Kansas Wrestling

Big 12 teams possibly joining Big 10?

Posted By: Husker Fan

Big 12 teams possibly joining Big 10? - 07/27/21 10:04 PM

I am sure this is wishful thinking but with Texas and Oklahoma applying to become part of the SEC, it has been reported that KU and Iowa State are showing some interest in possibly joining the Big Ten conference. I wonder if this happened would it mean that Kansas University would need to add wrestling. I am not sure but that might be a requirement in the Big Ten to have a men's wrestling team. It probably will not happen as I have my doubts that the Big Ten would have a strong interest in KU joining the conference. KU basketball would be the thing to make it something the Big Ten might be interested in. My guess though is that if the Big 12 does breakup after Texas and Oklahoma leave that KU more likely would end up in the ACC with the other national basketball programs.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Big 12 teams possibly joining Big 10? - 07/28/21 03:04 PM

KU will NOT add wrestling! In fact, all these conference mergers are going to have a devastating effect on existing non-revenue sports in the long term.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: Big 12 teams possibly joining Big 10? - 08/05/21 12:27 AM

sportsfan02, that is most likely true. But if the Big Ten did offer KU membership but required them to add wrestling, I think they would do it.
Posted By: Mat_Dad_USMC03

Re: Big 12 teams possibly joining Big 10? - 11/10/21 03:08 PM

Im all for it but. I think you would have a better chance of KSU and WSU adding it before KU.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Big 12 teams possibly joining Big 10? - 07/13/22 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by sportsfan02
KU will NOT add wrestling! In fact, all these conference mergers are going to have a devastating effect on existing non-revenue sports in the long term.

I wouldn't totally bet the farm on that!!!!

I think we may see wrestling go the way of some others that have 6-7 primary conference-affiliated schools and take the route of wrestling being added to the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation:

THE MOUNTAIN PACIFIC SPORTS FEDERATION
2022-2023 Participating Members (NOT Finalized)
11 Sports . 13 States . 37 Institutions . 74 Teams

https://mpsports.org/sports/2018/6/18/members-mpsf-members-html.aspx
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Big 12 teams possibly joining Big 10? - 07/13/22 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mat_Dad_USMC03
Im all for it but. I think you would have a better chance of KSU and WSU adding it before KU.

I think UMKC on the Missouri side would be the easiest to pick up now that Lindenwood on the East and Mizzou in the middle have DI wrestling.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums