Kansas Wrestling

Any upsets yet???

Posted By: TeddyBallgame

Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 12:03 AM

Does anyone have any upsets to report from day 1 of regional action?
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 12:25 AM

I think an upset came in the 119 match at Concordia regionals with Scott Nelson of Chapman beating Donny Davidson of Abilene 9-2. Nelson was 19-12 entering the tournament.

Also all the brackets except 160 are updated for Concordia, don't know what is going on yet
Posted By: abuhu0704

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 01:33 AM

Sholin from Council Grove pinned Bartlett from Atchison at 160 in Concordia.
Posted By: someoldguy

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 02:31 AM

Sweazy...you have to refresh your browser within each bracket. Took me a while to figure it out!
Posted By: Michael Malay

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 03:09 AM

Scott Jewell beat toothaker in double ot.and i guess this isnt an upset cuase there about the same skill of wrestlers but Olson beat mann

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 03:48 AM

someoldguy,

I kept trying it earlier and it wasn't working. As for upset, I don't know how you guys feel about it but Buhler being in 3rd after day one at the Colby Regional is a shock and a half to me!
Posted By: VS Vike coach

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 03:53 AM

Bartlett will be back --- he beat Rush from Clay earlier and they should meet tomorrow in consolation semis

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 02:09 PM

Sholin from Council Grove might be grossly underrated, him and Irvine of Chapman have had 1 point contests twice on the year with Irvine winning both. A banged up Irvine though could be a break for Sholin to finally beat him!

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 03:49 PM

I know Sholin is a good wrestler. His upset was not a big upset. He is a kid who has worked extremely hard and deserves to go to state. There will defenitely be some good wrestlers left at home in his weight class at Con. I also believe Sholin has wrestled Irvine only once this year. Of his 10 losses he has lost to Taplin 3 times, Irvine, Utley from Onaga once, Pigorsch from Herington, Mellies of Silver Lake, Eden once (3-2) and a couple of others. He has lost to good wrestlers.

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 04:04 PM

It's a bit scarey that Sholin will face Irvine who right now is at best 70%

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 04:49 PM

Sweazy, how about Concordia being in 2nd place 3 brackets into the semi's this morning...that'll surprise the hell out anyone~=!

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 04:49 PM

dang double posts

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 05:20 PM

Although Unlikely, it is still possible for Sholin to upset Eden in the semi's. He lost 3-2 earlier this year to him.
Posted By: Marbla

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 05:29 PM

I had a dream that Baldridge lost...

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 06:09 PM

How about Chapman in 5th right now! Hopefully that will last with a top 5 finish at regionals. Also must tip my hat to the coaches who seeded the Con regional so far it looks like 1 v. 2 in every final thus far.

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 06:20 PM

Upset from the Onaga regional:

#2 seed Chelsea Arnhold loses to Hope's Kate Hicks 7-2 in the 1st round of regionals. Hicks entered the tournament with an 8-14 record while Arnhold was 15-6.

Good chance the two gals could meet up in the consolation finals, Chelsea has to win 2 in a row and Hicks just one to advance to state.

Lucas Hicks is also in the finals for Hope ensuring a state qualifier for Hope.

Onaga regional looks to have quite a few upsets already.
Posted By: TeddyBallgame

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/19/05 07:27 PM

At the Fredonia regional @ 275#, Vandermate from Fredonia (4-5 record) beat the Brubaker from Eureka with a pin at 1:30 in the semis. Brubaker entered as the #1 seed with 24-9 record.

If Halstead & Sedgwick didn't have to split @ regionals, they would be leading with 92 points.

Has there been any discussion @ the state level to let schools remain together @ regionals & state? I'm sure ther's pro & cons but I would like to se them be able to.
Posted By: luv2Cwrestling

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 01:16 AM

Aldon Isenberg - Gardner fresman - beat Keaton Baker at the Paola 5A Regionals tonight.
Posted By: bubbagump

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 01:19 AM

Logan Dreiling was upset today first by Stroot of Andale and then by Hershey of Hugoton!
Posted By: CoachDeYoe

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 01:23 AM

I heard one of the Baker boys lost in the finals in their regional, but haven't seen the bracket and I cannot remember to whom. But from what I've seen of the Baker brothers this year at the JoCo Classic and the Bobcat Classic.... them losing is an upset.

Best luck at State guys.
Posted By: CoachDeYoe

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 01:57 AM

Paola Regional....

125 LBS
1. Isenberg, Aldon 35 wins 4 losses 9 Gardner-Edgerton
2. Baker, Keaton 38 wins 1 loss 12 Blue Valley
3. Koehn, Derek 29 wins 12 losses 10 Pittsburg
4. VanTrece, Skip 24 wins 10 losses 9 Paola

I'll still call it an upset, but I think that Isenberg has been extremely impressive this year as well.
Posted By: jerkness

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 03:44 AM

ya i (noah brubaker) choked at regionals and ended up w/ 4th.
Posted By: jb83

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 04:25 AM

Scott Miller from Oberlin pinned Spencer Burns of Cimmaron (32-0) in the simifinals at the Trego regional.
Posted By: southerncomfort

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 04:34 AM

4A hwy Rittinghouse Bonner pins Kimzey Prairie View
Wiggans FS pins Jones Bishop Ward

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 05:27 AM

Can't believe Dreiling the #1 guy at 130 is out! Rittinghouse over Kimzey isn't a shock.
Posted By: justsomewrestler

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 05:37 AM

Isaac Wall Got Beat in the finals at the rose hill regional
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 05:50 AM

Aaron you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it, I was outside talking to my parents after I made it into the finals, and I heard the match being called as I walked out of the gym and I almost stayed to watch it but figured I wouldn't miss much besides a very close defensive match by Dreiling (I'm not saying anything's wrong with it, it's just how he wrestles) and I went outside for about 3 minutes and then was walking in a teammate of mine ran up to me and asked me if I knew what happened, and I said no....then I was told of the upset, this is the backside match I'm talking about, but needless to say that's how the story ended....

From what I was told....the match was being kinda a flury in the 2nd period and Dreiling did something and Hershey caught him in a headlock, that's the best recap I can provide perhaps someone else can give a better one

Alex
Posted By: lil_sharpe_007

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 06:39 PM

if u ask me it was a pretty quick pin when heshey got logan onto his back...logan should have won that match

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 06:43 PM

Either way you look at it, it was probably one of the biggest upsets of the year, if not the biggest so far, makes the race for the state title that more wide open, should be anybody's game now

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 09:32 PM

Yea I saw that Wall got beat and then I'm like, man he's going to take it out on his firt opponent at state, so I decided to see who the lucky guy was and low and behold I said enough words to make a sailor blush.

1st round of state Wall v. Scott Nelson of Chapman!

More like the unluck of the Irish.
Posted By: justsomewrestler

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/20/05 10:19 PM

i dont know i think wall should have went into over time there was a controversial 2 point question at the very end i think wall had the 2 and they would have been into overtime then it woulda been a different story but i think that the other guy deserved it more.
Posted By: mawcoach

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/21/05 02:15 AM

So far as Wall being beaten, he was. Carillo simply wrestled a better match than Wall and capatilized on a mistake by Wall. The call was correct at the end of the third period. Carillo deserved the win.
Posted By: Ulysses112

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/21/05 03:45 AM

with dreilings match i think that the pin was somewhat quick but that ref was consistent too. he called alot of quick pins this weekend. I think dreiling shouldn't have gotten lazy because he was going on coast when he got pinned.

Re: Any upsets yet??? - 02/21/05 03:51 AM

In the match i wrestled against him he got up early 2-0 on me and coasted the rest of the way as most good wrestlers do, he didn't try anything that could put him in danger, smart on his part, but it works most of the time but when a kid wants it bad enough he'll make you commit to things you don't want too, this being the case

Alex
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums