Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Chase] #103248 02/26/07 06:03 PM
T
tksnkc Offline
T
Congrats, is wild that several of us said back in the early 90's that once they got the right coach and a solid kids program this program could have a dynasty. Now if that happens only time will tell. I believe their first state medal was in 89 to Geoooof Alderman. How times have changed.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: tksnkc] #103299 02/26/07 09:42 PM
W
wrasslinfan Offline
W
There is only one wrestling dynasty in kansas sta has awhile to match up with that i beleive 10 more years.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrasslinfan] #103317 02/26/07 11:13 PM
K
ksbevo Offline
K
Hey , BC will be there. You will have to go through BC.
Looking forward to the rematch.

Darrell K. Royal a man of honor.
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Chief Renegade] #103564 02/28/07 11:31 AM
Marbla Offline
 Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
 Originally Posted By: wrestler1086
I would have to say STA's education is better just in the fact that they can teach the teaching of Jesus! How govt can support schools that teach evolution (anti-religion), against the constitution, and not support private schools is bull. Good job STA you guys really cleaned house. I was glad to see someone besides Carrol win it.

Right on 1086,

When the public schools make it illegal to question evolution, you have to know they are hiding something. Mandating a theory that says there is no God violates the separation of church and state.

http://www.scienceprovesit.com

First of all, evolution does not say that there is no god. Evolution is not a religion; it does not require faith because it is testable.

To suggest that evolution is the antithesis of religion is irresponsible. Dr. Greg Graffin of Cornell headed a study to determine the degree to which the world's leading evolutionary biologists believe in traditional religion, naturalism, and the philosophical implications of their science titled "Evolution, Monism, Atheism and the Naturalist World View" concluded that there is "...no conflict between evolutionary theory and religion..."

Anywho, I'd like to congratulate STA on a championship.

I'm from Hutch, and I had the pleasure of watching their team really develop from 2000 to 2004, it's no wonder they're where they are now.

Seth Farley
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Marbla] #103568 02/28/07 12:32 PM
W
wrestler1086 Offline
W
How can you say it is not anti religion? It says that we developed from single celled organisms from the ocean. Uhh that pretty well sounds like they are saying there is not such thing as God. I could care less if they teach evolution I just think they need to teach some sort of creationism in there to. It is unconstitutional to teach one side of it and not the other. I would be just as apposed if they were to teach only creationism and not evolution.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestler1086] #103575 02/28/07 01:12 PM
Marbla Offline
Evolution does not promote nor denounce the existence of an all powerful god and therefor, does not infringe on the separation of church and state.

Evolution is not anti-religion because it has nothing to do with religion. Evolution is science. The Bible is religion. The purpose of science is to determine the mechanisms by which the universe operates - of which evolution is one. The purpose of religion is to determine the meaning the universe - its purpose for existence. Knowing that mankind evolved from apes does not give us any answers as to why we are here, it just informs us as to how we got here.

Last edited by Marbla; 02/28/07 01:15 PM.

Seth Farley
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Marbla] #103576 02/28/07 01:22 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Evolution means that things change over time. Yep. I agree. Things change over time. But, how did the things get here in the first place? This is where orgins come into play. This is also where religion comes into play. Some people make a religion of evolution by trying to have it account for something that it can't - namely orgins. To believe in evolution in regards to orgins requires FAITH (and therefore, it is a religion) because it is not testable. So, evolution can be a religion - it just depends on one's understand of evolution as it relates to orgins (how did all things get here in the first place vs. the simple and proveable fact that things change over time).

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestlingmom] #103578 02/28/07 01:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dwelsh you got it.
But what is sad is if you think about all the lives taken away in the (religion relm) it might suggest that the idea of putting one side against another could be looked at with a more open view of the controversy associated with religion.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: ] #103580 02/28/07 01:34 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Spirituality is cool. Religion sucks.

I could bore all with defining my terms, but i'll pass!

However, standard disclaimer for me - Jesus Christ is my Lord and died for my sins.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Dean Welsh] #103581 02/28/07 01:45 PM
Marbla Offline
Doing some research on your own will show that there are scads of hypotheses and theories in the evolutionary community as to the origin of life.

Here are some keywords to look up:
Abiogenesis
Panspermia
Astrobiology
Exobiology
Clay Theory

Of course, these hypotheses all have some criticism, but that's why they're hypotheses.

Methinks this is a discussion for the "other" section of this forum.

Last edited by Marbla; 02/28/07 01:50 PM.

Seth Farley
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Marbla] #103591 02/28/07 03:04 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
None of the above are proveable, therefore, at this point - they take faith. They are not science, at this point.

But agreed, this belongs in the 'other' section. I'm pretty much done with it anyway.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Dean Welsh] #103601 02/28/07 04:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how many lives have been taken in the name of religion
Now tell me where the devil lives,

You know Smokey Cabin is to blame for that team effort as much as any body.

At least no rumors of Dui's this year.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: ] #103604 02/28/07 04:20 PM
Mike Furches Offline
sounds like a discussion more appropriate for the other board. The evolution discussion that is.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestler1086] #103653 02/28/07 09:08 PM
Smyllll Offline
 Originally Posted By: wrestler1086
I would have to say STA's education is better just in the fact that they can teach the teaching of Jesus! How govt can support schools that teach evolution (anti-religion), against the constitution, and not support private schools is bull. Good job STA you guys really cleaned house. I was glad to see someone besides Carrol win it.

lol, evolution isn't anti-religion (many pro evolutionists are devout) it is just an explanation for how we became what we are. Gvnt support of private schools is a bs idea in its self. Private schools don't have to follow basic regulations set by the federal gvnt, thus they aren't public and don't deserve funding.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Smyllll] #103659 02/28/07 09:21 PM
A
Andy Hurla Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Although evolution isn't anit-religion, I would have to disagree that Private schools don't have to folow the same regulations. At STA all students have to take the Kansas Asessment as Juniors in order to certify that the education recieved is adequate according to the standards of both the state and federal GOVERNMENT.

Otherwise, a high school diploma recieved from a private institution would be worthless outside of the private institution, The same goes for home-schooled students. Although they are being home-schooled, there are still tests the kids must pass in order to verify they are recieving a proper education. If that weren't the case we could be learning the proper techniques of spitting a spitball at Aquinas and have the same diploma paper as anywhere else, and no one would know any better.

I hope that makes sense.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Dean Welsh] #103660 02/28/07 09:23 PM
Smyllll Offline
 Originally Posted By: dwelsh
Evolution means that things change over time. Yep. I agree. Things change over time. But, how did the things get here in the first place? This is where orgins come into play. This is also where religion comes into play. Some people make a religion of evolution by trying to have it account for something that it can't - namely orgins. To believe in evolution in regards to orgins requires FAITH (and therefore, it is a religion) because it is not testable. So, evolution can be a religion - it just depends on one's understand of evolution as it relates to orgins (how did all things get here in the first place vs. the simple and proveable fact that things change over time).

Facts (science) are the only LOGICAL evidence that explain our existence, some believe. Archeology proves evolution, so does basic biology, it is foolish to believe otherwise, some believe. Tens of thousands of scientists can prove mathematically or otherwise that our existence not only a product of evolution, but also that matter (everything, including us) has always existed (big bang theory), believing other seems naive to the mechanical mind.

If someone chooses to believe a book that has only the credibility of the paper it's written on, asinine. Analytical/Methodical people follow a credible source, science, no matter how religious they are, to help understand nature and the interactions that go on within.

The difference in people is in origin, where we originated from. Evolution explains how we "advanced" from subspecies, not how our material came to exist. Some believe that out matter came from a deity, others believe that our matter always existed (BB theory). One choice always seems more logical than the other, whether the person is rational to begin with is a completely different argument.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Andy Hurla] #103661 02/28/07 09:25 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Well said Mr. Hurla.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Andy Hurla] #103662 02/28/07 09:29 PM
Smyllll Offline
 Originally Posted By: Andy Hurla
Although evolution isn't anit-religion, I would have to disagree that Private schools don't have to folow the same regulations. At STA all students have to take the Kansas Asessment as Juniors in order to certify that the education recieved is adequate according to the standards of both the state and federal GOVERNMENT.

Otherwise, a high school diploma recieved from a private institution would be worthless outside of the private institution, The same goes for home-schooled students. Although they are being home-schooled, there are still tests the kids must pass in order to verify they are recieving a proper education. If that weren't the case we could be learning the proper techniques of spitting a spitball at Aquinas and have the same diploma paper as anywhere else, and no one would know any better.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes, they have to be accredited by the state to have validity. But to say that the only regulations the state are state testing isn't true. Besides Lemon vs. Kurtzman said the state or federal gvnt. cannot help finance parochial or otherwise religiously connected schools. It's worthless to argue something that's impossible for a school to obtain.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Smyllll] #103666 02/28/07 09:43 PM
A
Andy Hurla Offline OP
OP Offline
A
That is corrext, Smyll. I was not arguing that the government should fund private schools, I just wnateed to make it clear that private high schools, at least in Kansas, do have to adhere to the minimum regulations for education set by the government.

It is true that, as of now, it is against court precedent for the government to fund private high schools.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Andy Hurla] #103667 02/28/07 09:55 PM
A
Andy Hurla Offline OP
OP Offline
A
And the case you are refering to (Lemon v Kurtzman) has beeen clarified in other U.S. Supreme Court rulings since 1971 to allow for some Student aid to those enrolled in parochial schools, commonly in the form of a voucher.
This is from an article in the Cincinatti business Courier:

"The U.S. Supreme Court's new understanding distinguishes "student aid" from "aid to religious schools." Public aid to students at parochial schools is constitutional, Justice O'Connor explained, "where the aid is allocated on the basis of neutral, secular criteria that neither favor nor disfavor religion and is made available to both religious and secular beneficiaries on a nondiscriminatory basis."

These criteria confirm that the Constitution's First Amendment religion clause does not compel the exclusion of religious groups from government benefits programs "generally available to a broad class of participants."
You can find this article at http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/1998/08/31/editorial2.html

So perhaps the argument isn't worthless?

Last edited by Andy Hurla; 02/28/07 09:57 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 178 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)