McClure over Madl 21-12
Koelling over Bailes 11-7
Erisman over Bowman 7-3
Henson over Kellerman 6-2
Stewart over Brewer 13-3
Strawn over Barnett 6-5
Born over Rose 8-0
Bowen over Thompson 4-2 (OT)

This is all the information I got from Swayz...

On a side note...

Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
Hurla, I'll tell you what. You're a salty one to stand up to me and you have the chance to prove me wrong. If you beat Graham or your team comes within 10 points of Mo then March 8 will be my farewell post. Until then someone has to be the voice of reason.
Since we got both correct, what do we get? You to leave AND tell us who you are?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hulse:
My wise room mate is correct. I am also tired of hearing these missouri kids always telling us how great they are. And the only come back I have for them is, "at least we have good roads."
They are the Metro what? Eastern Kansas beat the all mighty Metro-Area of Missouri. What is the world coming too? No big ups to the Metro-KS team for winning
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:35 AM

It's nuts...I don't think the Kansas Hwt was the best from the area either...maybe 3rd best! Also we had Sharp a 4a Qualifier (didn't place) beat a 3rd place guy from Missouri!

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:37 AM

Koelling over Bailes(k) 11-7; Erisman over Bowman 7-3; henson over kellerman(k) 6-2; Stewart(k) over brewer 13-3; strawn over barnett 6-5
Born(k) over rose 8-0; bowen(k) over thompson 4-2 ot
Posted By: TEAM USA JUDOKA

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:38 AM

Shumate didn't wrestle.
Posted By: bighead

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:40 AM

Any last words Ol' Gut?
Posted By: TIME2G0

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:45 AM

Bye-bye gutwrench1. If he lives up to his word then he'll probably just say his farewell and then go make a knew name.(gutwrench2?)
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:57 AM

First of all congratulations to the kids and coaches from both teams. I wish the dual results were tight every year but that is not always the case. Next I wonder what it is like with foot, 2 feet and two hands in mouth - I won't mention by name who I am talking about. Andy Hurla wins and Kansas wins by 2. There is nothing better than seeing those kids put a good tight waist, power half, take down, win some scrambles and battle to the end - Ah yes Kansas kids in the end did not get out worked or out coached today. Enjoy the reading - you know who you are and we do not care that you are gone. Should we let what's his name post just one more time and apologize. I don't think so. Keep working Kansas Wrestlers we can improve everyday and be proud of your accomplishments.

Fact Right Now: Kansas City Metro Classic Results 2006

Kansas 27 - Missouri 25

Coach McCarthy
Posted By: resslnfan

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:06 AM

Fantastic! Way to go Team Kansas Metro. Wonder if gut will congratulate himself for motivating you guys (or did he)?
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:10 AM

In the correct format, for easy reading...

112lbs- Kyle Caswell (37-9),MO WBD,Larry Perez (38-2) 8-4;
119lbs- Jacob Nay (42-7),MO WBMD Kenneth Livengood (43-2) 9-1;
125lbs- Mitchell Bainbridge (40-5),MO WBMD over Jeff Furguson(RNA) 16-5;
125lbs- Josh Sharp (25-6),KS WBMD Jacob Gaston (51-8) 15-6;
130lbs- Tyler Madl (27-6),KS WBD Cody Miller (26-6) 9-4;
135lbs- Andy Hurla (31-3),KS WBD Eric Graham (33-0) 5-4;
140lbs- Brian Graham (43-1),MO WBMD Sean Flynn (40-2) 9-1;
145lbs- Brian McClure (42-0),MO WBMD over Hunter Madl (39-8) 21-12;
152lbs- Matt Koelling (39-10),MO WBD over Matt Bailes (25-5) 11-7;
160lbs- Neil Erisman (46-1),KS WBD Jeff Bowman (55-2) 7-3
171lbs- Joe Henson (35-7),MO WBD Nolan Kellerman (21-0) 6-2;
171lbs- Jimmy Stewart (31-2),KS WBMD Chris Brewer (39-6) 13-3;
189lbs- Jesse Strawn (44-0),KS WBD Mitch Barnett (34-7) 6-5;
215lbs- Caleb Born (38-2),KS WBMD Jon Ott (54-4) 8-0;
275lbs- Levi Bowen (28-2),KS WBD Levi Thompson(22-6) 4-2 (OT)

