Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Zahm? #102074 02/18/07 05:47 PM
D
display name Offline OP
OP Offline
D
where was he at this weekend?

Re: Zahm? [Re: display name] #102077 02/18/07 06:03 PM
L
legrider_21 Offline
L
i dont know about Zham but while were on the subject where was Furches?

Re: Zahm? [Re: legrider_21] #102078 02/18/07 06:09 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Folks there will be plenty of athletes who for whatever reason did not wrestle this past weekend. I would suggest that rather than dragging each of them through the dirt on a public board that you use private messages, email, phone or word of mouth to answer any questions.

Re: Zahm? [Re: legrider_21] #102085 02/18/07 06:21 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: legrider_21
i dont know about Zham but while were on the subject where was Furches?

Both Zahm and Furches did not participate. These are private matters which do not need to be bantered about on an internet message forum.

You may contact Mike Furches at:

Mike@furches.org

and Larry Zahm at:

lzahm@nebraskamachine.com

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Zahm? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #102087 02/18/07 06:31 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Good point and well said Richard. Thank you.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Zahm? *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Dean Welsh] #102091 02/18/07 06:36 PM
W
wrasslinfan Offline
W
Post deleted by wrasslinfan

Re: Zahm? [Re: wrasslinfan] #102096 02/18/07 06:43 PM
A
A Petrie Offline
A
No one knows the whole story, so dont make assumptions and give certain wreslters a bad reputation.

Re: Zahm? *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: A Petrie] #102113 02/18/07 07:34 PM
W
wrasslinfan Offline
W
Post deleted by wrasslinfan

Re: Zahm? [Re: wrasslinfan] #102192 02/18/07 11:45 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Moderator, please delete this thread.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Zahm? [Re: Dean Welsh] #102202 02/19/07 12:18 AM
E
effwhyeye Offline
E
These are just kids. I'm sure you guys NEVER made any mistakes in your lifetime. If you don't have anything positive to write about, stay off the chat. Get a life while you're at it!

Re: Zahm? [Re: display name] #102225 02/19/07 01:52 AM
T
tommyt Offline
T
These are both great young men and for whatever reason they were not wrestling is there buisness. I know as a fan, everyone wants to speculate and wants to be in the know; but unfortunately it is none of our business until the families want us to know.

Believe me, I would like to know the whole story as much as the next person. I know I have made mistakes in my life and I have learned from them and I'm sure Nathan has and will too. I don't know what happened with Jake, but do not drag these great young gentleman down. I hope to see them back on the mat soon.

Please be respectful if you add to this topic.

Re: Zahm? *DELETED* [Re: display name] #102226 02/19/07 01:53 AM
T
tommyt Offline
T
Post deleted by tommyt

Re: Zahm? [Re: tommyt] #102232 02/19/07 02:29 AM
D
Defref Offline
D
Actually, folks, there is a lot of gossip in every aspect of life, including high school sports. We've lost any hope of keeping anything private by the invention of the internet in general and this type of board in particular. I don't know either one of these kids and could care less what they do or why they do what they do, but others do care, presumably because they are good wrestlers who get some attention because of their abilities. If they do good, they get attention and praise, if they do bad, they get attention, too. If they don't show up for regionals, people are going to want to know why. That's a fair question. If its an embarrassing situation, most everyone in their school is going to know about it, which means everyone connected to wrestling in the league is going to know, so that means about 1/4 of the state is going to know. And that's without this board getting involved.

It's not mean spirited or "wrong" to be curious. I could care less what happened to a couple of high school kids that caused them to miss regionals but that's just me...I'm just an official so I'll officiate whoever shows up to wrestle, makes no difference to me. But others have followed these kids
"careers" and are just naturally curious. And all the "keep it private" stuff does is make people even more curious. A couple of weeks ago there was a beer drinking episode that got some play, but once you knew it was drinking that was pretty much the end of it...keeping the mystery alive is what feeds the rumor mill. And its not "just their business" either...when they joined a team, filled a varsity spot, and agreed to follow team rules, they gave up the right to shield their activities from prying eyes. Granted, it might not be everybody else's business, but it sure does become the business of those that follow the sport.

Last edited by Defref; 02/19/07 02:31 AM.
Re: Zahm? [Re: Dean Welsh] #102239 02/19/07 03:06 AM
voice of reason Offline
Originally Posted By: dwelsh
Moderator, please delete this thread.

Agreed, at least have the decency to contact one of the emails given by Mr. Salyer.

Sincerely,

James
Re: Zahm? [Re: voice of reason] #102247 02/19/07 03:38 AM
B
Bill Rinkenbaugh Offline
B
I understand that people are curious and if they have followed "careers" they may have more interest, however, there is a thing called the Federal Education Rights of Privacy Act. That law really protects those facing disciplinary action from having the information released from the schools.
Please don't be disappointed if making those contacts results in comments similar to this student-athlete broke a team rule and appropriate disciplinary action was taken.
You may be disappointed in the decisions of the student-athletes that made an error in judgement, but I applaud the coaches and administrators that hold those student-athletes responsible for their actions. Hopefully it will pay off in positive decisions and rewards for all involved in the future.

Re: Zahm? [Re: Defref] #102270 02/19/07 09:11 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Defref
Granted, it might not be everybody else's business, but it sure does become the business of those that follow the sport.

While you may be an expert on mat rules interpretation you are certainly in unfamiliar territory on this subject.

As has been stated by Mr. Rinkenbaugh there are certain privacy matters to be considered and simply joining a team does not take away that right to privacy.

To be frank, it is NONE of YOUR business. Both of these athletes are minor children and there is NO need to drag their name through an internet mud hole.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Zahm? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #102271 02/19/07 09:44 AM
Mike Furches Offline
Richard, again, in a public way, thank you. I will make the following comments and be done with it.

I am saddened to be making this post and am sickened by some of the comments I see continue to be made on these forums. I will say the following and will leave it at that. I will assure you there is much more to the situations that have been mentioned than anyone posting here has realized. It is unfortunate that the initial post on the Wichita Eagle message boards that specifically mentioned my sons name was made by a high school student at Derby, having serious issues of their own who in reality knew very little about the events in Garden City. I have emails with that individual and their name where they admit to making up most of the story. Of course I have had very few emails or phone calls asking for the truth, only reading and hearing about people making assumptions about my son on issues they simply don’t know. I know some who have made some of these comments, and started the “rumors”. As to why one would place their need to know over the needs of a minor child is beyond me, especially when the issues have been and are being dealt with. To know some of those people deeply saddens me because we thought some of those people were friends who would have at least had the decency to contact us, as opposed to having to contact others or speaking to others besides us. Nathan has been wrestling since he was 6 years old. It would likely be better to judge an individual based on what you have known of them over 10 years instead of what you think you know of them over the last 3 weeks. There is much more going on than many realize, unfortunately 80% of what has been said is untrue, and another 10% I hope Nathan has the opportunity to legally clear his name. Have there been mistakes? Yes, those have been addressed and dealt with; some will continue to be dealt with. Thankfully we have been in communication with Coach Ross and he has been wonderful through the whole situation. There have been other issues that have caused us to seek legal counsel; again, any real friends can contact us. There are issues like kids’ club coaches talking to officials and other coaches about Nathan mentioning things totally untrue. Unfortunately some don’t realize how their gossip and lies affect others. In an age where depression and suicide is so prevalent among High School students, some need to take into consideration the power of their words to make things worse for a kid, especially when spoken with a presumption they know the “truth” and “full story” of what happened. I will leave it at that other than to say, there are a lot of people, including my son that have done wrong. I suspect the stories will continue to get glamorized, that is sad, it is sad that at least on these message boards one is presumed to be guilty without ever having a chance to prove their innocence. It seems as if there are those who still prefer a public crucifixion, it is sad when that happens to people who don’t deserve it. People were willing to kill Jesus though, why should we expect anything different for a high school kid? There are a lot of perfect people willing to throw the first stone; personally, I hope I’m not one of them.

Re: Zahm? [Re: Mike Furches] #102274 02/19/07 10:27 AM
R
rdskns28 Offline
R
first off mike im sorry for what u and your son has gone through and unfortunately rumors are flying around pretty heavily. so much that my 10 yr. old son heard some of it and was little confused as he should be.by the way my son was fortunate enough to have met and wrestled with your son this past summer and looks up to him very much and i wish people would be more thoughtful and thank about what they say about those subjects before opening their mouths. this should be dropped for the remainder of the season and not brought up on this forum or any of the others

Re: Zahm? [Re: rdskns28] #102281 02/19/07 12:10 PM
A
abuhu0704 Offline
A
I did not see the posts that were deleted but from the posts that are still here it seems that people are a little sensitive. The innitial question was innocent. When the poster asked where Zahm and Furches were I don't think anyone was trying to drag their names through the dirt. For all they knew maybe they were injured, lost in a wrestle-off, or even sick. There are many reasons why a wrestler does not wrestle. Before going off on someone asking please realize they may have no idea of the situation.

Re: Zahm? [Re: abuhu0704] #102287 02/19/07 01:28 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: abuhu0704
I did not see the posts that were deleted but from the posts that are still here it seems that people are a little sensitive. The innitial question was innocent. When the poster asked where Zahm and Furches were I don't think anyone was trying to drag their names through the dirt. For all they knew maybe they were injured, lost in a wrestle-off, or even sick. There are many reasons why a wrestler does not wrestle. Before going off on someone asking please realize they may have no idea of the situation.

The initial post may or may not have been innocent as sometimes people ask questions just to stir the pot. The posts that were deleted certainly were not innocent and were deleted for good cause. The type of gossip that occurs on this board from time to time only lends itself for outsiders to view us as small town hicks. The point is, when I hear that a wrestler did not participate I am not going to come onto a public board and ask why for fear that the answer is a violation of that kid's privacy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)