Kansas Wrestling

any disappointments at regionals?

Posted By: Wrestling Isn't fun

any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:20 AM

What were some disappointments at any regionals? Who were some shockers at regionals?
Posted By: Marbla

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:22 AM

i was pretty disappointed in my performance. oh well, i'll just have to work a little harder next weekend.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 06:24 AM

I think Abilene regional had it's share of disappointments...the one that hits home for me is Chapman having 11 guys make it to day 2...only to qualify 2 guys!
Posted By: Coachjt

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 06:54 AM

112 4A
#1 seed Carrillo - out
#2 seed Hamilton - out
Posted By: metcalf

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 02:53 PM

Sharp knock both of them out.
Posted By: RHS152

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 03:05 PM

baumgartle of west elk was 1 seed and got beat in the semis. and i was teh 3 seed and beat hartley of chase county number 2 seed.
Posted By: Cudd

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 03:34 PM

Who'd Baumgartel get beat by?
Posted By: Computerized Shoes

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 03:37 PM

I was a disappointment
Posted By: Mike Holliday

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 04:03 PM

The 145 pound weight class at Hoisington was a major disappointment...two guys with losing records in the finals??? As a whole, the Hoisington Regional was weak. They've got to do a better job of splitting it up...lots of good kids from Norton didnt qualify.

Another disappointment was injuried to good wrestlers state wide. Jason Schippers made it through 145 at Norton, but how will he do at State. Burke Ruder was hurt at 119 for TMP; Spencer Burns was out at 145 for Cimarron; Lakin had a good 71 pounder that wasnt there; the Hilt kid from St. Francis was hurt; Brady Esterl from Beloit didnt wrestle. Lots of good kids not even wrestling at Regions. I'm sure there's more injured kids or kids in trouble state-wide.
Posted By: bswitz171

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 04:53 PM

Sweazy what happened to Weller? I thought he would be in the finals for sure. Who beat him?
Posted By: bswitz171

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:02 PM

I totally disagree with that, I think they do a great job. All officials officiate different and there is always going to be calls that you don't totally agree with but they have a tough job.
Posted By: jmadden

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:03 PM

I did see some horrid officiating. When people from lots of schools not involved in the matches talk about it, you know its bad.
Posted By: psychosteve

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:11 PM

Our coach always says if you need to rely on an official to win a match for you, you don't deserve to win. Thats how I feel about the officiating this past weekend.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:13 PM

LaMar (silver lake) vs. Graves (rossville)
...that's one match i can think of where it was the refs fault, the match should have been over after 6 minutes.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:16 PM

Graves SHOULD have won in an upset over LaMar
Posted By: RHS152

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:31 PM

Baumgartle got beat by the Leon-Bluestem kid i dunno his name tho.
Posted By: Dingbat

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 05:41 PM

I'm pretty sure officials DO get paid...and not nearly enough to put up with the crap they get.
Posted By: Wrestler47

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 06:04 PM

For everyone unhappy with the officiating. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that none of you've never officiated in your life. I, personally, have just started officiating after wrestling my entire life, and it it suprising how difficult it it. So unless you've officiated before I wouldn't complain
Posted By: chewie

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 06:07 PM

Weller from Chapman got beat by Boyer in the Semi's and Olsen in the Conso Semi's.
Posted By: SEK Man

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 06:13 PM

I agree, their job is tough enough without all the officials in the stands. Our regional, Coffeyville, only had 3 officials and ran 3 mats all day Friday, those guys had to be beat and one ref, I heard, had been in the hospital during the week with a cracked rib and he sucked it up. I congratuate all refs as human.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 06:24 PM

Chapman had some freshman do well, with Irvine and Arveson...but they both got beat in close matches. Arveson to the 130lb SFT guy, and Irvine to the 152 Colby guy.
Posted By: jmadden

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 07:26 PM

Why only 3. Some had 5 with 2 mats.
Posted By: Pups4Ever

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mike manning:
The 145 pound weight class at Hoisington was a major disappointment...two guys with losing records in the finals??? As a whole, the Hoisington Regional was weak. They've got to do a better job of splitting it up...lots of good kids from Norton didnt qualify.
Ok, just get over it. Yeah, the Norton regional was pretty tough, but if someone can't place at their regional, they wouldn't place at state. Period. End of story.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 07:32 PM

steinmetz171

Your coach is a very educated man. Seems like everyone else blames their losses on the refs instead of lack of preparation or other miscellaneous crap.
Posted By: The Boss

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 08:15 PM

"Ok, just get over it. Yeah, the Norton regional was pretty tough, but if someone can't place at their regional, they wouldn't place at state. Period. End of story."

pups4ever --you are brillant as stating the obvious, and over looking it at the same time. Obviously, if a wrestler doesn't qualify at a regional they can't place at state. The point is that there are wrestlers who got beat out at Norton who would have not only placed in your regional but who would have wrestled for the championship. Your wimpy regional was about as tough as most jv tournaments in NW Kansas.
Posted By: Les Brown

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 08:21 PM

Why did Belleville's Chance Mitchell not wrestle at the Norton Regional?

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 08:30 PM

I heard he got kicked off the team.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 08:41 PM

Dear Mr. Boss: My school is 4a this year, I wasn't defending any 3-2-1a tournament. I'm tired of people complaining about how tough their regional is. If you can't place in the top 4 of a tournament with 18 schools, you won't place in the top 6 in a 60-team tournament!

I agree that some regionals are horrendously easy. The Hesston 3-2-1a regional is a prime example. However, if you're good, you'll place at your regional and then place at state. Worry about how good you will wrestle at state, not who else qualified and who else didn't qualify.
Posted By: Hovpen

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pups4ever:
Dear Mr. Boss: My school is 4a this year, I wasn't defending any 3-2-1a tournament. I'm tired of people complaining about how tough their regional is. If you can't place in the top 4 of a tournament with 18 schools, you won't place in the top 6 in a 60-team tournament!
Wanna bet Pups.
Posted By: BLUTARSKY

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 09:31 PM

I think the point to all this is that the best wrestlers in the state are not going to be at State. The top four placers from each regional are not necessarily the best wrestlers in the state.

After spectating at the "wild wild west show" at Norton, I believe that the consolation semi-final losers in 8 of the 14 weights at Norton would have medaled at Hoisington, 10 of 14 at Easton and and 12 of 14 at Hesston.

Also, I belive it is possible that there were some wrestlers who were eliminated at Norton who could have placed in state.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hovpen:
Wanna bet Pups.
How can you prove it?
Posted By: A. C. Tomanek

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 10:10 PM

I will agree that the Norton and Hoisington regionals should have been divided up better. HOWEVER, I must say that because my team was put in the Hoisinton regional, we got 4th, so I won't complain. Had we been at Norton, I don't know if we would have done as well or not, since a lot of teams there had defeated us this season. But it's in the past, can't fix that, and now we just have state to look forward to before next season.
Posted By: Computerized Shoes

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 10:19 PM

I will agree that the Hoisington regional at 145 was INCREDIBLY weak because I suck and tech falled and/or pinned both the finalists without breakin a sweat.
Posted By: ABartels

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/22/04 10:39 PM

Disappointed, yes but what can you do now except make yourself better for next year. If your a senior like me than forget about it. Things don't always work out even if you worked your butt off this year or for the past 7 years in my case. Just don't sit around and dwell about the past it only makes things worst. But what if??? Thats a stupid phrase because its will never be a reality.
Posted By: powell140

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 01:02 AM

Cudd where are you from?
Posted By: whest177

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 02:40 AM

pups4ever: can you educate me why the Hesston regional was pud? I was there and saw some excellent matches. I saw some upsets, saw many tough wrestlers who earned my respect with their skill, strength, and dignity. I have watched the 275, 171, and 152 guys all season and I guarantee these guys aren't pud.
Posted By: weatherhead 112

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 02:43 AM

just wait and see how many people place from the norton regional compared to the other regionals. And if it ain't that bad than you can talk sh**
Posted By: wrestlingref

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 02:54 AM

as a ref all I can say if you think you can do a better job under those situations then put the strips on....... And as far as why the number of refs per site that is all up to the state, they send us where they would like us to go.
Posted By: lutker

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 03:57 AM

yea the number i seed carrillo didnt make it i thought he was goin to win it

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 03:59 AM

OK, I have come to a startling conclusion. This will rank right up there with the "Cancer is serious" revelation and the revelation that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Are you ready for this:

Life isn't fair!

Every high school student in the state that weighs under 275 lbs. has a chance to place at the state tournament. If their regional is tough, well then they should toughen up for it. Sure, some kids with bad records qualified, but they have the same chance to place at state that all other wrestlers do, wheather their regional was in Norton, Coffeyville, or Kaupan Mt. Carmel.
Posted By: Hovpen

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 04:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Wanna bet Pups.
How can you prove it?
Probably not to your satisfaction, I've just seen it for 20 years, especially in track.
Kind of like in your eyes Caney softball is No. 1, but has yet to compete with the CTL teams in 4A.
Posted By: Mr. Perez

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 04:35 AM

I was at Leavenworth, and I wanted to check up on the rules on weighins. There was a young man how did not make weight at first when he went with his weight class. He was given the chance to leave the room and use the restroom or something of that nature.
If I remember right, that at weighins you are not allowed to leave the room or do anything until all weights have been called, then you must weighin again. If you do not make weight you are not allowed to wrestle. If I am worong please correct me , but if I am not why was it allowed!
Posted By: Wrestling Isn't fun

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 04:50 AM

because stone cold said so!
Posted By: smnwrestler2004

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 04:59 AM

yea, i remember that, i think they were in my weight class, i don't remember who it was, but they didn't place, so it's not that big of deal. my coach told me the same thing, because when i left our school i was .1 over. they shouldn't have let them go, but it's not like he snuck off. one of the guys was like can somebody show this kid were the restroom is. so maybe it's not a rule anymore, ??? one bad thing though about the weigh in that i disliked is that they did not have a check scale, i hate that.
Posted By: Mr. Perez

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 05:08 AM

No, this kid placed. Not only did he place but he won this regional.
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Perez:
I was at Leavenworth, and I wanted to check up on the rules on weighins. There was a young man how did not make weight at first when he went with his weight class. He was given the chance to leave the room and use the restroom or something of that nature.
If I remember right, that at weighins you are not allowed to leave the room or do anything until all weights have been called, then you must weighin again. If you do not make weight you are not allowed to wrestle. If I am worong please correct me , but if I am not why was it allowed!
Last I knew, the National rule regarding weigh-ins is what you have stated. Kansas did not adopt that particular rule. We still allow kids to go run, use the restroom, etc for the time period that is allowed for the weigh-in. There are detractors for this but also supporters for this. I personally beleive this is the best for the kids, as long as their coaches and parents aren't allowing them to cut too much weight. If we followed the National rule, kids would be losing even more weight, just to make sure they are under.
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 05:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Wanna bet Pups.
How can you prove it?
This may not "prove it" but it would be pretty convincing evidence. Count this weekend how many #1 seeds from Hoisington, Easton, and Hesston get beat by #4 seeds from Norton in the 1st round. Also, count how many #4 seeds from Norton place. If they can place, there is a good probability that there were others who didn't qualify that could have placed.

Case in point, myself in 1996. I was a Junior with a pretty good record (around 25 wins and about 10-15 losses). I had gotten beat by the eventual State-runner up the week before by 1 point at league. I lost a close match in regionals, and had to wrestler a 2x state champ in the CONSOLATION FINALS!! He beat me by about 4 points. I may not have placed but I would have come real close. The next year when I did qualify I took second.

There are kids sitting at home right now who could placed at state this weekend. There are many weights were 4 placers will be from the norton regional, and I would wager that there will be at least one weight where the TOP 4 wrestlers are from the Norton regional. It happens almost every year.

Its not fair, but there is no use whining about it now. A solution needs to be found to fix the problem. And yes it is a problem.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 06:47 AM

Ok, let's assume that the Norton kids who place in the top 4 at the regional take the top 4 at state. State only places 6 people. You're telling me that you think that there aren't 2 people (besides, obviously, the top 4 at that regional) from over 200 schools that make up 3-2-1a who couldn't beat the two kids who are sitting at home? I really find that hard to believe.

The Norton regional was tough, no doubt about it. But who's to say that in 10 years, people won't be complaining about how easy the Norton regional is and how tough the Hosington regional is?

Heh, your story reminds me of the Fredonia tournament my senior year (2003). I pinned a Fredonia kid in the first match then had Daniel Petroski (who was ranked in 4a and is a heck of a tough wrestler) in the second round, which was fair enough, I thought. Needless to say, I lost that match (I really was never that great). The first round of consolation, I had a kid from Fredonia (they allowed unattached wrestlers at this tournament). I pinned him then in the freakin' SECOND ROUND OF CONSOLATION, I had to face Blake Zimmerman from Eureka (eventual 3rd placer in 3-2-1a). Then, what really made me sick: after Blake beat me (by a score of 15-3, I never gave up!), he had to leave the tournament with an injury and the kid who I had beat the week before (Galvan from West Elk) injury-defaulted and 5-match-ruled his way to a thrid place medal.

Was I upset? A little, but that just goes back to my theory:

Life isn't fair

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 06:50 AM

Oh yes, and I didn't hear anyone complaining last year about how tough the El Dorado regional was in 103. 3 out of the top 4 placers there were 3 out of the top 4 placers at State. The 4th place medalist (Freisberg from Caney Valley) pinned a regional champion in the first round at state.

Again:

Life isn't fair

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 07:08 AM

Team wise you can finish outside the top 4 and still win it all...didn't Abilene take 5th in Regionals last year and then win it all at state?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 04:02 PM

Pups: Yes, I think that the 5th and 6th place kids could be sitting at home because they were in tough regionals. You, being from SE 321A regional land, don't know much about tough regionals. Eureka placed 1 kid at the Phillipsburg tournament on Feb. 7th. They won their regional and are taking 7 or 8 to state.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 04:03 PM

Pups: Yes, I think that the 5th and 6th place kids could be sitting at home because they were in tough regionals. You, being from SE 321A regional land, don't know much about tough regionals. Eureka placed 1 kid at the Phillipsburg tournament on Feb. 7th. They won their regional and are taking 7 or 8 to state.
Posted By: Big Daddy

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 04:04 PM

coachtwink- very well said. And yes there are some boys sitting at home from the NT regional that would have placed 5th or 6th at state. I know of at least 2 wrestlers that are not going that beat the No. 1 finisher from another regional. As far as the argument of who is to say in 10 years people might be complaining about the NT regional being the weakest nobody can see into the future. However for the past 30 years the regional with the most NW teams has been the toughest so why would that change?
Posted By: ms

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 04:34 PM

Yes another disappointment was levi eddie
suffering a severe concusion which keeps him out.
Posted By: wrestler8675309

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 08:08 PM

140 from plainville...adam meyers...tough kid...excellent wrestler.....didnt make it his senior year this year because of an unforgiving norton regional
Posted By: G. Mann

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 08:46 PM

See below for the "fallout" from the Norton Regional! Look at the state qualifiers, ranked wrestlers, 20+ winning records not getting to go to the show--a flippant "deal with it" or "life is tough" does not even begin to account for the injustice done to these kids. The worst record qualifying from Norton was a .500 record.

Not Qualifying from Norton Regional

103:
Zach Ceman-Pb 20-14

112:
Rayson Brachtenbach-Hc 14-6

119:
Jonathan Richards-Ob 18-11

125:
Jason Calhoon-Pb 17-15
2003 State Qualifier

130:
Denton Bailey-Ob 14-3
Jordan Gienger-St.F 21-11

135:
Marcus Abell-Minn 21-4

140:
Justin Hackerott-Os 15-6
(2003 State Qualifier)
Adam Meyers-PV 20-12
ranked 6th in State

145:
Jamie Smith-Minn 21-7
ranked 6th in State.
Trey Hilt-St. F 25-4
Catlin Zahorsky-PV 18-13
2003 State Qualifier
Austin Argabright-At
2003 State Qualifier
Jake Nichols-SC 20-8
Cody Breon-Pb 22-10

152:
Gabe Smull-St. F 19-6
2003 State Qual. Ranked 5th
Tanner Long-HC 23-5
2003 State Qual. Ranked 3rd
Jeff Doering-Min 20-3
Tom Kriley-SC 20-9

160:
C.J. Thiele-Nt 20-8

171:
Lance Underhill-HC 18-5
Tyler Brungardt-PV 20-13
Jeff Samson-At
2003 State Qualifier

189:
Erik Larson-LN 23-2
2003 State Qual. Ranked 5th
Nick Keller-St. F 23-9
Shane Donovan-Minn. 19-6
Dustin Spears-Os 15-9

215:
Gabe Walz-St. F 20-9
Ranked 5th
Derek Vonda-SV 23-2
Clayton Holsinger-Pb 27-6

275:
Adam Rorabaugh-SC 23-8
Ranked 4th
Anthony Johnson-Minn 21-10

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pizzaboy:
I know quite a bit about tough regionals. Caney has been 4a for the past 4 years and the Coffeyville regional was definately one of the toughest this year, and the one at El Dorado last year wasn't exactly easy.

