Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85542 09/13/06 07:52 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
http://super32challenge.ncmat.com/entries_list_paid.php?ob=state

(All entries that are unpaid that have been paid will be entered manually within 48 hours typically of receiving payment) Several entries on day one.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85543 09/14/06 02:16 AM
S
Super32Challenge Offline
S
Aldon Isenberg will be joining him. We would love to have more KS guys onboard!

250+ have already registered today since we opened up registration! Don't be left out before the tournament closes up!

Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85544 09/14/06 08:35 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Super32Challenge:
Aldon Isenberg will be joining him. We would love to have more KS guys onboard!

250+ have already registered today since we opened up registration! Don't be left out before the tournament closes up!
Cool, I heard the rumor and that is nice to hear. Gardner-Edgerton wrestlers going out that way to NC...maybe we could get a caravan or something if we have enough people we could just get a Camper-trailer or chartered buss to Greensboro.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85545 09/14/06 08:07 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Cokely from Eudora has entered the middle school division.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85546 09/15/06 01:35 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
Too bad that's the last ACT day before the season starts!

Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85547 09/15/06 08:27 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Take it after season then...I think Tristen Deshazer took it during this summer, and now he's onto DI.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85548 09/19/06 09:29 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I know most big men are out for football, but with only 8 guys registered in the 285lb weight class right now, it would be a shame for one of our big guys that isn't out for football (ALEX THOMAS perhaps) to make the trek and try to win a very nice championship belt. Then again, weigh-ins are a day after what will be the last game of the season for many, so maybe you can register just in case, and if they still have an opening come that late (highly doubtful) you can pay then?!

Let's get some big boys out there!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85549 09/19/06 07:38 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Some of the Names from other places coming to the Super32 thus far (this was taken off an Ohio forum)

103: 2 state champs
112: 6 state champs; leading names: Grajales (Brandon FL), Williams (Tabb VA), Spjut (The Woodlands TX), Snyder (Lewistown PA)
119: 7 state champs; leading names: Hofer (Ponderosa CO), Sentes (Riverdale FL), I Squires (Christianburg VA), Coulas (Ocean Twp NJ), Mitchell (Parkview GA), T Siliver (Bishop Lynch TX); Ohio kid: Flores (Eastwood)
125: 2 state champs; leading names: Cozart (Brandon FL), FIELDS (Lakota West), Garnett (Caravel Academy DE), RINI (Mass Jackson), Oliver (Toms River NJ), Fields (Parkview GA); Ohio kids: Fields, Rini
130: 5 state champs; leading names: Dozier (Cox VA), KOLODZIK (Miami Valley), K Timothy (Brandon FL), GAMBILL (Miami East), M Peppelman (Central Dauphin); Ohio kids: Kolodzik, Gambill
135: 2 state champs; leading names: Casady (Broomfield CO), Murray (Bound Brook NJ), Ortenzio (Cedar Cliff PA), SPICEL (Brunswick); Ohio kids: Spicel
140: 5 state champs; leading names: L Silver (Bishop Lynch TX), Miles (Christianburg VA); Ohio kids: McGillvary (Miami East)
145: 4 state champs; leading names: Banks (Union Grove GA), Clement (Christianburg VA), C Cuthbertson (Scottsboro AL), Shuster (Big Spring PA); Ohio kid: Porter (Mason)
152: 8 state champs; leading names: K Cuthbertson (Scottsboro AL), Koepp (Bishop Lynch TX), Rakes (Christianburg VA), CUBBERLY (Eastwood); Ohio kids: Cubberly, Smyers (Norwayne)
160: 4 state champs; leading names: Bennett (Rockford MI), Condon (Harrison GA), T Timothy (Brandon FL)
171: 2 state champs; leading names: FOSTER (Eastwood); Ohio kid: Foster
189: 1 state champ; leading names: Oddo (Eastside SC), Jones (Dover DE), Weber (Christianburg VA), Siciliano (Ocean Twp NJ); Ohio kid: McGillvary (Miami East)
215: 2 state champs; leading names: Gardner (Christianburg VA)
275: 0 state champs

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85550 09/19/06 08:01 PM
voice of reason Offline
It is great that you are promoting this event, but it would be especially nice if one that is much closer to home was promoted half as much. Two in particular, one Bishop Lynch is hosting and another the week before hosted by Blue Chip. One would almost think one has alternative motives to promote this North Carolina Tournament with such veracity here in Kansas.

I guess my concern is the cost involved, for what it costs one wrestler to go to this tournament, they can go to two much closer.

Sincerely,

James
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85551 09/19/06 08:35 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by voice of reason:
One would almost think one has alternative motives to promote this North Carolina Tournament with such veracity here in Kansas.
Yeah, but we can't talk about that here.

Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85552 09/20/06 01:38 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
The Super 32 is a great tournament. I think Kansas kids should try to get involved in it for a couple of reasons. One of the biggest reasons is for recruiting. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but we don't have a lot of our good wrestlers going DI. It's hard to go to a DI school when you don't have the national publicity that some states are fortunate enough to have. Another reason is it would be a great chance for Kansas to prove itself on a national level. We do great at Fargo, but what other national caliber tourney do we send a lot of guys to and do well? I don't know of any.

And Swayz does have an alternative motive for promoting the tourney. He is trying to go up there to watch it, and hopefully I will be able to join him.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85553 09/20/06 03:16 AM
voice of reason Offline
So help me understand, are you saying the Bishop Lynch Tournament or the Fall Brawl in Kansas City isn't as good? I believe the Fall Brawl, in the Kansas City area, which is close to us, if given half of the attention some have given the Super 32, could do just as well for our wrestlers. I think I read on another forum that Fall Brawl had a great stacked tournament at certain weights last year with numerous state champions, national champions, and All Americans from Fargo, but I haven't seen the same level of promotion for it. Sorry but I believe in supporting first, those tournaments close to home. Then for those who can, after we get our home tournaments taken care of, maybe others around the country. While Super 32 may be a great tournament, I have reason to question the value for traveling there as opposed to a local tournament. True it may be a great tournament, but this is still wrestling and many have other financial obligations. When looking at those obligations, I believe there is more value in two or three local tournaments than there is a single tournament back east.

I was a supporter of Super 32 in the past, but would like to know why plans for a Kansas tournament fell through last year. Was it their fault or was it the fault of someone else in Kansas? Am I wrong in recalling there was talk of bringing one of their tournaments here last year? Whatever happened to that? You can't have it both ways, promise us one thing that falls through one moment and then expect us to take wrestlers back east the next.

Don't take this the wrong way Mr. Chenoweth, or Mr. Sweazy, but if making plans on going back east, I would certainly hope there are plans to attend local tournaments as well were we will certainly have a large number of Kansas Wrestlers attending, including those attending the Fall Brawl, or any other local tournament that may feature High School Wrestlers.

Regarding what other "National Tournaments" we send wrestlers to. I already answered that regarding The Fall Brawl, and I think we had over 100 wrestlers that attended Brute Nationals last year, along with many others to the Senior Nationals. If not mistaken, many of those wrestlers did quite well. Did either of you support the efforts to attend those two tournaments? Did you go? If so, great you are walking the talk, if not, I still have to question the reasoning for pushing Super 32 over more local tournaments, which obviously you did not recognize for their national level competition at least 2 other tournaments besides Fargo that Kansas HS Wrestlers attended. Don't take this wrong, but back to my point of finances, we didn't send anyone to any tournament to my knowledge, the families of wrestlers and wrestlers themselves had to pay for it, that is my point, value for the dollar, which I believe more falls in line with The Fall Brawl, Brute, and even this year Bishop Lynch tournament in Dallas on the same day as Super 32, and I have heard the Broken Arrow Tournament in Preseason is also an excellent tournament, all closer, all great tournaments with a lot of mat time, all cheaper to attend.

Sincerely,

James
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85554 09/20/06 03:30 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
The ulterior motive has more to do with an affair of the heart!

There was a trip to North Carolina in June and July to visit the co-director and a trip to Kansas by the co-director in July.

Quote:
Originally posted July 19, 2006 by Aaron Sweazy:
Well some of you may or may not know, but I'm heading there again (NC) Friday from Wichita...flight leaves around 7am...I get off work around 3am, so I'll be short on sleep. Hope to get some more information on the tournament, know they got some nice funds from the Greensboro Athletic Commission or something like that. I'll keep an update for those that are interested.
and

Quote:
Originally posted July 28, 2006 by Aaron Sweazy:
Sara from the Super32 is coming into town (Wichita) next Thursday night after work. Plans are to go to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater on FRIDAY, then take her to Eskimo Joes.

I'm going to have her bring some more information (maybe some merchandise) and possibly do a presentation about the Super32 while down in Stillwater at the HOF for those interested in winding down and rewarding themselves to wrestling history at the HOF, and maybe getting some information on flights, hotels, and other accomodations for the Greensboro area.

Those interested in going to the HOF next Friday, please email me. Thanks.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85555 09/20/06 03:49 AM
voice of reason Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:
The ulterior motive has more to do with an affair of the heart!

There was a trip to North Carolina in June and July to visit the co-director and a trip to Kansas by the co-director in July.

Quote:
Originally posted July 19, 2006 by Aaron Sweazy:
Well some of you may or may not know, but I'm heading there again (NC) Friday from Wichita...flight leaves around 7am...I get off work around 3am, so I'll be short on sleep. Hope to get some more information on the tournament, know they got some nice funds from the Greensboro Athletic Commission or something like that. I'll keep an update for those that are interested.
and

Quote:
Originally posted July 28, 2006 by Aaron Sweazy:
Sara from the Super32 is coming into town (Wichita) next Thursday night after work. Plans are to go to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater on FRIDAY, then take her to Eskimo Joes.

I'm going to have her bring some more information (maybe some merchandise) and possibly do a presentation about the Super32 while down in Stillwater at the HOF for those interested in winding down and rewarding themselves to wrestling history at the HOF, and maybe getting some information on flights, hotels, and other accomodations for the Greensboro area.

Those interested in going to the HOF next Friday, please email me. Thanks.
There is I expect more truth here than one may realize. That is ok just be honest about it. While that is good and wonderful, I suspect, I would recommend that if finances are tight for wrestlers and their families, stay close to home. Anyone know what a plane trip costs to this tournament from KC or Wichita? I suspect quite a bit. I would also suspect that the promise of a bus or car pool is as likely to come about as the posting of the Sutton Kern / Strawn video we were promised some time ago.

Sincerely,

James
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85556 09/20/06 03:55 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Yes I am walking the walk. If you look back I actually aided in the coaching of the Kansas kids that went to Brute. The thing is you can keep wrestling and keep wrestling the same kids over and over again, and it still be a tough tournament. But how many kids in Kansas can say they've wrestled east coast kids? Not nearly as many as possible, and believe it or not that does hurt recruiting. And I also am going to be trying to go to the east coast. One time for the super 32, and then another time to wrestle in a tournament for myself. And yes, I will be paying for that trip myself and getting there at my own expense. And if I can do it, as a broke college student, then I think high schoolers can too. The reason I'm making the trek, is it's a different kind of competition in that it's a different style of wrestling and you're seeing new faces. I know that some people can't afford to go, and that's fine. But they can do fundraising activities, as I did several myself in my younger days. It's all in a kids heart whether or not he's willing to dedicate hisself to the sport enough to raise funds for going to tournaments further away than normal ones. Being the best isn't just about having the best skills, it's about having the heart and desire to prove your the best and doing things other people don't do.

And yes, it is an affair of the heart for the Swayz. He loves wrestling, and in some peoples opinions it helped him beat cancer. He supports the sport of wrestling more than anyone I know. He goes to tournaments all throughout the year at many different places. Including the Jr. Duals. (we also made a road trip and went to the World Team Trials this summer) So there is no need to question his dedication to the sport. He promotes the entire sport of wrestling, not just the Super 32. If you look at some of his previous posts he promotes many different tournaments. Don't attack him for promoting one so far away.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85557 09/20/06 08:19 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by voice of reason:
It is great that you are promoting this event, but it would be especially nice if one that is much closer to home was promoted half as much. Two in particular, one Bishop Lynch is hosting and another the week before hosted by Blue Chip. One would almost think one has alternative motives to promote this North Carolina Tournament with such veracity here in Kansas.

I guess my concern is the cost involved, for what it costs one wrestler to go to this tournament, they can go to two much closer.
Blue Chips is the week prior and is being mentioned on another thread, for those that don't know Blue Chip and Super 32 are going to have a working agreement from my understanding to keep the tournaments on different weekends and advertise on each other's sites for future tournaments to make both better...now does that mean you'll boycott the Blue Chip?

As for Bishop Lynch, they are sending a slew of kids to the Super32...so should you boycott that tournament?! NO! Guys I don't know of all the offseason tournaments, I never wrestled offseason except 1 or 2 times at Sunflower State games.(Chapman is not very big in the FS/Greco stuff)

If you guys know about other tournaments and are complaining that they aren't being advertised or mentioned, then why don't you mention them and post about them and start a thread about them?

Super32 tournament's entries speaks for themselves, and if you get a plane ticket far enough in advance it won't cost you an arm and a leg. I've had flights out to NC on a weeks notice for under $280 with tax roundtrip...usually 21 days in advance is when you can get great deals. I'm sure if enough intrest was brought together to car pool it would happen.

Missouri, Colorado, and Oklahoma all are sending kids to the tournament, should we get on their forum and say boo to them? Look at some of the stellar names in the field of competition...nothing against some of the "local" tournaments, but I think you would only find some of these names at places like Fargo which depending on where you are coming from in Kansas could be just about as far as NC!

I know if any kid would want to go to the tournament all they would have to do is register now and fundraise...then they could pay later...if all the spots are filled, your money is returned. I know many people that would go out of their way to help a kid in wrestling that is fundraising to go to a tournament.

While more than likely I won't be in Texas for the Bishop Lynch tournament, I will try to make it to Black and Blue chip tournament. I was at Girl's State last year (glad to see all of you in attendance) and at FS/Greco state (better attendance there) and at the aforementioned World Team Trials (Glad to see 2 guys a girl and a pizza place attend).

I never had the opportunity many kids had to go to these big tournaments, but for those wanting me to give another option here it is:

KEN CHERTOW IN KANSAS...

That's right, if you don't have all the money in the world to go to the Super32 and COMPETE...stay home, learn some skill, and attend his camp he is conducting in Salina to go along with the Coach's/Official's clinic.

-----------------------------------------------

But for those that can find the money and the means to travel to compete on the mat and don't feel the need to hone their skills, and want to face some of the Nation's best in a state that boasts 7 DI wrestling programs where you might catch some coach's eye and become a future star in the "Big Leagues" then go to the SUPER32 and I'll see you there.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85558 09/20/06 12:46 PM
Mike Furches Offline
A few comments here, it always amazes me at how critical some can be, while at the same time not realizing what some have done for the sport, and for the wrestlers in Kansas. I’ll leave that at that except to say I have personal experience on this point.

My thoughts about Super 32 and to answer some of the things alluded to in an earlier post. There was discussion last year about Super 32 doing a tournament in Kansas. I wish I could answer the question as to what happened, but I honestly can’t. I believe part of the issue, as has been stated in the past, is there was some concern over criticism of Super 32 not being a USA Sanctioned or Certified tournament, and there was some flack as a result, or at least perceived concern. I don’t know if that had anything to do with the tournament not coming here or not, my hope is that there is still opportunity at some point to see a tournament of this caliber in this area.

Regarding Swayz or Chenoweth support of wrestlers and tournaments that are closer. I know for a fact, that these two have, at their expense helped out in the past at various tournaments, including Mid America where Swayz helped coach, and Curtis certainly was a huge help last year for the Brute Nationals team. Of all of the coaches, I think he was there more than anyone except for me, and was a tremendous help.

Does everyone, including, myself, Curtis, or Swayz go to every tournament? The answer to that is obviously no, but, it is important for each individual to pick and choose which tournaments they can go to. I really wanted to go to Super 32, remember this is the tournament close to my own home town and I have family not too far away. I still do want to go, but with the recent change in my own life, and families finance, I don’t believe it is going to be possible, again, you have to pick and choose. I do believe that next year and the year after, it will be critical to attend to provide the best opportunities possible for my son. The fact is, I would love to see my son, or any kid I coach, face the best competition possible, the other fact is that Super 32 for the lower weights is the toughest tournament in the country, bar none. I was looking at the entries this morning, I will tell you that for folkstyle, there is no doubt in my mind that 103, 112, and 119 are the toughest weights at any tournament in the country, including Fargo, by far! To go, compete, and have a chance to win this tournament will I believe assure you of a offer for college D1 wrestling, especially from 119 up. Is that, or should that be the primary goal of a wrestler? I can’t and won’t answer that, but I will say it is nice to have options and the more options the better.

Last note, it would be nice if everyone could raise funds, but again, you have to pick and choose. I will disagree with my friend Swayz and Chenoweth on this point. It is not as easy to keep raising funds as one may believe. I know, we have to do it and while we raised money for Fargo, we were still short. It is easier when one has family or roots in Kansas. Family tend to be the big supporters, but the other truth is that not all of us have families, and/or friends for that matter who have the finances, or knowledge of the sport enough to support it. I will be careful in how this comes out, and know that some who have blasted me in the past will choose to do so again, but from personal experience, I know of one young man who has never, repeat, never, had a family member outside of his parents and sister who has ever seen him wrestle or do anything for that matter. As far as most of his family members know, wrestling is a sport ran by WWE, or whoever the current group is on television.

I believe there is truth in both sides of this debate. Super 32 is a great tournament, and if at all possible, a wrestler that wants to increase their opportunity will go. On the other hand, we have to support those tournaments close to home. For those that can afford to do both, by all means do it, I personally know that Swayz and Chenoweth have done that in many more ways than some realize.

Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85559 09/20/06 05:12 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I just found out how to get some fairly inexpensive tickets to Greensboro, bottom line is, we are going, I just confirmed my airline tickets and paid for them. We are flying from Wichita to Greensboro, RT for about $150 each. It can be affordable with a little work. Any other Wizzers interested in taking me up on this or going along as a team, let me know, you know how to contact me. I also have a good lead on other expenses that will help out.

Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85560 09/21/06 08:21 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Here's some thoughts:

Ken Chertow Clinic- I believe that clinic will be beneficial to those who can attend and could even help the above average wrestler excel, I was just stating however that nothing quite beats competition...

Also let me mention that weekend prior is the Kansas Wrestling Hall of Fame Inductions Ceremony. If you live way out west, I believe it would be of great interest to help support and honor our inductees this year in Garden City for the HOF inductions which is on the weekend of the 21st-22nd of October.

If not into that and closer to KC, go to the Black and Blue Chip tournament that weekend, get out and do something wrestling.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: We have at least one Kansas guy registered for Super32 #85561 09/21/06 05:17 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Peters from Augusta is entered! More and more guys going. Good to see a 4a guy going. We got KC area and Wichita area covered, come on fellow statesmen...lets get some more!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 159 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)