Alex Monegro- Leavenworth KS/Labette CC
Mark Scram- Ark City KS
Chris Cochrane- Pawhuska OK/Labette CC
Carl Wilkinson- Duncan OK
Justin Naccarato- Valley Center KS
James Watts- El Dorado KS

PRATT BEAVER CC WRESTLING SCHEDULE
Date - Opponent - Time
10/20/2006 - Blue and White Scrimmage - 7:30 p.m.
11/4/2006 - Labette Takedown Tournament - 9:00 a.m.
11/5/2006 - Pratt vs. Labette - 2:00 p.m.
11/11/2006 - Pratt vs. Neosho - 7:00 p.m.
11/12/2006 - Central Missouri State Open - 10:00 a.m.
11/15/2006 - Pratt vs. Colby - 7:00 p.m.
11/18/2006 - Northern Colorado Open - 10:00 a.m.
11/26/2006 - Oklahoma Open - 10:00 a.m.
12/2/2006 - Fort Hays State Open - 10:00 a.m.
12/6/2006 - Pratt vs. Bacone - 7:00 p.m.
12/9/2006 - Nebraska Kearney Open - 10:00 a.m.
1/5/2006 - Colby Tournament of Champions - 10:00 a.m.
1/6/2006 - Colby Tournament of Champions - All Day
1/9/2006 - Pratt vs. Labette - 7:00
1/11/2006 - Duel vs Neosho - 7:00
1/16/2006 - Pratt vs Colby - 7:00
1/21/2006 - Roger Denker Open CMSU - 10:00 a.m.
2/10/2006 - West Central Zone at NCC - All Day
2/11/2006 - West Central Zone at NCC - All Day
2/24/2006 - National Tournament in Rochester, MN - All Day
2/25/2006 - National Tournament in Rochester, MN - All Day
Posted By: Spartan Wrestling 05

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 09/26/06 04:09 AM

Tough Looking Team. Best of luck to PCC Beaver Wrestling.

Mike Flynn
Posted By: BJobe

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 09/26/06 05:13 PM

Good luck to all PCC wrestlers and staff. Great coaching staff should carry this team a long way. Look out for the 157 pounder.
Posted By: parkwayred

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 09/27/06 04:10 PM

Love the shirt's, How do I get one? Hinderliter and I just got to be the first street people to have them! Need a donation?
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 09/27/06 07:38 PM

I believe I could come up with a few bucks! But we need to hide it from my wife ... she told me, "if you ever buy another wrestling shirt I will @#(()@_+@@#*&^^ your acorns!"
Posted By: Mike Furches

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 09/27/06 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by usawks1:
I believe I could come up with a few bucks! But we need to hide it from my wife ... she told me, "if you ever buy another wrestling shirt I will @#(()@_+@@#*&^^ your acorns!"
That might be something for the movie Jackass 3.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 10/01/06 05:35 AM

As for the shirts contact Coach Thompson at PCC at 620-450-2155. We are ordering more shirts, they won't be the same ones as in the picture but rather just be black and say Beaver Wrestling on the front I believe is the design we picked out.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 10/01/06 11:42 AM

Best of luck to all of you this year. I hope everyone of you has a very successful year in Pratt Community College's first wrestling season.
Posted By: Chase

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 10/04/06 07:41 PM

Tommy Edgmon is also on the team but is taking a redshirt year

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 10/05/06 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chase:
Tommy Edgmon is also on the team but is taking a redshirt year
yea sorry he was sick the day of the team picture so I forgot about him.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 10/17/06 09:57 PM

Bump
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 10/21/06 06:11 AM

Results from the intrasquad?

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 10/21/06 02:48 PM

125- James Fox Decision Matt Banta
133- Antral Miller Decision Andrew Carillo
141- Colby Crawford Major Decision Lorenzo Mundy
149/57 Exhibition- Jason Nichols Major Decision Tyler Bell
165- Jake Nichols Decision Nick McGrew
174- Alex Monegro Decision Kirk Fairleigh
184- Jeren Scheer Decision Brandon Wright
197- Brandon Naccarato Decision Mark Scram
285- Carl Wilkinson Decision (OT) Chris Cochrane

20-9 in favor of the blue squad

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/05/06 04:28 PM

PCC wrestlers debut in Blue/White Scrimmage

It was an impressive debut for the Pratt Community College wrestling team at their first annual Blue/White Scrimmage on Friday night in the Dennis Lesh Sports Arena. Competing in eight weight classes and one exhibition match, Pratt certainly looked ready for their opener on Nov. 4th at Labette.

“I think we’re in good shape for Labette,” said Head Coach Chas Thompson. “I thought we would be within 3-4 points in all classes, and that was pretty much the case. Carl Wilkinson (Pawhuska, Okla.) was a bit of a surprise at 285, and Colby Crawford (Pawhuska) impressed me with his intensity on the mat.”

“All in all,” continued Thompson, “I was pleased. Our sophomores are going to be leaders in the middle weights. We need to correct those false starts, and maybe put a little more effort into our bottom work, but otherwise I really like what we showed tonight. And I thought we had a nice crowd to show that to.”

Approximately 200 spectators came to get a look at the new Pratt team, which will have its first home dual vs. Colby on November 15 at 7:00pm.

Results

125 -James Fox dec. Matt Banta 8-2

133 - Antral Miller dec. Andrew Carillo 6-3

141 - Colby Crawford dec. Lorenzo Mundy 16-4

*Jason Nichols (157) dec. Tyler Bell (149) 10-1

165 - Jake Nichols dec. Nick McGrew 10-9

174 - Alejandro Monegro dec. Kirk Fairley 11-8

184 - Jeren Scheer dec. Brandon Wright 4-2

197 - Justin Naccarrato dec. Mark Scram 6-5

285 - Carl Wilkinson dec. Chris Cochran 3-1

*exhibition match

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/08/06 02:13 AM

The Pratt Tribune

Beaver wrestlers win 2 in tourney
By Cody Hooten

CHANUTE — The Pratt Community College wrestling team opened its season this weekend at the Cameron Bradshaw Takedown Tournament, hosted by Labette Community College, then stuck around for a dual with Labette on Sunday. These matches marked the first competition for PCC wrestling since 1973.

At the tournament on Saturday, which was a pre-season tournament where the competitors only wrestle from the neutral position, two PCC wrestlers walked away with championships. Joey Stephens, a freshman from Derby, won the 120 pound division and Jason Nichols, a freshman from Garden City, won the 160 pound division. The matches consisted of one three minute period. Stephens and Nichols had the most takedowns at the end of their period.

Stephens defeated Ryan Lessener of Lincoln (Ill.) College in the finals to take the title, while Nichols defeated Joe Yust from Labette for the win.

Head Coach Chas Thompson had high praise for his two winners.

“Stephens was very impressive,” Thompson said. “He used some big moves to put each one of his opponents to their back in all of his matches. Nichols was also impressive in his showing, not surrendering a single takedown in the tournament.”

Justin Naccarato, a sophomore from Valley Center, took second in the 200 pound weight class, James Fox, a freshman from Douglass High School, placed third out of the 136 pounders and Colby Crawford, sophomore from Pawhuska, Okla., came in fourth out of the 144 pounders.

“Overall I thought we wrestled well on our feet Saturday,” Thompson said. “We looked a little flat on our feet that first round but were able to turn things around after that and have a pretty decent showing.”

PCC took their lumps in their dual with LCC, the second ranked NJCAA team in the country, on Sunday, losing 31-10. They walked away with three wins out of 10 matches. The wins came from Matt Banta, 125 pound freshman from Arkansas City, who pulled off a miracle two point reversal with four seconds left in the match to take the one point victory.

“I was happy with the win but Matt looked a little sloppy at times and he knows that. It’s nothing we can’t fix, though,” Thompson said of his young wrestler. “You got to love Matt for his guts though. One second I’m thinking he blew the match and the next he regained his lead for a huge win.”

Also, 149 pound freshman Rylan England from Duncan, Okla., and Naccarato at 197 pounds both won in dominating fashion.

“Rylan is a gamer, who was actually a 141 pounder that took one for the team and bumped up to the 149 pound class,” Thompson added. “Justin is a pretty intense kid that we know that we are going to get the full seven minutes out of every time.”

“I’m somewhat pleased with our performance,” Thompson said of their overall performance on Sunday. “We won three out of 10 matches today. I thought we should have taken two more matches from them. LCC came in very well prepared and is a solid team. I knew what we were up against. They are well coached and always in very good shape. I received several compliments after the dual on how good the kids looked and that they are happy to see another wrestling program starting in Kansas.”

The PCC wrestlers will be back in action this weekend, traveling to Chanute for a duel with Neosho County Community College and then to Warrensburg, Missouri, for the Central Missouri State Tournament.
Posted By: ike

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/13/06 02:59 PM

Pratt Community College had an impressive 31-10 victory over Neosho Community College on Saturday afternoon in Chanute. Congratulations on the first duel win of the season. They had some good performances at the Central Missouri State tourney as well.

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/16/06 03:05 PM

Pratt Community College moves to 2-1 on the dual year with a 24-15 win over Colby Community College last night at Dennis Lesh Sports Arena in Pratt, KS. The dual started at 125lbs.

125- Akmal Adilov, C, open
133- James Fox, P, dec. Tyler Baker, 7-2
141- Colby Crawford, P, fall Levi Younkin, 5:52
149- Rylan England, P, maj. dec. Cale Farber, 10-0
157- David Loos, P, maj. dec. Cole Garcia, 12-4
165- Taylor Finley, C, dec. Nick McGrew, 6-1
174- Scott Miller, C, dec. Jake Nichols, 8-1
184- Chris Sutton-Kearn, C, dec. Alex Monegro, 7-3
197- Jeren Scheer, P, maj. dec. Naoto Saga, 15-3
285- Carl Wilkinson, P, dec. Gabe Walz, 3-0

Pratt 24 Colby 15
Posted By: Jon Doe

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/16/06 03:19 PM

Big win for Pratt at 141. What was the score and who was leading at the time of the fall?
Posted By: Tom Heier

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/16/06 08:44 PM

Crawford was up 6-4, Younkin shot in, Crawford countered and took Levi straight to his back.
The first point of the match was a stalling point against Younkin, followed quickly by a takedown from Crawford, followed by three back points. Younkin escapes, gets a takedown, then gets another escape to start the third period.
Does anyone know about Lance Roe? Is he JV? injured? I was looking forward to watching him last night.
Posted By: ike

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/16/06 08:47 PM

Crawford is tough. He is expected to be an All-American this year.

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/17/06 06:30 AM

Lance Roe is hurt. I cannot disclose what the injury is but he is out for the time being.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/17/06 11:42 AM

Pratt's Real Men of Genius shirt is the best!

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 11/21/06 08:40 PM

Beavers place two in strong competition
By Cody Hooten

The Pratt Community College wrestling team traveled to Greeley, Colo., on Sunday to compete in the Old Chicago Northern Colorado Open. Once again, the Beavers found themselves in a large tournament in which the smallest weight class featured 28 competitors from four-year schools and top junior colleges in the area.

Two PCC wrestlers made it through the gauntlet to place in the tournament.

Colby Crawford, sophomore from Pawhuska, Okla., continued his solid start to the season placing third in the 141 pound division, losing a questionable match to Joey Deaguero of Adams State University. Crawford posted a 5-1 record at the event.

“Colby had a great tournament. I personally feel he should have been in the finals but the ref had some tough calls and all of them went for the Adams State kid,” Head Coach Chas Thompson said.

Also placing for the Beavers was Jason Nichols in the 157 pound weight class. The freshman from Garden City grappled to a fourth place finish. Nichols was 4-1 in the tournament before he was forced to forfeit due to a knee injury.

“Jason wrestled well also. He got a little banged up in his quarterfinal match and wrestled up until his third and fourth place match. Rather than risk an injury we sat Jason out to give him a little rest,” Thompson added.

Two PCC wrestlers made some noise in the 133 pound weight class. Joe Olson, freshman from WaKeeney, went 3-2 and James Fox, freshman from Douglass, won two matches before he was eliminated. Heavyweight Carl Wilkinson also won two matches in the tournament.

“Overall we could have wrestled better. We lost a lot of one point matches. Now what we need to do is take what we’ve learned from these losses and work on them in the room,” Thompson concluded.

The Beavers will get the opportunity to learn from these losses on Sunday, Nov. 26, when they travel to Norman, Okla., for the Oklahoma Open.

Results

Colby Crawford 3rd Place
Dec. Jess Heiner 12-2
Dec. Rocco Depaolo 5-2
Dec. Tate Lowe 6-4
Lost to Joey Deaguero 15-13
Dec. Byron Kuylen 3-1

Jason Nichols 4th Place
Dec. Derek Fritz 11-2
Dec. Noomis Jones 5-0
Dec. Nick Ross 9-3
Lost to Luke Salazar 9-2
Dec. Jeb Clark 9-1
Forfeit to Danny Grater

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 12/05/06 08:49 PM

Crawford and Nichols Place Again for Beavers
12/5/06

The Pratt Community College wrestling team once again competed against the top collegiate wrestlers at all levels in the area on Saturday. This time they traveled to Hays to grapple in the Bob Smith Open at Fort Hays State University where Colby Crawford and Jason Nichols again placed for the Beavers.

Colby Crawford, sophomore from Pawhuska, Oklahoma, continued his great start to the season, making it to the finals of the 141 pound weight class. Crawford, who cruised through his first three opponents, fell to the top-ranked wrestler in NCAA Division II, University of Central Oklahoma’s Kyle Evans.

Also continuing a nice season thus far was Jason Nichols, who placed fourth in the open at 157 pounds. The freshman from Garden City won his first three matches before falling to Jason Leavitt, the sixth-ranked wrestler in NCAA Division II also from UCO. Nichols rebounded with a solid win, before dropping a decision to the number eight wrestler in D-II, Jared Webster of Chadron State University.

“Colby and Jason both had tough roads, but they both battled through their competition,” Head Coach Chas Thompson said. “I thought those guys wrestled well.”

Carl Wilkinson, another mainstay for the Beavers, had a good tournament as well. The freshman heavyweight from Duncan, Oklahoma, won three of his five matches on the day, falling one win short of placing.

“Carl had a long day. He had to wrestle two matches in about a 20 minute span which can weigh on an athlete’s performance. I’m not making any excuses for Carl though. Carl has improved every single time that he has wrestled this year,” Thompson said of his wrestler.

“I was pleased with the way we wrestled overall. The Bob Smith Open is always a good test to see where your kids are,” Thompson added.

The Beavers will hit the mats again Wednesday, traveling down the turnpike to Muskogee, Oklahoma, to duel with Bacone College. They will get under way at 7:00.

Placers Box Score
Colby Crawford 3-1. 2nd at 141 pounds
Dec. Tait Lowe, Western State College of Colorado, 5-3
Dec. Ryan Henning, University of Central Oklhoma, Fall 1:35
Dec. Kyle Francis, Western State College of Colorado, Fall :35
Lost to #1 Kyle Evans, University of Central Oklahoma

Jason Nichols 4-2, 4th at 157 pounds
Dec. Brett Mettlin, Colby Community College, 10-2
Dec. Glen Blount, Neosho County Community College, Fall 2:20
Dec. Paul Mayfield, University of Central Oklahoma, 12-3
Lost to #6 Jason Leavitt, University of Central Oklahoma, 7-3
Dec. Nathan Pilcher, Colorado School of Mines, 6-3
Lost to #8 Jared Webster, Chadron State College, 5-1

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 01/09/07 10:21 AM

Beaver Wrestlers Dominate Okies in Muskogee
12/8/06

The Pratt Community College wrestling team improved its record to 2-1 in dual matches, taking down Bacone College in Muskogee, Oklahoma on Wednesday. The Beavers cruised to a 38-15 victory against the NAIA school, winning seven of ten matches.

“I thought that the boys worked hard tonight. Our shape looked great and we had some nice falls tonight,” Head Coach Chas Thompson said.

The night started with the 133 pound wrestlers, with James Fox, freshman from Douglass, picking up a major decision 14-2. Colby Crawford, sophomore from Pawhuska, Oklahoma, followed Fox by pinning his opponent in the second period for his second pin victory in three dual matches.

The Beavers responded to Bacone’s 149 pound win by pinning their next three opponents to take firm control of the evening.

The highlight of the night, however, was a loss by the Beavers. Carl Wilkinson faced off with Bacone’s Ryan Soviar, with Wilkinson looking to avenge a loss earlier in the season to Soviar.

The match went into a tie breaker overtime with Carl starting on bottom. Carl hit a hard switch and Soviar made a great counter-move and caught Carl on his back for the fall.

“Even though Carl got pinned, I was pleased with his performance. He was very tired going into that overtime, but still found a way to push himself. Carl’s aggressiveness hurt him this match, but nine times out of 10, Carl puts himself in a better situation because of his hustle,” Thompson said of his grappler.

The Beavers lost by fall in the last match of the night, but stood on top of the final tally.

Next up for PCC will be the University of Nebraska-Kearney Open in Kearney, Nebraska on Saturday.

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 01/09/07 10:22 AM

Wilkinson Paces Beaver Wrestling
12/11/06

Pratt Community College wrestler Carl Wilkinson has been on the doorstep of becoming a good wrestler all season. He has some good wins, sprinkled in with some tough losses against top-flight competition. Wilkinson’s continued development came to an apex Saturday night when he was the only Beaver to place at the University of Nebraska – Kearney Open.

“This was a coming out party for Carl. He’s wrestled well all year, but today he turned the corner,” Head Coach Chas Thompson said of Crawford. “I’m very proud of Carl and the way he wrestled this weekend.”

The day got off to a good start for Wilkinson, who won a 5-3 decision over Ben Hohensee, a freshman from Labette Community College, who was a high school All-America last year. Wilkinson went on to win four of five matches on the day.

Wilkinson’s only loss in the tournament came in the semi-finals against Tervel Dlagnev of the hometown UNK Lopers and the top-ranked wrestler in NCAA Division II. The freshman heavyweight from Duncan, Oklahoma, won his next two matches to take third in the event.

“Carl had a phenomenal tournament. Every match this weekend was tough for him,” Thompson went on about Wilkinson.

Another top performer for the Beavers was Ryan England who won three of five matches on the day. The freshman who is also from Duncan, Oklahoma, lost his first and last match of the day to fall one win short of placing.

Due to Christmas Break, the Beaver grapplers won’t get back on the mats until January 5th and 6th at the Colby Tournament of Champions.

Ryan England DNP
Lost to Curtis Salazar (University of Nebraska) 7-5
Def. Peter Barger (University of Nebraska) 9-0
Def. Clay Sandgeroath (University of Wyoming) 5-2
Def. Matt Reinke (York College) Med. Forf.
Lost to Nate Troop (Missouri Baptist College) 4-3

Carl Wilkinson 3rd Place
Def. Ben Hohensee (Labette Community College) 5-3
Def. Jared Bonnell (Missouri Baptist College) 5-2
Lost to Tervel Dlagnev (University of Nebraska – Kearney) Fall 3:50
Def. Ben Hohensee (Labette Community College) 2-0
Def. Chris Eberwein (Fort Hays State University) 4-3

Source URL:
http://www.prattcc.edu/college/main_athl..._wrestling.html

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 01/09/07 09:36 PM

The Beaver Wrestling team will host two duals this week at home in the Dennis Lesh Sports Arena. Tonight (January 9) the Beavers take on the Labette Cardinals at 7p.m., and Thursday, January 11 they battle the Neosho Panthers.

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 01/10/07 02:21 AM

#6Pratt 9 #2Labette 29
125- #2 Tim Elliot, L, WBTF Matt Banta
133- #2 Josh Baldridge, L, WBF James Fox
141- #6 Marcus Bowman, L, WBD #8 Colby Crawford
149- Rylan England, P, WBD Drew Hare
157- #4 Jason Nichols, P, WBD #3 Joe Yust
165- Mikey Morgan, L, WBD Nick McGrew
174- Chance Rencountre, L, WBD Kirk Fairley
184- Eric Irvin, L, WBD Jeren Scheer
**197- Elijah Martinez, L, Open
285- #8 Carl Wilkinson, P, WBD Willie Weber

** Dual Startd at 197

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 01/11/07 09:26 PM

Wilkinson shines at 285; PCC falls to Labette County

PRATT — Labette Community College won six of 10 matches to down Pratt Community College 31-9 in a battle of nationally ranked wrestling teams Tuesday.

Labette, ranked second in the nation, walked out three 2006 All-Americans. One fell.

PCC, sixth nationally, forfeited 197 to open the match, but recovered quickly.

The Beavers’ 285-pounder Carl Wilkinson, ranked eighth in the nation, upset third-ranked and 2006 All-American Willie Weber 5-3.

Wilkinson’s win did not ignite a run.

Cardinal All-Americans Tim Elliot and Josh Baldridge won at 125 and 133. PCC’s Colby Crawford then fell at 141 to Marcus Bowman 11-3.

Labette used the victories to forge a 21-3 lead.

Ryan England broke the Cardinals’ momentum, nipping Drew Hare 3-2 at 149.

Another nationally ranked matchup followed, ending in the Beavers’ favor.

PCC’s Jason Nichols and Joe Yust met at 157. Yust held the higher ranking, third, but Nichols, ranked fourth, earned a third-period penalty point, breaking a 1-1 tie and giving him a 2-1 triumph.

Nichols’s win brought the Beavers within 12 points, 21-9, but Labette swept the next three weight classes to close out the match.

The Cardinals are now 9-0. PCC falls to 3-2.

The Beavers host Neosho County Thu., Jan 11, at 7 p.m.

Labette CC 31, Pratt CC 9

197: PCC forfeit;
285: Wilkerson P dec. Weber L 5-3;
125: Elliot L dec. Banta P 19-3;
133: Baldridge L pin Fox P 4:20;
141: Bowman L dec. Crawford P 11-3;
149: England P dec. Hare L 3-2;
157: Jason Nichols P dec. Yust L 2-1;
165: Morgan L dec. McGrew P 6-0;
174: Rencountre L dec. Fairley P 9-6;
184: Irvin L dec. Scheer P 15-5.

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 01/11/07 09:28 PM

Wrestling Rematch with Neosho Tonight, with “Wrestling for Dummies” Expo at 6:45

1/11/07

Ever wonder why the scoreboard suddenly changes in the middle of a wrestling match, when all you’re seeing is two people changing positions more often than a presidential debate. Well, tonight the PCC Wrestling team will help you make sense of those flailing arms and legs, and the cryptic referee signals that determine the victor. At 6:45, fifteen minutes prior to the start of the Neosho dual, Head Coach Chas Thompson will narrate what his wrestlers will demonstrate on the mat. You’ll have the opportunity to ask questions of the coaches and greatly enhance your ability to follow the action.

Tonight’s match will be Pratt’s last home dual of the season, and the second time they’ve faced Neosho this year. Pratt came out on top in their initial meeting on Nov. 11th. Pratt ended the match with a substantial 31-10 advantage.

On Tuesday night, the Beavers hosted their second dual of the season, taking on Labette Community College. After defeating Colby at home earlier in the season, it didn’t go as well for the Beavers this time around.

PCC, ranked sixth in the country in the latest NJCAA poll, dropped the dual to the second ranked LCC Cardinals 31-9, winning only three of 10 matches. The results from this match-up with Labette were very similar to the results from their dual in November, when the Cardinals won 31-10 and the Beavers again only managed three wins.

“I thought we wrestled okay tonight,” Head Coach Chas Thompson said. “We gave up some big points at the end of matches that we should not have. Give credit to LCC for coming in prepared, but we should have wrestled them a little closer.”

The wins for the Beavers came from Rylan England in the 149 pound division, Jason Nichols in the 157 match and Carl Wilkinson at 285 pounds. Nichols and Wilkinson both won matches over higher ranked opponents.

Nichols, who took first place in his weight class at the Colby Tournament of Champions this weekend, took down the third-ranked wrestler in the 157 pound division in NJCAA, Joe Yust. The freshman from Garden City defeated Yust for the second time in a four day span.

Wilkinson matched up with the third-ranked 285 pounder in the NJCAA, Willie Weber, who had pinned Wilkinson earlier in the year. The freshman from Duncan, Oklahoma, overcame a 2-1 deficit going into the third period, earning a two point takedown in the late in the third period to take the match 5-3.

“Carl showed a lot of heart tonight. He really wanted to see that kid again and avenge his earlier loss to him and he did,” Thompson said of Wilkinson.

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 01/12/07 01:46 AM

#6 Pratt 34 #14 Neosho 15

*125- Matt Banta, P, Open
133- Tanner Dawson, N, WBF David William
141- Andrew Carillo, P, WBF Matt Ward
149- Rylan England, P, WBF Mike Miller
157- Lorenzo Mundy, P, WBMD Keenan Kroetsch
165- Nick McGrew, P, WBD (OT) Avery Rhodes
174- Jason Green, N, WBF Kirk Fairley
184- Tim Cross, N, WBD Jeren Scheer
197- Justin Naccarato, P, WBF Ethan Leroy
285- Carl Wilkinson, P, WBD Wesley Grant
Posted By: littledmom

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 01/12/07 02:56 PM

Congrats to the Beavers!! They did an excellent job last night and had a nice crowd there to cheer them on. Keep it up guys!