Kansas 27 Missouri 25
Posted By: 1on1

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:20 AM

Jeff Ferguson was in place for Shumate
Posted By: TEAM USA JUDOKA

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:23 AM

what happin to Nick Shumate did he get hurt or some thing.
Posted By: andyhurla

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:24 AM

Bowen said we would win and we did! Good Job Bowen, and everyone else that wrestled with me! We had one week to prepare, and we weren't supposed to win, but we had some fun and busted our butts! Go Kansas!
Posted By: 1on1

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:27 AM

Shumate got sick
Posted By: Bracket-man

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:41 AM

To Gutwrench AKA Rectal Jackhammer...

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, hey hey hey...Goodbye!
Posted By: usawks1

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:43 AM

What a night! I just got home and am still on cloud nine!! I don't recall the last time, if ever, this dual has come down to the heavyweight match. The crowd on both sides were on their feet, the Kansan's chanting ... let's go Bowen, let's go Bowen ... and lo and behold ... Bowen comes through.

I will have a story about the event that I will complete tomorrow. I'm a bit tired tonight and wore slick from all the excitement!
Posted By: Walter Johnson

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 05:56 AM

Congrats to Kansas on their dual victory.

One critique I would offer is the Graham/Hurla match. There was a clasping call on Graham that simply did not exist. Please watch the replay on Metro Sports this Friday. I'm not saying Graham would have won, but w/o the phantom clasp, the match goes to OT. Graham controlled the match but got sloppy at the end & wound up on his back for about a 3 count; totally out of character for him.

Also, the refs should have penalized Madl for his obvious slam of Miller in the 130 match. I talked to Winnetonka's coach after the match & Coach Knapp told me that Miller thought he might have blacked out after the slam, complete with a shoulder to the abdomen. How Miller avoided being pinned is beyond me, but he wrestled bravely & finished the match. I know his midsection will be sore for a few days.

But all in all, great matches, lots of excitement and awesome that the dual came down to an OT match at HWT. Too bad Mallonee didn't wrestle; I gotta think the results would have been a bit different.

Now if I could just figure out how Ft. Scott, Topeka & Holton are in the KC metro area (and Cameron for that matter!). Maybe next year kids from Dodge City & Hannibal can qualify. . .
Posted By: Marbla

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 06:00 AM

SAMUAL CLEMENS(MARK TWAIN) VS. BILLY THE KID!!
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 06:07 AM

Where is gutwrench when you need him?

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 06:20 AM

Walter, Walter, Walter Johnson I noticed this is your first post on this forum. Is this just a accident? I think if you watch the replay you'll see a few other missed calls.
Posted By: wrestlingfan65

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 07:32 AM

I havent been around a computer all day and i just got on, but thats amazing. God im glad gutwrench is gone, he probally wont be but at least this will shut him up for a while. Good Job, Kansas
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 12:00 PM

That was an exciting night. How about those heavys? We won the last four matches! What a clutch win by Bowen. Every win was important to the ultimate victory. Andy Hurla never surprises me. He fights to the end and will never give up. I think his exuberance at the end was well deserved. I knew he would not be on his back looking at us kicking like a junebug as gutwrench1 predicted. Like I said every win was important, every one of our wrestlers wrestled hard and gave it their all, and I got to say Jimmy Stewart and Caleb Born you guys were beasts out there. Way to go all of you.

