Jhris, you got 4th last year. you're not even on the ballot.
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 06:06 PM

I think Jhris is very deserving!
Posted By: RJW

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 06:29 PM

We have a kid that didn't reach the level that Jhris as far as second at state but has to be one of the most improved wrestlers.

Theo Kleinsorge has been a huge improvement over the last four years. He went out for wrestling for the very first time in his life his freshman year and went about 1-15 on J.V. with his one win coming at the last J.V. tourney. His Soph. year, he won about 3 matches or so.

Through hard work and being super coachable, Theo was a state qualifier as a junior and this year was one match from placing at State as a senior. He ended his senior year with over 20 wins and lost a very close match at State to just miss a medal.

Theo is a great kid that will be going to West Point or to the Air Force Academy next year. He is a great student (4.0 I think) and was a joy to coach. He is with-out-a-doubt one of the most coachable athletes that I have ever coached and that is one of the reasons he improved so much.
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 07:24 PM

Jhris, how dare you get on here and post such libelous remarks. You could not pin me now, nor ever. If Pathan Nayne, a 3x state champ, could not pin me, I hardly think you can. I am stronger than you. And prettier. And I stall a lot.

Isn't there some guy from BC who started wrestling his freshman year and won state?
Posted By: bjohn

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 07:44 PM

I would have to say both Jris and AD stepped it up big time this year. However, Jris would get the vote because he shot take downs.
Posted By: LancerM

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 08:44 PM

Well, if we're arguing for ourselves...I started wrestling my freshman year and I was 3-26 at 160 on fifth string. That's right, I wasn't even JV or C team, I was freaking fifth string, and I still only won three out of twenty nine matches. From that I placed fifth this year at 215 and I feel I could have placed higher but I ended up losing to two kids I'd already pinned earlier in the year, one of which I ended up beating at a later round in state.

I may not have won state but I think I made a ton of improvement.
Posted By: fris kitzgerald

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 09:08 PM

I know that i'll get made fun of for saying that i should be considered for one of the best improved but those that knew me would agree
Freshamn year i was jv c team all year long and had a pretty bad year but i did letter by luck of a tournament then sophomore year same thing i was jv then i wrestled varsity the last 3 weeks and didn't do good at all. then this year i was varsity all year except for one tournament and i qualifyed for state and missed placing by a close 6-7 decesion. So i've considered myself

p.s I went 0-15 in freestyle

p.p.s oh and in 7th grade when i first started i was 1-15
Posted By: Brett Shoffner

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 09:23 PM

Well, if we're here to boost our self-esteems...

171 Freshman Year...Junior High Only

182.5 in freestyle The hella fatness. Any cadet teammates remember the finger exercises?? (Coaches Harris/Fergola??)

152 15-17 Soph year, didn't qualify for state.

Same year I actually worked and won Freestyle State at 160.

152 Junior year, 2nd

Then I get hurt

Now I'm fat again and can't walk right...
Posted By: RHS152

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/04/04 09:47 PM

I wrestle for remington and my freshman year i was at 135 and went like 4-16, and this year i wrestled 152 as a sophmore and went 22-11, and alot of those were injuries cause i have a messed up ankle and i couldnt barely walk
Posted By: NOT TOO BAD

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/05/04 12:29 AM

fris, your still a fish. I would have to put Nathan Retta on that list. He went from being an ok wrestler and never placing at state. To make it to the state finals and wrestle a 3-1 match with a 2x state champ.
Posted By: cblood

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/05/04 01:57 AM

The Baker twins from Blue Valley definetly get my vote. One a state champ, the other a runner up to Baldridge. I dont believe they have been wrestling that long either.
Posted By: rocknraider

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/05/04 02:26 AM

I was pretty bad myself gents. I had never wrestled til my freshmen yr.

-Fresh: 112lbs, I had a losing record(12-15) on JV and didnt even place at JV League.
-Soph: 112lbs, I actually decided not to wrestle the fall before wrestling season. I didnt think i was any good and decided to concentrate on football(hahaha, im such a moron!!). Rios convinces me half way through the wrestling season to go out for the team and I went a mediocre 8-10 on varsity. Didnt qualify for state.
-Junior: 119lbs, Decided to come out for the ENTIRE yr this time and went a disappointing 14-18 for the yr and got beat out by Matt Miller(I hate SME) to go to state.
-Senior: 119lbs, Made a huuuuge improvement. Going to East Kansas practices made me a billion times better. I qualified for state and became a state placer(6th). Had 30 wins for the season.
Posted By: mstovall