Re: Pratt Community College Wrestling 2006-2007 - 02/13/07 08:36 AM

Published on Pratt Community College (http://www.prattcc.edu)

Beaver Wrestlers Qualify Six for Nationals
2/11/07

It was a banner Saturday for the PCC Wrestling Team as they qualified six wrestlers for Nationals and came away with a 4th place team finish at the West/Central Zone Regional Qualifier held at Neosho Community College in Chanute. Pratt ended the day only three team points out of second place and garnered the tournament’s Outstanding Wrestler Award, given to Jason Nichols at 157. The tournament was a huge success for the resurgent wrestling program and first year Head Coach Chas Thompson.

PCC had four finalists in the tournament: James Fox (133), Colby Crawford (141), Rylan England (149), and Jason Nichols (157). Crawford and Nichols both took firsts, and England and Fox earned seconds.

Unfortunately James Fox forfeited in the finals due to a minor injury that occurred in his semi-final match. In the semi-finals James defeated #7 ranked Tyler Baker of Colby CC 8-3. James tied the series between the two 2-2.

“James wanted that win bad,” said Coach Thompson. “Tyler is pretty much James’ in-state rival. They’re buddies off the mat, but when they step on the mat they really battle. It was unfortunate that we had to make a decision to not wrestle James so he can be healthy going into Nationals in two weeks.”

Colby Crawford powered his way to PCC’s first Regional Individual Championship in dominating fashion, defeating Stuart Brinkman from Western Wyoming 10-4. In the semi-finals Colby got a fall in just 37 seconds over #8 ranked Marcus Bowman of Labette, an opponent he had previously lost to twice this season.

“I was really pumped for Colby when he got that fall,” said Thompson. “We had a good idea we’d run into this kid this weekend, devised a plan of attack and came away with a big win.”

Rylan England lost in the finals to #3 ranked Willie Pendleton of Labette in a very hard fought match. Rylan battled to tie the match 3-3 with a stall call and just 20 seconds left, but with only 4 seconds remaining he was taken down and lost 5-3. In the semi-finals Rylan also avenged an earlier season loss, defeating #4 ranked Cody Chipperfield of Western Wyoming 4-2.

“I’ve said this all year about Rylan,” offered Thompson. “He’s the quiet storm that no one sees coming. The guy is slowly moving his way up the rankings. Plain and simple, Rylan isn’t scared of anybody you put in front of him.”

Jason Nichols ended the night for the Beavers with an impressive fall in the second period over #5 ranked Jeb Clark of Northwest Wyoming. Jason also defeated the #6 ranked Clayton Cook of Western Wyoming in the semi-finals 7-2. Nichols efforts earned him the Outstanding Wrestler Award.

“I think Jason was up 8-2 when he got the fall and won the tournament,” said Thompson. “What can I say, Jason is a beast. That’s why I called him up 7 months ago and asked him if he wanted to come out here and wrestle. He just makes this sport look easy.”

Two other Beaver grapplers also qualified for Nationals. Carl Wilkinson (285) and Justin Naccarato (197) both got 3rd place. Nac got a 1-0 decision over Naoto Saga of Colby CC for 3rd and 4th. Carl won 7-2 over Wesley Grant of Neosho CC to take 3rd also.

Other placers for the Beavers were Nick McGrew in 5th place at 165 lbs, Alex Monegro 5th place at 184 lbs, Matt Banta 6th place at 125 lbs, and Kirk Fairley got 6th place at 174 lbs.

“I’m extremely proud of the guys,” said Coach Thompson. “They all trained hard for this meet, and I think it showed in the tournament. I think getting six through is great, but we could have gotten 1-2 more through. We had a couple of nail biters this weekend that could have gone either way. Now we’ll just take a little time to recuperate over the next couple days then get back to training for the National Tournament in Rochester, Minnesota February 24th and 25th.

Team Scores
1st place Labette CC 98.5
2nd place NW Wyoming CC 66.5
3rd place W Wyoming CC 64.5
4th place Pratt CC 63.5
5th place Colby CC 47.5
6th place Neosho CC 24

National Qualifiers

James Fox 2nd place 133lbs
Dec. Brady Hayden WWCC 8-1
Dec. Tyler Baker CCC 8-3
Forfeit to Josh Baldridge LCC