Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd #96552 12/21/06 12:36 AM
L
LoveToWrestle Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I was outraged to see that Dan Gable didn't even make it in the magazine. The had tons of athletes including dog trainers and the only wrestler that made it in the magazine was a girl from Maryland. I mean all power to her, but Gable is one of the greatest wrestlers/coaches/athletes of all time. Only lost one match in college, didn't get a single point scored on him in the 1972 Munich Olympics, out scored his his opponenets in Olympic qualifing and Olympic matches 130-1. Compiled a 355-21-5 recored while coaching the Hawkeyes, while winning 25 consecutive Big Ten championships and 9 straight NCAA titles. Does this not just blow your mind?!?!

"Once you have wrestled, every thing else in life is easy." The One, The Only, Dan Gable.
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: LoveToWrestle] #96557 12/21/06 01:24 AM
jumpin jack flash Offline
Well I am definitely not renewing my SI subscription after this!! How can they not recognize this man? I hope SI calls and wants to know why I did not renew the same way ESPN magazie did after I cancelled their magazine when they put some bonehead soccer player on the cover and had a little artcicle about Lance Armstrong after winning his 7th straight Tour de France. Would love to give them a piece of my mind about their ignorance!

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: jumpin jack flash] #96562 12/21/06 02:06 AM
Ricky Bobby Offline
I know I'm canceling my subscription too, sorry little cusses think they can't put Ricky Bobby in their magazine.

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: Ricky Bobby] #96567 12/21/06 02:37 AM
chewie Offline
You're just too funny.

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: chewie] #96568 12/21/06 03:04 AM
D
Disney Offline
D
Was Dan Gable ever featured in the Faces in the Crowd section of the magazine? The whole point of SI that week was to cover the people who made Faces in the Crowd. I am sure Gable was in SI on many occssions but if he wasn't in Faces in the Crowd then whats the big deal? Am I missing something?

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: Disney] #96575 12/21/06 05:50 AM
Trego Wrestler Offline
Disney is right, their is a completly good chance that he wasnt in the faces in the crowd section when he was younger so that would mean he could not be mentioned in the faces in the crowd 50th aniversary magazine. Most of the wrestlers they have ever shown in faces in the crowd that i have seen have never made it big on the national scene. Billy Gabel from St. Francis was in it, and to take nothing away from his high school career he never made a splash on the national scene. I also think Bo Maynes was in it, but i could be wrong on that one, also another amazing high school career but never dominated the collegiate scene. I wouldnt blame anyone for can subscription for the simple fact that most years their coverage of the college national championship touney consits of them putting a picture of two guys wrestling in one of the first 10 pages of the magazine and telling who won that match and who won the overall tournament, now that would be a good reason to cancel. But if Gabel was in faces in the crowd back in the day and they didn't put him in their then i just wrote a really long post for no reason and feel pretty stupid right now.

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: Trego Wrestler] #96577 12/21/06 05:51 AM
W
wrestlingfan65 Offline
W
Just so everyone knows i wrote the last post thinking i was logged into my account, just got back home today and forgot that other people in this house are on the forum.

Jason Malay

So that makes you a Jewfin?
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: wrestlingfan65] #96578 12/21/06 08:13 AM
L
LoveToWrestle Offline OP
OP Offline
L
After Disney wrote that statement, I realized it was for highschoolers that got put in the magazine. But this last issue included all the people that have made the faces in the crowd. That being said, there should have been many more wrestlers mentioned. That girl was the only one mentioned from the past 50 years, which is ridiculous. Although, at that time, Dan Gable's collegiate status had no relevance, he was 64-0 in highschool and a 3 time state champ (because they didn't let freshman compete in state in those days) that should have still had some impact on the faces in the crowd. It is sad that wrestlers don't get the same recognition as those who participate in more well known sports, such as: Football, Basketball, Track and Field and pretty much any sport that is considered more popular than wrestling. It just shows how unappreciated wrestling is (through the thoughts of others). By the way, they showed all the athletes in every sport that has been in the faces of the crowd and there has only been one wrestler in the entire "legacy" of faces in the crowd! How does that make all you wrestlers that bust your aces feel?

Last edited by LoveToWrestle; 12/21/06 08:39 AM.

"Once you have wrestled, every thing else in life is easy." The One, The Only, Dan Gable.
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: LoveToWrestle] #96579 12/21/06 08:36 AM
L
LoveToWrestle Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So Trego Wrestler, just to show you're wrong, they have a list of the number of people, from each sport, who have been in the faces of the crowd and we are among (Beer-Barrel Throwing, Bridge Walking, Camel Racing, Coal Carrying, Contour Plowing, Cow-Calling, Cow-Chip Tossing, Dominoes, Farming, Gin Rummy, Go (board game), Hog Calling, Kite Flying, New Frontiesman, Othello, Outboarding, Parasailing, Parks, Pente, Pillowfighting, Plowing, Pogo Stick Jump Roping, Pulling Contests, Pull-ups, Refereeing, Rogue (Croquet & Billiards), Roller Hockey, Roller Pigeons, Rope Climbing, Sardine Suffing, Scrabble, Sculing, Skeleton, Sledding, Skysurfing, Special Olympics, Sports Fan, Sports Publicity Director, Sports Wife, Sportswoman, Street Hockey, Surfacsiting, Swamp Buggy, Tobacco Spitting, Trucking, Turkey Calling, Wakeskating, Wildlife Agent, Wildlife Biologist, Winter Triathlon, Underwater Hockey, Wiffle Ball) THAT ALL HAVE ONE ATHLETE LISTED FOR THAT SPORT, NOT TO MENTION I LEFT OUT ABOUT 20. WHAT DO YOU ALL HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!! It is ridiulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: LoveToWrestle] #96580 12/21/06 12:16 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
I don't know what magazine you guys read. There's been several more wrestlers in the magazine than just 1. There's been more than that from Kansas even! I remember when I saw Earl Jones in it, and if Billy Gable was in it theres 2, Bo Maynes puts it up to 3, just from Kansas. If you look in the back of that certain magazine it breaks each sport down, and I don't believe wrestling had only 1 wrestler.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #96581 12/21/06 12:44 PM
The Chicken Choker Offline
Chris Bollin from Imac High School made it in 1985. He won the Jr. World title in Freestyle and the year before took 3rd. in the World. They came to his farm house in Leavenworth Ks. and did the story.

its me and you tonight rosie palm
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: The Chicken Choker] #96585 12/21/06 01:25 PM
parkwayred Offline
I would like to know more about the "pillow fighting" this sound like it could be interesting! I need details!

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: parkwayred] #96587 12/21/06 03:18 PM
Beeson Offline
This is nothing new. If you learned anything from wrestling, it should be that life is not fair. You wrestle hard put it all on the line and F&%@ everyone else. Do it because you love to wrestle, because wrestling never has and never will be a high profile sport. So quit crying, you're starting to sound like a bunch of roundballers.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: Beeson] #96588 12/21/06 03:58 PM
W
wrestlingfan65 Offline
W
Well like i said it was me not Tregowrestler my little brother who wrote that message so if some how you proved me wrong which im not sure you did at any point in your ranting and raving post, then im the one with the red face. Billy Gabel was in their for sure i remember that, i just wasnt sure about Bo Maynes, and i know their have probally been plenty of good wrestlers in faces in the crowd i just couldnt think of many that had ever made it so when i put that i was expecting to be proved wrong. On to my third point, i did not realize beer-barrel throwing was a sport because if it is me and my friends might have been competing at a olympic level for the last couple of years, haha. Anyway just thought i would clear those things up a little. Thanks

Jason Malay

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: wrestlingfan65] #96589 12/21/06 04:30 PM
D
Disney Offline
D
I actually thought that particullar issue was pretty interesting. I agree that SI needs to cover wrestling more. I would much rather read about wrestling over horse racing, car racing or hockey. But it was interesting seeing pictures of some of the pro's when they were younger. Who knew that Terry Bradshaw set a national high school record for the javelin?

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: Disney] #96591 12/21/06 04:51 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Hey the blond bomber was a bad dude

Coach Peterman

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the C [Re: wrestlingfan65] #96600 12/21/06 06:47 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Originally Posted By: wrestlingfan65
Well like i said it was me not Tregowrestler my little brother who wrote that message so if some how you proved me wrong which im not sure you did at any point in your ranting and raving post, then im the one with the red face. Billy Gabel was in their for sure i remember that, i just wasnt sure about Bo Maynes, and i know their have probally been plenty of good wrestlers in faces in the crowd i just couldnt think of many that had ever made it so when i put that i was expecting to be proved wrong. On to my third point, i did not realize beer-barrel throwing was a sport because if it is me and my friends might have been competing at a olympic level for the last couple of years, haha. Anyway just thought i would clear those things up a little. Thanks

I didn't intend to prove you wrong or rant and rave, was just proving that wrestlers have gotten a little more respect than the original poster thought.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: LoveToWrestle] #96601 12/21/06 07:11 PM
W
wrestlingfan65 Offline
W
Originally Posted By: LoveToWrestle
So Trego Wrestler, just to show you're wrong, they have a list of the number of people, from each sport, who have been in the faces of the crowd and we are among (Beer-Barrel Throwing, Bridge Walking, Camel Racing, Coal Carrying, Contour Plowing, Cow-Calling, Cow-Chip Tossing, Dominoes, Farming, Gin Rummy, Go (board game), Hog Calling, Kite Flying, New Frontiesman, Othello, Outboarding, Parasailing, Parks, Pente, Pillowfighting, Plowing, Pogo Stick Jump Roping, Pulling Contests, Pull-ups, Refereeing, Rogue (Croquet & Billiards), Roller Hockey, Roller Pigeons, Rope Climbing, Sardine Suffing, Scrabble, Sculing, Skeleton, Sledding, Skysurfing, Special Olympics, Sports Fan, Sports Publicity Director, Sports Wife, Sportswoman, Street Hockey, Surfacsiting, Swamp Buggy, Tobacco Spitting, Trucking, Turkey Calling, Wakeskating, Wildlife Agent, Wildlife Biologist, Winter Triathlon, Underwater Hockey, Wiffle Ball) THAT ALL HAVE ONE ATHLETE LISTED FOR THAT SPORT, NOT TO MENTION I LEFT OUT ABOUT 20. WHAT DO YOU ALL HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!! It is ridiulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No curtis i know you wernt the one trying to prove me wrong, lovetowrestle was, this might have turned into one of the most ridiculous forum arguments of all time, lmao. But anyway i know it wasnt you trying to prove me wrong. I think we can all agree on two things on this topic, this argument has become pretty stupid and also that sports illustrated could do a way better job of covering wrestling.

Jason Malay

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #96608 12/21/06 07:32 PM
N. Zahm Offline
You took the letters off my keyboard Curtis.

Re: Sports Illustrated- 50 years of Faces in the Crowd [Re: N. Zahm] #96621 12/21/06 10:27 PM
L
LoveToWrestle Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hey all, when I looked at the Breakdown by Sport last night I saw Wrestling but I was looking at Sumo Wrestling, one word was on top of the other and didn't notice it by glance. I just got home from work and checked it again and I don't know how I missed Wrestling, but We are 9th with 514 faces. Sorry all I made a big mistake! All day I was wondering how we only have one and that explains it. Once again sorry everyone, I am an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 112 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)