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/05/04 04:33 PM

I'm on my coaches name but here's my history (I started as a freshman)

Jake Johnston:

Freshman year- 8-10 on C-team
Sophomore year- 18-18 on Varsity (didn't go to state)
Junior year- 31-14 went to state, missed placing by one match
This Year- 33-3 took 2nd in state at 152# in 5A (not to take anything away from Langhover but I beat him at regionals)
Posted By: norman

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/06/04 04:58 PM

Rick,

Thanks for giving Mr. Kleinsorgeeeeee's story. My son decided three days into practice to go out for wrestling. Quite frankly, he dropped my socks because he has shown a propensity towards doing anything with sports, lest of all wrestling. He was eons behind the rest of the team. His older brother who wrestled here at Abilene told him do only for yourself. Don't do it for me or his sister, cause that seemed to be some of the motivation. He went out and proceeded to count every ceiling tile in every gym he wrestled in.

However, he lost nearly 30 lbs., has gained confidence and now is willing to let Kirk Gable, Kid's Fed Coach and past state qualifer to work with him in the off season. He is showing the will to work off season in his conditioning. He might go to Trego, Montana to the Eternal Warrior Wrestling Camp. If not this year, the next.

I showed him your post and that seemed to encourage him. Thanks again for posting about Theo. Great encouragement! We need to hear more stories like that.

Stan

P.S. Interested in Eternal Warrior Camp? Go to Google.com and type in Eternal Warrior Wrestling. It has pretty impressive staff.
Posted By: norman

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/06/04 05:00 PM

Rick,

Should say, has "not" shown a propensity.

Sorry.

Stan
Posted By: nclayton

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/06/04 09:21 PM

Kenny Aubrey
Freshman - Wrestled JV
Sophomore - Wrestled varsity, qualified for state
JR - State Champ

I would say he has improved quite a bit.
Posted By: iFeelFat

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/06/04 10:06 PM

i get my own vote.

9th- 4th at state
10th- 4th at state
11th- 4th at state
Posted By: RocketFreshmen

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/08/04 12:36 AM

I beat Kenny Aubrey at Prairie View in the semi's and didn't even make it to state in 4A. 6A 135 isn't that tough.
Posted By: MFF DVR 07

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/08/04 12:47 AM

I want to go with Aubrey from sms, and i also agree w/ cblood on the baker twins they had a great season.

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/09/04 02:46 AM

Aaron Hynick-
Kenny always wrestles better second time around, i think he could beat you if u guys matched up again. He had to beat 2x state medalist, Phillip Craig, to win state.

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/09/04 02:56 AM

So what you're saying, rocknraider, is that this Kenny Aubrey fellow took notes from the theme song of the TV show, "Step by Step?"

If we could all learn from Step by Step like this guy, the world would be a better place.

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/09/04 04:38 AM

I learned to make chocolate milk by taking a swig of 2%, a squirt of chocolate sauce, and violently shaking my cranium like a Parkinsons patient on crystal meth.

(ride the snake)
Posted By: kswrestling85

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/09/04 06:47 AM

You are retarded

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/09/04 12:00 PM

So's your mama
Posted By: BlueJay Pride

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/10/04 12:39 AM

Scott Goldsby from Norton improvied alot didnt even make it to state last year and made it this year and was in the state finials. But did lose to 4 time state champion Matt Gilland from Hoxie. so i think Goldsby from Norton is a good on.
Or Simon Orasco from Ellsworth he is pretty good to He is dang good he gave james annon from norton a run for his money in the state finials. so he is pretty good to.
Brett Keck from Oberlin who got 6th last year and got second this year and almost won it this year but came up a little short and got second

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/10/04 12:44 AM

I could agree with Goldsby.
Posted By: ABartels

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/10/04 02:41 AM

Hynick your lucky i my elbow was broken or you wouldn't even got a chance to touch Aubrey, sorry bud. Plus i was watching that match and you got a lucky break in the end. I bet Aubrey would work you 9/10 times that you wrestled.
Posted By: Computerized Shoes

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/10/04 02:46 AM

Aaron Hynick: I agree with you that 6A isn't tough... I beat Sullivan from Goddard pretty handily this year and he ended up being state Champ, whereas I went 1-2 in 4A.
Posted By: Computerized Shoes

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/10/04 02:50 AM

My fellow teammate beat the 5A 152 state champ three weeks before state and he went 1-2 in 4A as well.
Posted By: Realtor12

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/10/04 06:17 AM

Sometimes when the heat is turned up the Champs rise to the top. And those who may have shined on another day can only sit and make excuses why they didn't shine on the day that mattered.
Losing to Adam at Goddard, and Jake Johnston at regionals are part of the reason that Shawn is a state champion. YOU MUST LEARN HOW TO WIN AND LOOSE WITH THE SAME DIGNITY.
Thanks to all those wrestlers who WHOOPED him into shape. I take nothing away from any of you.

Proud dad of the 152 5a state champ.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/10/04 06:26 AM

How about Salina South's Hwt? Nobody ever heard of him on the mat...then voila 2nd place in state. his only losi get my own vote.

Quote:
i get my own vote.

9th- 4th at state
10th- 4th at state
11th- 4th at state
Woo Hoo....he's going for the coveted 4 x 4!
Posted By: iFeelFat

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/12/04 06:15 PM

hell ya

and computerized shoes, are you from abiline? you sure do bitch alot.
Posted By: Pups4Ever

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/12/04 07:43 PM

How about Casey Finlayson from Burlington? Now, I know most of you are probably saying "WHO?" But last year, he didn't even qualify for 4a state (and we know that Nigel would call it a "weak" 4a regional because Abilene wasn't involved with it) but this year, he placed 5th in 3-2-1a. I personally think that's quite an improvement.
Posted By: P. Pitbull's Old Dog

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/12/04 07:53 PM

heck Shoffner you never walked right to begin with. But you were still fun to watch.
Posted By: Ryan Jilka

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/13/04 12:44 AM

Nice try C.Shoes. While you are a very good wrestler, you need to drop the "I beat Sullivan, therefore 4A is tougher" line. We had a guy not qualify for state that beat one of your qualifiers. Your qualifier barely lost to a 4 timer. Is that supposed to mean our guy would have beat Jake? I doubt it.

We can all get on here and use one win here and one loss there to say we're the best, but it is weak. Sullivan put it together when it counted. Congrats to him on finally seeing a life of hard work pay off. He was focused like never before and I couldn't be more proud of his accomplishment.

Why doesn't the weekend last forever???
Ryan Jilka
Posted By: Light Em Up

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/13/04 02:23 AM

Kale Katt deserves some recognition, the man has never wrestled in his life, and his senior year, he earns a spot on the Scott City roster, not only does he make it to state in a tough weight class, but he goes 2-2, with 2 pins, now, if thats not good, after never wrestling before in your life, i dunno what is
Posted By: coltswrestler152

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/13/04 02:54 PM

coach jilka is completely right, just because a wrestler has a bad day every now and then it doesnt mean that another guy is better. The best wrestlers are the ones that never have bad days when it really matters. No one will ever remember that a state champ got beat earlier in the year,

Congratulations jerry on finally achieving the goals that i know me and you have both had since we were little kids, im glad i could achieve mine with you.
shawn langhover

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/13/04 04:21 PM

Sweazy, you are incorrect. If you will look at some older posts, you will see that SS's heavyweigth beat me in the eighth grade Eisenhower/SSMS/Roosevelt-Lincoln triangular at the 134 weight class. That shows you his skills were highly developed at an early age.
Posted By: JhrisCennings

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/13/04 06:37 PM

Yes, that guy was good at the Kids level for many years. He just decided not to wrestle in high school, from what Pietrya;hgooy85-hoy;aoj told me, their 189 pounder.
Posted By: stawrestler1

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/14/04 11:42 PM

i would like to just say, rockandraider does not get my vote for most inproved wrestler.i would vote for aubry from sms.
-skat

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/16/04 04:04 AM

stawrestler1-
Who thy be?? Are you one of those darn dirty sultani's?
Posted By: Brett Shoffner

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/16/04 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by P. Pitbull's Old Dog:
heck Shoffner you never walked right to begin with. But you were still fun to watch.
Thanks Coach P!

Hey, are you gonna be at EKS or at Miege this spring/summer?
Posted By: Kit Harris

Re: Most improved wrestler? - 03/16/04 06:30 PM

Shoff and his finger exercises....what a funny day! Actually, I think it's those finger workouts that made you, Shoff. Your welcome!

I will add a vote to Shoff as most improved, in three years (FR to JR) he came a long way and accomplished a lot. He went anywhere and everywhere to wrestle, and competed year around. He worked real hard for his success and deserved it. I was excited to see him in the finals his junior year for that very reason! It was unfortunate to see his senior year end with the injury. Good luck in college Brett.

Coach Harris
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums