Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Good articles from the Funk-Master #83493 03/21/06 03:00 AM
Ryan Jilka Offline OP
OP Offline
http://www.wiwrestling.com/2004/stories/Askren/index.htm

The above link is to 4 articles Ben Askren wrote. It's full of great ideas to help wrestlers become better and one on how to deal with referees. He may use a lot of funk, have a big fro, and seem a little cocky, but the guy is awesome. Furthermore, he's great for the sport. We need some fans from outside of the sport, and he can bring them in.

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Good articles from the Funk-Master #83494 03/21/06 05:52 AM
LancerM Offline
I took Ben down once. Basically he was playing with me, letting me get in deep and take him to the mat, and then, before I could finish, roll me over and pin me with some crazy-ass move. This went on until one time when I held him down for a good six second before he reversed and pinned me.

It was the greatest thing I've ever accomplished.

Re: Good articles from the Funk-Master #83495 03/21/06 09:03 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Jilka:
http://www.wiwrestling.com/2004/stories/Askren/index.htm

The above link is to 4 articles Ben Askren wrote. It's full of great ideas to help wrestlers become better and one on how to deal with referees. He may use a lot of funk, have a big fro, and seem a little cocky, but the guy is awesome. Furthermore, he's great for the sport. We need some fans from outside of the sport, and he can bring them in.
Agreed! Man o man. Look what he wrote below and think of a recent HS final on the 4a side...

"As a wrestler, the reason to not to blame the referee is simple. It is your fault you lost, not the refs. So often, it is sickening to see wrestlers waiting for overtime or double OT and the flip. That concept is foreign to me. I figure if you wait that long you deserve to lose the match. I have a simple philosophy that prevents me from blaming the referee. If my match is close enough where the ref can make a difference then it is my fault I put him in the equation. I strongly believe all wrestlers should think this way. If you have a problem beating people by a lot, the answer is simple: Work Harder. I have never seen Cael Sanderson or Alexander Karelin whine about the call of a ref. Did you? Wrestlers, do your jobs! Take responsibility for what you do and don't blame someone else."

"Next time you are at a wrestling meet, relax, cheer for the wrestlers and don't heckle the referee. Rather applaud (not literally) his effort."

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Good articles from the Funk-Master #83496 03/21/06 04:40 PM
A
ABetterLancer Offline
A
(I took Ben down once. Basically he was playing with me, letting me get in deep and take him to the mat, and then, before I could finish, roll me over and pin me with some crazy-ass move. This went on until one time when I held him down for a good six second before he reversed and pinned me.)

- I Know for a fact that Mark Robinson has never even come close to taking down Ben Askren. In fact its a shame that their names have been displayed here in the same sentence.

Re: Good articles from the Funk-Master #83497 03/21/06 04:57 PM
K
klint deere Offline
K
I would beg to differ, Mark is a grand master of funk as well, the only difference between him and Askren, is that Ben can keep up the funk for 7 minutes and Mark for 7 seconds--great in bull riding, not so good in wrestling.

Re: Good articles from the Funk-Master #83498 03/21/06 08:15 PM
LancerM Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ABetterLancer:
- I Know for a fact that Mark Robinson has never even come close to taking down Ben Askren. In fact its a shame that their names have been displayed here in the same sentence.
Hey, I'm not saying it was a legit takedown in a match, just Ben toying with me during a camp. But hey, that's enough for me.

So, this has to be Ryan Sonderegger, right? Oh, I miss your neverending hardass attitude. I wonder who you got it from, ha ha ha...

Re: Good articles from the Funk-Master #83499 03/22/06 06:25 AM
Wally Offline
Wake-up LancerM

"I'm going to the backseat of my car with the woman I love, and I won't be back for TEN MINUTES."

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 134 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)