As I understand it gutwrench has stated due to Hurla winning and KS winning that today will be his last post but I also believe that he has stated that he would identity himself today too. I think that would be the best and then he can stay on the forum under his real name. I believe he still has a lot to contribute to Kansas wrestling and even this forum. Not all of his stuff has been bad. I think he will be a little more reserved in his true identity. But there is no reason that his true self cannot still offer constructive criticism. Randy Hinderliter and others do it when needed. Randy has everyone's respect. gutwrench1 could earn it too under his true identity. Really, gutwrench1, I don't think most of us truly want to see you go away from the forum forever. We just want you to post under your true identity and to join guys like Gonz Medina, Sean McCarthy, Conor Fitzgerald and the other freestyle, greco and folkstyle coaches in our area to work with our kids in East Kansas to bring home more future Metro victories and get these kids ready for college. I know I can forgive some of your outlandish remarks. I bet most everyone else can too. It wasn't all bad that came out of it.

Great night. I really enjoyed it. And congratulations to every Kansas wrestler who participated. You all did great.
Posted By: gutwrench1

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 03:54 PM

Gents, as y'all know this is my final post and now I got a mad on. I just got back here to the trailor house and it's way after 9am and I'm gonna have to call in sick at work. By God, it was just an awful night. Everything was going just as I predicted when the Ft. Scott kid ignites a little fire that spreads like wild across a KS prairie. Madl and Hurla catch on and next thing we know is there's a pretty good case of KS red arse a goin'. That sawed-off, gutsy little Hurla and that Bowen boy done made a liar out of me on this public forum an humiliated me. But, that ain't the half of it. As I was leaving the gym, some KS hs coach, maybe from one of them catholic schools with a mad-on spots me sneakin' out with them poor folks from Misery. He rabbit punches me behind my ear and it felt like he had a rock in his hand or a sock o'nickles and another one gives me a froggie in the thigh. Now, I'm have dizzy spells and can't pronounce my r's and I sound just like Elmer Fud. I kept tellin the docto and the police that I was mugged at a westlin match......by god someone just pulled up the trailor house with what looks like a live bear, a pink tutu and a video camera. Looks like it's some of them serious boys from ks has found me. I gotta make a run for it but i got a limp from the froggie. If you miss gutstench, you can find me with a real mad on over on the misery.com board.

Truly yours,

Gutwrench1

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
Gents, as y'all know this is my final post and now I got a mad on. I just got back here to the trailor house and it's way after 9am and I'm gonna have to call in sick at work. By God, it was just an awful night. Everything was going just as I predicted when the Ft. Scott kid ignites a little fire that spreads like wild across a KS prairie. Madl and Hurla catch on and next thing we know is there's a pretty good case of KS red arse a goin'. That sawed-off, gutsy little Hurla and that Bowen boy done made a liar out of me on this public forum an humiliated me. But, that ain't the half of it. As I was leaving the gym, some KS hs coach, maybe from one of them catholic schools with a mad-on spots me sneakin' out with them poor folks from Misery. He rabbit punches me behind my ear and it felt like he had a rock in his hand or a sock o'nickles and another one gives me a froggie in the thigh. Now, I'm have dizzy spells and can't pronounce my r's and I sound just like Elmer Fud. I kept tellin the docto and the police that I was mugged at a westlin match......by god someone just pulled up the trailor house with what looks like a live bear, a pink tutu and a video camera. Looks like it's some of them serious boys from ks has found me. I gotta make a run for it but i got a limp from the froggie. If you miss gutstench, you can find me with a real mad on over on the misery.com board.

Truly yours,

Gutwrench1
This is It!!! The final post???? It does not meet our expectations.

Come on now. You got to do a lot better than that. You implied to windjammer that you would also identity yourself if Hurla won and the KS team got within 10 of Missouri.

We all want to see you actually wrestle this grizzly bear in a pink tutu too.
Posted By: Mike Furches

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:28 PM

That may be one of the funniest posts I have ever read on the forums. Gut, I for one will miss you if you're gone. On the other hand I expect to see you back in one form or another. I will say, thanks for some of the good advice you have given, both on the forums and me privately.
Posted By: Pirate

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 04:59 PM

Good riddance.
Posted By: soclosebutnot

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 08:06 PM

Oh man i love it that was a sweet ending for gut but as we all know that is not the last we will hear from him. As much as i dont like him i think he brought a lot of good stuff to the table.
Posted By: Mike Church Sr.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/08/06 08:18 PM

To tell you the truth I would not have known of such a rival if not for gutwrench1, and that just adds to the excitement. I say good job East Kansas. We here in the rest of the state are very proud of all of ya. LOL The way I always looked at it, I never thought you guys had a chance, but thats because I was listeng to gutwrench to much. Has this always been this serious of a rival or did Gutwrench contribute to making it this way?

MIke Church Sr.
KANSAS WRESTLING IS GREAT

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 01:14 AM

I'm with Pirate...Good Riddance!! See you and, certainly, wouldn't want to be you.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 01:19 AM

Kansas just upset a very stacked Missouri team in the metro classic, and the thing that a good number of people are talking about is gutwrench1...dissappointing.
Posted By: bighead

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marbla:
Kansas just upset a very stacked Missouri team in the metro classic, and the thing that a good number of people are talking about is gutwrench1...dissappointing.
Your 2 cents are always worth around 1/2 a penny. Gutwrench1 provided heated debate on issues pertaining to KS wrestling. Love em or hate em he has done some service, far more than anything you have ever posted.
Posted By: matdog

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 02:38 AM

Great all around wrestling with some surprises with Kansas kids stepping it up when they had to-
The refs were horrible-the Missouri ref was such a homer it was pathetic and the Kansas ref who usually is quite good missed many calls on both sides-too bad the reffing was not up to the caliber of the wrestling

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bighead:
Quote:
Originally posted by Marbla:
Your 2 cents are always worth around 1/2 a penny. Gutwrench1 provided heated debate on issues pertaining to KS wrestling. Love em or hate em he has done some service, far more than anything you have ever posted.
Whoa whoa whoa...I wasn't making commentary on the validity of gutwrench1's posts. I'm just trying to point out the fact that Kansas' big win over Missouri seems to be lost on some people, in light of Gutwrench1's deal.

As a matter of fact, I'd like to see him stick around.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 03:06 AM

Oh for god sakes, can we not have a topic on this board that doesn't involve terrible officiating. You know some of you are really going to have to find a new scapegoat when this whole blame the officials thing blows over.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Isom:
Oh for god sakes, can we not have a topic on this board that doesn't involve terrible officiating. You know some of you are really going to have to find a new scapegoat when this whole blame the officials thing blows over.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 03:41 AM

Nigel, You are right, the refs have taken a bashing lately and I'm as much to blame as anyone.BUT... you can take this to the bank,when someone says ref or official you are there like a fireman headed off to a code 10 fire!! Well in away I don't blame you. I recently made a comment in the highschool forum about officiating and official1 had responses diverted to ASK THE REF FORUM, where as you know different rules apply. When I tried to divert the subject matter back to the HIGH School Forum either Moderator1 or Moderator2 deleted it. You see different rules for officials than anyone else. Please don't take offense to this cause I find 99% of your post excellent reading but you are as guilty as anyone, by being over extreme in defense of an official, or any comment made about an official at all. I'm beginning to think that if you was the second official in a match that no matter what official1 said right or wrong official1 is right in your eyes no matter what. No mistakes , you guys don't make them. And if you did make a mistake, by god you didn't and its the OPINION that matters,or your JUDGEMENT, and if everyone doesn't AGREE, to damm bad. Seriously you tell me, baseball umpires take more crap than any human on earth, ohh haven't been to a basketball game lately go listen to that abuse of an official, HOCKEY ohhhhh don't even go there, football watch that abuse from the sidelines in case you have never been there... Wrestling officials will boot a spectator so fast it will make your head spin, eject a coach when he feels like it, and if he happens to make a mistake that cost a kid a match that he worked his astrical off to win its like, DON'T EVEN BRING IT UP. How did wrestling officials become so thin skinned in such a tough, tough, brutal sport.

I apologize to anyone offended
Mike Church Sr.
KANSAS WRESTLING IS GREAT
JUST MY OPINION YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 04:41 AM

Mike,

I realize that recently I have been overly defensive of the bashing that goes on here against officials, but there are a number of reasons why.

1. Most of the talking and bashing has been done on some of the most senior and well respected officials in our state. Now that doesn't speak well for either group in the state ( both spectators and officials ).

Beleive me when I tell you that I don't stand behind some of the calls that are made by officials, as evidenced by my comments regarding the Liberty Nationals tournament that I was at but not involved in that match. What I have found out since I started officating several years ago is I find myself watching other officials on my breaks as opposed to the wrestlers themselfs. I have seen calls that I totally disagreed with. On the other hand I have seen very good calls that the coach totally flipped their lids.

Regarding being the second official in a match. As you may or may not know, the head official of the match is the one that makes a finanl decision to a call. I have conferenced many times regarding some calls, and most of the time they are not overturned. I don't always agree with it but what am I supposed to say? "Hey you are wrong and you are going to change that call right now mister!!!!" It doesn't work like that.

2. What really has been bothering me lately, is all of the complaining is pretty much baseless, people just need a way to vent their frustration and this is the place to do it apprently. I wouldn't mind if people would say things like "I didn't agree with some of the calls that official made" or "I think he may have missed a couple of calls" These are statements I can accept because I know they can happen, I know i've missed calls before. But the only statements I've seen on here are "That ref sucks (horrible, terrible, etc" or " Hes the worst ref I've ever seen"

Case in point, most of the people on here that make stupid blanket statements like that never stop to consider what they are really saying. For example many of the people who saw the Kern-Strawn match now think that official is a terrible official becuase of 1 or 2 calls that he made ( made within the rules, good or bad, doesn't matter ) What these same people haven't stopped to think about is the 140+ good calls he made in those two days, or the 2000+ he made over the course of the season.

I just want people to be a little more considerate of the things they say on here, and make a judgement of an official on the totality of the job they do, not just a few controversial calls, because 99% of the comments made on this board involve those same calls.

One more thing Mike and others, if you don't wish to be ejected from a tournament or otherwise punished just follow that statement that we all know so well. Let the spectators watch, the coaches coach, and the officials officiate.

I will in the future try to cease offering my counter statements to the complaining i know im going to see on here, because it really isn't getting anything accomplished, and those that don't really know probably never will.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 05:00 AM

Sounds like Mudflap
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 05:26 AM

Regarding being the second official in a match. As you may or may not know, the head official of the match is the one that makes a finanl decision to a call. I have conferenced many times regarding some calls, and most of the time they are not overturned. I don't always agree with it but what am I supposed to say? "Hey you are wrong and you are going to change that call right now mister!!!!" It doesn't work like that.

Nigel, then what is the point of the second official? It sounds like we should spend our money on one quality official instead of having two average officials.

The second referee is out there for a reason, we all know that there can be some tough "judgment calls", and that is why the head offical should be humble enough to listen to the second official and occasionally overturn a missed call.

Just my opinion, I am sure your opinion will be much different.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 05:46 AM

Actually BigPin a totally agree with you, the head should be humble and able to overturn a call. I have seen it done many a time. But for every time that a call is overturned there is one that is not. You can tell when two officials are working on the same team and when they are not. A good example of this was the Abilene-Clay Center dual this year. Two great officials that I know, there was a point in one of the matches where the head official was looking for a defensive pin and didn't count the offensive points. The assistant came over and told him that he should have had at least a 3 count or better, so the head awarded the points. This is a case where the system worked out correctly, it doesn't always happen like this though

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 06:04 AM

Nigel, I have never seen you officiate and hope to some day. I can tell by your post you at least know whats up. Do yourself a favor and just be fair thats all anyone ask. I agree that some bashing takes place but there is such a thing as coach bashing as well. I know alot of refs, listened to their views and have both agreed and disagreed. My point here would be is not just myself but others as well,is it seems like some officials and I meen some that have been around maybe to long are just getting thinner skinned than use to be. Hey I don't envy the job and know its hard, but please don't expect spectators or coaches to be there and pretend like they are in sunday church. That isnt the nature of the sport. People are going to holler, blood vessles are going to pop out on coaches. Do your job but when you hear ohhhh give me a break wheres the back points, don't take it personal its going to happen. Trying to control everything outside the circle is a big big mistake and not good for the sport. I know first hand that there are plenty of cry babies out there, but also there is alot of legit complaining taking place as well.

Wish you well
MIke Church Sr.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 06:57 AM

Understandable Mike,

Its been my experience thats its pretty easy to tell when a coach is just saying something in the heat of passion, and when he is trying to be belligerent. There are a few coaches up in east Kansas that have rode me a few times, and I really didn't think anything about it because I knew they were just fighting for their wrestlers. And then there were the coaches who knew they were going to say the wrong thing, so I gave them a warning (only two this year).

I haven't ejected anyone this year, I'd like to think its because most of the calls I've made were good ones. But I let coaches know pretty much up front that certain topics are not up for discussion. The ones that are civil to me I explain to them that I'll give them a brief explanation of what happened at the table, and if they want a more detailed description to see me after the match. I try to be as civil with a coach as they are with me. I really appreciate when a coach has a cool head comming to the table.

By all means if you want to vent your frustrations about someone go ahead, but please keep in mind that a few missed calls doesn't make a poor official, and neither does one that follows the rules by the letter.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Church Sr.:
Nigel, I have never seen you officiate and hope to some day. I can tell by your post you at least know whats up. Do yourself a favor and just be fair thats all anyone ask. I agree that some bashing takes place but there is such a thing as coach bashing as well. I know alot of refs, listened to their views and have both agreed and disagreed. My point here would be is not just myself but others as well,is it seems like some officials and I meen some that have been around maybe to long are just getting thinner skinned than use to be. Hey I don't envy the job and know its hard, but please don't expect spectators or coaches to be there and pretend like they are in sunday church. That isnt the nature of the sport. People are going to holler, blood vessles are going to pop out on coaches. Do your job but when you hear ohhhh give me a break wheres the back points, don't take it personal its going to happen. Trying to control everything outside the circle is a big big mistake and not good for the sport. I know first hand that there are plenty of cry babies out there, but also there is alot of legit complaining taking place as well.

Wish you well
MIke Church Sr.
Mike,

I have seen Nigel referee, and he is one of the best younger referees out there and does a phenomenal job.
Posted By: Future Wrestlin Mom

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 08:44 AM

Not using the officials as an "escapegoat" but were u there at the metro classic to witness some of the calls?

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 08:45 AM

That was to Nigel
Posted By: Shine_Daddy

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 03:12 PM

escapegoat?

:rolleyes:
Posted By: W. Heights AD

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 05:20 PM

Oh dad, are you having fun with Nigel again! I can guarantee you are sitting behind your $25,000 laptop..haha! laughing and grinning at all replies you get...

About officials... here is my thoughts.
for the most part.. they are fair
for the most part.. they have good judgement
for the most part.. they are very thin-skinned
for the most part.. they do it for love of
the sport.
for the most part.. they are underpaid
for the most part.. they are underappreciated

however... a good official is an official that realizes the wrestlers are the show, not them.
however... a good official is almost invisible and if not talked about... did a very good job.

We do need to get rid of that stupid rule of if a coach talks to a ref it's a warning! Clarification or not... it's a dumb rule.. If a coach feels the need to argue... then it should be fine.

I umpire college baseball and have taken unbelievable butt chewings. If I would have been talked to like that on the streets it would have been a fight. Even when I know I was right and the coach is just defending his kids. However, its part of the game. coaches and officials will argue. Wrestling officials carry a sense of "you can't talk to me like that" mentality and warn too fast. If its happening over and over.. I can see a ref warning... but a valid arguement should not be warned.

just a thought.
Posted By: Jim Gaither

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Sounds like Mudflap
Yep, I thought that sounded an awful lot like Kentucky Mudflap myself.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/09/06 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mchurchJR.:
We do need to get rid of that stupid rule of if a coach talks to a ref it's a warning! Clarification or not... it's a dumb rule.. If a coach feels the need to argue... then it should be fine.
Yeah thats not going to happen, and thank goodness for that. We gotta have something to keep the coaches out of control, otherwise they would be up at the coaches table every single call and we'd never get through a match.
Posted By: mikechurch

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/10/06 02:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah thats not going to happen, and thank goodness for that. We gotta have something to keep the coaches out of control, otherwise they would be up at the coaches table every single call and we'd never get through a match.
Now Nigel... it was up for vote at our regional meeting! So it's possible. Nigel, I'm not saying it's o.k. to go up there every call made. That can get ridiculous and most coaches wont do that. Only a select few. But there have been sometimes where an athlete needed to be defended and when I go up to ask I get that oh so nice "There's your warning coach". Even when I was just asking for clarification so I can tell my wrestler what he needs or does not need to do! Remember, this sport if for wrestlers... not for officials!

Nigel, I wished you would work your way towards the middle of Kansas so we could see you work. I don't know you personally, but I have seen you wrestle. I want to see you behind the whistle. I applaud any young talent out there in the officiating world. We need you bad! You need to all get together and build and association to help you get your pay increased and get what your worth. Good luck! See you at the table!!!!!!!!! hahaha!

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/10/06 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikechurch:
Quote:
Quote:
Now Nigel... it was up for vote at our regional meeting! So it's possible. Nigel, I'm not saying it's o.k. to go up there every call made. That can get ridiculous and most coaches wont do that. Only a select few. But there have been sometimes where an athlete needed to be defended and when I go up to ask I get that oh so nice "There's your warning coach". Even when I was just asking for clarification so I can tell my wrestler what he needs or does not need to do! Remember, this sport if for wrestlers... not for officials!

Nigel, I wished you would work your way towards the middle of Kansas so we could see you work. I don't know you personally, but I have seen you wrestle. I want to see you behind the whistle. I applaud any young talent out there in the officiating world. We need you bad! You need to all get together and build and association to help you get your pay increased and get what your worth. Good luck! See you at the table!!!!!!!!! hahaha!
Nigel works Topeka to Hays and down to Wichita...he hits all stops!

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/10/06 07:29 AM

I've been to hays once about 3 years ago, thats really too far of a drive for me. I get down to the Wichita area about 1 a year. But if anyone down their wants to see me officiate just offer me a varisty tournament and I'll come, that is if I don't already have something set which I generally do before the start of the season.
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/11/06 03:42 AM

Just a little note to all of you that want to make an excuse for Missouri that Kansas goes to fort scott and topeka for kids. That is old news. Even with the fifty mile deal there are still 33 more Missouri wrestling schools eligible for this meet than there are Kansas Schools. If we went far enough to equalize the numbers of wrestlers possible for this meet Kansas would have to go to Manhatten to find that number of wrestling schools. We make no excuses when we get beat by Missouri and they have had kids from Knob Noster and Cameron so hey what is the beef anyway. It is a great match and we try to make it entertaining by going far enough to make it somewhat equal. The Missouri coaches and wrestlers don't make any excuses and they never need to they are tremendous competitors but give it a rest you fans. Believe me we have researched it pretty hard and we aren't in the business of trying to cheat anyone. Follow the lead of your wrestlers and coaches and quit whining, they don't and they have been plenty successful in this match. Both teams are going to have their share of wins in this deal and it is a wonderful competition. Why not leave out the sour grapes and just enjoy it.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/11/06 01:50 PM

Coach Westfahl:

I was there and it was a great event. I would not get too concerned about anyone complaining now about how the metropolitan radius zones are defined for each State. It is just sour grapes at this point. It only makes sense to take it outside of immediate metro area so all weight brackets can be adequately filled each year with high State placers. There does have to be some consideration for the number of schools and population in drawing up the metro boundaries for each State. I believe Kansas has a little larger of a radius boundary due to this reason. All involved do a great job in bringing the Metro area an excellent event.

Some people have suggested there should be an all state Border War between Missouri and Kansas. All state schools would be eligible for this type of post season event. Has that type of all State competition between Missouri and Kansas ever been considered or planned for? Do you see it as possiblilty?
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 06:37 AM

I don't see it as a possibility from our standpoint. It would be a great match but we never really want to get away from the local format in regards to this meet. Maybe some other match might make sense but this started with metro coaches and kids and as much as we can we want to keep that for their opportunity. Western Kansas kids of which I was once one a long time ago have their own opportunities to shine, this is kind of the KC areas way of doing something for its own. It kind of has its own flavor that we don't want to lose. Just my thoughts though, I sure don't speak for anyone or for the meet itself.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 11:27 AM

Thanks for your reply, Coach Westfahl. I agree with you. I would not want to lose the local Metro meet either. It is a very special event in the Metro. I hope we always have the Metro Wrestling Classic.

I was thinking an additional one that was open to all the schools of both Missouri and Kansas would be neat too.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 11:44 AM

Why not have one for wester kansas, a kansas v. colorado, or a norther with kansas v. nebraska? I know that down south they go to a oklahoma-kan tournament. I think it would be fun to see how the rest of Kansas stands up again our fellow neighbors. I myself went to the Metro classic and loved the excitement. It was fun to see how our wrestlers did against another state. Just an idea or a thought from a wrestling fan.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 01:32 PM

Brute is open to all schools an is in Omaha this year. It is not the dual atmosphere. If any one gets a chance - the national cadet duals are in Kansas City. The national junior duals are in Oklahoma City or Stilwater this year. It is freestyle/greco state to state duals. Schoolboy duals are in Indianapolis same thing. Good wrestling - go watch the one in Kansas City if you do not want to travel.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 03:42 PM

One of the great values in having post-season competition against other states, is the Senior wrestlers get more exposure to college coaches and their programs. At the Metro Classic, there were several college coaches who came by the group that I was sitting with asking various questions about different kids (grades, character traits, family support structure, etc.). Having more of these events can only give our kids more potential exposure to the next level and beyond.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 04:18 PM

... and one of the coaches that I noticed, was our newest one! Head Coach Jordan Nichols was in attendance.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 04:21 PM

Brother Randy: Missed you again at the Classic, are we ever going to meet? Are you going to go to OKC for the NCAA's? If so, I will make every effort to try and find you. You must have been very proud of Mr. Bowen the other night...good stuff!

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 07:48 PM

I want a Topeka v Wichita Area All Star Dual.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 07:58 PM

You are correct, Randy...Coach Nichols was one of the coaches in attendance. Very nice, bright and intelligent young man...wishing him much success at York and wherever life takes him.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 09:11 PM

Sorry Bracket-man I will not be in OKC. It seems that there is a kids district tourney going on!

I've often bemoaned the fact that for a wrestling fan I haven't attended a D1 dual, the Big XII Championships, the NCAA Championships or even the High School Nationals!

Just pre-occuppied I guess!

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/12/06 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by usawks1:
Sorry Bracket-man I will not be in OKC. It seems that there is a kids district tourney going on!

I've often bemoaned the fact that for a wrestling fan I haven't attended a D1 dual, the Big XII Championships, the NCAA Championships or even the High School Nationals!

Just pre-occuppied I guess!
Well we need to bring a DI dual then to your neck of the woods or something. I think Topeka would be close enough.
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri - 03/14/06 08:51 PM

Swayz, I am interested in your Topeka vs. Wichita idea. Let's hear your lineups. Would suburbs and area schools be eligible, or is it strictly Topeka vs. Wichita? What about KC vs. Wichita? What would your lineup be for this? Would this include metro or would it be just urban? Either way, I see Wichita winning although KC would probably have a better shot. I would like to see Wichita metro vs. NW Kansas. This year, based on the finishes at state, the Wichita area rules.
What are your thoughts?
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums