Kansas Wrestling

Rough weekend for KS wrestling

Posted By: gutwrench1

Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/30/06 10:44 PM

It was time for the annual pounding that KS wrestling takes from out of state teams. On the same weekend that Ponderosa whipped nationally ranked Goddard, Oak Park got 9 champs at Baldwin including Brent Haynes at 171. Haynes, just a soph, beat OSU bound Erisman and may not even be the best 171 in Kansas City. He was beaten by Bowman from Blue Springs a couple of weeks ago.
My point? Wrestling in the surrounding states is tougher.
Posted By: in it to win it

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/30/06 10:52 PM

Every dog has their day.

Neil is a fine wrestler...he's not near made it to his potential which will be exciting to watch in the years to come...who says you have to "peak when your a Sr.?"

A good match is anybody's game.
Not making excuses but good wrestling is good wrestling.
High fives to both of those wrestlers & anyone that wrestles Neil tough.

----
Posted By: wrestlingfan65

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/30/06 11:02 PM

GutWrench, you are so amazingly negative. Nothing to come out of your mouth is good. And we invited the toughest teams from the other states to come in. Also Kansas wrestling is way better than colorado wrestling which is almost a joke. Finally we have been taking in the top 10 in the nation at nationals for the last several years, and have many wrestlers wrestling at the D-1 level. So although we did not have the best weekend, we are still pretty good.

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/30/06 11:23 PM

There's Beast, Ironman and Dapper Dan...None of the nation's top 50 are in Kansas and no Kansas schools in those top 50 tournaments. Just want you to know where your at.

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/30/06 11:33 PM

AMATEUR WRESTLING NEWS PREP 40

Jan 30 , 2006

by Bob Preusse

1. Blair Academy N.J.

2. St. Edward Ohio

3. Carl Sandburg Ill.

4. Upper Perkiomen Pa.

5. Great Bridge Va.

6. Christiansburg Va.

7. Oak Park Mo.

8. St. Paris Graham Ohio

9. Cincinnati Moeller Ohio

10. Montini Ill.

11. Jackson Memorial N.J.

12. Nazareth Pa.

13. Reynolds Pa.

14. Chicago St. Rita Ill.

15. Providence Catholic Ill.

16. St. Michael Minn.

17. Glenbard North Ill.

18. Paulsboro N.J.

19. Easton Pa.

20. Poway Calif.

21. Don Bosco Iowa

22. Pemberville Eastwood Ohio

23. Oviedo Fla.

24. Brandon Fla.

25. Alamosa Colo.

26. Fort Zumwalt West Mo.

27. Anoka Minn.

28. Albert Lea Minn.

29. Caesar Rodney Del.

30. S. Plainfield N.J.

31. Sidney Mont.

32. Hartland Mich.

33. Southern N.J.

34. Goddard Kans.

35. Apple Valley Minn.

36. Hastings Minn.

37. Wisconsin Rapids Wisc.

38. Kalispell Mont.

39. Buchanan Calif.

40. St. Mark Del.

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/30/06 11:36 PM

YOU GOT TO GO HARDER! AND YOU GOT TO GET BETTER!
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/30/06 11:42 PM

Buttwench--

According to that poll, Missouri has 2 teams in the top 40 and Colorado has 1. Oklahoma and Nebraska both have 0.

Therefore, by your logic, Missouri is the only neighboring state that is tougher. Colorado and Kansas are equally difficult, and we're better than both Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Chew on that.

Oh, and "Just want to know where your at" was a quote from you....Well--I want you to know where you're at...a fourth grade reading level.

Swish.

And if you want to "let us know where we're at," where are YOU at? Do you have special honors you want to brag about? What state do you call home? Of what state are you so proud?

Please enlighten us, or continue being a sissy.

Sincerely,
Kansas Wrestling

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:01 AM

Prantapuss, you might know all about sissies.

Ponderosa is not even the one ranked Colorado team and they whipped our only ranked team. Norton, winners of the much talked about TOC lost to Kearney NEBRASKA 36 Norton 32. Kearney finished 9th in Nebraska last year.

Prantapuss, you and your Kansas brothers....

GOT TO GO HARDER AND YOU GOT TO GET BETTER!
Posted By: Campus130

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:03 AM

Hmm does his report not show Goddard at #34, I thougt he said Kansas has no one ranked or did I mis something.

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:10 AM

If you were a man from Manhattan, you'd be wrestling at Hofstra right now instead of applying your witty banter on this site. It's pathetic. Rather than bragging about your kin embarassing our esteemed President and embarassing this proud, religious and conservative state we'd be reading about you in Salyer's Kansans Wrestling in College thread. Now, do this community some good, man. Push away from the keyboard. Buy some wrestling shoes and beg the Hofstra coach to let you into the room. That way he can see how strong and verile wrestling in Kansas really is.
Posted By: vikes

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:11 AM

gut wrench is just a guy that never won anything in highschool, so he hides behind the computer to bash people to make himself feel better. bullies are always the ones seeking attention because they have no friends and are not happy with themselves. He is just trying to make himself appear tough so that he can tell himself at night that he actually amounted to something in life....reminds me of the guy that came to college boasting that he was a 3 time state champ when in fact he never made varsity.

by the way, this is a highschool wrestling board, not some trash message board somewhere out there in lala land. let me guess...you wrestled jv for oak park...better yet i bet you were the team manager for blue springs.......

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:12 AM

virile, sorry mister spelling B winner

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:14 AM

and now I suspect you're going to tell me it's a spelling bee.
Prant, YOU GOT TO GO HARDER AND YOU GOT TO GET BETTER!!!

You go to college to wrestle man, forget about the grades.

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:18 AM

vikes, you got it baby. you need to channel that pyschobabble into something meaningful like working on cold cases.
Posted By: mom4

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:19 AM

gutwrench.....
please stop. You are only embarrassing yourself.

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:23 AM

Campus, did you land on your head in practice?

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:26 AM

Okay, Mom. I'll go to my room.
Posted By: chewbacca

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 12:28 AM

poor Prant will just have to fall back on his degree from Hofstra. i mean, how will he ever find a job with that?
Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 01:52 AM

Mr. Gutwrench, why can't you ever point out the positive aspects coming out of the Kansas wrestling community? You're such a negative person, it's almost bringing me down.
Posted By: jumpin jack flash

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 02:06 AM

mom4,

Please do not tell gutwrench1 to stop. I am getting a kick out of this cat getting on here and showing his stupidity!!! I love it. And for you people that he is offending please consider the source.
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
If this is truly the point of view you have, I hope you are not currently working with any of Kansas's young wrestlers. College is about the grades- which I am sure Prant is doing fine with. Not everyone is blessed with the ability that would be needed to wrestle in college, certainly not Prant , but that is fine. He worked hard and probably maxed his potential just by qualifying for state. It takes all kinds gut, we here in Kansas are not just trying to train national champs- we are trying to develop good student athletes who by the way are pretty darned good wrestlers as well. I hope that those young people reading this keep their priorities straight. Grades first, then if you are fortunate enough, wrestling.
Posted By: NurseKs

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 02:59 AM

Seems to me...a bunch of Kansas kids went to Gunnison Colorado last summer and kicked some butt. Kansas Flatlanders.
Posted By: NurseKs

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 03:37 AM

Could have went by the name Kansas Hicks...I do not recall but they took the dual tournament.
Posted By: gjt2008

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 03:39 AM

Kansas wrestling is decent....not great though. Why argue with trying to get better? Sounds like none of you can take some constructive criticism.
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 03:44 AM

gutwrench--

You still haven't answered the question--from what state do you come? The great Missouri? Oklahoma? Colorado? Nebraska?

Please fill us in, sir.

And no--I'm not good enough to wrestle at Hofstra. Apparently, no one from states surrounding Kansas is, either.

And neither were you.
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gjt2008:
Kansas wrestling is decent....not great though. Why argue with trying to get better? Sounds like none of you can take some constructive criticism.
Constructive criticism requires that the criticism also includes meaningful suggestions on which to improve. I have not found any of that on this post, unless you count:

Quote:
Posted By: TIME2G0

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 04:10 AM

this is quite entertaining...
Posted By: Campus130

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 04:13 AM

gutwrench1 get off the boards, you do not need to trash talk the community. I ask the moderators to keep him off here. I do not believe that we need the bad influence to pass on to our outstanding wrestlers that are reaching for a higher goal in life.
Posted By: Mr. Happy

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 04:22 AM

I hear they have homes for sale in all the states that border kansas, maybe gutstench should call the realestate agent so he can watch a higher caliber of wrestling. Take a little bit of that negative energy and stupidity with him, it's kind getting old.
Posted By: billy_mcjackson_ripjc

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 05:08 AM

Kale, you're so cool. Let's hang out.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 05:51 AM

Quote:
There's Beast, Ironman and Dapper Dan...None of the nation's top 50 are in Kansas and no Kansas schools in those top 50 tournaments. Just want you to know where your at.
I just want you to know that we aren't in Texas where you are and we have stricter rules per the KSHSAA on travel. Most of these tournaments in question are way out of the boundaries of the maximum travel destination. Keep talking the smack with you and your teammate Chunk, but don't get mad at Kansas for your team not having upper weight studs.

Also for the record...Erisman would eat you for a dessert.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Quote:
I just want you to know that we aren't in Texas where you are and we have stricter rules per the KSHSAA on travel. Most of these tournaments in question are way out of the boundaries of the maximum travel destination. Keep talking the smack with you and your teammate Chunk, but don't get mad at Kansas for your team not having upper weight studs.

Also for the record...Erisman would eat you for a dessert.
Wait a minute! After all this time, you are telling us that gutstench is from Tejas? It makes perfect sense. All I can say is bwahahahahahahah.
Posted By: Bracket-man

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 03:15 PM

Ouch...I resemble that remark!
Posted By: Shelstin

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 03:51 PM

Texas wrestling is much better than it was even a few years ago. And remember, Amarillo Tascosa takes claim to an Olympic Champion now. I believe that KSHSAA does take an unrealistic approach occasionally by not allowing a Kansas school to travel more than 150 miles out side of the borders unless competition cannot be found any other way. At the GC tournament, Parker Ponderosa (Denver area) had already competed in the Iron Man and Reno tournaments. Some of their kids with 5 or 6 losses were studs. I really hate to agree with gutwrench on this, but I honestly believe that for Kansas' best kids to compete on a national level, they have to compete nationally. Thats a simple statement, but it's the truth. That, and one of our major colleges has to add a wrestling program to keep our best kids home. We could compete very well of we got the best that Kansas has to offer to stay home.
Posted By: Bracket-man

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 03:52 PM

Not all Texans (consider myself a transplanted Kansan) share Gutwrench' views and value system. Would offer that credentials do not equal credibility and being a character does not equate to having character. And, most importantly, your education is your future. Prant Garker is an excellent example of what is best about Kansas wrestling and we should all be very proud of his accomplishments. Whether you agree or disagree, there is life after athletics.
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 04:33 PM

Hard to believe that someone really thinks that wrestling is more important than education. I've got news for you. There really isn't any life after college wrestling unless you are ultra talented. No offense to Mr. Garker, but I don't think he would have fit into that category. The only thing left after college wrestling, is Olympics, Worlds, and Real Pro Wrestling. Less than 1 percent off all wrestlers across the US are good enough to compete at this level, not just Kansans.

Case in point, if a wrestler decides to pursue a education rather than continue a wrestling career, then there is nothing wrong with that.
Posted By: I'm your huckleberry

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 04:39 PM

As per usual Mr Wrench has turn off his logic switch. Two Ks tourneys invited two very good programs from outside the state and they won the tournaments. Wow big surprise. As one who lives on the Colorado Border I can tell you that in most cases Kansas wrestling is better than Colorado. St Francis competes with many CO schools 2 or 3 times their size ( and many of these schools are ranked in the top 5 in their class) and beats or competes with these schools. If Sainty had been 30 miles west they would have been Colorado state Champions at least 5 of the last 10 years maybe more. They would be 1a in Colorado which is much easier than 321a Kansas.
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 04:46 PM

Shelstin has good points but I would like to see ourbest wrestlers wrestler for the program we have in kansas now and make them power houses. I know alot do and that is great but we have 4 year colleges trying to put it in and if they would become national championship material then maybe our bigger 4 year would consider it a good thing. With the likes of Newman adding it I would love to see the best of kansas all wrestling together to make a championship run

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 07:40 PM

I hope that no one felt that I was inferring that wrestling should take precedence over education. To be honest, wrestling scholarships are minimal compared to other scholarship sports. They have to be split so many ways in order to get enough kids in the room to be competitive, and most colleges must depend upon other scholarships, grants, and loans to help their program.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 01/31/06 07:49 PM

Shelstein,

You mention 150 miles? Isn't the rule a 500 mile rule?
Posted By: the claw

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/01/06 02:20 AM

yeah no kidding and you said that no ks teams are in the top 50...But as Campus130 already pointed out you put in your own post that goddard is at # 34...first of all you need to get your facts strait...and also it is not sportsman like to bash ks wrestling....so as mom4 said," stop because you are imbarrassing yourself"...because its pointless..

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/01/06 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Shelstein,

You mention 150 miles? Isn't the rule a 500 mile rule?
To be honest, I don't know what it is now. Liberal has traveled as far away as Cheyenne Wyoming recently for a football game, and Ulysses went to Farmington, NM, about ten years or so ago for a game. I tried to go to AZ for a tournament back in the early 90's, but we were not able to go because it was the same weekend as several tournaments here in Kansas, and we were already in Hays. We could have gone 150 miles east of KC, and it would have been about the same distance for us. Didn't make much sense at the time. I have never heard of a 500 mile rule. Out here in the western part of the state, people consider a five hour trip normal...
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/01/06 05:11 AM

I believe it is a 500 miles rule....
Posted By: Mike R.

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/01/06 06:16 AM

Haynes lost to Bowman in double overtime, but beat him in a duel this last week. I would say the young man had quite a week topped by his victory over Erisman. He is number one at 171, according to the rankings 1/31/06.Brent has had the advantage of a lot of top notch compitition. Oak Park wrestles Oklahoma, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas etc.He is a fine wrestler and I have no doubt that he will join Neil in the Div I ranks.I watched him move up to 189 on Metro Sports against El Reno Oklahoma, and he WBF Consider he wrestled at 145 his freshman year, and took third in the State Tourney. His loss was to the State Champion and in their match he had him on his back. Brent is a product of one of the best wrestling programs in the country. Brent is just now gettting recognition, but it was just a matter of time. Neil will rise to the level of his compitition, and succeed at the highest level. He should not hang his head over his loss to Brent.
Posted By: 24/7

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/01/06 04:11 PM

It must be 500 miles for travel. I know Blue Valley NW goes to Albuquerque, NM every year for a tournament right before christmas. That would be beyond the 150 travel limit you are talking about, but they go every year. From the corner of KS to Albuquerque is 350 miles.

24/7
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/03/06 04:53 PM

Posted By: mamasawn

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/03/06 05:25 PM

I am not sure about this, but I believe the rule is 150 miles, but it is from the Kansas border as Shelstin stated. So if a KC school goes west, the milage starts from the western KS. border. Someone help me if I'm wrong. Albuquerque is more than 150 miles from KC but not the western border.
Posted By: mamasawn

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/03/06 05:37 PM

I would also like to say I don't know whether gutwrech is right or not, just not sure what he thinks Kansas coaches should do about it. Many Kansas teams go out of state to wrestle in surrounding states to see tough competition. The tougher tournaments in Kansas (Derby, Newton, Basehor, Garden City, Ark City, Colby duals, Beloit, Baldwin, etc.) all envite good out of state competition to come in and compete. If Kansas is not as good as other states I don't think its because coaches are running from out of state competion.
Posted By: MAS

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/03/06 08:08 PM

2005-2006 KSHSAA Handbook
Article XIV Sections 2 states:
" If out-of-State schools are invited, only those within 500 road miles of the border (perimeter) of the state of Kansas may be included in their application."

In the case of an out-of-state event " If KSHSAA member school are invited, only those withing 500 road miles of the border (perimeter) of the state of Kansas may be accepted."
Posted By: JC Norman

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/04/06 06:34 AM

As a wrestler from Kansas (Abilene '00), coaching in Texas I see both sides. One thing that could be a contributing factor in some states better performance is the freedom of teams to practice and travel as they please. The team I work with had mandatory practice in september and regularly travels out of state.
I think that Kansas wrestling doing so well with so many constraints is a testament to its athletes, coaches, and boosters. I also miss the community that is unique to Kansas wrestling. Even though I am in Texas, I am very proud to have Kansas-USAW roots!

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/05/06 03:24 AM

Ok, KS wrestling fans. You know I love to ruffle your jayhawk feathers.

first up, Mr. Garker---do you understand how stupid it is to say "swish" on a wrestling forum?

Now, let me get this right. Oak Park/MO is good because they travel to Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. But, Kansas also has good teams even though most don't travel. The top reasons for not traveling are: 1) KS hs coaches are married to oppressive women 2) KSHSAA hates to see Kansas wrestlers showcasing their talents in other states 3)ks coaches show their loyalties by staying in the tournaments they're already in. 4) all of the above.

P.S. All my exs may be from Texas but I hang my hat in Kansas. KS---YOU GOT TO GO HARDER AND YOU GOT TO GET BETTER!
Posted By: jumpin jack flash

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/05/06 02:49 PM

gutwrench1,

You're killing me with your comments on here sister, you don't only belittle Kansas wrestlers, but now you come on here and belittle the wives of Kansas coaches as well as the KSHSAA. Believe you need a self esteem check!!! And how does the old saying go, "the only things that come out of Texas are steers and queers and I don't see no horns on you".
Posted By: vikes

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/05/06 03:13 PM

Miss gutwrench just needs a friend.....can you say attention????? feel sorry for her
Posted By: bigsteve

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/06/06 04:01 AM

Havent there been plenty of Wrestlers to win or Place at High School National Touranments the past 2 or so years? I know i can name a few that have placed and won nationals.
Posted By: TIME2G0

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/06/06 04:15 AM

Miss gutwrench, you need help and it's ok.

Abused Women's Aid in Crisis (AWAIC)
AWAIC Official Site
Posted By: CoachDeYoe

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 02/07/06 03:54 AM

You could field a pretty good team with the D1 kids that are currently coming from Kansas.

a short list:
Austin DeVoe (Missouri)
Tyler McCormick (Missouri)
Chris McCormick (Missouri)
Shawn Bunch (Edinborough)
Tanner Gardner (Stanford)
Earl Jones (UCO), DII
Joe Johnston (Iowa)
Eric Leudke (Iowa)
Jacob Klein (Nebraska)
Justin Dyer (Oklahoma)
Ian Bork (Stanford)
Josh Carrol (Apalachian State)

...and there are many others that I haven't mentioned. I think that Kansas does an alright job producing quality wrestlers without travelling all over the world on our minimal budgets. There are very few schools that have the budget and the program combined to travel to tournaments that aren't going to do much more than cause a kid to miss more school than he/she already would because of this sport.

I think that the current system has little to do with coaches or athletes will to compete and travel. This will be the second time I've gone to High School Nationals, and I've coached at Fargo. I have no problem making those trips because coaches did it for me when I was competing. I put in what the sport has given me, and I think the majority of KS coaches and wrestlers do the same.
Posted By: bobdox

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 03/06/06 09:06 PM

Cole Garcia of Colby Kansas
Posted By: Wrestlin

Re: Rough weekend for KS wrestling - 03/06/06 09:28 PM

I'm not sure why people even respond to gutwrench. Is responding to the things that he says worth the time and effort? He doesn't promote good wrestling conversation and rarely has anything good to say about Kansas Wrestling.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums