Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
High School Rules on Clinics #85016 07/18/06 03:09 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Question regarding High School wrestlers participation in clinics that came up on the Youth Forum. It is my understanding that if a private lesson, no problem, however if a group clinic and during season a High School Wrestler may not participate. Appreciate the official ruling on this, I know Richard and others may have access to the rules on this rather quickly, appreciate it.

Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85017 07/18/06 03:48 PM
J
Jim Gaither Offline
J
Take a look at Rule 26, especially Article 4. It appears to prohibit group, private instruction.

KSHSAA Handbook

Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85018 07/18/06 04:03 PM
B
bdisney1 Offline
B
Jim - I don't read Aricle 26 as prohibiting private instruction. You said "It appears to prohibit group, private instruction." I agree on group but not private.

Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85019 07/18/06 04:12 PM
parkwayred Offline
It is my understanding that rule does not apply as long as their respective high school "coach" or "coaches" are not present at any time during the clinic while school is in session. If the wrestling room for example were an "open" room to anybody not just team members, then this would not be a problem. I wish I still had an e-mail that Mr. Bowden had sent to our freestyle group before school was out of session; he explained it very plain and simple. I would suggest dropping him a line on this question... seeing how he would be the one ruling on any said violations. rbowden@kshsaa.org

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85020 07/18/06 04:43 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
My understanding was that a high schooler could not recieve any outside coaching from someone other than his high school coach. I could very easily be wrong though.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85021 07/18/06 05:06 PM
J
Jim Gaither Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by bdisney1:
Jim - I don't read Aricle 26 as prohibiting private instruction. You said "It appears to prohibit group, private instruction." I agree on group but not private.
Agree, I mis-spoke/typed. Should have said group instruction outside of regular HS team practices.

Curtis, private, one-on-one instruction seems to be allowed.

Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85022 07/18/06 05:11 PM
B
bdisney1 Offline
B
Rule 26
Article 1: A student may receive instruction frm their parent(s) at any time.

Aricle 2: A student may receive private instruction at any time of the school year.

Article 3: Other individuals can attend the private instruciton in a supporting capcity

Private instruction = 1 coach and 1 student

Group = 2 or more students w/ 1 or more coach (probhibited).

Supporting capacity - participating w/o giving instruction or in a competitive situation.

Article 4: A student cannont participate in group training (in season)

Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85023 07/18/06 06:30 PM
parkwayred Offline
"Coach" meaning their respective "High School Coach" or paid or unpaid "rule 10 assistants" that were under contract with the school that the kid wrestled for. If I'm not mistaken... Mike asked could a high school wrestler could attend a camp or clinic with Coach Purler (I’m guessing here) even if some of his teammates were present... I say yes! As long as the Derby "Coaches" were not in the facility during the clinic sessions. During the season which are measured between week whatever to week whatever, only their school Coaches could have contact with them, Unless it’s the dead week over Christmas then somebody else “ Coach” could have contact with the group as long as it was not on school property. I still say ask Mr. Bowden… But this is the way I understood his rule interpretation.

I know Barry your a legal eagle but I think your over analyzing the meaning

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85024 07/19/06 02:24 PM
Jumbo_Sport Offline
I wouldn't view a clinic or camp outside of the wrestling season any different than I would view FS/GR practices/tournaments. Since KSHSAA sees folkstyle, FS, & GR as the same sport, the wrestlers cannot be coached by their high school coach outside of the season, but they can go to other schools and get instruction from other coaches. It looks like the debate here may be what occurs during the season. And, from what I understand from Art. 4, during the season, the only outside training an athlete can participate in, is private, one-on-one sessions. Art. 2 states that private, one-on-one training is allowed at any time during the school year.

Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85025 07/19/06 02:57 PM
B
bdisney1 Offline
B
First - the only prohibition is if the clinic or outside practice is "in season". If not then there may be some prohibition against high school coach/wrestler contact but there would be no restrictions on the wrestler. He could do whatever he wanted.

Second - if it is in season then the high school coach obviously can't be involved in any clinics, etc.. But what about a wrestler from High School A attending a clinic with a wrestler from High School B? I don't think it is over analyzing it by any means to conclude that under the KSHAA rules that if wrestler A and wrestler B work out together (as often happens at clincs) then there has been a violation of the rules.

You may be okay on a clinic if the only wrestlers present were from one high school (but I would want some ruling by KSHAA. But as I read it you certainly have problems with muliple wrestlers from multiple high schools attending one clinic.

I wish it weren't so but that is how I read it.

Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85026 07/19/06 04:08 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
I contacted Bowden and others year before last regarding the clinic we did in season, to benefit Tyler Graebner. We had numerous coaches there, as well as Danny Hodge and College Wrestlers. I was told that for a High School Wrestler to attend it would be a violation of the rules.

It is one of those things I never quite understood, but when asking about the boys just attending, not getting on the mat and only watching I was again told, it would be a violation of the rules.

Now unless things have changed that I what I was informed of at the time. I would recommend each person ask the question directly if looking at doing something like attending a clinic in season. I will, and will have something in writing to support the decision in case someone were to later on say it was a violation of rules.

Re: High School Rules on Clinics #85027 07/19/06 04:15 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 186 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)