Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85209 09/22/06 02:16 PM
parkwayred Offline OP
OP Offline
After speaking to a close personal tie… this the way the college boys do it:

1. No caffeine products what so ever for three days prior to testing (coffee, tea or the killer Red Bull) continue to drink nothing but water!
2. No supplements what so ever for 3 days prior to testing
3. Be two to three pounds under the weight you want to test at Alpha or certification.
4. Drink at least two litters of water within 4 hour of testing.
5. Piece of cake on the hydration tests… no problems or no worries.

And I don’t mind the decent plan either, after fat testing they are given a print out of exactly what they can weigh on any give day of the season. With a minimum weight to top it all off. You would be surprised how weight they will let you lose depending on your body composition. The neat thing is that it is all mapped out for the duration of the season. You can only certify on the date it says your weight can be there. Fully hydrated!

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85210 09/22/06 02:23 PM
B
bdisney1 Offline
B
I sent an email to "Egg" (i.e. Gregg Mann) to make sure I understood the hydration testing. With wrestling season approaching we thought it would be helpful to put the questions I asked and Mr. Mann's answers on the talk forum. Here it is:

Mr. Mann – I was reading your comments on the wrestling forum about hydration. Soon teams will start having a preseason meetings with their wrestlers and parents. I want to be able to clearly explain the new hydration test if asked. Would you please check the following to make sure it is correct?

1. On the first day of practice wrestlers will give a sample of their urine. It will be examined next to a color chart. If clear enough then the wrestler will be deemed “hydrated” and allowed to weigh in to get a base weight. If not clear enough then a dip strip will be placed in the urine to see if other factors colored the urine and not dehyration. If the dip strip shows hydration then the wrestler may weigh in. If the urine doesn’t pass the dip strip then the wrestler must drink some fluid and submit another urine sample until the urine passes the hydration test. Once this is done he may weigh in?

"This is correct. It is very important to note that the did stick will NOT indicate what is in the urine, only if the urine is composed of a high enough level of water."

2. Once this “hydrated weight” is established then the rules are the same as always about how much weight a wrestler can lose (no more than 10% of the hydrated weight unless medically cleared)?

"For 2006-07 this is correct. In 2007-08 there will be a fat test component added to the hydration test. We hope that the 10% rule can be “fitted” to the fat test component—but that is also still being worked on."

3. Certification of weight will take place on or before January 12th. This must also be a “hydrated weight” as described in 1 above?

"Correct. There was one change made by the KSHSAA Exec council from the committees original proposal. The committee had recommended that certification could take place at any time prior to January 12, that it did not have to be at a competition weigh-in. The Exec committee did not approve this recommendation and certification must occur at a competition weigh-in, but it can be a home weigh-in; that is, the opposing team(s) need not be in attendance."

4. Once certificatio weight is established there will be no more hydrated weigh ins (ex: a state)?

"Correct."

Mr. Mann also added: "The new KSHSAA wrestling manuals should be out soon and it will contain the hydration plan."

Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85211 09/22/06 02:25 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Seems to me that a descent plan is not needed at all if:

(a) a wrestler's minimum weight is established based on a hydrated fat test;
and
(b) the certified weight must be a hydrated weight.

It should not make any difference if a wrestler is a pound too heavy or too light on any specific day.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85212 09/22/06 02:29 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Egg is spelled with two g's, but Greg Mann spells his name with one!

Like Red's advice on fluids to avoid. Soda pop needs to be added to the list of fluids with caffiene to avoid. Don't like the idea of losing more weight than is necessary for alpha, but know that this will be done so fluid can be added, if necessary, to get hydrated.

If wrestler can stay away from caffiene for three days, maybe they should try to stay away ALL season. They will be amazed at how much better they feel.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85213 09/22/06 03:13 PM
parkwayred Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for including soda pop! My suggestion is to stay on strictly water prior to the test. This is what they (college guys) were advised by the team physician. The decent plan is based on they can certify on any given day up to qualifiers. Like most guys they will challenge all the way through the season for varsity time at the given weight for that prematch weigh in. They are trying to establish what weights that they can wrestle all season from start to finish. You may do time at higher weight for one set of duals then a lower weight a couple of weeks down the road. The NCAA approves the print out.

I would have to agree with Egg on the fact for a HS kid to be under his normal alpha weight by a couple pounds would be self-defeating based on the 10% rule. If your really fat then most physicians will release you any way if you have the weight to lose. To the older guys it’s all a numbers game.

Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85214 09/22/06 04:24 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
updated Q&A

I sent an email to "Egg" (i.e. Gregg Mann) to make sure I understood the hydration testing. With wrestling season approaching we thought it would be helpful to put the questions I asked and Mr. Mann's answers on the talk forum. Here it is:

Mr. Mann – I was reading your comments on the wrestling forum about hydration. Soon teams will start having a preseason meetings with their wrestlers and parents. I want to be able to clearly explain the new hydration test if asked. Would you please check the following to make sure it is correct?

1. On the first day of practice wrestlers will give a sample of their urine. It will be examined next to a color chart. If clear enough then the wrestler will be deemed “hydrated” and allowed to weigh in to get a base weight. If not clear enough then a dip strip will be placed in the urine to see if other factors colored the urine and not dehyration. If the dip strip shows hydration then the wrestler may weigh in. If the urine doesn’t pass the dip strip then the wrestler must drink some fluid and submit another urine sample until the urine passes the hydration test. Once this is done he may weigh in?

"This is correct. It is very important to note that the dip stick will NOT indicate what is in the urine, only if the urine is composed of a high enough level of water."

Hydration/alpha weigh-in will be allowed during the buffer week, prior to the start of wrestling season; this is so practice time does not have to be used.

An athlete must have a hydrated alpha weight before they are allowed to practice.

2. Once this “hydrated weight” is established then the rules are the same as always about how much weight a wrestler can lose (no more than 10% of the hydrated weight unless medically cleared)?

"For 2006-07 this is correct. In 2007-08 there will be a fat test component added to the hydration test. We hope that the 10% rule can be “fitted” to the fat test component—but that is also still being worked on."

3. Certification of weight will take place on or before January 12th. This must also be a “hydrated weight” as described in 1 above?

"Correct. There was one change made by the KSHSAA Exec council from the committees original proposal. The committee had recommended that certification could take place at any time prior to January 12, that it did not have to be at a competition weigh-in. The Exec committee did not approve this recommendation and certification must occur at a competition weigh-in, but it can be a home weigh-in; that is, the opposing team(s) need not be in attendance."

4. Once certificatio weight is established there will be no more hydrated weigh ins (ex: a state)?

"Correct."

Mr. Mann also added: "The new KSHSAA wrestling manuals should be out soon and it will contain the hydration plan."

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85215 09/22/06 08:33 PM
lookwhosback Offline
Egg:

When Alan Beste presented this plan to us at rules meetings in Iowa last year, it was obvious he'd have rather been in a room full of snarling tigers than with a bunch of ticked off high school wrestling coaches. The poor guy was just the messenger for something I really don't think he agrees with.

Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85216 09/22/06 08:58 PM
M
master blaster Offline
M
Maybe this was covered and I missed it, but do the wrestlers get the extra 2lbs after certifacation or after the Jan 12 date, or is the 2lbs allowance a thing of the past?

Who run Bartertown!
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85217 09/23/06 03:04 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
There will still be a 2 lb. growth allowance after Jan 12.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85218 10/02/06 01:45 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
The following was contained in the Minutes of the KSHSAA Executive Board Meeting held on Tuesday, September 12 & Wednesday, September 13. Not all of the minutes have been reproduced here, only that portion dealing with the implementation of the hydration assessment.

"Assistant Executive Director Rick Bowden provided Executive Board Members with a report and recommendations from the spring meeting of the KSHSAA Wrestling Study Committee. . . Following Mr. Bowden's presentation and additional discussion the Board voted unanimously to adopt the following components of a weight management plan for the 2006-07 senior high wrestling season:

1. All wrestlers must pass a hydration assessment before being allowed to establish their baseline weight (alpha weight) prior to being permitted to practice with the team.

2. All wrestlers must pass a hydration assessment when establishing their certification weight. Certification weigh-ins will only be permitted during a weigh-in for a competition.

3. All wrestlers must complete weight certification no later than Friday, January 12, 2007. Wrestlers not certifying by that date become ineligible for further competitions.

The KSHSAA will purchase materials and assemble hydration assessment kits for each member senior high school competing in wrestling. Kits will contain sample collection cups, color charts and specific instructions for school personnel to conduct proper hydration assessments. Schools may also use refractometers if they are available.

In addition to hydration assessment materials, KSHSAA staff is working . . . to develop new information on proper nutrition for young athletes who are involved in weight control and weight loss. All wrestling schools must give increased attention to this important aspect of the overall weight management program."

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85219 10/02/06 02:12 PM
parkwayred Offline OP
OP Offline
Egg were you a party to why the KSHSAA did not follow the recommendations of the committee to allow certification any time and not only for a “competition weigh-in”.
This could pose some problems trying to get out of the building on time on a Saturday morning or even having a JV kid ready to go if somebody doesn’t make hydrated weight.

Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85220 10/02/06 03:02 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Red, I was not at the exec meeting so cannot give you the "without a doubt" reason as to why the committee made a change in that portion of the recommendation. However, it is my understanding that the Exec Board saw the "any time" provision as being administratively burdensome.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85221 10/04/06 04:25 PM
C
ccushenbery Offline
C
Does anyone know if the Kansas rules are going to include the 1.5% descent plan?

I understand the reasoning behind it and I am not totally against it (other than the amount of paperwork it will create) but I think it might be a little unfair to the heavyweights. If I am reading the rule correctly, It would take a 285 lb wrestler about 6-7 weeks to become eligible to wrestle if they weighed in at their max alpha weight. Any other wrestler can simply wrestle up a weight class and still be allowed to participate, but this is obviously not the case for the heavyweights. Has there been any discussion about this?

Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85222 10/04/06 07:00 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
MC Delta T: Kansas has NO plans to adopt the 1.5% descent plan. At this time our current 10% weight loss rule will be our descent plan. When fat testing is added to the mix in 2007-08 we hope to be able to continue the use of the 10% rule; no doubt will require some modifications. That is to be worked on this year.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" #85223 10/04/06 08:12 PM
C
ccushenbery Offline
C
Thanks for the info Egg.

Re: New for 2006-2007 season "Hydration testing" [Re: ccushenbery] #94374 10/11/06 11:43 PM
parkwayred Offline OP
OP Offline
First of all the new forum look is weird!

Here is some intresting reading and concept to hydration testing.

http://www.nhsca.com/sports_wrestling.php

Mat side Weigh-in

by Tony DiGiovanni, Head Wrestling Coach, Solon High School, Solon, OH (27 year head coach).

This commentary is in support of a simple mat side weigh-in which would absolutely ensure the safety of all competitors. It has proven to be impossible for wrestling*s governing bodies to eliminate dehydration. It still occurs at every level, including the NCAA, even after installing hydration testing.

However, the National Federation Rules Committee can eliminate re-hydration by installing a mat side weigh-in. This procedure would render dehydration useless because you cannot wrestle dehydrated unless you have time to re-hydrate.

In the mid 1990s, amateur wrestling sustained a blow that threatened its very existence. The tragic fatalities of three college wrestlers shook the wrestling community and focused all eyes on the sport of wrestling rather than the circumstances that caused the unfortunate events. Wrestling, the world*s oldest sport, had never sustained a weight related death before these incidents. What went wrong?

It was extreme dehydration, linked with creatine use, combined with 24 hour weigh-ins, and only one weigh-in per weekend that allowed such a harmful abuse to occur.

The new hydration and body composition procedures are an administrative and logistical nightmare. It is costly, time consuming and rife with corruption and deceit at every level. At the core of this situation is the traditional belief among the wrestling community that it is not cheating as long as you make weight.

The only truly safe, fair and immediately effective system is to instate mat side weigh-ins. The key to its effectiveness is not only its simplicity, but its ability to eliminate all the *methods* used currently in the college programs at the start of the season to fool the test/testers in order to drop another weight class. More importantly, mat side weigh-ins will also eliminate the weekly bouncing of extreme weight that still occurs within the current NCAA system.

With a mat side weigh-in, athletes will police themselves. Even small amounts of dehydration or weight control abuse will dramatically reduce their ability to perform. This is the ultimate correction for our sport. Wrestlers would consistently develop and maintain more healthy dietary habits throughout the season as well as throughout the year.

The one hour weigh-in rule has proven to be an effective method to protect kids but we know that a significant amount of re-hydration can occur in that one or more hours before their individual match. Mat side weigh-ins would eliminate all re-hydration and thereby eliminate any significant dehydration.

Problem solved. No need for a costly mandate requiring state officials to spend inordinate amounts of their time managing an unpopular program that rewards cheating, deceitfulness and the knowledge and ability to beat the system.

If you question the truthfulness of this commentary, talk to 10 NCAA wrestlers and I can promise you at least 10 different ways to beat the system. In addition, almost all of them will tell you that the test is beaten by any wrestler who wants to beat it.

The key to mat side weigh-in is that the wrestler himself will not want to cut weight incorrectly. We all know that you cannot wrestle a match when you are dehydrated.

Please do not subject our nation*s high schools to this *knee jerk reaction* proposal. I would hate to see high school athletic and education department administrators use this additional program*s cost and associated administrative difficulties as a reason to eliminate our sport from small, rural, large, or inner-city high schools whose budgets are already stretched to the limit.

Let*s get the fans and parents more involved. Take the secrecy out of weigh-ins. The media, fans and family will no longer sit in the stands and swear that *that boy can*t weigh 103 lbs.!* They will see it with their own eyes.

Proposed mat side weigh-in (MW) vs. Current hydration testing (HT)

MW - Truly safe, no time to re-hydrate, eliminates dehydration, dramatically reduces weight bouncing...HT - Somewhat safe, allows re-hydration time, allows weekly weight bouncing

MW - Zero cheating...HT - Uncontrolled Cheating

MW - Easy "total" enforcement...HT - Impossible to uniformly and fairly enforce

MW - Fair to all participants...HT - Unfair because every trainer, doctor, coach, and site are different

MW - No paperwork...HT - Unmanageable paperwork

MW - Fan, media, and family involvement...HT - Public relations nightmare

MW - Cost effective, no cost...HT - Costly

MW - Promotes healthy dietary lifestyle...HT - Promotes some re-hydration, 1-3 hours

MW - Understandable and exciting addition...HT-Complicated and discourages involvement

It is my sincere conviction that the one hour weigh-in has demonstrated its ability to protect our high school athletes.

However, it is evident that some wrestling executives felt a compelling legal responsibility to do more, and it is clear their current dog and pony show is not designed to protect athletes from rampant, continued dehydration/ re-hydration.

Its purpose is to generate income at the expense of financially depleted high school programs and eliminate any potential legal responsibilities.

IF MORE MUST BE DONE, and I*m not sure that is the case, then let*s do the only right thing: For the SAFETY of the kids*For the SANITY of the coaches* and For the SECURITY of wrestling in the future.
MAT SIDE WEIGH-INS: AN OLD IDEA WHO'S TIME HAS COME!
If you support Mat side Weigh-in, please voice your opinion to your state wrestling coaches association, state high school athletic association, as well as posting your thoughts on wrestling forums and websites. We must take action and do what is best for high school wrestling, before it is too late.

Last edited by parkwayred; 10/11/06 11:44 PM.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 116 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)