Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boo hoo #104615 03/08/07 05:47 AM
S
Shark16 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What a bunch of whiners ...
This from the Independence Examiner.

Playing fair?
Stalling tactic lifts Kansas to win, frustrates Missouri stars

By JASON TARWATER
Examiner Assistant Sports Editor

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Rarely has Blue Springs heavyweight Dom Bradley been so upset after a win.

Trailing Kansas by four points in the Mo-Kan Metro All-Star Classic, Bradley needed a major decision to tie. Anything better would give Missouri the win.

Instead, Bradley's opponent, Joe Payne, wrestled not to get pinned -- which included four stall calls -- and Bradley had to settle for a 5-0 decision.

The loss secured a 27-26 win for Kansas, marking the second Kansas win in a row at Kansas City Kansas Community College.

After Bradley won, the Kansas side of the gym started celebrating. As he went to get his hand raised, Bradley made a thumbs down motion to the Kansas crowd.

"It's (expletive deleted)," Bradley said after his match. "That's not even right. No way. You shouldn't win like that."

Bradley -- as well as the entire Missouri crowd -- was upset at the inactivity of Payne in the match, who was pushed backward by Bradley the entire first period. Payne never went for a shot or went on the offensive the entire match.

In the third period, Payne chose down and was hit for stalling twice for not trying to get off the mat.

Bradley's teammates shared his frustration.

"(Payne) did absolutely nothing," said Lee's Summit North's Nathan Neske, who lost a 6-2 decision to Lansing's Kyle Buehler in his 135-pound match. "If he was wrestling a real match and trying to beat a champion, he would have been pinned. Dom's that good."

Missouri coach Gary Mayabb of Oak Park was less frustrated with the calls in the final match as he was the situation Missouri had put itself into.

"The bottom line is (Kansas) did a good job with lead management," he said. "They put themselves in a spot where they tell their heavyweight, 'We don't need you to win. Just don't give up (a pin).' "

Missouri got in that position by losing five matches in a row. Leading 17-12 after Shane Nay of Oak Park (145) scored a 14-7 decision, Missouri found itself down 27-17 before Deron Winn (215) of Liberty scored a second-period pin to cut the lead to 27-23.

Matt Allen (112) was pinned by Paulie Hansen of Kansas City (Kan.) Turner, an undefeated state champion.

"His style more clashes with my style," Allen said. "He's really strong. I hung with him in the first period, but he caught me in the second period."

After Neske's loss, teammate Sam Thielen (152) lost an 8-1 decision to Dakota Hall of Fort Scott.

"I was out of shape and haven't wrestled in a while," Thielen said. "And he was really big. There's a question there, (and it) was we didn't (weigh in together). I'm not in a good mood and don't want to talk about it."

Kyle Campbell (171) of Lee's Summit lost a 6-1 decision to R.J. Nill of St. Thomas Aquinas before Bradley scored the area's only win.

Mayabb said he thought he had the lineup to win the dual this year, with three four-time state champions and two three-time champs. But, things just didn't go Missouri's way.

"They did a nice job," Mayabb said of Kansas. "They didn't fight power where they didn't have power. They just did a really nice job.

"I was impressed by them."

Mayabb also said he doesn't think anything happened with the weigh-ins, though weigh-ins were conducted at two different sites.

"I don't know if you ever want to question someone's integrity," he said. "Some of their kids looked big, but they wrestled awful well."

Reach Jason Tarwater at jason.tarwater@examiner.net or 350-6394.

Re: Boo hoo [Re: Shark16] #104616 03/08/07 05:51 AM
S
Shark16 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Are they really trying to accuse the Kansas guys of cheating on the weigh-ins?
Here's an idea for the guys from Missouri, and it's something they should have learned last year. Try taking this thing seriously, or expect to get pounded again next year. Kansas learned its lesson from gettin whooped three times in a row. Now the guys are showing up prepared, focused and confident.
Can I get an Amen?
Or better yet, Can I get an A-Hurla? Perhaps that should be the new battle cry for Team Kansas at this event, because it was Hurla's stunner last year that really turned this whole series around.

Re: Boo hoo [Re: Shark16] #104617 03/08/07 06:31 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Weigh in problem? Were they talking about an ACCHS guy? They naturally look big. I don't think how big it is, the excuses will be bigger.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Boo hoo [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #104623 03/08/07 11:45 AM
N
ninjagnat Offline
N
I really liked Mayabb's comment. Shows you what kind of stellar person/coach he is. He can be impressed by the victor and congratulate them on a job well done. He recognizes that Kansas worked within the boudaries to get the job done.

Too bad some of the other MO people are complaining so much. However, we'd probably have some of the same type of complaints and reactions were we in their situation (short of the thumbs down thing and a couple of the other excessives like accusations of cheating on weigh ins).

Re: Boo hoo [Re: ninjagnat] #104627 03/08/07 12:31 PM
W
wrestle007 Offline
W
obviously this writer did not know wrestling. its ok for bradley to be upset or whatever but lets be honest...is bradley was THAT much more dominant then payne he would have turned him regardless. i like how the kid from lee summitt north bitched when he lost his match...if he wins missouri doesnt have a problem with payne stalling.

Re: Boo hoo [Re: wrestle007] #104630 03/08/07 12:44 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
If a person is as good as the stat sheet then they should be able to find more ways to score. I saw a few potentially dangerous calls when wrestlers were going to their back that were stopped that shouldn't have been. These guys are wrestling at a high level and on their way to college. Trust me if you are going to your back in college the potential for stoppage most likely will not happen. Make Your Own Luck do not wait for someone to Wish you Luck.

"They did a nice job," Mayabb said of Kansas. "They didn't fight power where they didn't have power. They just did a really nice job.

"I was impressed by them."

Re: Boo hoo [Re: smokeycabin] #104637 03/08/07 02:03 PM
K
Kramer Offline
K
I usually don't comment on anything I usually just post results but I couldn't past this one up

Quote:
After Neske's loss, teammate Sam Thielen (152) lost an 8-1 decision to Dakota Hall of Fort Scott.

"I was out of shape and haven't wrestled in a while," Thielen said. "And he was really big. There's a question there, (and it) was we didn't (weigh in together). I'm not in a good mood and don't want to talk about it."
 Quote:

I think Dakota Hall is a very good wrestle and I have enjoyed watching him wrestled over the years from kids to high school but never in his entire career has he ever been confused with being big, I have joked with him and told him he would be a big 103 pounder but a big 152/160 pounder I don't think so.

Last edited by Kramer; 03/08/07 02:04 PM.
Re: Boo hoo [Re: Kramer] #104646 03/08/07 03:20 PM
Scott Fausset Offline
As usual, Coach Mayabb is a class act. He sets a good example for all of us to follow.

Last edited by Scott Fausset; 03/08/07 03:21 PM.

You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. -- Joseph Goldstein
Re: Boo hoo [Re: Shark16] #104657 03/08/07 04:52 PM
sonnersftbl4life Offline
 Originally Posted By: Shark16

Reach Jason Tarwater at jason.tarwater@examiner.net or 350-6394.

Ha ha. thats funny i weighed in right after Hall, so i was able to see how much he weighed. And well he made weight. I feel bad foe the Thielen kid. I would never make an excuse like that. If i lost i would never try and say that they other team was CHEATING. lol. We all were allowed 7 pounds, but it looked like we used it better than them

Re: Boo hoo [Re: Shark16] #104667 03/08/07 06:17 PM
T
TheTiger Offline
T
 Originally Posted By: Shark16

Bradley -- as well as the entire Missouri crowd -- was upset at the inactivity of Payne in the match, who was pushed backward by Bradley the entire first period.

That comment right there is enough to justify why the Missouri crowd and their wrestler should just shut up and stop whinning!!

If all Bradley did was "Push" Payne around then he was probably stalling too. The nerve of these guys is unbelieveable. As I have said in the past, excuses don't make champions.

Re: Boo hoo [Re: TheTiger] #104669 03/08/07 06:29 PM
T
TheTiger Offline
T
And further more, why is this even an issue? I guarantee you that had the situation been reversed MO would have done the exact same thing. Any smart wrestler knows how to stall tactfully. It seems very dumb to me for an obviously outmatched wrestler to go out and put himself in a position to get pinned. Its almost as if the MO people wanted Payne to lay down on his back because he was expected to get pinned.

Why is it that the Coach is the only one in this situation that is displaying any class? It speaks volumes for the type of kids Missouri wrestling is going to put out. I am a HUGE Mizzou fan since that is where I went to college, but born and raised here in Kansas. Frankly I don't want this guy Bradley on my Tigers team if this is the kind of attitude he is going to have. He reminds me of Steve Mocco, pushing guys around and hoping they are stupid enough to make a mistake.

Once again, job well done to Kansas and especially Mr. Payne.

Re: Boo hoo [Re: TheTiger] #104671 03/08/07 06:33 PM
W
wrestler1086 Offline
W
Well if it worked for Steve Mocco it must be worth trying. I am pretty sure he won some NCAA championships with it.

Re: Boo hoo [Re: wrestler1086] #104674 03/08/07 06:39 PM
T
TheTiger Offline
T
Thats not really the point of my comments. My point was that his strategy backfired against him the following year when he was unable to push Cole Konrad around or use his one move the foot sweep.

Re: Boo hoo [Re: TheTiger] #104683 03/08/07 07:11 PM
usawks1 Offline
Like I've said in a couple of places, it is too bad that so much emphasis has been placed on the hwt match.

I feel that Bradley and a lot of Missouri is merely voicing their frustrations. As Mayaab pointed out, Missouri did not do the wrestling necessary to secure the win. Bradley was put in that position by his team mates!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Boo hoo [Re: usawks1] #104691 03/08/07 07:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So in other words who's your daddy now.
OOOOOOOOOh snap!

Re: Boo hoo [Re: ] #104744 03/09/07 03:07 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I think good or bad press on this, the thing that is great is it creates bragging rights and gets fans excited. I would love to see something like a Wichita area All Stars v. Oklahoma City area all stars. You could include shchools like Andover Central and Derby for Kansas, and schools like Edmond North and Yukon in Oklahoma.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Boo hoo [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #104810 03/10/07 12:09 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
One thing is clear to me as I read this thread. A. Gary Mayhab is a great coach and a better guy. B. No one in the free world gives a darn what the Independence paper has to say about anything let alone this match. I get a kick out of the guy who said he has never seen "this tactic used to win a dual". Is this your first dual or what. "this tactic" has been used in every close dual since the beginning of duals. Heavyweights wrestle pretty much like that all the time anyway and it was called right, it just worked out for Kansas this time. "This tactic" is called doing what you have to do to win the dual. As for the weighins, Troy Hodges weighed them in and he doesn't have a dishonest bone in his body. I have known him for half my adult life and he has never cheated in his life. Before anyone insinuates that, they better check his references they are long and filled with integrity. Dakota had to run to make weight and he made it, fair and square and he did a great job wrestling and that is what this is all about. Both teams have often brought wrestlers down one and sometimes two weights for this match. I can give you the years and the wrestlers but this forum doesn't have enough room for it.

Re: Boo hoo [Re: Westfahl] #104813 03/10/07 01:37 AM
A
Andy Hurla Offline
A
I think there is something very good we can take out of this too. And that is that this event is very exciting. I go to school in the St. Louis area and they have a smiliar event with Mo v. Illinois, and there is hardly any excitement. Many good wrestlers TURN DOWN the offer to wrestle in it, but for the Mo-Kan, it is an awesome experience that wrestlers are honored to be a part of. Kids think about who else is a good senior at their weight that they beat to qualify them ahead, and so on. It is taken very seriously by the fans and I love it!

That is, as long as Kansas keeps winning!

Re: Boo hoo [Re: Andy Hurla] #104814 03/10/07 01:42 AM
usawks1 Offline
... and many wrestlers dream about competing in the event for years!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Boo hoo [Re: usawks1] #104827 03/10/07 09:07 AM
T
TheTiger Offline
T
Including one Mr. Randy Hinderliter. Unfortunately since Randy's age predates all known forms of wrestling he will never be able too \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 145 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)