I know that the Hesston regional wasn't too tough and I commented on that (scroll up a little bit).

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 09:06 PM

Quote:
Kind of like in your eyes Caney softball is No. 1, but has yet to compete with the CTL teams in 4A.
Caney should have been 3a last year (we miscounted by about 15 students and were still the smallest 4a in the state), and they would have won 3a state. Rose Hill didn't beat them too badly. I know the softball team has trouble competing in 4a, but you have to consider the size difference in the schools. Then again, I'm not whining, every team has a chance to win the state tournament in softball (see signature)
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 09:11 PM

pups,
That wouldn't give me a lot of confidence in my educators if they can't count!
Posted By: ybsmall

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 09:48 PM

We had several kids with 20+ wins and no one qualified for state. We were at Norton. Disappointed doesn't come close to how it feels.
Posted By: G. Mann

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 09:55 PM

pups4ever--Coffeyville wasn't Abilene, either.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/23/04 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sportsfan02:
pups,
That wouldn't give me a lot of confidence in my educators if they can't count!
Well, to say I'm upset at the Caney school board and administration right now would be an understatement. I am not a fan of the superintendant or the school boards decision to renew her contract for 3 more years. Excuse me...

*runs outside and curses and screams at top of lungs*

*Ahem* anyway, I really could care less about 3a or 4a, they are making some dumb decisions (cutting Cross Country and JR. HIGH WRESTLING did not garner support from me and the new principal is a dumbarse from what my sister and her friends tell me). That mixed with hiring a wrestling coach who knew nothing about wrestling (and even said he didn't want to coach wrestling, to which they said "if you want a job teaching, you'll coach wrestling!"). He's a great guy and all, but it's just... ARRRGH....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
Posted By: Mike Church Sr.

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/24/04 09:58 PM

I'm still putout about all regionals!! Who dare scedule regionals on the same day my cousin was married. I'm not missing state for any reason.!!
Posted By: hobbes21

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/26/04 12:50 AM

Back to the original question:
Our disappointments were our 103, 130, and 275 lbers b/c their 2nd match, most were put up against a "fresh" unwrestled 1st seed, which knocked them down to conso. and risked chance of qualifying. Luckily we're taking 10, but those 3 could have helped a lot too.
Posted By: bigkneepads#4

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/26/04 02:28 AM

the reccords and rankings from those beat out at norton are amazing reguardless of what pups4ever says there are wrestlers
at 140, 145, 152, 160, 189, 215, and 275 that deffinitly had legitimate chances of placing at state had they wrestled at differnt regionls there are juniors and seniors that are not going to state for the first time in their highschool careers thanks to tough regionals

"life isnt fair" is alot accept as a reason for not making it to state when your team attends a regional that is not even close to the toughest regional in your class

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/26/04 03:21 AM

2003 4a final state results:
1)Abilene 113.0

2)Columbus 100.0

2)Goodland 100.0

4)Clay Center Comm 89.0

5)Mulvane 76.5

2 out of the top 5 were from the El Dorado regional. Maybe it wasn't the toughest, but it wasn't a creampuff regional like you're making it out to be.
Posted By: LHSwrestler56

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/27/04 03:45 AM

hey i agree with pups theroy about the easy reginals..if u can't place in the top 4 at a regional tournament how do u expect to place in the top 6 at state.
Posted By: ofan

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/27/04 03:57 AM

Well put, if you get beat out at regionals you might be just saving yourself from another week of cutting weight.
Posted By: Lucas Baker

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/27/04 04:13 AM

I think it is safe to say that Abilene Had a real tough Reginal this year

Abilene
Goodland
Clay Center
Santa Fe Trail
Colby

Yet i have not heard anyone complain about it
I thinks these five teams will end up in the top 7
I guess we will see sat night

GOOD LUCK ABILENE
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: any disappointments at regionals? - 02/27/04 04:20 AM

That's right, Mr. Baker. I haven't heard Igel Nisom complain about anything. Nope. Not one thing.

Naaaaaah, just kidding. Go Taplin. He's a ma-ohn.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums