Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zebras (Them dang referees) #103125 02/26/07 05:41 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Many people went about the state championships this past weekend recognizing the blood, sweat, and tears that the wrestlers and coaches displayed in the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Round by Round went by and always present were those in the officiating stripes. Often criticized and rarely praised, these individuals are selected as the best of the best in their line of work and take great pride in making the state tourament like any wrestler or coach would.

While you may disagree with a call, be a boo-bird in thinking your kid got robbed, or just down right not like those in stripes because you were bit by a zebra of the animal kind way back in 5th grade on a field trip to the local zoo, the fact is these people give it their all and are voted on by the coaches as the best.

I have been fortunate in the last 2 years to become close with the officiating crews at the 4a State Tournament and have been priveledged to know many of those honored to be officiating at the other sites. Behind the scenes they are some of the most knowledgeable and down to earth people in the world, a position most people don't have the luxary of seeing in person. To hear those of the stripe talk with pride about their own past wrestling experiences and how they came "so close" back in the day or about a coach that convinced them to give back to the sport in some way is awe inspiring.

So I just want to say in conclusion, to all my friends in the referee's uniform that gave not only their all this weekend but those who gave all season long and continue to give in kid's, freestyle, greco and so on.....THANK YOU!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #103167 02/26/07 02:31 PM
Shane Koranda Offline
Thanks!

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Shane Koranda] #103169 02/26/07 02:35 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
I thought that the crew at the 4A tournament did a great job. With all of the emotion, there will always be some controversy, but I think that it was a well called tournament.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Shelstin] #103344 02/27/07 12:55 AM
N
NCKL Fan Offline
N
I too thought the crew of officials did an excellant job at the 4A tournament in Salina. There were times when you had some disagreements, but over all they did a very good job. Also want to commend the staff from KSHSAA and everyone else who helped out to make this tournament an enjoyable experience. I understand that 4A state will return next year, and i for one am looking forward to returning next year.

Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Shelstin] #103359 02/27/07 02:08 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
I thought the officiating was great, with the exception of that big ugly ref! But that's to be expected from him nowadays...;)

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #103385 02/27/07 04:18 AM
Shane Koranda Offline
I don't think Robb Ross would like you talking about him like that Curtis! He might take a tad offense to that type of rude comment ;-)

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Shane Koranda] #103391 02/27/07 10:16 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
 Originally Posted By: Shane Koranda
I don't think Robb Ross would like you talking about him like that Curtis! He might take a tad offense to that type of rude comment ;-)

Agreed, he looked ok until he wore that UNK Shirt to a nice resturant! LOL ;\)

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #103603 02/28/07 04:17 PM
M
mudblower Offline
M
All this and more on The Good Ole Boy Network! I understand that refs can't be perfect. I have had to force myself to look at things through their eyes. I knew that I had to do that, or I would drive myself crazy. Most refs are doing their best to make the right call, but there are a few that have evidentally had sand kicked in their faces at some point in their life.

Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: mudblower] #103618 02/28/07 06:08 PM
G
grandad Offline
G

The ref at 4A state missed a call that should have been a pin, our boy still won the match but the refs need to start looking at defence pins, Hiawatha has a wrestler that has four defence pins this year and should have had one at state but the ref has never seen it and said so after the match and our coach was told that. Its just a ref did not see it or had never seen one. But I am not here to run any ref down they have a very hard job and over all do a great job, the only thing was the boy with that pin would have set the school pin record for a single year. Thanks to all the refs that were at state and keep up the good work.

Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: grandad] #103631 02/28/07 08:06 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
 Originally Posted By: grandad

The ref at 4A state missed a call that should have been a pin, our boy still won the match but the refs need to start looking at defence pins, Hiawatha has a wrestler that has four defence pins this year and should have had one at state but the ref has never seen it and said so after the match and our coach was told that. Its just a ref did not see it or had never seen one. But I am not here to run any ref down they have a very hard job and over all do a great job, the only thing was the boy with that pin would have set the school pin record for a single year. Thanks to all the refs that were at state and keep up the good work.

It's nice to have school records, but if the ref didn't see it (and I'm sure they have all seen defensive pins) then there is nothing you can do about it. I doubt if he would have went up before hand and told the ref that he was one away that the ref would have slapped the mat and said congrats, you are in the record books.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #103632 02/28/07 08:16 PM
usawks1 Offline
... and I don't know if that gaining defensive pins is something I would boast of. How many times do you have to be on your back to gain four defensive falls?

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #103637 02/28/07 08:31 PM
G
grandad Offline
G

Your very right about that but you have to remember there were two refs at matt side, as I said I think or better yet I know they do a great job its just a miss on there part and if you don't think refs miss calls then your not watching either.

Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: grandad] #103670 02/28/07 10:07 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
 Originally Posted By: grandad

Your very right about that but you have to remember there were two refs at matt side, as I said I think or better yet I know they do a great job its just a miss on there part and if you don't think refs miss calls then your not watching either.

They only miss calls when it doesn't go our way.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #103683 03/01/07 12:09 AM
G
grandad Offline
G

Aaren Sweazy sir your not reading all that I have written I said he won the match it was not a facter in the over all outcome but then again you write so much on here its hard for you to remember it all. realy your a great guy and I hope you don't get upset and sometime mabe we can set down and talk.

Re: Zebras (Them dang referees) [Re: grandad] #103706 03/01/07 02:21 AM
Coach Brown Offline
I do not think that any ref is out to take a match away from a kid, but they are only human too, and I realize this. I am not one to shy away from yelling at a ref if they miss a call in the heat of the moment, luckily I have only been dinged once in 3 years by a ref. And this is a ref I consider a very good one at that, so it was deserved and I felt like an ass. Now at the State Tourney at 152 I believe a second stalling call was warranted and I stated that after the fact. The head official, Ron Haag(someone I consider a damn good ref and a friend) was offciating and lots of people were saying "You got screwed" but I do not believe so. It is a judgement call and a tough one to make especially in the State Finals, this is why I am not a ref.

All coached should be required, in my highly-educated opinion, to be an offical once in their lives. I was for one, and only one, kids tournament in Hutchinson. My God, I learned to appreciate them all and to give them a break. I make it a point to go and discuss the calls after the match and apologize if I was acting stupid. The worst thing in the world is to have the refs think you are a bad guy!

Two years ago I had a wrestler, who has since never lost in Kansas, get DQ by a very consistent ref. I lost it, 5 penalties and he was gone. Now looking back on it I realize that what was the point, could it have changed anything, would it have made a difference-if anything it propelled this young man to greatness. For me I realized that the wrestler puts himself in the situation to have the match decided by the refs. I tell my kids don't let this happen! Keep your head on and realize that sometimes BAD LUCK JUST HAPPENS! They are human too and there is no replay.

Some would say the young crew at 321-A sucked it up, while it could always be better, it was what it was. A group of people who are born imperfect trying to officiate a group of young people who are born imperfect. We all make mistakes, some of us just make bigger ones on TV!

I am not trying to sound high and mighty, those who know me will tell you I am neither of those things. I am just a realists and sometimes the calls go your way and sometimes you wreslte Norton!JOKE-JOKE-JOKE. I appreciate anyone who has the courage to go out in those black slacks and that striped shirt. We need more GOOD, YOUNG blood for our official core.

But just like the military-it is underappreciated and most of the time blamed for something that was beyond their control and happened in a blink of an eye.

My one cent!
Coach Brown

Jason C. Brown
Head Coach Anderson County JR/SR High
jbrown@usd365.org

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 169 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)